• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's plan to compete with Xbox: Stay the course

Epic would have been a better fit for Sony and they've already tried to throw money at them to launch PlayStaion games on Epic and Sony just weren't interested so I don't really see purchasing Valve as anything particularly useful to them.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Baring their fangs? Playing hard? 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Sony got this covered. Generation in, generation out. It’s always the same.

I like my XBSX, but let’s be honest, it’s also barren of next gen only titles, with a drought that will last for at least a couple more years.

Sony don't have this covered, they have 15 less teams, and Jimbo even says "its all about the games"

John Wick

Because Microsoft has never been this competitive in the console space. Once it's 23 studios start releasing games at regular intervals, it's a new ballgame.

The article also ignores Sony's drastic 180 on multiplayer. They have 10 multiplayer exclusives in the works right now which signifies a pretty drastic change in strategy already.
Yes once they start releasing games......
Sony are already releasing quality games and increasing their studios.
What 180? Sony lack multiplayer games. Pretty obvious to improve where you lack in isn't it?
Just like releasing PC ports it's extra money for Sony.

tmlDan

Sony don't have this covered, they have 15 less teams, and Jimbo even says "its all about the games"
but Sony's teams produce games at a much faster rate than MS studios do, even bethesda proper is particularly slow when making games.

Hopefully with MS oversight they can turn that around, maybe even Activision can help since they are pretty decent at releasing games in quick succession.

Sosokrates

But Xbox hasn’t caught up… so how is anyone eating crow? Is this another “oh wait you’ll see” rinse repeat take?

Point is, even the most diehard sony fan can see that Xbox is now not playing 2nd fiddle.
They can see that similar sales and a good chance ms will be make more revenue by the time this gen finishes.

Sosokrates

but Sony's teams produce games at a much faster rate than MS studios do, even bethesda proper is particularly slow when making games.

Hopefully with MS oversight they can turn that around, maybe even Activision can help since they are pretty decent at releasing games in quick succession.

Not true, apart from 343, Bethesda and compulsion there other devs make games in 3 to 4yrs, similar to the time sony makes games.

Yes once they start releasing games......
Sony are already releasing quality games and increasing their studios.
What 180? Sony lack multiplayer games. Pretty obvious to improve where you lack in isn't it?
Just like releasing PC ports it's extra money for Sony.
Who had the highest rated console exclusives last year? Please, remind me again… I’m sure the name started with an X.

I think they had an open world car game, a flying game/sim and a smaller platformer that they had recently acquired. Oh and that space shooter thingy.

You’re going to need to remind me.

Sosokrates

Who had the highest rated console exclusives last year? Please, remind me again… I’m sure the name started with an X.

I think they had an open world car game, a flying game/sim and a smaller platformer that they had recently acquired. Oh and that space shooter thingy.

fnHimNC.gif

In hindsight the thread title is hilarious, given what's just happened 🤣

But of course they're going to keep focusing on 1P output; it's not like they were going to suddenly forget about that if they made more acquisitions. These are massive companies, they can manage multiple efforts simultaneously.

Topher

Gold Member

That "smaller platformer" wasn't exclusive at all. Forza and Halo are standard Xbox fare. Clearly folks are referring to the games coming out of the new acquisitions. That is the output that is going to raise Microsoft's first party closer to Sony's level.

tmlDan

Not true, apart from 343, Bethesda and compulsion there other devs make games in 3 to 4yrs, similar to the time sony makes games.
yea we can look at some of the other studios, they're much better at making sequels every 3-4 years.

Arkane is prob the fastest they have, which are making Redfall, made Deathloop and Dishonored pretty quickly but they're all very similar (not redfall, which we haven't seen much of), then ID who only really makes doom thats good, Tango im not confident in but they made a new game in 5 years, Machine games is pretty fast but who knows how far out Indiana jones is

But Bethesda = Slow (Fallout was 2016, so 6 years likely 7), Blizzard = Slow (Overwatch in 2016 was the last full new game they made), Activision = same game basically every year, Rare = slow (SoT was in 2018, no sign of Everwild being close to done), 343 = slow (took 6 years to make a game essentially unfinished)

Just saying that the major studios are relatively slow.

Sosokrates

yea we can look at some of the other studios, they're much better at making sequels every 3-4 years.

Arkane is prob the fastest they have, which are making Redfall, made Deathloop and Dishonored pretty quickly but they're all very similar (not redfall, which we haven't seen much of), then ID who only really makes doom thats good, Tango im not confident in but they made a new game in 5 years, Machine games is pretty fast but who knows how far out Indiana jones is

But Bethesda = Slow (Fallout was 2016, so 6 years likely 7), Blizzard = Slow (Overwatch in 2016 was the last full new game they made), Activision = same game basically every year, Rare = slow (SoT was in 2018, no sign of Everwild being close to done), 343 = slow (took 6 years to make a game essentially unfinished)

Just saying that the major studios are relatively slow.

Tango made evil within 2 in 3yrs.

Also what u are saying is pretty diffirent to this:

but Sony's teams produce games at a much faster rate than MS studios do,

Xgs haveing 15 more teams is an advantage, it is what it is.

That "smaller platformer" wasn't exclusive at all. Forza and Halo are standard Xbox fare. Clearly folks are referring to the games coming out of the new acquisitions. That is the output that is going to raise Microsoft's first party closer to Sony's level.
Got me there, Xbox IP then. I love the "Halo & Forza" don't count because Halo & Forza lol, typical cop-out argument, but nonetheless, they still beat PS output in 2021, before Activision were even hinted at. Shit, you can even count Deathloop up there as well considering Xbox now own it even though it was on PS.

Dj8JF37.gif

Sony's plan to compete with Xbox: Stay the course | Opinion | GamesIndustry.biz

I can't really think of a reason for Sony to make drastic changes. Their first party output is stellar. Gamers obviously continue to invest heavily in the ecosystem. Sony could smooth out some bumps in their services, but for the most part, they continue to provide top notch games and that is what their customers clearly want.
They have some blind spots where they seem to let 3rd parties carry the load and that comes with some issues.

They used to have 989 Sports and This is Football from Sony London.

What they should have done was buy Visual Concepts and double down on sports, instead, they stopped doing NBA Shootout and NHL FaceOff and didn't fight EA on exclusivity with the NFL killing NFL GameDay.

They had Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf with Clap Hanz but never really evolved the series.

Any other publisher would have doubled down on these and gone head to head with EA.

The only thing they have is MLB The Show. And maybe I don't know something, but maybe there was a deal to be had there where the show was of a better quality than the rest of their sports games and once they got an exclusive MLB license they said they wouldn't fight on other venues, who knows.

They have also given up on making JRPG, WRPG, and for the most part FPS. We'll see if those days are over.

tmlDan

Tango made evil within 2 in 3yrs.

Also what u are saying is pretty diffirent to this:

Xgs haveing 15 more teams is an advantage, it is what it is.
no doubt, im just saying i hope they get a bit faster - even a year quicker than their usual cadence - not all of these are new IP's and sequels should take 3-4 only. (without COVID hindrances obv)

NinjaBoiX

I think it’s going to pan out like this:

- a good chunk of the big publishers stuff will come out on Xbox, all folded into gamepass (which will have to go up in price, I’ve just got three years of Ultimate for £3.22 a month, that’s surely not sustainable)
- Sony will bank on their first party big hitting blockbuster titles, with a smaller chunk of the publishers tied into their ecosystem

So you’ll be able to get more stuff on Xbox, less but possibly better stuff on PlayStation.

Sosokrates

no doubt, im just saying i hope they get a bit faster - even a year quicker than their usual cadence - not all of these are new IP's and sequels should take 3-4 only. (without COVID hindrances obv)
Yeah I would like those devs to be quicker. But its good the majority of xgs are not slow.

Also bare in mind that Bethesda make massive open games with multiple stories so that is always going to take time and 343 had a lot of issues, hopefully they get them sorted.

tmlDan

Yeah I would like those devs to be quicker. But its good the majority of xgs are not slow.

Also bare in mind that Bethesda make massive open games with multiple stories so that is always going to take time and 343 had a lot of issues, hopefully they get them sorted.
Totally, Bethesda and their massive RPG's are the only ones id happily let stay in the oven. We know what happens when they rush things lol

Topher

Gold Member
Got me there, Xbox IP then. I love the "Halo & Forza" don't count because Halo & Forza lol, typical cop-out argument, but nonetheless, they still beat PS output in 2021, before Activision were even hinted at. Shit, you can even count Deathloop up there as well considering Xbox now own it even though it was on PS.

A cop-out argument is making up arguments no one made. I never said Halo and Forza "don't count". Didn't even imply that. The simple fact is those games alone were not going to cut it. Phil Spencer said himself that their first party was severely lacking last gen. You think another Halo and another Forza reverses that trend? They are great games, but they don't shift the balance from Sony.

If you want to start a list war then have at it. I'm not interested in silly console warrior conversations. Microsoft's improvements to their first party have not arrived yet. That isn't even a controversial statement so not sure why you need to make it into one.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Lol, says its uninformed but does not explain why it is.
You were saying Xbox as a division has caught up and is now possibly more successful than Playstation? Unless you are putting out the numbers from your ass that shows Specifically how much the XBox division makes in profit compared to Playstation, Playstationis currently still larger in terms of what they bring in profit wise and what they generate revenue wise.

In terms of a profitability of a division there's no question on where Playstation is. Also what has come of any of the studios they have bought from XBox? We still wont see anything until next year, and Starfield was in production pre purchase.

So until we see Microsoft putting out games at the quality and clip Sony has the past 2 years than no, thats not the case.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Bethesda = Slow (Fallout was 2016, so 6 years likely 7)
420 people. Thats the size of Bethesda. You think they can make Starfield and redesign there engine over a small period. Have you ever considered how big games like Skyrim are? If you thought a game like that can be made in 3 years without building on top of an existing one(like Gears 5 from 4 or Doom Eternal from Doom 2016) then be my guest.
343 = slow (took 6 years to make a game essentially unfinished)
540 people. 343 handles everything Halo, like the books or comics. Of those six years they spent the first two years were spent working on Halo Wars 2 and adding content to Halo 5. Meanwhile they completely built that Slipspace Engine by 2018. They still fixed MCC, ported it to Steam and started adding new content to it. Halo Infinite development started in 2018. So within 3 years they built Halo Infinite while adding new content to MCC and working from home during lockdown.
Blizzard = Slow (Overwatch in 2016 was the last full new game they made),
Rare = slow (SoT was in 2018, no sign of Everwild being close to done)
You don't understand how live service works. Blizzard works on multiple games at the same time. Like 60 people in Hearthstone team, 300 people making WoW expansion every two years etc. Rare is constantly updating Sea of Theives.
Activision = same game basically every year
Oh they are as same as Gears 4 to Gears 5 or any 10th gen first party sequel to 9th gen projects. Takes like 3 years. Hence Doom (2016) took 6 years to make but Doom Eternal only 3.5.
A lot of MS studios are very efficient. Obsidian made Outer Worlds in 3 years(although Avowed and TOW 2 are bigger) with 70 people in the project and now they are working on multiple projects. Ninja Theory is like 100 people divided into Hellblade II and Project Mara. InXile is like 100 people making a big RPG, Compulsion is only 90 people. Both id Software and Coalition can make a new AAA game in almost 3-3.5 years, but Doom. Tango Gameworks and Initiative are like 70 people. Playground Games is essentially building a new team for a Bethesda sized RPG.

Sosokrates

You were saying Xbox as a division has caught up and is now possibly more successful than Playstation? Unless you are putting out the numbers from your ass that shows Specifically how much the XBox division makes in profit compared to Playstation, Playstationis currently still larger in terms of what they bring in profit wise and what they generate revenue wise.

In terms of a profitability of a division there's no question on where Playstation is. Also what has come of any of the studios they have bought from XBox? We still wont see anything until next year, and Starfield was in production pre purchase.

So until we see Microsoft putting out games at the quality and clip Sony has the past 2 years than no, thats not the case.

I think you have the posts confused, the post your quoting was in response to somone saying that sony has this covered, if there main competition is releasing significantly more games later in the gen, then they dont "have it covered", not yet anyway.

Also I never said Ms have caught up. The point was that people wont count out Xbox in comparison to sony anymore, or if they do the relaity of the industry does not show that, not only in terms of console sales. As a consumer the games, services, and hardware are more important when determining which product i think is better.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think you have the posts confused, the post your quoting was in response to somone saying that sony has this covered, if there main competition is releasing significantly more games later in the gen, then they dont "have it covered", not yet anyway.

Also I never said Ms have caught up. The point was that people wont count out Xbox in comparison to sony anymore, or if they do the relaity of the industry does not show that, not only in terms of console sales. As a consumer the games, services, and hardware are more important when determining which product i think is better.

I think your point is Microsoft is setup to put out a lot of games. I think other peoples point are the quality and consistency is the thing Microsoft has not shown they have overcome yet. ANd when you look at how many new titles each has release internally. Sony trumps Microsoft when comparing internal first party.

Returnal even before buying housemarque was being made for Sony, RATCHET, DEMONS SOULS, MILES, now we have MLB the show coming in april, Horizon this month, GT 7 next month, God of war in September.

Like what has ms put out in past couple years? You can say titles like Deathloop, Psychonaughts 2. But those games were in devlopment and not contracted for Xbox as exclusive. So they were not fitting the bill originally for development.

Sony literally has 4 games coming internally from their studios this year. All look quality. What have we seen from internal MS studios? Last year we had forza, halo and gears tactics for PC if you want to count that for 2021.
So the point still stands at the consistency in quality made games. The word is still out on that one from internal studios by Microsoft.

Last edited:

tmlDan

420 people. Thats the size of Bethesda. You think they can make Starfield and redesign there engine over a small period. Have you ever considered how big games like Skyrim are? If you thought a game like that can be made in 3 years without building on top of an existing one(like Gears 5 from 4 or Doom Eternal from Doom 2016) then be my guest.

540 people. 343 handles everything Halo, like the books or comics. Of those six years they spent the first two years were spent working on Halo Wars 2 and adding content to Halo 5. Meanwhile they completely built that Slipspace Engine by 2018. They still fixed MCC, ported it to Steam and started adding new content to it. Halo Infinite development started in 2018. So within 3 years they built Halo Infinite while adding new content to MCC and working from home during lockdown.

You don't understand how live service works. Blizzard works on multiple games at the same time. Like 60 people in Hearthstone team, 300 people making WoW expansion every two years etc. Rare is constantly updating Sea of Theives.

Oh they are as same as Gears 4 to Gears 5 or any 10th gen first party sequel to 9th gen projects. Takes like 3 years. Hence Doom (2016) took 6 years to make but Doom Eternal only 3.5.
A lot of MS studios are very efficient. Obsidian made Outer Worlds in 3 years(although Avowed and TOW 2 are bigger) with 70 people in the project and now they are working on multiple projects. Ninja Theory is like 100 people divided into Hellblade II and Project Mara. InXile is like 100 people making a big RPG, Compulsion is only 90 people. Both id Software and Coalition can make a new AAA game in almost 3-3.5 years, but Doom. Tango Gameworks and Initiative are like 70 people. Playground Games is essentially building a new team for a Bethesda sized RPG.
you should prob read the rest of the conversation before going off

I understand everything but I still don't think its efficient enough to make a dent in the market the way its structured right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they consolidate some of the studios.

you're making a lot of excuses for content that doesn't justify the time spent.

Sosokrates

I think your point is Microsoft is setup to put out a lot of games. I think other peoples point are the quality and consistency is the thing Microsoft has not shown they have overcome yet. ANd when you look at how many new titles each has release internally. Sony trumps Microsoft when comparing internal first party.

Returnal even before buying housemarque was being made for Sony, RATCHET, DEMONS SOULS, MILES, now we have MLB the show coming in april, Horizon this month, GT 7 next month, God of war in September.

Like what has ms put out in past couple years? You can say titles like Deathloop, Psychonaughts 2. But those games were in devlopment and not contracted for Xbox as exclusive. So they were not fitting the bill originally for development.

Sony literally has 4 games coming internally from their studios this year. All look quality. What have we seen from internal MS studios? Last year we had forza, halo and gears tactics for PC if you want to count that for 2021.
So the point still stands at the consistency in quality made games. The word is still out on that one from internal studios by Microsoft.

Not true, when you look at XGS past work (including acti-blizz) its just as good as sonys best stuff.
But thats subjective right, yes it is, but what is not subjective is that the sales and ip of XGS is broader and higher then sonys, even if you limit XGS content to the best selling game platform in each respective gen (to eliminate the multiplat advantage)

I mean of course theres going to be ebbs and flows for release schedules,
Obviously 2021 was a quieter year for XGS, but when the acti-blizz deal goes through there release schedule is going to be stacked.

Xbox also have a good set of games for this year, starfield, redfall and deathloop, plus other unannounced possibilities.

2023 onwards are going to be really strong for XBOX.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Not true, when you look at XGS past work (including acti-blizz) its just as good as sonys best stuff.
But thats subjective right, yes it is, but what is not subjective is that the sales and ip of XGS is broader and higher then sonys, even if you limit XGS content to the best selling game platform in each respective gen (to eliminate the multiplat advantage)

Why would you include Acti/Blizzard? We are talking internally own studios. As in not a purchase that was just announced for fucking publisher thats still not final. I listed all internal projects that either came from Sony studios or were contracted games being funded developed for Playstation pre-purchase of said studio?

Lets keep this a little realistic. We are talking about organically owned/created studios/teams. As in Xbox or Sony having a hand in the said titles production/Creation.

If your seriously going to fucking compare call of duty to the list of games internally made by sONY STUDIO then to ignore you go.

Microsoft had no hand in any of the call of duty's that have been released. Sony has had a hand in every game pre-purchase of said studio that I listed. And go back to internal teams they have had for decades like Sucker punch, santa monic, naughty dog shows the consistency we are talking about.

Right now Microsoft doesnt manage anything from Activision/Blizzard until this deal gets reviewed and goes through.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Why would you include Acti/Blizzard? We are talking internally own studios. As in not a purchase that was just announced for fucking publisher thats still not final. I listed all internal projects that either came from Sony studios or were contracted games being funded developed for Playstation pre-purchase of said studio?

Lets keep this a little realistic. We are talking about organically owned/created studios/teams. As in Xbox or Sony having a hand in the said titles production/Creation.
Ive been talking about the 35 teams Xbox will own.

Papacheeks

Banned
Ive been talking about the 35 teams Xbox will own.

I think thats ridiculous to what others are talking about. We are talking about greenlit projects and collaborations like Fable, Perfect dark, Everwild, hellblade 2 which are games that Microsoft has had a hand in specifically.

Those are still out in the wind at this point.

I should have read your tag. I got baited. Jokes on me I guess. To ignore you go.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I think thats ridiculous to what others are talking about. We are talking about greenlit projects and collaborations like Fable, Perfect dark, Everwild, hellblade 2 which are games that Microsoft has had a hand in specifically.

Those are still out in the wind at this point.

I should have read your tag. I got baited. Jokes on me I guess. To ignore you go.
Look no matter how many deflections you attempt, my point still stands that sony will be at a disadvantage when MS will have 15 more teams then they do.

Sosokrates

Now I want to see desperately all the masterpiece Activision will release in the next years.

The next modern warfare title should be impressive, if your into that kinda thing.
Infinity ward have very good tech.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Point is, even the most diehard sony fan can see that Xbox is now not playing 2nd fiddle.
They can see that similar sales and a good chance ms will be make more revenue by the time this gen finishes.

Facts are facts, and right now all you have is speculation. So you can speculate, but you’re here talking as if you’re posting from the year 2027…

MS just bought Activision and Bethesda.

Sony isn't competitive as of yet.

MS's last year output was a mere hint of what's to come.

No doubt Sony will pick some more developers. EA at least to come in line.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How can Sony possibly compete with Xbox - whom they've been dominating for 20+ years?
Nah seriously Sony really can't compete.
It would be foolish of them to even try.
Well....so I've been told 🤔

Sosokrates

Facts are facts, and right now all you have is speculation. So you can speculate, but you’re here talking as if you’re posting from the year 2027…

Having 15 more devs(once deal has cleared) and gamepass is not speculation.

Or are you going to suggest that sony having more then double the first party during the xbox one was not an advantage?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Or are you going to suggest that sony having more then double the first party during the xbox one was not an advantage?
Can you remind me all this major quantity of successful IP released by Bethesda and Activision in the past generation comparing it with the Sony studios releases?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

I'm sorry are you selling time machines?

Show me the advantage. Show me Xbox 1st in hardware sales, show me Xbox 1st in revenue. I'll leave profits out of this because at 70 billion there's no profit in sight, that's probably more money than Xbox did in its existence(revenue, profits of course lmao).

Speculate my son, but you trying to drop time travel facts and so show me the facts. Where are those games?

By the end of the generation they might have the same amount of studios. Maybe even by the end of this year. But if you really are posting from the future, give me the low down.... Are Tom Holland and Zendaya still together?

Last edited:
Top Bottom