• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 8-Disc UHD Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection Boxed Set Doesn't Include 2016 and Twitter is Mad

ManaByte

Gold Member
In February, Sony is releasing an 8-disc UHD boxed set of the three Ghostbusters movies: Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It will not include the 2016 Melissa McCarthy "comedy" that for some reason had a Ghostbusters label slapped on it. And people are crying.

ghostbusters_afterlife_giftset.jpg

BUT IT WON THE KIDS CHOICE AWARD!!!!!!!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
From what I hear about the new one, it shouldn't have included that either.

What a weird "franchise" to try and turn into something more. Ghostbusters is an exceptional cynical comedy that happens to involve ghosts, with a pretty poor sequel. That's it. Ramis would be turning in his grave.

Pagusas

Elden Member
From what I hear about the new one, it shouldn't have included that either.

What a weird "franchise" to try and turn into something more. Ghostbusters is an exceptional cynical comedy that happens to involve ghosts, with a pretty poor sequel. That's it. Ramis would be turning in his grave.
Don't know what you heard, but the newest one is great and lots of people on Gaf love it. It's for sure a Ghostbuster film through and through, and fits in perfectly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Don't know what you heard, but the newest one is great and lots of people on Gaf love it. It's for sure a Ghostbuster film through and through, and fits in perfectly.
Huh? The new one is Ghostbusters 3 and does everything The Force Awakens should've done with the original characters, but JJ Abrams didn't.

Yet to watch myself so I'll reserve actual judgement, just not been sold on what I've heard. Will obtain it once it's available and give it a whirl.

AV

If you wanna see what an actual crime looks like, check out the "Evil Dead Groovy Collection" which contains 1, 2, and the series.... not 3 or the remake. What the fuck?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yet to watch myself so I'll reserve actual judgement, just not been sold on what I've heard. Will obtain it once it's available and give it a whirl.
For sure worth a spin, like anything it has flaws, but the film has the right heart and soul to it. also the end is my favorite moment in all of Ghostbusters.

Stitch

Gold Member
Already have it on Blu-ray :p
If you wanna see what an actual crime looks like, check out the "Evil Dead Groovy Collection" which contains 1, 2, and the series.... not 3 or the remake. What the fuck?
The rights are all over the place. 1, 2 and the Series are Lionsgate, Remake is Sony, Army of Darkness is Shout Factory.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: AV

Roxkis_ii

I was about to go on this whole rant about how Twitter mobs are trash and all, but then I checked the user score on rotten tomatoes, and the user score is 49%. So about half the people who went to go see the movie enjoyed it.

Maybe Sony could sell it an ad-on for the set or even make a super duper special edition just for the people who liked the movie.

I'm feel pretty neutral on the situation.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was about to go on this whole rant about how Twitter mobs are trash and all, but then I checked the user score on rotten tomatoes, and the user score is 49%. So about half the people who went to go see the movie enjoyed it.

Maybe Sony could sell it an ad-on for the set or even make a super duper special edition just for the people who liked the movie.

I'm feel pretty neutral on the situation.

Better yet they can burn the original camera negative and include a burned frame in every boxed set as a collector's item.

AmuroChan

I'm very confident that most of the people complaining didn't see the 2016 movie in theater and thus is part of the reason why the movie failed commercially.

I am telling you this as a die hard Ghostbusters fan for over 30 years, and a huge Egon fan, who went in ready to be angry they messed with my favorite movie franchise.

Ghostbusters 3 is a great movie that captures a lot of the original. It’s a nice story and a nice tribute to Harold Ramis. It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s interesting, it fills in the gaps of what the originals have been doing all these years….I don’t like the idea of handing things over to a new generation, but, the movie itself is great. Fan service, sure, but, anyone who doesn’t like fan service…just isn’t a fan.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I made the mistake of giving the 2016 one a try on Netflix and frankly it fails as a movie, fails as a comedy, and fails as a Ghostbusters film.

All of the people outside of the people personally involved in that monstrosity are likely objecting because of their ideology than any real interest in the 2016 movie itself.

Pidull

I can't even get rid of the malware Ghostbusters 2016 that's on my list of purchased movies. Shit appeared randomly one day and had been stinking up my otherwise solid collection of digital movies.

Last edited:
To be fair, I think that might be a rights issue. I remember a few interviews where they said some studio had the rights to Army of Darkness when they were making the TV show, so they couldn't reference it at all. That's probably why 3, and the reboot, were excluded from that set, as opposed to the reason here probably being something else.

GeorgPrime

Banned
In February, Sony is releasing an 8-disc UHD boxed set of the three Ghostbusters movies: Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It will not include the 2016 Melissa McCarthy "comedy" that for some reason had a Ghostbusters label slapped on it. And people are crying.

ghostbusters_afterlife_giftset.jpg

BUT IT WON THE KIDS CHOICE AWARD!!!!!!!

The collection focusing on the original movies and the new one that is connected to the triology.

The Ghostbusters 2016 movie makes no sense in there because it has nothing to do with the original movies or the latest one.

Thats a collection i can buy now... dont want the 2016 movie anywhere near me. lol

Last edited:

Fbh

The collection focusing on the original movies and the new one that is connected to the triology.

The Ghostbusters 2016 movie makes no sense in there because it has nothing to do with the original movies or the latest one.

Thats a collection i can buy now... dont want the 2016 movie anywhere near me. lol

But is it really "Ultimate" if it doesn't feature a Kids Choice Award winner?

I Dont Think So Season 5 GIF by The Office

AV

Poor? Ghostbusters 2 poor? Where has this bullshit come from? Ghostbusters 2 is a damn fine sequel to a classic film. I honestly don't get the hate. The "reboot" on the other hand was beyond poor. Thank fuck it's not in this boxset.

Compared to the original Ghostbusters? C'mon. 2 is perfectly fun for what it is but it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the original. Nor should the reboot, from what I've heard, but I'm not even wasting my time on that.

Top Bottom