• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will not be in TGS, leaving Microsoft as only console manufacturer with an event. Sony will sponsor indies instead.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/08/31/sony-absent-tokyo-game-show-2022-schedule/
The streaming schedule for the Tokyo Game Show 2022 has been revealed by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association and there is one notable absentee: Sony and PlayStation. The absence of the company is made even more pronounced by rival Microsoft’s scheduled show on September 15.

Sony’s absence from the streaming schedule (thanks Gematsu) is not too surprising when coupled with earlier news that the publisher was not part of the “General Exhibition” list, meaning they weren’t expected to have a significant presence on the show floor either. Sony Interactive Entertainment is listed under the “Indie Game Corner” section of the show, which suggests PlayStation Indies will at least be turning up.

They will sponsor indies in the Indie Corner, but they won't have any presence in the TGS itself in any form. Considering the promise to do more for Japan that's not a very good sign. While Sony will of course be the number one console manufacturer in Japan given they don't have any competition, I highly doubt they will sell very well at this rate, especially with the horrible software sales in Japanese charts.

I think the PS5 will sell better than the Wii U in the end, but not by much.

In the meantime, Microsoft has two largely covered press events where they are the only ones to show up. Which will only help their appeal. They won't outsell Sny in Japan, but they can be on track with meeting or exceeding the 360 at the current rate which is good for overall sales and the brand building up in Japan.

Sony really needs to fix their software sales issue in Japan, as that's going to impact sales later once stock stabilizes, which is already starting to happen. Even a low selling Switch title will block a PS5 game from showing up on the charts with just a couple thousand copies sold, that is not a good sign. Indies won't help them get there.

reksveks

how many comments till we talk about the definition of console and whether it applies to the switch?

sendit

Unfortunately, Sony doesn't do third party hosted showcases anymore in any region. They have State of Play events. From a developer's perspective, it's probably easier on them since they aren't on a specific timeline/due date to create a vertical slice of a game in development.

Mr Moose

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
[PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 68,341 (New)
[NSW] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 38,634 (New)
[PS4] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 31,604 (New)
[PS5] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 24,363 (New)
[PS5] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 20,257 (New)
[PS4] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 17,950 (New)
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,644 (4,802,581)
[NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 10,576 (706,637)
[PS4] Saints Row (PLAION, 08/23/22) – 10,013 (New)
[PS5] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 9,625 (New)

Last edited:

tusharngf

giphy.gif

I thought we were done with console war baiting threads here GAF? You legit have it pinned to the top of the forum board. Can we please start at least temp banning these folks that continuously post them?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Unfortunately, Sony doesn't do third party hosted showcases anymore in any region. They have State of Play events. From a developer's perspective, it's probably easier on them since they aren't on a specific timeline/due date to create a vertical slice of a game in development.
Big shows such as E3 costs Xbox around 30 million to put on so not doing any major shows adds up to a lot of saved cash

He's busy working on Xbox, maybe we'll even get more of a glimpse on what it is
When games get announced with the game director just talking about what they'll be making, you should be prepared to wait X number of years for a real-time trailer.

These types of announcements are worse than CGI announcement trailers because you realise just how far off a release must be.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They are scared of the Japanese audience now that they've raised the price. Gonna get booed out and pelted with water bottles.

Half Baked Boo GIF

I wouldn't blame them for keeping mum for a while, 20% is not an insignificant amount.

SNG32

Sony is leaving there presence to die in Japan. I expect switch, pc and mobile being the dominant platforms for Japan and Asia as a whole.

Fbh

Square will be there, and they have the only exclusive Sony stuff that's relevant to the japanese market.

What's are Sony themselves going to go show a Japanese audience that's already annoyed by the price increase? God of War and The Last of Us?

When games get announced with the game director just talking about what they'll be making, you should be prepared to wait X number of years for a real-time trailer.

These types of announcements are worse than CGI announcement trailers because you realise just how far off a release must be.
Ms has releases in store for Gamepass for the next 7 years at least!
Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

Spyxos

I am not really a fan of those State of Play events. It would be better to have 1-2 big events in a year and get all new games/information at once. Right now it feels like they have 5+ events in a year and most of them feel like i wasted my time.

I'm not sure which end you are on, but thank you for this link proving my point that the PS5 software sales are pretty bad, two PS4 games above it, NSW domination, some weeks it's ONLY the Switch, and look at those low number.

Sony has to change things up for Japan to increase those software sales.

I thought we were done with console war baiting threads here GAF? You legit have it pinned to the top of the forum board. Can we please start at least temp banning these folks that continuously post them?

What console is warring with the PS5 in Japan? Itself? Read the thread carefully.

Sony has been absent from these shows since like 2018... it's been like 4 years. It would be news if they were going tbh

2019, but you are correct, on inspection outside limited presence in 2020 they have been missing the TGS. But they may need to change that to hold PS up in Japan with the contracting console market.

Leyasu

Banned
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/08/31/sony-absent-tokyo-game-show-2022-schedule/

They will sponsor indies in the Indie Corner, but they won't have any presence in the TGS itself in any form. Considering the promise to do more for Japan that's not a very good sign. While Sony will of course be the number one console manufacturer in Japan given they don't have any competition, I highly doubt they will sell very well at this rate, especially with the horrible software sales in Japanese charts.

I think the PS5 will sell better than the Wii U in the end, but not by much.

In the meantime, Microsoft has two largely covered press events where they are the only ones to show up. Which will only help their appeal. They won't outsell Sny in Japan, but they can be on track with meeting or exceeding the 360 at the current rate which is good for overall sales and the brand building up in Japan.

Sony really needs to fix their software sales issue in Japan, as that's going to impact sales later once stock stabilizes, which is already starting to happen. Even a low selling Switch title will block a PS5 game from showing up on the charts with just a couple thousand copies sold, that is not a good sign. Indies won't help them get there.
When are you going to bust out the Garfield avatar??

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Big shows such as E3 costs Xbox around 30 million to put on so not doing any major shows adds up to a lot of saved cash
While true.... I'm not seeing where they are spending it.
"Doing things on their own time" as someone put it = Not actually bothering.
Because they don't have to put on a show and be judged and compared to the competition.

These Directs, SOP & Showcases were supposed to be more engaging, more frequent & direct with the consumer.
But just like Social Media has changed how people interact so has these streamed directs has changed how they interact with gamers.

Sony used to visit with presents twice a year.
Now we get a awkward 15min call once in a while to say Hi and let's know what they've been up to and you're lucky if you get a facetime in the holidays for hour or so but that's hit and miss on whether they remember to give you a call.

Jennings

There's so much absolute trash in the indie space coming out every single day that the gaming community needs a big dog like Sony to point us towards the good stuff. There's absolutely no way to miss what AAA games Sony has coming, so if they want to support the little guys by promoting the bonafide winners, I'm all for it. Quality indie games need all the promotion they can get, and if I were an indie dev I would be thrilled to have a titan like Sony lending a hand. And as a consumer I welcome such information.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
is that really surprise to anyone? For most part Sony completely abandoned any idea supporting Japanese first party games and mostly focus on western market.

Yoboman

Problem for events like TGS and E3 is they are essentially press events that have lost all meaning. Companies don't need the press to spread their marketing now that they have direct to consumer channels that get far more eyeballs

I do wish Sony would bring back something like PSX though. That was a good idea

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Either way I'm still excited for TGS, Sony was more E3 then anything and the 3rd Party games did the talking when it came to TGS.
Just because they're not there doesn't mean we ain't going to get some Playstation announcements.

And on that note
Congratulations to me! 🥳
WZXhHoN.jpg

It doesn't feel like 15 years 😕

Today is just sad news all around... No Infinite campaign coop split screen. BotW2 delayed until 2024. Sony having no presence for its local fans yet again at TGS. Ready for 2023 already.

Edit: random twitter post predicted that BotW2 delayed. Not confirmed. My bad.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Today is just sad news all around... No Infinite campaign coop split screen. BotW2 delayed until 2024. Sony having no presence for its local fans yet again at TGS. Ready for 2023 already.

Did ya really think any console dev gave a shit announcing stuff here?

Sony are well, Sony and doing their own shit with random state of plays and showcases.

MS did a blowout at E3 then nothing after inc gamescom.

Ninty does treehouse events or whatever.

At this point TGS is third party and caters more so to Asian speaking audiences. Nothing all 3 of the compaies seem to give a shit about.

Realistucally hope for gameplay from asian devs. If ya being optimistic hope for an announcement from an asian dev.

Did ya really think any console dev gave a shit announcing stuff here?

Sony are well, Sony and doing their own shit with random state of plays and showcases.

MS did a blowout at E3 then nothing after inc gamescom.

Ninty does treehouse events or whatever.

At this point TGS is third party and caters more so to Asian speaking audiences. Nothing all 3 of the compaies seem to give a shit about.

Realistucally hope for gameplay from asian devs. If ya being optimistic hope for an announcement from an asian dev.
Doing tree houses and state of plays is fine. Though I think having a physical presence at gaming events is also highly beneficial for fans, a nice gesture of appreciation.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Like the elder scrolls 6 reveal where there were a generic background with elder scrolls slapped on it.

FUBARx89

Doing tree houses and state of plays is fine. Though I think having a physical presence at gaming events is also highly beneficial for fans, a nice gesture of appreciation.

They don't care anymore, let's be honest, platform holders feel like they've outgrown them.

Sony hasn't bothered properly for a while now, they're more bothered about state of plays and whatever in sep.

Ms does them with Beth, outside of E3, then shows up as smaller events with day1 stuff, such as gamescom.

Ninty is a wildcard who goes "Heyyyy, this what we have!" Whenever they want. Could be TGS, Gamescom, dorito popes properganda or e3. They simply don't care.

I'm not sure which end you are on, but thank you for this link proving my point that the PS5 software sales are pretty bad, two PS4 games above it, NSW domination, some weeks it's ONLY the Switch, and look at those low number.

Sony has to change things up for Japan to increase those software sales.

What console is warring with the PS5 in Japan? Itself? Read the thread carefully.

2019, but you are correct, on inspection outside limited presence in 2020 they have been missing the TGS. But they may need to change that to hold PS up in Japan with the contracting console market.
Ohhh, I read it carefully my friend. And I understand what you are up to. I see you bruh, I see you 👁 lol

Top Bottom