• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1100$ and beast PC in the same sentence. LOL.
I wouldn't consider anything below 4080 a pc worth owning over a ps5 honestly... and 4080 alone is 1400$
Otherwise.... ok 3090, 3080 (only 12gb version) and some other stuff is still perfectly fine. But to get a real leg up and above ps5 quality, 4080 with dlss3 is the way to go.
Of course still good Oled tv and HDR. Otherwise I don't care if the game is 1000fps... if it's played on a shitty ips monitor

Braag

7S5eDh4.gif

Gaiff

I wouldn't consider anything below 4080 a pc worth owning over a ps5 honestly... and 4080 alone is 1400$
Otherwise.... ok 3090, 3080 (only 12gb version) and some other stuff is still perfectly fine. But to get a real leg up and above ps5 quality, 4080 with dlss3 is the way to go.
Of course still good Oled tv and HDR. Otherwise I don't care if the game is 1000fps... if it's played on a shitty ips monitor
Why stop there?

RTX_4080_price.PNG

Ozriel

M$FT
Well in that case eat your heart out.

But as a PS5 owner, I kind of WANT to be tempted to double dip on some of these games. They could do that by really fleshing out these ports. I want them to shamelessly seduce a graphics whore like me.

Even with visibly better visuals, it’s not exactly a sensible financial decision to double dip.

Go play Diablo or something else

BlackTron

If you don't mind waiting over 2 years for a port, sure.

I was patient enough to wait for the PS5 hardware revision and I survived not playing the first one until I could grab it for ten bucks. I do want access to PS studio games but they usually aren't critical enough for me to buy day one. I think the only one I needed to have right away and paid full $60 for last gen was Ghost of Tsushima.

Rift Apart was actually the first game I wanted to get for PS5...and the VR headset isn't the no-brainer choice I thought it was either. Before anyone gets mad lol, PS5 is a very strong platform, but I'm a patient man with a big backlog already, and its games are trickling to PC. Completely takes the wind out of the PS5 sails for me.

Besides, what am I missing? PS4 engine Spider-Man with buffed settings and effects? That will eventually come to PC anyway? Sorry if that's below the belt, but...yeah lol

SNG32

This is my sentiment as well. I wouldn't expect PC ports to be fundamentally different than the PS5 counterpart. This isn't the PS3 and PS4 generations where many console games were running at Sub-HD res and limited to 30fps. Most of the PS5 ports are already running at 4K (or dynamic 4K) and ~60fps (or higher). R&C runs as native 4K/ ~50fps unlocked with RT on PS5 already. Sure ultrawide support is nice and RT shadows will be negligible so there isn't really any incentive to rebuy this if you've already played and enjoyed the PS5

The key is about adding value to the console which I'd argue Sony is still maintaining. With MSFT's strategy of PC games day and date, I can see this point. But with PC ports coming 1-2 years later with a virtually identical port (for some depending on their system), there is no reason to pass on playing a great game on PS5 to wait for a PC ports years later. It's only for folks who only game on PC to have access to these games (not for existing PS5 gamers to want to rebuy)

To be clear, Sony/Insomniac never said that this game was ONLY possible on PS5. The whole point of the PS5 is make it easier for developers to harness more advanced capabilities and push technology forward. The SSD and dedicated I/O HW aren't doing magic that can't be replicated anywhere else. It's main purpose is to offload work from the CPU (and GPU) to improve efficiency and utilization of resources. Ratchet and Clank is coming a full 2 years after the PS5...for a reason. Porting this to PC was not easy. You heard the FFXVI producer talk about how PC is coming a year or more later because it'll take time to figure out how to optimize for it. For R&C on PC you can expect SSD and DirectStorage as a minimal requirements and very high CPU specs for stable performance that matches PS5.

I'll count on it
As long as I’m able to play this on my 3070 laptop with a 5900hx at 1080p 60 fps I’m cool.

Larxia

Showcase was about supporting Playstation. They prefer to release this quietly to the PC neckbeards for extra revenue while the masses don't even realize there is less reason to get into their ecosystem
They did it with Spider-Man though.

Zuzu

Rift Apart is a really fun game and some of the best graphics out there. I didn't like the characters and story much though.

Kerotan

For any PlayStation master race guys out there this is now included with playstation extra. It runs a dream on ps5 also.

Good to see this launching on pc though. The late race can add some funds to the next ratchet budget.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a PS5 and a PC. If I wanted to get this game (I don't), I would get it on PS5 because my PC isnt hooked up to my TV and I dont want it to be. But a lot of people dont have both. If you have a PC chances are you will NEVER get a PS5 and this is the ONLY way you will play the game. If you have a PS5 chances are you will NEVER get a gaming PC and as such the PS5 is the ONLY way you will play this game. So from that perspective, porting these games to PC makes sense because it's just extra money.

The risk is devaluing the PlayStation brand, and making it clear you don't need to be on it to play these games, we'll see how it works out.

Don't forget live service games too, which will take time from their first party studios (caught caught naughty dogs).

How could anyone forget, they opened their last showcase with a CGI trailer of one! 😂

This game didn't move many PS5 so meh.

I'm interested in this mainly because of the technological implications. Will Nixxes used DirectStorage? 1.1 was still in the beta phase by the time they were working on this so I'm wondering if they were able to implement it anyway.

The way I look at it is this: yes there aren't millions of people who rushed out to buy a PS5 for Rift Apart, but there's probably 10,000 who did. Maybe those 10,000 love the franchise so much they went and got a PS5 for it, but then let's say half of them could have waited a couple years before getting one. But if they know they can just wait that same amount of time to get the game on PC, and they have a PC that can run the game, then that's 5,000 less PS5 console sales.

Now think of the hundreds of similar games with small pockets of people who'd buy a PS5 for that game, but if they're something like 5,000 for each game, and there are other factors that could impact this as well (the game is multiplatform, for example). Say 100 of such games releases in a year...that's a potential 500,000 less console sales. For a brand that can push 20 or so million systems a year that may not seem like a lot, but it's still 500,000 less consoles.

Maybe these are in fact reasons Sony seem comfortable with this strategy. I realize that. I realize we're in the minority and companies like Sony realize that, too. But I've always also spoke about these kind of strategies from POVs besides just sales figures, such as what prestige & brand identity it does for a console, the culture that is impacted on the console by these strategies, how the console library could be regarded & judged down the line in terms of uniqueness, how the image of elusiveness and limited range of offering can drive demand for the platform both in the present and the future, etc.

This is good news. For everyone including Sony, despite some of the shit takes ive seen in this thread.

Why would I necessarily care if this is good news for Sony? It's like saying I should be happy about the ABK acquisition because it would be good news for Microsoft. Why would I care? That does nothing for my own pockets.

It's a great game that PC users can enjoy now.

It would be great if PSVR2 owners could enjoy Half-Life Alyx, too.

And it would be good for sony to simply put NVMe or atleast SATA SSD storage as a minimum requirement. If the game is meant to run in a certain way, no point in trying and failing to optimise for HDDs.

Since Nixxes is handling this, i have high hopes.

Well the quality of the port is not in doubt; as you said it's Nixxes handling the task. This is what they do.

Interesting....

FxCyax5WAAERhOf

When did he say this?

BlackTron

They did it with Spider-Man though.

Different day, different technique.

Nintendo guards their back catalog very closely and doesn't like to "give it away". Thus the current streaming service. But they hyped the NES Mini to high heaven when they were down for the count and needed it.

I'm not saying Sony announcing SM for PC in 2002 was in the same place Nintendo was desperate for good mind share and revenue with NES Mini. Just that their strategies change with differing moods and in reaction to different states of the company, the market, where they are, and where they are trying to get.

manfestival

Was looking forward to playing this when I eventually got a PS5 but I guess I can pass on that and get it on PC. Either way, this is a win for all

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly, they seem to busy porting games then making new games for PS5.
come on you gotta admit that's exactly how it looks(even though it's not)
I can understand frustrations, but these are being ported by a port/assist studio they purchased.

Nothing to do with their legacy studios.

I wouldn't double dip on this as it already looks very good on PS5 and the RT is so minor unlike Spider-Man that I can't see it being a huge leap on PC.

Some of the levels (the open-ish world ones) look very barren compared to the more linear ones but I doubt they will do anything to improve these and they still look good.

Good game though even if I got a bit bored by the end. Well worth it if you like shooting based platformers.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol, I thought they said this game was only possible on ps5?

Should do well on pc, this genre has no representation on pc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just finished on PS5 last week, good game, nothing to write home about it

Visuals: 10/10 - Just fantastic
Gampley 8/10 - so much miss oportunity with Rivet, Rivet and Clank sharing the same gameplay was a dumb idea.
Story 7/10 - dumb kid plot

So overall it's a 8.5/10. I'd agree with that. Great game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Love this series, and figured it’d be up next.

Just like Returnal, I can see this playing better with mouse and keyboard.

Fbh

Was just playing this yesterday.
It's pretty fun and looks absolutely amazing.

Good get for PC.

Puscifer

Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

This also means The Snitch was right 2 days ago (or was it tom Henderson?) about Playstation releasing a PC port in July. This is the game.
To me I like separate PC stuff, it keeps fans and shareholders happy that there's an implication the console is still the main focus while they have ports on the back burner. How would it look with the Spider-Man controversy with a port of a "better looking PS5 exclusive coming to PC from the same company!"

bender

What time is it?
So overall it's a 8.5/10. I'd agree with that. Great game.

I think of Insomniac like I do summer blockbuster movies as both are highly enjoyable when you are consuming them, often visually stunning, but hard to remember a few months down the line. It's why the Spider-Man pairing was such a great fit for them.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This is good news. For everyone including Sony, despite some of the shit takes ive seen in this thread.

It's a great game that PC users can enjoy now. And it would be good for sony to simply put NVMe or atleast SATA SSD storage as a minimum requirement. If the game is meant to run in a certain way, no point in trying and failing to optimise for HDDs.

Since Nixxes is handling this, i have high hopes.

There's a good deal of games that require an SSD and will turn into stutterfest it you try to use a HDD instead.

However they're games that don't change the full setting in a couple of seconds. I bet there's a bunch of gamers using SATA SSDs that will try to use those in this game and it won't go well.

I don't see how this game will work without a NVMe and DirectStorage. Perhaps it works fine on a PCIe 3.0 NVMe because it's a 1st-gen PS5 game and Insomniac probably aimed low at the console's data streaming capabilities at the time (also because they most probably developed this on PCs with PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives). But on the 5x slower SATA there's bound to be some problems.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
My 4090 and my Firecuda 530 are both ready.
And just to be sure, this is AMD (shitty) ray tracing right?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Well in that case eat your heart out.

But as a PS5 owner, I kind of WANT to be tempted to double dip on some of these games. They could do that by really fleshing out these ports. I want them to shamelessly seduce a graphics whore like me.
Agreed, I double dipped and put another 60 hours into Returnal and did 3 loops. It feels so good to play and all the extra RT effects really ground the world.

Zathalus

A 4070 is perfectly fine as well. 70-80% faster than a PS5 in non RT, over 100% in RT, and DLSS 3. It's a significant step up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

It was a PlayStation 5 phase 2 showcase.

Do you have any idea the wailing that would’ve happened if they did a couple PC announcements? Especially after that weak showing.

Sony was smart to wait.

Perrott

Gold Member
I hope we don't have to wait another whole year for the next Nixxes port, this time of a title not from Insomniac Games, if it's not too much to ask.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus or Ghost of Tsushima would be nice.

feynoob

Banned
Demon Souls is now the only true PS5 exclusive wow :/

Whatever. I’ll just get a PC next Gen. $550 on the ps5, $550 for my series X? Yeah I’ll just invest ~$1100 on a beast pc and get the next Nintendo console.
This gen is PC gen.
Steam is taking it's a throne from everyone.

Top Bottom