• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry to make another ABK thread, but there's so much focus on CoD, I'm just like Crash and Spyro...

Zathalus

I don't think you need to be worried anytime soon. The next Spyro and Crash games are likely many years off, if they will be developed at all. Maybe your financial situation would be better in 5 years time.

Ronin_7

Banned
Bruh let's make one thing straight here:

Every single Activision studio is working on Call of Duty and not ANYTHING ELSE!

Very unlikely you'll see a AAA Spyro or Crash game again in the near or medium term, also Tony Hawk... + These franchises have unfortunately flopped massively apparently.

Shipping yearly CoDs + supporting the Old title + Warzone is a nightmare and it's showing, Cod is a mess as we speak BUT it's still a cash cow.

Every Activision IP has become irrelevant because they're Dead in water as we speak.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bruh let's make one thing straight here:

Every single Activision studio is working on Call of Duty and not ANYTHING ELSE!

Very unlikely you'll see a AAA Spyro or Crash game again in the near or medium term, also Tony Hawk... + These franchises have unfortunately flopped massively apparently.

Shipping yearly CoDs + supporting the Old title + Warzone is a nightmare and it's showing, Cod is a mess as we speak BUT it's still a cash cow.

Every Activision IP has become irrelevant because they're Dead in water as we speak.

There’s no guarantee that Activision’s strategy post acquisition won’t change somewhat.

Already, scaling down the 2023 COD release is bound to give their studios some more breathing room.

Ronin_7

Banned
There’s no guarantee that Activision’s strategy post acquisition won’t change somewhat.

Already, scaling down the 2023 COD release is bound to give their studios some more breathing room.
The reason was delayed it's because it wasn't ready, it doesn't mean the studios have breathing room whatsoever... They're all still working really hard on CoD.

Activision will most likely act like LinkedIn under MS, not much will probably change, it's a healthy company and Microsoft can't afford to sink them.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Just to clarify, I don't mean like I make constant threads about the issue. I just know there's been a lot. Mods allowing, I'd like to discuss this one if I may.

I mean I got my first PlayStation in 1996, I've been a gamer since 1993. Crash and Spyro were huge things for me and people are harrowing this deal out over CoD like there isn't a bigger IP portfolio to consider? Okay, sure, Blizzard always felt like an XBOX developer anyway. I mean I was shocked to learn the original Diablo was released on PlayStation way back in the day. I genuinely never saw a copy.
d1 on playstation was glorious, u missed out a ton, including fricken couch coop, u were gamer back then so u know games werent super ez and handholding players like today, diablo was hard af till u actually turned into neo and saw its mechanics/code(hundreds of hours of play or at least reading few good guides will help), but then its like new world opens that casuals/newbies never saw.

Chukhopops

I think Spyro is dead and Crash has very little chance of having another standalone game, acquisition or not. They’re just not big IPs anymore right now.

Maybe with the acquisition there’s a chance they will be characters in Xbox All-Stars Karting (made with the FH engine).

Ozriel

M$FT
The reason was delayed it's because it wasn't ready, it doesn't mean the studios have breathing room whatsoever... They're all still working really hard on CoD.

Whatever the reason, the next studio in line to make a COD game just got one more year to work on their game.

I’m not sure how else you want to define ‘breathing room’.

Activision will most likely act like LinkedIn under MS, not much will probably change, it's a healthy company and Microsoft can't afford to sink them.

‘Change’ can also mean improvement. Activision say they want to staff up and expand. How will that constitute ‘sinking them’?
Spencer is on record talking about reactivating old IP, so there’s that too.

for example, not much about management of the likes of Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playground and Tango is changing, but Microsoft is increasing funding and supporting expansion.

DragonNCM

18910-gamepad-support-and-accessibility-in-world-of-warcraft.jpg
Learning this controls ?
I will better take classes from rocket science.............

Ronin_7

Banned
Whatever the reason, the next studio in line to make a COD game just got one more year to work on their game.

I’m not sure how else you want to define ‘breathing room’.

‘Change’ can also mean improvement. Activision say they want to staff up and expand. How will that constitute ‘sinking them’?
Spencer is on record talking about reactivating old IP, so there’s that too.

for example, not much about management of the likes of Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playground and Tango is changing, but Microsoft is increasing funding and supporting expansion.
Don't put hopes on Activision doing anything other than Call of Duty anytime soon unless there are products underway we don't know about.

From what we know every Dev was transfered to CoD Code Base and are doing only Call of Duty work, Even if (BIG IF) Microsoft takes One or Two Devs out of Cod, these Spyro, TH and Spyro Games will take years upon years to make unless they're REMAKEs.

Ozriel

M$FT
Don't put hopes on Activision doing anything other than Call of Duty anytime soon unless there are products underway we don't know about.

From what we know every Dev was transfered to CoD Code Base and are doing only Call of Duty work, Even if (BIG IF) Microsoft takes One or Two Devs out of Cod, these Spyro, TH and Spyro Games will take years upon years to make unless they're REMAKEs.

The hilarious thing about your post is that PlayStation just sent me an email about Crash Team Rumble

xDwRqfs.jpg

^^ This doesn’t look like Call of Duty to me

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The difference with Microsoft buying these franchises is that they seem to put the family friendly games on other platforms.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games I’d expect to still appear on Switch.

Also consider using Reward programs like Microsoft’s to earn your way towards a Series S - or at least knock the price down considerably.

NickFire

It’s not a novel thing in the industry to pay to secure previously third party IP for console exclusivity, and both sides do this to close gaps in their exclusive output. It usually isn’t because they can’t ‘get their shit together’.

For example, it feels like a bit of double standards here to see you upset at Microsoft for doing this, while being hyped to play Final Fantasy on your PlayStation.

The right move is to buy both consoles so you don’t have to get irrationally angry about business decisions.
There is no equivalency to what they have been doing. And yes, they are buying pubs because they couldn’t get their shit together. We all saw their output over the last few years.

Ronin_7

Banned
The hilarious thing about your post is that PlayStation just sent me an email about Crash Team Rumble

xDwRqfs.jpg

^^ This doesn’t look like Call of Duty to me
I was talking about Main iterations of their popular franchises.

New Spyro
New Crash
New Tony Hawk

That game seems to be a spin off.

There's nothing hilarious about my post, I'm a developer myself at a multi Billion Dollar corporation, in the current times you don't take developers away from your cash cow to pursue new unproven IPs or whatsoever, it makes zero sense.

For those endeavors you either create or acquire new teams with other developers that have nothing to do (in this case) with Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I was talking about Main iterations of their popular franchises.

New Spyro
New Crash
New Tony Hawk

That game seems to be a spin off.
This IS a new game in the Crash franchise, and as a GaaS game, it’s probably going to tie down just as much resources as a mainline game, down the road.

It’s not as if the mainline Crash games take that long to make, anyway. Two years from Spyro Trilogy to Crash 4.

in the current times you don't take developers away from your cash cow to pursue new unproven IPs or whatsoever, it makes zero sense.

But Toys For Bob just went from supporting Call of Duty to making Crash Team Rumble.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Can you show me some footage about people doing m+20 or even around 10 with a controller?

Because that would be impressive.

Edit - also, what he meant is wow won't be a part of the sub, just like eso isn't.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

The difference with Microsoft buying these franchises is that they seem to put the family friendly games on other platforms.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games I’d expect to still appear on Switch.

Also consider using Reward programs like Microsoft’s to earn your way towards a Series S - or at least knock the price down considerably.

They seem. You'd expect. I'm sorry but I'd rather not leave the fate of ever buying or owning a Crash or Spyro game on my system of choice up to MS.

5 years from now MS could easily force everyone to rent these games from Gamepass. No more physical ownership. They could decide NOT to ever put Diablo on a Sony or Nintendo console ever again.

I just don't understand how people are excited at the prospect of LOSING OPTIONS and giving MS complete control of dozens of IP when they couldn't put out a single 1st party game in all of 2022. This is an incredibly horrible deal for consumers who want choice or physical games.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Ohhh now i see
Xbox isnt trying to compete with Playstation and Nintendo. They’re gunning for the gaming markets storefront!

hhhhh and these are the “there’s a product called xbox 360 for that” people

! they want to make it so that we dont even own games REGARDLESS if we play on Sony or Nintendo

These people are evil. This is an attack on games in general.
Here are some facts.

- They are desperate for Xbox sales.
- They are desperate to push Gamepass (loss of physical ownership)
- They bought Bethesda and immediately put their top games exclusively to Xbox
- They couldn't put out a single AAA game in an entire calendar year despite significantly increasing their studio count with more buyouts
- They have been known to have extremely anti-consumer practices (XboxOne release)

But sure let's ignore all of that and be OK with them simply buying as many IPs and Publisers/Studios since they can't compete with their own Studios anymore. Monopolies are so awesome and completely consumer friendly and never go wrong for the consumer in the long run.

Last edited:

RGB'D

I don't live in America. If you had any idea what the cost of living is like here or you spent a day in my life, you'd know £120 can go a long, long way. I certainly wouldn't spend it on a Series S and a subscription service.
But also buying full new releases of both those games on Playstation would also be the equivalent of a Series S and 3 months of subscription

Ronin_7

Banned
This IS a new game in the Crash franchise, and as a GaaS game, it’s probably going to tie down just as much resources as a mainline game, down the road.

It’s not as if the mainline Crash games take that long to make, anyway. Two years from Spyro Trilogy to Crash 4.

But Toys For Bob just went from supporting Call of Duty to making Crash Team Rumble.
I'm pretty sure they're actively working on CoD also.

Seems like the main Team is still allowed to make other games which is great but still CoD is the cash cow.

I don't care about Cod, those Activision Studios have insane talent they could be making insane games but it is what it is.

Top Bottom