• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

Zathalus

No it can't. Pc ports are so trash they barely even run on console equivalents. Look at Hogwarts and Jedi. To play this the way ps5 plays it, I recon you'll need atleast a 3080.
Jedi drops to sub 720p with drops into the 20s on FPS as well on PS5. A 3060 can match that.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My other PS5 games are all physical so I can sell them when Sony announces a PC ports (GOW Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7).
This is the only PS5 game I purchased digitally on PS5 because I legit thought it will be technically impossible. Oh well.

Still going to double dip on Steam.

Guilty_AI

I for one look forward to the Rivet mods.
dea24bb086cae1865a030c19f981e4d0b46652cf67be43a9aa81c65bb809e579_1.jpg

except that not really, since Sony and MS understand that in order to keep your games actually exclusive, they need powerful hardware and even more powerful security. Nintendo at the moment has neither so the exclusives for them fall flat on their face due to Yuzu & Ryujinx. TOTK was playable on PC a whole week before releasing on Switch, that's something that never happened with any Playstation or Xbox exclusive

That's one way to look at it, but you can't act like Nintendo are publicly vocalizing and marketing support for those emulators. Hell, they're trying to get them shut down or at least banned if anything. Their branding strategy does not acknowledge PC whatsoever, and none of their games have official ports on PC nor are sold on PC storefronts.

The people using emulators to play their games is absolutely minuscule, as a direct result. You're talking about < 1% of total actual customers of their games, you can tell this by TOTK's sales themselves and accompanying sales boons of the Switch.

sachos

Interested to see how this works with HDDs or if it even works with that. Those Steam page pictures look amazing! I see they added RT Shadows not present on PS5?

Last edited:
I literally just finished R&C a couple of days ago.

I wasn't massively impressed with the core gameplay as it can feel rather simplistic at times.

However, it does have a ton of charm and it really does look incredible.

The textures are some of the most consistently top tier I've ever seen.
I am slightly confused as to how this will run, as all the hype when it came out was that it couldn't run unless it was on a high speed SSD.

Remember, all that talk at launch about how it couldn't be done on last gen etc...was why PS4 didn't see a release.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine and I can only imagine how good it'll look running on the best pc money can buy.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Several year old platformer which is not exactly a genre PC gamers dig too much.
Add zero marketing on top and I don`t see a scenario where this succeeds.
where it's sold on steam for 10 bucks several months of the year for the next forever

How am I supposed to be running this game without the magic SSD from the PS5? Only having a peasant SSD.

My guess is that the game will use the same technology that Nixxes used for Spider-Man Remastered / Miles Morales as well as adding support for DirectStorage.

Bojji

They can avoid need for super speedy storage by having all loaded into memory for each level. Let's hope it is not another broken port.

lmimmfn

Hope it runs ok on steam deck, love playing all my PlayStation I mean PC games on the move

Last edited:

Holammer

One of the writers involved caused an internal shit storm because others wanted to give Rivet makeup and some curves, as seen in the concept art. So to give Sam Maggs the finger, how about a mod doing just that and it could be done tastefully.

If a mod turns rivet into a double-d shortstack, then by all means.

03c9eea2b33c4a4ed7fe66043b20ec36feb81b528a7bd9852fb2f2a730940e87.jpg

DareDaniel

Banned
This was the only true PS5 exclusive that I wanted on PC. Next -> Final Fantasy XVI.
PS5 might be the first PS console that I skip. Some of the Sony's recent exclusives were meh (Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Horizon games...) and the new focus on live service games is shit. And I get to enjoy Nintendo and Xbox exclusives on PC as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And this is why porting to PC is a bad decision.
They will lose customers, who will now spend money on Steam instead of PSN and Retail. Both 3rd party titles and 1st Party titles, PS will lose money. Same as if I move to Steam. Ive spend thousands since the PS3

They would be smarter to buy the game on PC, where it will always be readily available and playable. Unlike those thousands you spent on PS3 that are locked down to die on PS3.
Had they been on PC they’d still be readily available to buy and play.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I have some popular Ratchet games, which I got for free, on Ps3 and Ps4 , but I didn't play them more than 10 minutes. I don't get the hype around those games. Maybe I should give them more time someday.

DareDaniel

Banned
They would be smarter to buy the game on PC, where it will always be readily available and playable. Unlike those thousands you spent on PS3 that are locked down to die on PS3.
Had they been on PC they’d still be readily available to buy and play.
True. My PS3 collection is useless today because the console doesn't even read discs anymore.
In the meantime, i got Binary Domain on PC this week after a few clicks.

Last edited:

Allandor

So, for the fanboys: How can that be possible as the tech will never run on PCs?

(Sorry for trolling so far :) )

Nice move from Sony to release the "older" games for PC. I hope we get a steady stream of those titles so everyone can enjoy them.

Projects like this might also make their streaming service a bit cheaper for them as they no longer need specialized hardware to "play" those games. I guess this is also why they want to do more for PC so they can handle multiple problems at once.

Last edited:

Filben

I cant wait to run this off my HDD.
Please do report back. I'm being sincere.

When the game came out I've watched some random developer on YouTube claiming that the traversal could have been done on a PS3; of course with not as many assets, polygons, texture size and general the visual fidelity of a PS5, that goes without saying, but the instantenous traversal between worlds.

I'm no developer and we never could have tested that hypothesis before so we never knew if that was just PR bullshit from the original devs and that YouTube video was right. But now though, we could at least test a conventional hard disk drive and see how it is up to the task.

YCoCg

So, for the fanboys: How can that be possible as the tech will never run on PCs?
That quote was from two years ago, in that time NVME PCIe 4.0 prices have dived, their speeds have got faster (this game could run on a NVME rated just 2.5Gb/s btw) and even PCIe 5.0 has come out which is way beyond that, as well as Microsoft releasing DirectStorage at OS level for Windows 10 and 11. Tech has advanced quickly for SSD's, I don't know why people are angry at that quote, it'd be like bringing up Bill Gates "You only need 640Kb of RAM" or Nvidia's "You wont need a GPU with more than 2GB VRAM" quotes years later as a gotcha.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I've already played the game through but I am tempted just to find out how much better the best-looking game can look.

Fabieter

Is there any point in buying a ps5 anymore ? I mean except for casual gamers

It kinda feels like a lifestyle product at this point where you have to pay a premium for almost everything. Wont sell mine but if playstation stays on course than it will definitely be my last playstation console as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is there any point in buying a ps5 anymore ? I mean except for casual gamers
Post in thread 'God Of War coming to PC on January 14'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/god-of-war-coming-to-pc-on-january-14.1621559/post-264858395
Yeah I'm skipping PS5 at this point
Post in thread 'Sackboy: A Big Adventure reportedly found on SteamDB'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sack...tedly-found-on-steamdb.1622123/post-264906871
It's becoming harder and harder to justify a 500€, paid-online box with 80€ games

You dust off your alt every time an announcement’s made? 😂

Dafegamer

Sony is so weird. They just had a showcase last week. Why not announce this in there? The exposire would be much bigger?

This also means The Snitch was right 2 days ago (or was it tom Henderson?) about Playstation releasing a PC port in July. This is the game.
Sony has been consistently "weird" once Hulst and Ryan took over sadly 🫤

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I guess people need an ssd to play this game right? Right? Sony said it can be only done with the power of it's ssd 👀
Compared to the PS4's HDD, yes. They compared it to the gen prior that has a max data stream of 16MB/s (used in Spider-Man), where as this game does 500MB bursts in less than a second.

We shall see if an SSD is min spec, and/or how it will operate on HDDs.

Top Bottom