• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 8-Disc UHD Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection Boxed Set Doesn't Include 2016 and Twitter is Mad

ghostbusters_hospital-xlarge.jpg
Oh my god I completely forgot about this. Reminded me of this stupid video

(still a better trailer than the actual one)

This was the most obvious of their marketing stunts, but what amazes is me is that people are STILL falling for the "if you don't like GB 2016 then you hate women" crap.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I had no idea that Ghostbusters: Afterlife was actually III. This is a failure of marketing, especially after the stink of 2016. I would have gone and saw Afterlife if I knew it was a sequel to the original 2 films from the 1980's. F for Harold Ramis, who didn't live to make the third film as he died back in 2014
You mean the marketing where they literally had a line from the movie’s old Venkman in the final trailer?

taizuke

Personally i don't care but i think it might've been a bigger outrage to include it. So, i think Sony made the right choice.

Ionian

I prefer the first I think everyone does but this narrative that the second is shit has pissed me off for years as well.
I watched in the cinema and thought it was a shit sequel as it didn't come close to the first and I was a child.

I laughed at it, not with it. Tough luck for people who annoyed with the subjective taste of a child for s kids film after all with some references for adults.

Also the goo, lmao. So spooky for kids, every toy shop already sold it in the 80's by the tub. Green goo, not pink every kid had a tub. Toys from 80's cartoons, extremely common for anyone who followed them to use goo.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I watched in the cinema and thought it was a shit sequel as it didn't come close to the first and I was a child.

Same here, watched on release thought it was a poor sequel in the way Hollywood used to make sequels, just do everything again in a different location (Die Hard II I'm looking at you). I swear there's a bunch of people that just watched it as children on TV or rental years after the fact that thinks other people only don't like the sequel just becuse the internet told them not to like it.

UnNamed

Banned
GB 2016... Ok it wasn't that bad. The idea of replacing the cast with women was refreshing, and they tried to replicate a cast of comedian actors from SNL. That was good... But in the end, just in theory.

That type of comedy didn't work for Ghostbuster, too meta, too focused on themselves and the jokes and not on the plot, like it was completely detatched. The big problem was the plot was weak and Chris Hemsworth was a terrible choice.

Personally, I'd rather just have the first two. 2016 is garbage and Afterlife tried to get by on nostalgia alone and failed. And with it underperforming at the box office, I'm not sure we're getting another sequel anytime soon.

kunonabi

Personally, I'd rather just have the first two. 2016 is garbage and Afterlife tried to get by on nostalgia alone and failed. And with it underperforming at the box office, I'm not sure we're getting another sequel anytime soon.
It didn't underperform. More Ghostbusters is on the way for sure.

MacReady13

Same here, watched on release thought it was a poor sequel in the way Hollywood used to make sequels, just do everything again in a different location (Die Hard II I'm looking at you). I swear there's a bunch of people that just watched it as children on TV or rental years after the fact that thinks other people only don't like the sequel just becuse the internet told them not to like it.
Now you wanna bring up Die Hard 2? Another fantastic sequel to a classic original!

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I have the 2016 movie in my digital library idk how it got there or how to remove it

My cousin believes 2016 ghostbusters is better than ghostbusters 2?

I literally had a double take, almost thought I was having a stroke.

Like I understand the hate Gb2 gets but it’s still a fun movie. And compared to 2016 it’s a fucking masterpiece than that unfunny movie.
File a criminal lawsuit against your cousin. That's a fucking crime against cinema. Infact, I'm reporting your cousin to the mods for crossing the streams.

VulcanRaven

I just looked up Afterlife and 2016's box office. I can't believe 2016 is most likely going to beat Afterlife's box office.
I can't speak to Afterlife's quality yet though as it's not out in Australia yet. I can say I have zero nostalgia for Ghostbusters though, curious to see if I cry at the end or if it's just a nostalgia thing. No idea what the sad thing is, just know that Ghostbusters fans cry at the end.
The 2016 movie had a bigger budget do it needed to make more money.

cr0w

Old Member
I like how someone pulled out the Halloween franchise in an attempt at a "gotcha" but failed to realize that they have, in fact, ignored every bad sequel and bullshit canon film since 2018.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sony caved into the Twitter mob:

Featuring GHOSTBUSTERS, GHOSTBUSTERS II and GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE on 4K Ultra HD & Blu-ray, plus two discs full of special features! Includes over 20 hours of rare behind-the-scenes and must-see archival gems, including the full Preview Cut of the original movie and much, much more! Presented in collectible “ghost trap” packaging with lights,and includes a full 220-page reprint of the rare 1985 “Making GHOSTBUSTERS” book! Also includes digital versions of GHOSTBUSTERS, GHOSTBUSTERS II, GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL and GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE.

It's only a digital copy, but it's now included.

No Time to Die got there before Spider-Man did.
Yea, they definitely overestimated the effect Covid had on the box office. That argument made since in 2020, with not all theaters being open, still unknowns til mid-late 2020, and no vaccine. But this year, there is no argument.

Quiet Place 2 came out in May and was only 11% down from the first film. That's actually good result in normal circumstances. And that was when everyone was starting to talk about the "deadly" Delta variant.

Now, we have talk of the Omicron variant and Spider-Man made $1.05B in 10 days. They were predicting it to open up at just $100M because of the "Covid effect." Then, upped it to $150-$190 after good preview numbers. It ended up doing $260M opening weekend. 2nd biggest opening of all time.

Covid isn't keeping people away, mediocre films are.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
If it’s not canon as some have said then that’s fine.

Personally I didn’t think it was that bad, certainly not the train wreck places like this made it out to be. Certainly no worse than 75% of the movies coming out these days.

I don’t care either way though because who even buys dvds/blu-rays in 2021?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Someone want my digital copy? Ill throw that shit in trash where it belongs.

I will do the same. Throw it in the trash, burn it and seal the ash away into a containment unit to never let it out again.

Everyone who says "Ghostbusters 2016" is great, should be banned from Twitter. *lol*

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I already own Ghostbusters. I don't need the other movies or anything of the extra garbage.

Afterlife is a great Ghostbusters 3, and for real fans of Ghostbusters having the never-before-seen 144-minute test screening cut of the movie makes the set a must-have.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Afterlife is a great Ghostbusters 3, and for real fans of Ghostbusters having the never-before-seen 144-minute test screening cut of the movie makes the set a must-have.

No thank you. Kids are a deal breaker. Especially that little fuckstick from Stranger Things. He was so obnoxious in It I will never watch another movie he is in. Plus how can there be a part 3 when I don't acknowledge part 2?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
As if once it’s out that’s the only way you’ll be able to see it, or you are only going to watch it once anyway.

Tams

Gold Member
Ugggghhh, just had a conversation with someone today who thought the 2016 abomination was good. But even they had to admit it wasn't 'great'. They then went on a rant about how anti-woke people were the main criticism of it.

I think I might just have had my worst lunchtime of the year already.

Top Bottom