• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan is confident the PS5 can sell at least 108 million units

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
91625_323_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

In a recent games business briefing, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said that he strongly believes that the PS5 family of hardware will break 108 million sales worldwide across its life cycle. This would put the PS5 just below the PS4's 117.2 million shipments, but above the PS1's 102.4 million lifetime shipments.

"Yes, I would anticipate that over the life of the PlayStation 5, that we should be able to exceed a figure of 70 million on top of the 38 million [we have achieved]," Ryan said in the Q&A section of the meeting's webcast.

"The reason I say that is the 70 million I think is the existing PlayStation 4 user base, and while we would hope to convert a large number of those people, we will definitely target and and definitely be successful in bringing large numbers of gamers who did not own a PlayStation 4, and in many instances, who have never owned a PlayStation at all.

"I am very optimistic over the life of this platform that we will exceed the number that you mentioned."

91625_16_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

Elsewhere in the presentation, Sony confirmed that management expects the PS5 to overtake the PS4 all in all relevant KPIs, including launch-aligned sell-through. PS5 console sell-through is currently at 36 million compared to its shipments of 38.4 million, which essentially means that Sony has shipped 2.4 million more PS5s than it has sold. The company expects demand to remain strong for quite some time.

The games giant has plans to ship a whopping 30.5 million units in Fiscal Year 2023, which would put the PS5 at over 3.2 million units ahead of the PS4 in launch-aligned performance.

91625_145_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

In regards to our comment about the PS5 family of devices, remember that the PS5 ecosystem technically includes two systems--the PS5 disc version and the disc-less PS5 digital edition--and there are reports of the disc version being phased out and all future PlayStation 5 models being digital editions. Gamers would then be able to purchase the disc drive separately and attach the module to the base unit.

There's also reports that Sony is readying a PlayStation 5 Pro model to potentially release in 2024, however nothing has been confirmed.

91625_54_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9162...an-sell-at-least-108-million-units/index.html

ZehDon

They rode the momentum of the PS4 well, and the PS5 has terrific momentum unchecked by Xbox, who is basically in hibernation mode. If Xbox actually steps up and, you know, releases some games, Nintendo actually delivers a Switch 2, and Sony continue to go all in on GaaS, 108 million might not be the easy slam dunk Ryan thinks it is.

right.gif

not when you're porting everything to PC Jimbo!
That's not quite how this works. Affordable price, comfort, and having your game library under one umbrella are what matter most to casual audiences. Steam has to win the rest of that casual audience and they made a really good power move in that direction by making the Steam Deck. However, Phil Spencer was right when he spoke about ecosystems and how this all started during the PS4 gen. Some people will just be locked into Playstation's ecosystem, and it will happen more and more. The more people buy games on their store, add friends on their service, and want trophies to compare, the more they will want to keep using these services. He saw it years ago. A lot of people here ignored this very important point and instead focused on him 'giving up' during that recent interview.

The only way PCs would take away casual users from Playstation is if Sony finally decides to make an online store for PC, like Xbox, where you can download games from your PS library and play them on your PC. Otherwise, people will keep buying Playstations to access their Playstation games. Thus, Jim will probably be correct in his prediction once the millions of PS4 users all move over to PS5.

I think the PS5 will sell for 500 for much of its life cycle, which is a massive change in strategy from where Sony has been with the PS1-PS4.

The PS1 dropped to as low as 49 dollars and the PS2 dropped to as low as 99 dollars.

99 dollars in 2009 would be the equivalent of 141 dollars today... So I think sony is more interested in selling at a profit than selling more units especially towards the later part of the life cycle.

I think the PS5 will sell for 500 for much of its life cycle, which is a massive change in strategy from where Sony has been with the PS1-PS4.

The PS1 dropped to as low as 49 dollars and the PS2 dropped to as low as 99 dollars.

99 dollars in 2009 would be the equivalent of 141 dollars today... So I think sony is more interested in selling at a profit than selling more units especially towards the later part of the life cycle.
I think once the pro comes out, the base model will drop to around 299-349. Sony seems to like that price point for that second half of the life cycle.

vivftp

It will do much more than that. He’s being conservative
Jim is being extremely conservative. I'm thinking 120-130 million units life time.
This is confusing.
The ps5 should hit 120+ at least. Why are they trying that number?

The person asking the question specifically asked if Jim thinks they could sell an additional 70 million beyond the 38 million they've already sold. Jim was answering that question, which is where the 108 million figure comes from.

The PS5 will vastly outsell the PS4s lifetime figures, but Sony hasn't given any official projections for that

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Oh yeah? I'd get it to 250. I'd drop the price to $89 and all games are three for $20, day one.

Then, I'd buy Take Two, Capcom, SquareEnix and EA, making all of those games exclusives.

Being a CEO is super easy.
PS5 will sell 100 million off brand name alone. With shitty showcases and blog tweet announcements.

Jim Ryan is not a gamer. Has no clue what gamers actually want, has probably never even picked up a controller.

Put a person who’s in tune with what gamers want, who also has business sense, and give them enough power to make important decisions, you’d be surprised. Another 100 mill isn’t out of the question.

Doesn’t take an old guy in a suit to sell consoles. Games will speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Reallink

This is confusing.
The ps5 should hit 120+ at least. Why are they trying that number?
Considering he knows every 1st part and 3rd party game in development and pre-production for the PS5's expected life cycle, I wouldn't say there's anything confusing about it after that showcase. He simply doesn't see the games in the pipeline that will move the number of units you guys are wishcrafting. Covid, work from home, anti-crunch, the new crop of less passionate and less talented developers, and 5 - 7 year devs cycles have created a perfect storm that will yield fewer games of lower quality.

Last edited:

Msamy

really hope that all of his gaas strategy failed and sony fire him , really he is the worst SIE CEO since many years

Why do people keep on overlooking Moore's Law?

We have x86 CPUs magnitudes more powerful for as much if not less than we did decades ago. Sony's strategy has focused on die shrinks within each gen, which reduce costs.

Duchess

It's funny since, as much as many of us were left disappointed and/or underwhelmed by Sony's showcase, it seems to have done absolutely nothing to slow the sales of PS5s. Amazon is still shifting truckloads of them, according to the charts.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's funny since, as much as many of us were left disappointed and/or underwhelmed by Sony's showcase, it seems to have done absolutely nothing to slow the sales of PS5s. Amazon is still shifting truckloads of them, according to the charts.
Only a smalls online of the hardcores even cares about showcases its not households news for the mainstreams
oh-yeah-mrw.gif

ProtoByte

For now, maybe. Eventual though, the hype tank is going to get empty.

They've gotta blow people's socks off with new shit before this time next year, otherwise you will see a massive slowdown.

Top Bottom