• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan to GameIndustry.biz: "We are starting to go multiplatform"

I don't see it. You'd lose brand awareness. PC is an open playing field, a bit different.
I don't think you would.

Look at streaming media vs theaters for instance. I think you have to change the lense in which you see the industry and look at it in modern eyes verse 80-2010s.

Sony can still promote their latest games on PS5 even timed exclusives against PC, I don't think players who are dialed into Spider-Man or Horizon, or Ghost of Tsushima, or God of War, or Gran Turismo care if old games are being ported to Xbox consoles when they're more focused on Spider-Man 2, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7 e.t.c.

But more importantly, the budget and risks these games take can be larger if there are more revenue streams to couch falls.

I think most of us realize that the controversy swirling around the LOU2 tanked the games sales. It'll have a second shot at revenue on PS5 in a bundle with LOU Remake, but that absolutely hurt Naughty Dog badly. A game you expect to sell over 15 million copies sells under 6... That's brutal. I think as a result we'll see a safer Naughty Dog. Uncharted 1-3 remakes using UC4 engine on PS4 and PS5. Last of Us remake using LOU2 engine for PS4 and PS5. Hopes that the show renews interest in the brand as well as a multiplayer factions release. Think we'll also see the LOU collection release on PC.

It is a mistake. They are slowly going to lose about their appeal. At some point it'll show on their revenues.
I can almost bet their hardware console numbers won't decrease with releasing stuff on PC...specialy considering their single player games won't release day one in there.
This idea that if games came out on PC no one would care about consoles is weird.

Are multiplayer games mostly played on PC? Isn't Fortnite's revenue 47% on Sony consoles?

I never played a single game on PC, ever. Lots of people out there will always buy a box that you can connect to a TV and that's it.

It's also cheaper to invest on a gaming console than a PC.

Baldurs Gate 3
Mount and Blade 2
Star Citizen
Valheim
New World.
Age of Empires 4

Not like AAA blockbusters like Sony uses to sell consoles, but still these games have huge audiences.
Isn't that mostly because these games require KB/M?

I think something we'll also see is full KB/M support on these consoles in the future with promoted peripherals.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can almost bet their hardware console numbers won't decrease with releasing stuff on PC...specialy considering their single player games won't release day one in there.
This idea that if games came out on PC no one would care about consoles is weird.

Are multiplayer games mostly played on PC? Isn't Fortnite's revenue 47% on Sony consoles?

I never played a single game on PC, ever. Lots of people out there will always buy a box that you can connect to a TV and that's it.

The only sales this may hurt are people like myself who already own a nice PC who may not buy a PS moving forward if this happens.

I will always still own the hardware but can see already PC owners not needing PS hardware eventually

Swift_Star

Banned
Why are pc only players thinking people would rather drop 2-4 times (even more comsidering séries s) the price of a console on a gaming pc? That won’t happen. Console and pc users don’t overlap. That should be obvious rn. Extremely weird takes from these people.

I think we're gearing up towards a potential reality where there just isn't consoles anymore and that everything is on streaming platforms. I think that is far off, but I do think that is the future and I think that future means that you have to have software developers to be in this game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why are pc only players thinking people would rather drop 2-4 times (even more comsidering séries s) the price of a console on a gaming pc? That won’t happen. Console and pc users don’t overlap. That should be obvious rn. Extremely weird takes from these people.
I 100% game on PC and Playstation and Xbox, I always own all the hardware and know many of my friends game on all the platforms as well

Utherellus

Isn't that mostly because these games require KB/M?

I think something we'll also see is full KB/M support on these consoles in the future with promoted peripherals.
Well kinda, I guess.

I cant imagine myself playing any of these games with controller.

But in general, PC was always known for specific genres that only "flourish" on PC.

Swift_Star

Banned
I think we're gearing up towards a potential reality where there just isn't consoles anymore and that everything is on streaming platforms. I think that is far off, but I do think that is the future and I think that future means that you have to have software developers to be in this game.
The only way that is happening is if playing by streaming and physical local hardware are the same and as of now, we’re way too far away from that, even considering stadia and xcloud.

Stuart360

Baldurs Gate 3
Mount and Blade 2
Star Citizen
Valheim
New World.
Age of Empires 4

Not like AAA blockbusters like Sony uses to sell consoles, but still these games have huge audiences.
The total War games too which are awesome games. There is a lot more than that too. I was looking at all the free games i have got on the Epic Shitstore the other day and it was surprising how many of those games are not on console.

Sure we dont get many $100mil exclusive games on PC but like i said in my other post,. no one owns PC like Microsoft and Sony owns their consoles, why would publishers make a super expensive AAA game and release it just on PC.

Swift_Star

Banned
I 100% game on PC and Playstation and Xbox, I always own all the hardware and know many of my friends game on all the platforms as well
You do know you’re in the vast minority of people that do that. Most of us don’t do that. Most people have workstation laptops or potato pcs incapable of playing HFW or Elden ring. Console and PC are for the most part two different audiences.

The only way that is happening is if playing by streaming and physical local hardware are the same and as of now, we’re way too far away from that, even considering stadia and xcloud.

Like I said, the future. The point I'm trying to make is you really have to invest in that now. If say in 10-15 years you try investing in it, it'll be too late.

The time was actually like 10 years ago and these companies are all in a gold rush to catch up, which is why you've seen so much consolidation in the market in the last 2 years.

Everyone here is going blah blah.

Sony is basically saving they are making their own Fortnite, Minecraft, GTA online, etc.

A la Destiny.

Doesnt mean all their titles are going to be multi platform.

I dont see why they cant put Uncharted 1-3 on the switch though. Or Days Gone on Xbox. Titles that already exhausted their sales on Playstation.

Well kinda, I guess.

I cant imagine myself playing any of these games with controller.

But in general, PC was always known for specific genres that only "flourish" on PC.

I think PC obviously has a lot of advantages for certain genres right? The open nature of it allows for modding communities to flourish. Keyboard and mouse obviously allow for more complex games to be played. But PC also has serious disadvantages as well, less so I would say since Steam, GOG, and Epic Game Store, but still some serious disadvantages. I think both PC and console can learn from each other and improve each other.

I do think they need to support KBM on consoles on certain games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You do know you’re in the vast minority of people that do that. Most of us don’t do that. Most people have workstation laptops or potato pcs incapable of playing HFW or Elden ring. Console and PC are for the most part two different audiences.
Not in the circles I game with as I know a ton of gamers who have a PC and a Playstation

Now I may be in the minority owning a gaming PC and a Series X but not the PC/PS combo as thats the best combo in gaming

Utherellus

The total War games too which are awesome games. There is a lot more than that too. I was looking at all the free games i have got on the Epic Shitstore the other day and it was surprising how many of those games are not on console.

Sure we dont get many $100mil exclusive games on PC but like i said in my other post,. no one owns PC like Microsoft and Sony owns their consoles, why would publishers make a super expensive AAA game and release it just on PC.

Ye, I really don't understand when people bring "PC does not win, it has no AAA exclusives" to the table.

Like... PC belongs to noone. It's universal. A bridge. The Core of the gaming industry. Everything flows towards PC.

Want Sony games? Please, Steam is being filled by them recently.
Want Xbox games? Game Pass is your friend.
Want Switch games? Emulators already run in 4K

So yes, PC has it all. I call that a win.

XLkxXBt.png

kyoji

Can we now put to bed the cope that Sony were only releasing GoW, HZD etc on PC in order to entice PC owners to then buy a PS5 to play the sequels? Now that everyone has heard it from the horses mouth, that argument no longer holds water. Thanks for confirming Jimbo!

iu
I think he is referring to whatever 3rd party studios they pickup that were already releasing games or starting to release games on pc going forward. Square and Capcom come to mind with their recent statements on ramped up pc support.

Swift_Star

Banned
Not in the circles I game with as I know a ton of gamers who have a PC and a Playstation

Now I may be in the minority owning a gaming PC and a Series X but not the PC/PS combo as thats the best combo in gaming
Your group of gamers probably doesn’t account for even 5% of the gaming population. Yes, you’re in the vast minority of both.

Last edited:
Ye, I really don't understand when people bring "PC does not win, it has no AAA exclusives" to the table.

Like... PC belongs to noone. It's universal. A bridge. The Core of the gaming industry. Everything flows towards PC.

XLkxXBt.png
Mobile destroys them all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Your group of gamers probably doesn’t account for even 5% of the gaming population. Yes, you’re in the vast minority of both.
Btw just did a quick search and your 5% number was close except its you in the vast minority as only 8% identify as console only gamers according to recent studies:

A new report claims that 48 percent of all gaming happens on PCs, with a whopping 3.1B gamers worldwide across all platforms, consoles, and mobile devices. What’s interesting here is how the data breaks down across region and in terms of gaming spend.

The data here is from DFC Intelligence, via PCGamesN, and suggests that the PC-versus-console framing for understanding gaming is outdated. Only 8 percent of gamers identify exclusively as console gamers, meaning most gamers play across multiple devices.

Taken from

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ldwide-are-gamers-and-nearly-half-play-on-pcs

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Can we now put to bed the cope that Sony were only releasing GoW, HZD etc on PC in order to entice PC owners to then buy a PS5 to play the sequels? Now that everyone has heard it from the horses mouth, that argument no longer holds water. Thanks for confirming Jimbo!

iu
That paradigm is the most ridiculous one I've ever read on gaming boards. I'm simply dumb-founded that someone came up with this backward-ass assumption and ran with it where others were believing it as fact.

How? tell me, are you going to stop playing videogames? Or are you going to buy a PC which you can't afford like 90% of the PS players? No. You'll keep buying your playstation/xbox and buying the games there.
This is what I am saying. They way they do games is slowly going to change because of the multiplatform thing. Not sure I'll want to buy their games in a few years.

Stuart360

That paradigm is the most ridiculous one I've ever read on gaming boards. I'm simply dumb-founded that someone came up with this backward-ass assumption and ran with it where others were believing it as fact.
God that narrative was so cringeworthy. Why certain people cant just accept (and use their brain) that PC is a 200mil user playground that was being ignored by Sony. Microsoft realized this and have been reaping the rewards for years.
I mean Christ there was still some of them running with that silly narrative after Sony bought Nixxes, a PC porting studio lol.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Finally got someone here that have their eyes open. Developing new hardware is becoming pricey and time-consuming. The big money is in streaming servers and high-end hardware from a PC to run these services. Sony/MS can see the statistics that their online services see a lot of business.

It's all a matter of time before people will be just playing games. Period.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This is what I am saying. They way they do games is slowly going to change because of the multiplatform thing. Not sure I'll want to buy their games in a few years.

Expanding the reach of games doesn't change the games. I don't believe the fundamentals of how Naughty Dog, Insomniac, or Santa Monica creates their games are going to change at all simply because the games are ported to other platforms. God of War will still be God of War. Spider-man will still be Spider-Man. How is this going to change?

Thirty7ven

Banned
A movie doesn't become worse if it comes out in theaters and then on streaming, vod, tv, whatever.

What matters is the culture, if Jimmy is forcing a culture change then that's bad.

DaGwaphics

Btw just did a quick search and your 5% number was close except its you in the vast minority as only 8% identify as console only gamers according to recent studie:

A new report claims that 48 percent of all gaming happens on PCs, with a whopping 3.1B gamers worldwide across all platforms, consoles, and mobile devices. What’s interesting here is how the data breaks down across region and in terms of gaming spend.

The data here is from DFC Intelligence, via PCGamesN, and suggests that the PC-versus-console framing for understanding gaming is outdated. Only 8 percent of gamers identify exclusively as console gamers, meaning most gamers play across multiple devices.

Taken from

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ldwide-are-gamers-and-nearly-half-play-on-pcs

These types of things can be misleading when it comes to PC and console. This is a very broad study, where 53% of the "gamers" exclusively play on mobile phones. Thus, in this context, it's surprising that even 8% are basically saying they never kill time on a mobile game.

While purely anecdotal, the PC gamers I've typically interacted with don't play much on console, mostly limited to PS exclusives (which jives with your own sentiment about PC/PS5 being a better combo than Xbox/PC). If you took the exclusives away, I'm not sure if these folks would bother with the PS5 any more than they would Xbox. But these were never great console customers to begin with.

But you absolutely will have some that want both a desk and TV experience.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

XLkxXBt.png

I believe its their coping mechanism at work here. The beauty of PC gaming is its openness. Being able to use controllers, keyboard/mouse and more is one of the strengths of PC gaming. Associating PC gaming to just PC oriented keyboard/mouse games is really just artificial gatekeeping.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What? No, that’s ridiculous. Tons of gamers own both a PC and console.

Finally got someone here that have their eyes open. Developing new hardware is becoming pricey and time-consuming. The big money is in streaming servers and high-end hardware from a PC to run these services. Sony/MS can see the statistics that their online services see a lot of business.

It's all a matter of time before people will be just playing games. Period.

I don't know if I would say they'll just be playing games. I think you'll still need some sort of portal/access. The question is what that looks like.

If there isn't any hardware, does EA put their games on Sony's streaming service? Microsofts? Or do they just make their own streaming service? Look at HBO Max or Paramount+

Will these streaming services be storefronts or will they be subscription-based? My guess is they'll want to maximize their profits by being subscription models.

But the big question for someone like Sony as I mentioned before is if they can leverage 3rd party providers into remaining on their platform. The reality is probably not right? That's the problem Netflix got into. The barriers for creating a streaming service (at least for video) were quite small for these major companies.

But whether it is PS Now, xCloud, Stadia, Nintendo Online e.t.c that's where we're going first. Sony recognizes that the console platform won't last forever, but we've already kind of seen that with the development of the ps5 and the ps5 digital.

The PS5 didn't require a ton of R&D compared to PS3 or even PS4. This allows Sony to sell it for profit and maintain its margins. Except for a few things then, the PS5 and XSX are pretty much the same console running very similar hardware. But look at the PS5 vs PS5 Digital... Sony is already pushing to increase the strength of its storefront.

PS6 will probably have a PS6 and PS6 digital, but my guess is their roles will be reversed. PS6 digital being the main system.

PS7 will be entirely disc-less.

PS8 will be in the cloud.

Obviously, this is speculation and tech changes quickly, but based on this you could see cloud gaming completely taking over by 2035. And if I'm Sony, I have to be ready before then if I still want to be the market leader in gaming.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, it doesnt.
Even then, not sure how is that related to the fact that releasing games on pc day one does not affect console versions.
But it does. You don't even know how.
You cannot code to the metal. You have to design the game with limitation of gtx 1060 in mind. It has to scale

kevm3

Sony pretty much reminds me of Microsoft now... corporate, profit first focus with western blockbuster type games taking center stage. I see the uniqueness of Sony with games like gravity rush, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus slowly disappearing. Sony is pretty much a western company now. Jim Ryan is someone who will make shareholders happy, at least in the short term, but the uniqueness of the Sony brand is being diminished overall.

JLB

Banned
But it does. You don't even know how.
You cannot code to the metal. You have to design the game with limitation of gtx 1060 in mind. It has to scale

I mean, Sony is developing new flagship ps5 games that will be multi gen. Is this a real problem for them? A ps4 is orders of magnitude less powerful than a 1060 for the case.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Definitely holding off on a PS5 now. Almost regret buying a Series X at this point. I literally don't play on the console anymore these days. It's more of a backup in case my PC shit's the bed.

oldergamer

I find it funny how people didn't see some sort of change coming. Props to Sony for changing with the times and adapting to do what they need to grow the business. Just doing the same old thing never got anyone a new experience.

Anyway, the flip in attitude is no surprising to see, before we saw:

MS: "We are going to publish Day1 first part titles on PC"
Sony GAF: See they are going multiplatform in the next 5 years! This is the last console generation for Xbox

Sony: "We are starting to go multiplatform"
Sony GAF: They don't mean that, they mean PC

Top Bottom