• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry to make another ABK thread, but there's so much focus on CoD, I'm just like Crash and Spyro...

Just to clarify, I don't mean like I make constant threads about the issue. I just know there's been a lot. Mods allowing, I'd like to discuss this one if I may.

I mean I got my first PlayStation in 1996, I've been a gamer since 1993. Crash and Spyro were huge things for me and people are harrowing this deal out over CoD like there isn't a bigger IP portfolio to consider? Okay, sure, Blizzard always felt like an XBOX developer anyway. I mean I was shocked to learn the original Diablo was released on PlayStation way back in the day. I genuinely never saw a copy.

But when Crash and Spyro had their remasters and we've now had like CTR Remastered and Crash 4, I've been really enjoying spending time with my son playing games with him that I loved when I was younger. He adores the mascot's and for me, these two wouldn't really exist without PlayStation. So the thought of them, potentially (because let's be fair, this deal only mentions licences for CoD and nobody is really talking about the other IP ABK own) being exclusive to XBOX is a little sad. And just to be clear, I didn't really support Sony acquiring Bungie, although, I know why they did it. It did feel like a knee jerk reaction.

But there's so much focus on this deal and a single IP. I'm sure there's gamers who love other IP that may very well become XBOX exclusive in future. Like I'm a dad. I have a mortgage. I have a car to pay for. A son who is 5 and another currently stuck on a loading screen for the next two months whilst he downloads more RAM. I can't afford another platform. I don't own a particularly powerful PC. It's got a 4th Generation i5 in there, 16GB of RAM, an SSD and a 960 GTX - it ain't winning no graphics awards anytime soon. But the SSD keeps it fast and relevant. But is it sometime I could say use for GamePass XBOX exclusives? Well, no not really. It's getting older and I don't have the cash to pay for a better one. I have a PS5 that I was incredibly lucky to get as so many people gave me £30 for my £30th birthday that I could just about afford one when it was launch. My son has a Switch but I pay for my console and my son gets spoilt by our family. One way or another, future titles may very well not come to either platform. I don't smoke, I don't drink. I don't go on nights out. I have one takeaway a month. And with two full time wages coming in, the cost of living and the bills going up, I couldn't dream of affording yet another platform. It really sucks.

Like I say, it's a pretty sad thought. Certainly for me. The history the IP has with the platform. I actually think if MS would agree to sell them off for a reasonable price I honestly wouldn't care about the merger. But that's me and my tastes.

Is there an IP - that is not Call of Duty - that you would be sad to see leave a platform you own and play/predominantly play?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
HBfyrlg.jpg

By the time anything is exclusive you will be able to get a Series S for like $120. Wow what an outrage.

I don't live in America. If you had any idea what the cost of living is like here or you spent a day in my life, you'd know £120 can go a long, long way. I certainly wouldn't spend it on a Series S and a subscription service.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I get what you're saying. Crash and Spyro don't belong with ABK in my opinion. They're outliers compared to virtually every other game in the ABK catalog. Unfortunately, such is life. I moved on to PC gaming, so this doesn't impact me like it does you, but I certainly empathize with how you feel. Can you imagine the outrage from PlayStation fans if they found out that Final Fantasy was going to be Xbox exclusive going forward? Or possibly the Xbox fans if they found out that Halo was going to be a PlayStation exclusive? This is why I hate the idea (and the practice) of Microsoft and Sony buying up third-party publishers and studios. I don't think it is good for consumers for either company to be in control of a bunch of former third-party IPs.

CamHostage

Look, it's a weird situation if you're an old-school PS gamer, and depending on how MS runs it this might be the last PS sees of these brands (though "exclusivity" isn't the primary goal here...)

However, look at the last couple years of Activision activity. Look at the Activision website. It's a Call of Duty company now. They're making Crash Rumble, for reasons unclear, but they have up on THPS after the remaster and they haven't had a Spyro in a while and they moved the Toys for Bob to CoD and Vicarious Visions to Blizzard and they haven't launched a new IP since White Night and Destiny 1 in 2014/15. (Technically, they publish our distribute FromSofts Sekiro.) Activision as we knew it was seemingly over.

With MS taking over, there's a chance now that some of these brands may escape from the CoD vaults. That's at least a chance...

Blizzard felt like an Xbox developer? That's a hell of a fucking leap I'd love to hear the explanation to.
for some reason developers publishing on PC makes people think it’s the same as the “second party” relationships Sony has.

Now about Spyro and Crash. It’s extremely unlikely for them to become exclusive. They don’t move the needle. And quite frankly the franchises are going to take a hit with the upcoming game. Sony should have purchased them before the remaster. They are more valuable to them simply from the nostalgia of their fanbase.

A Spyro Insomniac game would of banged.

I don't live in America. If you had any idea what the cost of living is like here or you spent a day in my life, you'd know £120 can go a long, long way. I certainly wouldn't spend it on a Series S and a subscription service.
I do live in America and $120 is a lot for me too. I'm a 40something who had bills. I make about 45k a year with a modest home and car, also about to be married again, buying other consoles isn't in the picture. My concern was more for doom and elder scrolls. M$ screwed a lot of us. Why would I reward them with my hard earned money. Especially with inflation hitting everything.

Luckily I have a pc with a 3060ti and a steam deck, steam link, along with my ps5/switch, so it doesn't matter, although not everyone has a pc like I do. So don't let the fanboys make it seem like Ms is innocent and you shouldn't care.

diffusionx

Gold Member
i personally do not think MS gives two shits about these series, no matter what Spencer said when the acquisition was announced. I think they are buying it for COD and that's what they are going to focus 90% on, along with other live shit like WoW, Diablo, Candy Crush garbage, etc. It's not like MS has done much with the "classic" franchises of other studios they've acquired over the years. So yea, in summary, I would be surprised if some time down the line they announced new Spyro/Crash and it was exclusive.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

Buddy, you're talking almost 20 years of content that they'd have to design for the current console that would be replaced by the time their work was done. They already have a hell of a time dealing with just a PC version of the game. You'd have to show there's enough of a console market for it to be worth the investment. The topic of a console version of WoW has come up for well over a decade now and they haven't budged on it. It has nothing to do with controller support. It is the sheer amount of work it would take at this point that they never planned on. It's one of the reasons why FF14 will probably never see the light of day on Xbox. It's too much and too late for too little. And every new expansion that comes out is one more nail in that coffin. That's not even getting into how third-party add-ons are applied in this game.

This is the game director being asked about a console version 5 months ago.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I don't mean like I make constant threads about the issue. I just know there's been a lot. Mods allowing, I'd like to discuss this one if I may.

I mean I got my first PlayStation in 1996, I've been a gamer since 1993. Crash and Spyro were huge things for me and people are harrowing this deal out over CoD like there isn't a bigger IP portfolio to consider? Okay, sure, Blizzard always felt like an XBOX developer anyway. I mean I was shocked to learn the original Diablo was released on PlayStation way back in the day. I genuinely never saw a copy.

But when Crash and Spyro had their remasters and we've now had like CTR Remastered and Crash 4, I've been really enjoying spending time with my son playing games with him that I loved when I was younger. He adores the mascot's and for me, these two wouldn't really exist without PlayStation. So the thought of them, potentially (because let's be fair, this deal only mentions licences for CoD and nobody is really talking about the other IP ABK own) being exclusive to XBOX is a little sad. And just to be clear, I didn't really support Sony acquiring Bungie, although, I know why they did it. It did feel like a knee jerk reaction.

But there's so much focus on this deal and a single IP. I'm sure there's gamers who love other IP that may very well become XBOX exclusive in future. Like I'm a dad. I have a mortgage. I have a car to pay for. A son who is 5 and another currently stuck on a loading screen for the next two months whilst he downloads more RAM. I can't afford another platform. I don't own a particularly powerful PC. It's got a 4th Generation i5 in there, 16GB of RAM, an SSD and a 960 GTX - it ain't winning no graphics awards anytime soon. But the SSD keeps it fast and relevant. But is it sometime I could say use for GamePass XBOX exclusives? Well, no not really. It's getting older and I don't have the cash to pay for a better one. I have a PS5 that I was incredibly lucky to get as so many people gave me £30 for my £30th birthday that I could just about afford one when it was launch. My son has a Switch but I pay for my console and my son gets spoilt by our family. One way or another, future titles may very well not come to either platform. I don't smoke, I don't drink. I don't go on nights out. I have one takeaway a month. And with two full time wages coming in, the cost of living and the bills going up, I couldn't dream of affording yet another platform. It really sucks.

Like I say, it's a pretty sad thought. Certainly for me. The history the IP has with the platform. I actually think if MS would agree to sell them off for a reasonable price I honestly wouldn't care about the merger. But that's me and my tastes.

Is there an IP - that is not Call of Duty - that you would be sad to see leave a platform you own and play/predominantly play?
I'm sorry, but do you seriously expect Activision to bring back any IP that isn't Call of Duty? Every single developer has been either sent to Blizzard or has been forced into the Call of Duty mines.
Crash Team Rumble is a dying gasp of air before the developer (Toys For Bob) is fully reassigned to Call of Duty like every other developer that worked on the Spyro and Crash games of recent years.
Activision has no interest in selling any of their IPs, even if they never plan on using those IPs again.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I do live in America and $120 is a lot for me too. I'm a 40something who had bills. I make about 45k a year with a modest home and car, also about to be married again, buying other consoles isn't in the picture. My concern was more for doom and elder scrolls. M$ screwed a lot of us. Why would I reward them with my hard earned money. Especially with inflation hitting everything.

Luckily I have a pc with a 3060ti and a steam deck, steam link, along with my ps5/switch, so it doesn't matter, although not everyone has a pc like I do. So don't let the fanboys make it seem like Ms is innocent and you shouldn't care.
"$120 is a lot for me too, buying another console isn't in the picture for me. Btw, I have a 3060ti PC, Steam Deck, Steam Link, Nintendo Switch, PS5. But back to the Series S... no way I can afford that. MS screwed us!!!"

93xfan

Banned
I was a massive PlayStation fan since the PS1 as well, OP. Sorry to hear that bums you out.

I have no sympathy for Sony, however. The way they’ve destroyed some of my favorite franchises they’ve owned. Socom, Jumping Flash, Jet Moto, Tomba, Warhawk, etc. they’ve also been lazy about PS1 classics and BC in general. Wish they would lose a few more franchises to some companies who could and would do something with them.

//DEVIL//

What if Xbox was actually called PlayStation. Would you feel ok ?

If you prefer specific games , you buy that console, you don't buy another console because it has a name you like and you grew up with but doesn't have the games you want.

People need to stop being fanboys of a name . They are just plastic boxes with different names on top.

Follow the box that has the games you want. Not the name you want.

We all grew up on PlayStation dude. You are not special no offense. The only hardcore were the Nintendo fanboys back then and even then half of them also bought a PlayStation 1. There was no Xbox back then to begin with.

I also have no sympathy for Sony whatsoever. Especially when they decided to release their games on PC and focus on nothing but woke fat bitch pretending to be a hero and made Kratos a pussy and not released games I want and grew up like twisted metal and stuff from the old era

Also. No offense and no disrespect whatsoever. But you are paying a mortgage to own a house / apartment . But you can't afford a used Xbox series x or s ? Sorry but that is hard to believe ( again I am not into your financial situation so please don't feel the need to justify a reply. Just thinking out loud )

If anything, Xbox game pass is a better option if you are that stuck with the money situation since 15$ a month better than 70$ a game

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
woke fat bitch pretending to be a hero
Huh? If you're talking about Aloy, if that's a fat bitch to you then you've either only fucked anorexics or body builders.

made Kratos a pussy
They turned Kratos back into a dad. Who beat serious ass and killed all sorts of shit. What is your definition of a pussy then? Because I promise if that's your bar, every person on this forum is a pussy. Including you.

skit_data

Same boat, the only worthwhile to come from Activision in the last 10 years are the Crash Trilogy, CTR, Spyro and THPS 1+2 remakes. Unfortunately those studios have been folded into CoD development so I doubt we will see anything more from those studios.

Gambit2483

You don't spend millions of dollars for dozens and dozens of IP just to share them or give complete parity if shared.

Crash will become exclusive. You want Crash on Nintendo or Playstation? TOO BAD, buy a Xbox....and IF they decide to share the games guess what? You won't be going to the store to buy a physical copy of Crash for Playstation. MS will allow Sony and Nintendo to put Gamepass on their platform and that is where you will now play ALL Activision/Blizzard...IF they decide to share.

Also, while COD will still come to the other platforms (for now) what's to stop them from adding some Bullshit loophole where it's a timed exclusive for a month or two and is ONLY on Xbox at first? This is all under the assumption that MS' poor studio management will even get these games out in a timely fashion or at a consistent high quality

Anyone ok with the MS acquisition of ABK is going to sorely regret it and wish it never happened...again, just like with Bethesda, they didn't spend MILLIONS just to share Redfall and Starfield with Sony. MS wants exclusives. They want you to Have to buy and play on Xbox and/or Gamepass for dozens and dozens of games, especially COD.

Reactions: Dis

Antwix

If a new crash or spyro game ever comes out (don't hold your breath on that one), you could use your PC to use xcloud to stream with a 1 month sub of gamepass.

In any case, I hope the merger goes thru so Microsoft can maybe do something with the Prototype franchise

Last edited:

Dis

But beauty is captured in time. And since we’re talking about nostalgia. I think xbox cant do with Crash thats already done by Playstation.

In other words. I’m not interested in new Crash material by Xbox. The Crash material i already have is enough for this lifetime.

Which Crash material would you want to show your son. I think the 1st crash game remake is what its about mainly right?

Even if we manage to force back what was lost
It will never be the same as it was - Guts.

(Omg im getting in my “get off my lawn” stage of life)

Gambit2483

But beauty is captured in time. And since we’re talking about nostalgia. I think xbox cant do with Crash thats already done by Playstation.

In other words. I’m not interested in new Crash material by Xbox. The Crash material i already have is enough for this lifetime.

Which Crash material would you want to show your son. I think the 1st crash game remake is what its about mainly right?

Even if we manage to force back what was lost
It will never be the same as it was - Guts.

(Omg im getting in my “get off my lawn” stage of life)
It's ultimately not about Crash. It's about EVERY IP under Activision Blizzard, including Diablo, World of Warcraft, Overwatch and evenTrue Crime.

Everything will be trapped on Xbox/Gamepass and will live or die based on MS willing to fund their development or actually NOT mismanage the development teams. They can't even get their shit together now and people expect it to get better with MORE studios and IP to manage??

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm sorry, but do you seriously expect Activision to bring back any IP that isn't Call of Duty? Every single developer has been either sent to Blizzard or has been forced into the Call of Duty mines.

No, but there's more of a chance more with a shift in its market presence interests being owned than there was as a solo publisher. I really don't think Kotick has faith in any brand but CoD and what Blizzard makes, but he eventually won't make all the calls.

But, like you say, probably nothing good will happen with these entombed brands.

You don't spend millions of dollars for dozens and dozens of IP just to share them or give complete parity if shared.

You don't in the old days of acquiring developers to make exclusive flagships; in these new times of acquiring publishers though, anything can happen. MS has different interests now beyond the usual schlong-measuring contest of previous console generations. (Sony btw is also is testing its portfolio expansion with Bungie too.) And Kotick and Hines still need to put numbers on their boards.

Exclusives are still part of the game, of course, and could be how things shake out eventually for all the brands we're talking about, but the market is too complicated these days to say for sure what's going to happen in the future with big plays.

Gambit2483

No, but there's more of a chance more with a shift in its market presence interests being owned than there was as a solo publisher. I really don't think Kotick has faith in any brand but CoD and what Blizzard makes, but he eventually won't make all the calls.

But, like you say, probably nothing good will happen with these entombed brands.

You don't in the old days of acquiring developers to make exclusive flagships; in these new times of acquiring publishers though, anything can happen. MS has different interests now beyond the usual schlong-measuring contest of previous console generations. (Sony btw is also is testing its portfolio expansion with Bungie too.) And Kotick and Hines still need to put numbers on their boards.

Exclusives are still part of the game, of course, and could be how things shake out eventually for all the brands we're talking about, but the market is too complicated these days to say for sure what's going to happen in the future with big plays.
MS desperately needs people to buying Xbox consoles and subscribing to Gamepass. That won't happen if they continue to put the games on Sony's platform. They can say All they want but it's going to be Redfall/Starfield all over again.

And like I said, even if they do share you aren't going to be buying those games at your local Walmart or from Amazon. You'll be opening up your Gamepass app and playing from there...and if Sony or Nintendo refuse to use Gamepass then MS can simply say "Oh well, I guess they didn't really want those games anyway." This deal is going to completely fuck over everyone within the industry (including consumers) except MS

Last edited:

aries_71

I think you are overreacting and trying to fight against times. Do you pay all TV streaming platforms? No? Then surely you are missing Star Trek, or Marvel, or Harry Potter movies, which are distributed in different streaming platforms. Or maybe you pay Paramount for Star Trek content for a couple of months, then switch to Disney Plus to watch Marvel?

Times are changing and you will have to choose. Choice is not bad. In the worst case scenario, you will have to pay the incredible amount of $15 for a month of gamepass and plsy those titles through xcloud.

Gambit2483

I think you are overreacting and trying to fight against times. Do you pay all TV streaming platforms? No? Then surely you are missing Star Trek, or Marvel, or Harry Potter movies, which are distributed in different streaming platforms. Or maybe you pay Paramount for Star Trek content for a couple of months, then switch to Disney Plus to watch Marvel?

Times are changing and you will have to choose. Choice is not bad. In the worst case scenario, you will have to pay the incredible amount of $15 for a month of gamepass and plsy those titles through xcloud.

Because I don't like the idea that MS can't make their own fucking good exclusive games and has to buy them up and take them away from their competitors in order to be able to compete.

I also Don't like the idea of some mega corporation taking away our options as consumers. Do you want to play Crash digitally or own a physical copy? Do you want to play it portably or on your Playstation and add to it to your already existing Playstation library? We currently have CHOICES. With MS all of that goes away just because they can't get their shit together and properly compete in this industry anymore.

Fuck that shit.

I don't know how anyone can be okay with blatant anti-consumer tactics and intentions.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because I don't like the idea that MS can't make their own fucking good exclusive games and has to buy them up and take them away from their competitors in order to be able to compete.

I also Don't like the idea of some mega corporation taking away our options as consumers. Do you want to play Crash digitally or own a physical copy? Do you want to play it portably or on your Playstation and add to it to your already existing Playstation library? We currently have CHOICES. With MS all of that goes away just because they can't get their shit together and properly compete in this industry anymore.

Fuck that shit.

I don't know how anyone can be okay with blatant anti-consumer tactics and intentions.

It’s not a novel thing in the industry to pay to secure previously third party IP for console exclusivity, and both sides do this to close gaps in their exclusive output. It usually isn’t because they can’t ‘get their shit together’.

For example, it feels like a bit of double standards here to see you upset at Microsoft for doing this, while being hyped to play Final Fantasy on your PlayStation.

The right move is to buy both consoles so you don’t have to get irrationally angry about business decisions.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

But wasn’t that cash you were going to spend on buying these games if they launched on your platform?

In your example scenario, You would have bought Spyro and Crash for 50 pounds apiece, right?

Cloud streaming also remains an option open to you, especially since you’re in the UK. No reason why games like that wouldn’t run well via streaming.

Gambit2483

It’s not a novel thing in the industry to pay to secure previously third party IP for console exclusivity, and both sides do this to close gaps in their exclusive output. It usually isn’t because they can’t ‘get their shit together’.

For example, it feels like a bit of double standards here to see you upset at Microsoft for doing this, while being hyped to play Final Fantasy on your PlayStation.

The right move is to buy both consoles so you don’t have to get irrationally angry about business decisions.
There is a difference in doing what Nintendo does when they buy what is essentially a 2nd party developer that they already have a long history of working exclusively with.

Or like when Sony bought bungie, a single development team.

What MS is doing is buying complete publishers wholesale and in turn dozens upon dozens of IP because they can't make enough good games with their own in-house studios anymore. They are trying to create a semi-monopoly.

As for Sony and Final Fantasy that's a matter of SquareEnix deciding that MS' platform is not worth their time and money to invest in since their platform's physical sales are significantly less than Sony's. You can blame MS for conditioning their audience to instead rent games on Gamepass and their weak presence in Japan for that one. Also they are not being bought wholesale where Sony would be the sole owners of ALL SE's IP...completely different situation.

Last edited:

Three

By the time anything is exclusive you will be able to get a Series S for like $120. Wow what an outrage
What a brilliant idea. I wonder why the OP didn't think about spending an unnecessary £200 to play the games at a lower standard years later.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Then buy a used Series S or X at the Amazon Warehouse and if you don't like it :messenger_winking: return it after 30 days. If the game has a physical copy, buy it used and resell it. If not get it dirt cheap from Argentina or Turkey via VPN. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Then buy a used Series S or X at the Amazon Warehouse and if you don't like it :messenger_winking: return it after 30 days. If the game has a physical copy, buy it used and resell it. If not get it dirt cheap from Argentina or Turkey via VPN. Problem solved.
This man comin in with the cheat codes.

Happy Love It GIF by Saturday Night Live

Dis

There is a difference in doing what Nintendo does when they buy what is essentially a 2nd party developer that they already have a long history of working exclusively with.

What MS is doing is buying complete publishers wholesale and in turn dozens upon dozens of IP because they can't make enough good games with their own in-house studios anymore. They are trying to create a semi-monopoly.

As for Sony and Final Fantasy that's a matter of SquareEnix deciding that MS' platform is not worth their time and money to invest in since their platform's physical sales are significantly less than Sony's. You can blame MS for conditioning their audience to instead rent games on Gamepass and their weak presence in Japan for that one. Also they are not being bought wholesale where Sony would be the sole owners of ALL SE's IP...completely different situation.
It's ultimately not about Crash. It's about EVERY IP under Activision Blizzard, including Diablo, World of Warcraft, Overwatch and evenTrue Crime.

Everything will be trapped on Xbox/Gamepass and will live or die based on MS willing to fund their development or actually NOT mismanage the development teams. They can't even get their shit together now and people expect it to get better with MORE studios and IP to manage??

Ohhh now i see
Xbox isnt trying to compete with Playstation and Nintendo. They’re gunning for the gaming markets storefront!

hhhhh and these are the “there’s a product called xbox 360 for that” people

! they want to make it so that we dont even own games REGARDLESS if we play on Sony or Nintendo

These people are evil. This is an attack on games in general.

Ozriel

M$FT

There is fundamentally no difference. IP that used to be on your platform suddenly disappears because of a commercial arrangement between the developer and another platform maker.

As for Sony and Final Fantasy that's a matter of SquareEnix deciding that MS' platform is not worth their time and money to invest in since their platform's physical sales are significantly less than Sony's.

They’re not on Xbox because Sony paid for exclusivity. And that’s a perfectly fine business strategy.
There’s nothing ‘anti-consumer’ about any of this. It’s just business.

Top Bottom