• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Won’t Screen All of Spider-Man: No Way Home For Critics Until the Premiere

Pagusas

Elden Member
Harry Styles in the credits.

Variety spoiled it right when the premiere ended.
oh right. that was so minor I didn’t even think about it. I wonder if all we’ve seen in the trailers is from the first 1/3rd of the movie.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
oh right. i’m that was so minor I didn’t even think about it. I wonder if all we’ve seen in the trailers is from the first 1/3rd of the movie.
No they have stuff from later in the movie but with the other Spideys digitally removed.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Doesn’t that mean the movie isn’t good if they don’t want critics to see it?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Great news. It should be less. Why they get to see it first and spoil it for everyone and they will because click addiction.

Kagey K

Banned
How the fuck is a movie critic supposed to review it based on only seeing a portion of the movie?

They are basically video game reviewers now, review the entire thing based on only the portion they saw. 😅

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sonys teasing, as well as assinine marketing stunts like “the cast reacts to the new trailer” or “new trailer special screening” has made me lose almost all interest in this flick tbh, that on top of people flexing their day one tickets on twitter. Like who the fuck cares? Ill go see it on cheapo 5 dollar tuesday at my local theatre two or three weeks after it comes out. While all the kids are at school and the reeeeing fan boys have had their fill already

hemo memo

Gold Member
How the fuck is a movie critic supposed to review it based on only seeing a portion of the movie?
Here is an insane idea. What if they actually grow some self-control and not act like privileged brats and wait see the full movie with everyone else before giving their final thoughts?

Kagey K

Banned
Sonys teasing, as well as assinine marketing stunts like “the cast reacts to the new trailer” or “new trailer special screening” has made me lose almost all interest in this flick tbh, that on top of people flexing their day one tickets on twitter. Like who the fuck cares? Ill go see it on cheapo 5 dollar tuesday at my local theatre two or three weeks after it comes out. While all the kids are at school and the reeeeing fan boys have had their fill already
Fomo and fear of spoilers is really out of control now.

It's like on Soth Park when Cartman was like "I saw The Terrance and Phillip movie, now who wants to touch me?"

Nobody gives a fuck and in 2 years when it's on Netflix it will mostly go ignored.

Overhyped schlock. In 30 years when people are making what movie frome the 10s/20s what should I watch....I doubt it makes a mention.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fomo and fear of spoilers is really out of control now.

It's like on Soth Park when Cartman was like "I saw The Terrance and Phillip movie, now who wants to touch me?"

Nobody gives a fuck and in 2 years when it's on Netflix it will mostly go ignored.

Overhyped schlock. In 30 years when people are making what movie frome the 10s/20s what should I watch....I doubt it makes a mention.
Fear of spoilers? The movie is not even out so of course the majority of people seeing this new movie for first time don’t want their experience affected. Seeing how some media behaved like children how want everyone experience ruined because click-bait in previous MCU and Sony movies, it is obvious why they did this.

After a week Youtube will be filled with click-bait thumbnails anyways. But if the company can protect the experience of fans who cared to be the first to watch it then more power to them.

Kagey K

Banned
Fear of spoilers? The movie is not even out so of course the majority of people seeing this new movie for first time don’t want their experience affected. Seeing how some media behaved like children how want everyone experience ruined because click-bait in previous MCU and Sony movies, it is obvious why they did this.

After a week Youtube will be filled with click-bait thumbnails anyways. But if the company can protect the experience of fans who cared to be the first to watch it then more power to them.
The big secret was let out of the bag already, as is everything nowadays.

People either need to get better at keeping secrets, or stay the fuck off the internet, if they don't want to be spoiled.

It's so silly to me, but obviously it's serious business too others

reksveks

Here is an insane idea. What if they actually grow some self-control and not act like privileged brats and wait see the full movie with everyone else before giving their final thoughts?
You act like consumers wait for day 2/3 reviews? There is a benefit of having a review before the movie is out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Who at this point DOESN'T know that Toby and Andrew are in it? Seriously?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We all know.

But there will be more wild shit in this film that we know nothing about

I would assume with the time shenanigans going on there's going to be a scene where Peter realises he could somehow go back in time to save Stark but that he shouldn't because it'll fuck something else up.

That's about as wild as it can possible get outside of the stack of heroes and villains everybody already knows are there.

ManaByte

Gold Member
We all know.

But there will be more wild shit in this film that we know nothing about

I think the secrecy Mystery Box bullshit is causing people to invent crazy things in their mind and people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Venom for instance. There's probably going to be A LOT of people complaining about that after the Carnage credit scenes made them create something in their minds and what's in this is NOT what they were wanting.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The big secret was let out of the bag already, as is everything nowadays.

People either need to get better at keeping secrets, or stay the fuck off the internet, if they don't want to be spoiled.

It's so silly to me, but obviously it's serious business too others
Will, it is “officially” not confirmed yet. Also just because someone revealed a leak pic obviously stolen from the set that probably got a lot of people into trouble or worse fired, doesn’t mean a journalist can ruin it for everyone for the love of clicks.
You act like consumers wait for day 2/3 reviews? There is a benefit of having a review before the movie is out.
40 minutes of the movie is more than enough to have a general idea. This way you avoid the horny for clicks Youtube thumbnails and tweets from who can’t even wait to get out the movie screen for that dopamine rush. As much as I criticize Sony decisions but this one is absolutely the right one.

reksveks

40 minutes of the movie is more than enough to have a general idea. This way you avoid the horny for clicks Youtube thumbnails and tweets from who can’t even wait to get out the movie screen for that dopamine rush. As much as I criticize Sony decisions but this one is absolutely the right one.

40 minutes of a 148 minute movie is not enough for a review or replacement of a review, its really not. It's okay for a preview but I wouldn't even give it that. I don't mind tv shows have previews and impressions but movies aren't the same thing/experiences. i would be interested to see if anyone decides to turn down the screener.

Peeking In Andrew Garfield GIF by A24

get over yourself sony. if tobey is in it then it's the worst kept secret. show the full film so critics can give it a proper review.

all this does is makes me think they are desperate for people to talk about it and cover up the fact it's not all that great a film. who knows maybe it will be but that's what sony's silly behaviour makes me think right now and honestly i'm not sure if i want to bother going seeing it at all.

hemo memo

Gold Member
get over yourself sony. if tobey is in it then it's the worst kept secret. show the full film so critics can give it a proper review.

all this does is makes me think they are desperate for people to talk about it and cover up the fact it's not all that great a film. who knows maybe it will be but that's what sony's silly behaviour makes me think right now and honestly i'm not sure if i want to bother going seeing it at all.
They already have pre-sales tickets record since Endgame and that was pre Covid. Critics can wait like everyone else to watch the full movie.

hemo memo

Gold Member
40 minutes of a 148 minute movie is not enough for a review or replacement of a review, its really not. It's okay for a preview but I wouldn't even give it that. I don't mind tv shows have previews and impressions but movies aren't the same thing/experiences. i would be interested to see if anyone decides to turn down the screener.
I said 40 minutes is enough to have a general idea of the movie. They can have their full review after.

reksveks

I said 40 minutes is enough to have a general idea of the movie. They can have their full review after.
Who is the 'they' in your comment?

Going back to my comment. I think day 0/1 reviews are helpful for consumers.

I also think that those articles that are reviews/previews need to be based on that whole film to be helpful for consumers. I don't think that is true for TV shows.

If you argue that more consumers should wait for reviews to come out before buying tickets (if they care about that for what reasons aka money or time constrained), I agree with you.

Umbasaborne

Banned

I read the wikipedia plot for almost every movie before i see it. My rationale, if the movie isnt entertaining beyond its surprises and twists than its a bad movie

Umbasaborne

Banned

They are eating up all this attention right now, and they are going to look like desperate idiots while they milk it for every last drop

RAÏSanÏa

They going to retaliate with a bad review?
That'll show them. That'll show everybody.

Better be a good 40 minutes. Some movies barely get started by that point...Legend of the Sword.
Suppose they could focus more on technical things that get skipped focusing on the flashier climaxes.
Wonder how it'll differentiate reviewers. Know soon enough.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I like to think the media are being punished for Eternals spoilers.
I read the wikipedia plot for almost every movie before i see it. My rationale, if the movie isnt entertaining beyond its surprises and twists than its a bad movie
I think this is true. Especially for me, because I'm the type that will re-watch my favorite movies often. So I should be the last type to care about spoilers. At the same time, sometimes it's just fun to have something revealed in the moment.

I've seen a recent trend, in which people are citing studies which reveal we, as an audience, enjoy films more once we know what is going to happen, and therefor we should all embrace spoilers and refrain from complaining about being spoiled.

But I feel like this ignores that there can be more than one "plane" of enjoyment. Whether I appreciate the movie more or less, after knowing the plot, doesn't change the fact that it's simply fun to have something revealed in the moment. Hope that makes sense.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That AND leaking unreleased photos from No Way Home while stamping them with their YouTube show logo.
True. For all the crap he gets, and may deserve, I've still enjoyed him and his show for years now. After that mess, I'm finally dipping out. I think he's being disingenuous about it and stopped respecting his viewers a while back.

DKehoe

Guess it’s not surprising after the recent leaks. Also it’s Spider-Man, it’s not like they need the reviews to get people to want to see it.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I thought the premise of the early review was to garner attention to said product thus making the public go to see that product upon release, based on reviews?

Top Bottom