• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soundbar for my Xbox Series X

Stafford

I'm searching for a soundbar for my movies and games. I have a Samsung S95B QD-OLED and the sound is alright for a TV but it lacks bass, a lot. I have seen two Samsung soundbars that are on discount now and they also have the option to add two rear speakers. But I might also consider a much older one by Philips. A few questions.

1- If I get a soundbar, hook it up to TVs eARC, keep Xbox connected to the TV too, features like VRR and 120hz should still be available, right? It's only that you lose these features if I connect the Xbox directly to a soundbar, right?

2 - I am aware of the (Atmos, DD) audio delay issues a lot of people have with soundbars and XSX, not everyone, because my brother has a Sonos arc and LG C9 and XSX is fine with Atmos and DD.

But if I get a soundbar(rear speakers later) I can just use stereo uncompressed without delay. But once I do add those speakers naturally I want sound coming from that, what would my options be on Xbox in terms of audio formats that cause no delay? Something like 5.1 uncompressed? I don't want to buy a soundbar now only to find out the surrounds/rears won't work.

3 - As for the much older soundbar. I've seen a Philips Fidelio HTL9100 for a very nice price. If I were to get that, it should work fine for my TV and Xbox if I just connect it to the TVs eARC, right? Even though it's from several years ago?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
1-if you keep the xbox hooked up to the TV and just run the soundbar from eARC, all of those features will be available. If you try to run the xbox through the soundbar, your choices are VERY limited for HDMI 2.1 compatible soundbars.

2- OK

3. - Should be fine if you do it that way.

old-parts

The S95B can do DolbyMAT (PCM + Atmos) via eARC which is the lowest latency form of Atmos

The Samsung HW-Q990B is one of rtings best rated Atmos soundbars with read speakers, it has eARC and can do DolbyMAT but it carries a high price tag.

Mister Wolf

As long as you use passthrough in the TV's audio settings you won't have audio delay. I have a Samsung TV paired with a Samsung soundbar.

Stafford

I think the Sony 7000 is the only one with two 1.2 inputs. It can do 120fps but not VRR.

The consoles are here almost three years, it's a shame not way more brands have options available. And those that do still don't offer both VRR and 120hz, what a shame.
The S95B can do DolbyMAT (PCM + Atmos) via eARC which is the lowest latency form of Atmos

The Samsung HW-Q990B is one of rtings best rated Atmos soundbars with read speakers, it has eARC and can do DolbyMAT but it carries a high price tag.

I checked the price, it's around 800 euros here. If I would ever to spend such money it better have it all. But it seems while despite being HDMI 2.1 it doesn't support VRR/120 according to Reddit. I'm absolutely never sacrificing VRR.
As long as you use passthrough in the TV's audio settings you won't have audio delay. I have a Samsung TV paired with a Samsung soundbar.

My HW-Q990B is doing fine with my QN900B QLED.

This sounds great and I hope it will work like that for me too. So you get Atmos and/or DD from your Xbox and no delay?

It's so strange how so many people seem to have issues with XSX and soundbars for Atmos/DD though. I've seen comments on this forum, on Reddit, on Microsoft Answers. I wonder what causes these issues. These issues were about XSX combined with LG, Samsung TVs, Samsung soundbars, but also other brands.

Guess I just gotta buy one and test it for myself.

Mister Wolf

The consoles are here almost three years, it's a shame not way more brands have options available. And those that do still don't offer both VRR and 120hz, what a shame.

I checked the price, it's around 800 euros here. If I would ever to spend such money it better have it all. But it seems while despite being HDMI 2.1 it doesn't support VRR/120 according to Reddit. I'm absolutely never sacrificing VRR.

This sounds great and I hope it will work like that for me too. So you get Atmos and/or DD from your Xbox and no delay?

It's so strange how so many people seem to have issues with XSX and soundbars for Atmos/DD though. I've seen comments on this forum, on Reddit, on Microsoft Answers. I wonder what causes these issues. These issues were about XSX combined with LG, Samsung TVs, Samsung soundbars, but also other brands.

Guess I just gotta buy one and test it for myself.

The majority of them didn't understand you need to use pass-through.

Stafford

The majority of them didn't understand you need to use pass-through.

Pass-through on Xbox and the TV settings, right? I've seen them before. I'll make sure to do that. Some soundbars even have settings menus of their own where it can be enabled too.

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31

And that's with Xbox connected to TV so that you retain VRR/120?

Last edited:

Stafford

And you can set the Xbox to Atmos or DD in the settings and you have no delay or whatsoever? Hmmm, then this particular Soundbar is starting to sound interesting, even though it's way past the amount I wanted to spend on one.

How big of a difference in sound do you notice if you use Atmos/DD compared to something like 5.1 uncompressed? Kinda trying to figure out if Atmos/DD is really worth it for me.

Ulysses 31

And you can set the Xbox to Atmos or DD in the settings and you have no delay or whatsoever? Hmmm, then this particular Soundbar is starting to sound interesting, even though it's way past the amount I wanted to spend on one.

How big of a difference in sound do you notice if you use Atmos/DD compared to something like 5.1 uncompressed? Kinda trying to figure out if Atmos/DD is really worth it for me.
Actually, for fun, I just check again on XSX and there does seem to be a a minor delay in sound with Atmos even with pass through but it's not bothersome IMO.

Stafford

Actually, for fun, I just check again on XSX and there does seem to be a a minor delay in sound with Atmos even with pass through but it's not bothersome IMO.

The other day I connected my Samsung TV to a cheap ass Bluetooth speaker, I bet that must have caused a delay but it was fine for me. Can't imagine a soundbar being worse with that. But I must try it out for myself.

800 bucks though, that's some money. What alternatives are there? I might decide to not go for the Samsung bars I had in mind (Q600b or Q60b from 2022) priced at 200 to 250 bucks.

Ulysses 31

The other day I connected my Samsung TV to a cheap ass Bluetooth speaker, I bet that must have caused a delay but it was fine for me. Can't imagine a soundbar being worse with that. But I must try it out for myself.

800 bucks though, that's some money. What alternatives are there? I might decide to not go for the Samsung bars I had in mind (Q600b or Q60b from 2022) priced at 200 to 250 bucks.
As a Samsung fanboy I only go for their high-end stuff but I also have a Sonos Arc + Sub that's pretty good too.

Stafford

As a Samsung fanboy I only go for their high-end stuff but I also have a Sonos Arc + Sub that's pretty good too.

I ended up with the 990b too. Got a demo today at a store, loved it. They gave me a personal deal of 750 euros and that's with extra service from them too, a deal I could not ignore. It arrives tomorrow. So what I need to do basically is:

Enable passthrough on my S95B TV and on the Xbox. Do I also keep surround sound enabled for the TV? The store guy said that with this soundbar connected to S95B it will have sound coming from both TV and the soundbar, so I assume I keep surround set setting enabled on TV?

Then I set Xbox to Atmos and all should be well? I did that if there's delay you can adjust via app, I honestly hope I don't have to to that, that be nice.

Astray

Gold Member
Stafford Stafford Get yourself an Edifier S350DB or S360DB, depending on your room, it will probably gonna be better than any soundbar.

Even better is to get a cheap dac amp and some good bookshelves and build out a 5.1 system gradually. Don't bother with soundbars.

Ulysses 31

Enable passthrough on my S95B TV and on the Xbox. Do I also keep surround sound enabled for the TV? The store guy said that with this soundbar connected to S95B it will have sound coming from both TV and the soundbar, so I assume I keep surround set setting enabled on TV?
It's a setting called Q-symphony in the sound settings of the TV.

Edit: It's what Samsung calls it, the setting itself is called "TV + Soundbar" or something like that.

Last edited:

Stafford

Stafford Stafford Get yourself an Edifier S350DB or S360DB, depending on your room, it will probably gonna be better than any soundbar.

Even better is to get a cheap dac amp and some good bookshelves and build out a 5.1 system gradually. Don't bother with soundbars.

Too late, got the Samsung now. Besides, I will have sound coming from the front and rear now. With a receiver I would need to add a center speaker too, I don't have any space for that, that's why a Soundbar is ideal here.

It's a setting called Q-symphony in the sound settings of the TV.

I see. I assume that's an option only visible once you connect a Samsung Soundbar with that feature? Because I can't find the feature now.

Astray

Gold Member
Too late, got the Samsung now. Besides, I will have sound coming from the front and rear now. With a receiver I would need to add a center speaker too, I don't have any space for that, that's why a Soundbar is ideal here.
Argh I got there too late, congrats on the new soundbar I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Let me know if you have any issues with config etc, I enjoy troubleshooting that stuff.

Stafford

Well, set it all up. Everything works fine except the right rear speaker, it keeps blinking blue. I tried the ID set thing, nope it's the one speaker that keeps blinking blue.

Mahavastu

I'm searching for a soundbar for my movies and games. I have a Samsung S95B QD-OLED and the sound is alright for a TV but it lacks bass, a lot. I have seen two Samsung soundbars that are on discount now and they also have the option to add two rear speakers. But I might also consider a much older one by Philips. A few questions.
I think I would go with the Samsung Soundbar if the price is not that much higher. I think in connection with your Samsung TV it is somehow using your TV loudspeakers in addition to the sound bar giving you better sound.
This function is called "Q-Symphony"

Stafford

After almost a day of use, a bit of a mixed bag. But that hopefully changes.

I expected more from the surround speakers. I mean when something behind me happens in RDR2, I should hear that in the rear speakers, right? Instead it's only the soundbar that I hear.

Also, the Atmos and DD delay is clearly there and I've tried everything there is to try now. Once I set the Xbox to stereo I hear the difference immediately. It also fucking sucks that according to my Xbox my TV (S95B) can't do 5.1 uncompressed, can't do DTSX, etc) basically only stereo, Atmos and DD. Of which the last two have a significant delay.

The Alien

Banned
I have a Sonos set uo (with surrounds and subwoofer) and works greats with my LG C2 and XSX. Downside of the Sonos is $, I suppose. U could grab the soundbar and buy rest later, etc.

If $ is an issue, I get it. Samsung is decent but I'd steer clear of Philips. Used to work for them. Not recommended (buying from them - or working for them!!!) Lol.

Ulysses 31

After almost a day of use, a bit of a mixed bag. But that hopefully changes.

I expected more from the surround speakers. I mean when something behind me happens in RDR2, I should hear that in the rear speakers, right? Instead it's only the soundbar that I hear.

Also, the Atmos and DD delay is clearly there and I've tried everything there is to try now. Once I set the Xbox to stereo I hear the difference immediately. It also fucking sucks that according to my Xbox my TV (S95B) can't do 5.1 uncompressed, can't do DTSX, etc) basically only stereo, Atmos and DD. Of which the last two have a significant delay.
Almost sounds like it's not setup properly. Have you done some sort of channel test? I know Xbox has one.

And I assume you use passthrough on TV sound settings.

Though I don't have RDR2 on Xbox I have encountered with Resident Evil Revelations that the Xbox version doesn't have surround, only stereo while the Switch and PS4 versions have proper surround. But I do get proper surround in Sekiro Xbox so it's weird.

Last edited:

Stafford

Almost sounds like it's not setup properly. Have you done some sort of channel test? I know Xbox has one.

And I assume you use passthrough on TV sound settings.

Though I don't have RDR2 on Xbox I have encountered with Resident Evil Revelations that the Xbox version doesn't have surround, only stereo while the Switch and PS4 versions have proper surround. But I do get proper surround in Sekiro Xbox so it's weird.

Yep, the Atmos test on Xbox goes fine. It seems it's just RDR2 that sadly doesn't make a lot of use of the surround speakers, a bit, but not nearly as well as Witcher 3 where when a person walks past me I really hear it from the rear speakers. But in Witcher combat sounds aren't very great, whereas this is superb in RDR2.

As for the delay with Atmos, every passthrough option on TV and Xbox is enabled. It's playable but I do notice it. Also another very weird thing is how at random moments I only hear TV sound and a second later I hear both TV and soundbar again.

On the display of the soundbar it says TV eARC and then switches to D.IN, and when this happens I only get TV sound. Is this issue known to you? I don't get why it happens.

Also, what would you say is the best spot for the subwoofer? I was thinking of putting it on a box or table because of how punchy it often is and I don't want to bother my neighbour below too much. But it's not a downfiring sub, so that should help.

I also notice during some movies that the sub is very present even at moments where nothing special is happening, but if I lower the sub level via the app, the bass isn't enough in the scenes you would expect it. I'm new to soundbars and subwoofers in general, maybe this is normal.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yep, the Atmos test on Xbox goes fine. It seems it's just RDR2 that sadly doesn't make a lot of use of the surround speakers, a bit, but not nearly as well as Witcher 3 where when a person walks past me I really hear it from the rear speakers. But in Witcher combat sounds aren't very great, whereas this is superb in RDR2.

As for the delay with Atmos, every passthrough option on TV and Xbox is enabled. It's playable but I do notice it. Also another very weird thing is how at random moments I only hear TV sound and a second later I hear both TV and soundbar again.

On the display of the soundbar it says TV eARC and then switches to D.IN, and when this happens I only get TV sound. Is this issue known to you? I don't get why it happens.
Sounds like you're having this issue:

But I've switched to fiber optic 8K HDMI cables for everything hooked up to my TV a while back and I don't have that issue.

I forgot to mention that I also unchecked passthrough on Xbox since it seemed redundant if it's already enabled on the soundbar and that option was added in the last year for Xbox.
Also, what would you say is the best spot for the subwoofer? I was thinking of putting it on a box or table because of how punchy it often is and I don't want to bother my neighbour below too much. But it's not a downfiring sub, so that should help.

I also notice during some movies that the sub is very present even at moments where nothing special is happening, but if I lower the sub level via the app, the bass isn't enough in the scenes you would expect it. I'm new to soundbars and subwoofers in general, maybe this is normal.
The manual has a recommended speaker layout pic.

Stafford

So it could be a cable matter after all.

Also this very annoying issue (started since I connected the bar to the TV) is that when I switch from HDR game it often loses the signal, then when I check the tv I see it has gone out of game mode again. Every time I set game mode to on, not auto, to avoid possibly handshake issues. But my TV seems to enable auto mode by itself.

ALLM is also off.

Ulysses 31

So it could be a cable matter after all.

Also this very annoying issue (started since I connected the bar to the TV) is that when I switch from HDR game it often loses the signal, then when I check the tv I see it has gone out of game mode again. Every time I set game mode to on, not auto, to avoid possibly handshake issues. But my TV seems to enable auto mode by itself.

ALLM is also off.
Just discovered something interesting with Xbox settings:

I fixed my surround sound issues with Resident Evil Revelations Xbox by setting audio format to auto instead of passthough on the TV and then using passthrough on Xbox. Now my soundbar also shows Dolby Atmos while with passthrough/passthrough it said it was mutli channel PCM when pressing the "i" button on the soundbar remote.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just discovered something interesting with Xbox settings:

I fixed my surround sound issues with Resident Evil Revelations Xbox by setting audio format to auto on the TV and then using passthrough on Xbox. Now my soundbar also shows Dolby Atmos while in other cases it said it was mutli channel PCM.

So pass-through enabled on TV and Xbox after all? Hmmm, I have that. How do you see if your game is running in Atmos? I started up Psychonauts 2 but the display only shows TV eARC.

Also, the issue with no surround sound in RDR2 has been fixed for me. It turns out it's Atmos causing the issues, it doesn't play nice if you want surround sound. I changed to Dolby Digital and I hear all kinds of sounds from the wild behind me now.

Ulysses 31

So pass-through enabled on TV and Xbox after all? Hmmm, I have that. How do you see if your game is running in Atmos? I started up Psychonauts 2 but the display only shows TV eARC.

Also, the issue with no surround sound in RDR2 has been fixed for me. It turns out it's Atmos causing the issues, it doesn't play nice if you want surround sound. I changed to Dolby Digital and I hear all kinds of sounds from the wild behind me now.
Nope, on TV it's auto, on Xbox I enabled passthrough. Pressing that "i" button on the soundbar remote twice will show what kind of surround it currently is.

Sound is also a lot louder now for me.

Last edited:

Stafford

Nope, on TV it's auto, on Xbox I enabled passthrough. Pressing that "i" button on the soundbar remote twice will show what kind of surround it currently is.

Sound is also a lot louder now for me.

Ah man, I get the strangest things with this bar, lol.

So I put digital output audio on TV to auto, hdmi eARC mode I leave at auto too. Pass-through enabled on Xbox.

I actually DO get full surround sound in RDR2 with Atmos now, however it sounds all messed up. People talk with a very weird echo, as if they are standing inside a tunnel. Plus the audio delay is just way too big.

Then I enable passthrough on the TV again, way less delay, but no more surround with Atmos in RDR2. The surround experience sounded so good, but the echo/tinny voices is not good, neither is the delay.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Ah man, I get the strangest things with this bar, lol.

So I put digital output audio on TV to auto, hdmi eARC mode I leave at auto too. Pass-through enabled on Xbox.

I actually DO get full surround sound in RDR2 with Atmos now, however it sounds all messed up. People talk with a very weird echo, as if they are standing inside a tunnel. Plus the audio delay is just way too big.

Then I enable passthrough on the TV again, way less delay, but no more surround with Atmos in RDR2. The surround experience sounded so good, but the echo/tinny voices is not good, neither is the delay.
What about other games? If it's messed up there too I'd try again after fully powering down the Xbox. If that doesn't help then unhook the soundbar from the power grid for 15 min orso and if that does nothing then to re-initialise it.

Last resort would be to hook up the Xbox to the soundbar but then you lose HDMI 2.1 functions and VRR.

Last edited:

Stafford

What about other games? If it's messed up there too I'd try again after fully powering down the Xbox. If that doesn't help then unhook the soundbar from the power grid for 15 min orso and if that does nothing then to re-initialise it.

Last resort would be to hook up the Xbox to the soundbar but then you lose HDMI 2.1 functions and VRR.

After a full power cycle of the Xbox the weird echo is gone when I have digital output setting on TV set to auto. But there is still a very clear delay compared to when I set it to pass-through. Also with pass-through on TV enabled the bass is much better.

It's so odd how with pass-through on TV disabled I have the awesome surround sound in RDR2 (what a difference) but none at all when pass-through is enabled on TV. So I guess for this particular game I gotta go with Dolby Digital then. For all other games so far Atmos seems fine, albeit with a slight delay in audio compared to when set to stereo.

Also, shouldn't Xbox have more audio options available for me? For some reason I don't see DTSX, I don't see 5.1 uncompressed and so on. Even though it says DTSX on the box of my S95B TV.

Ulysses 31

After a full power cycle of the Xbox the weird echo is gone when I have digital output setting on TV set to auto. But there is still a very clear delay compared to when I set it to pass-through. Also with pass-through on TV enabled the bass is much better.

It's so odd how with pass-through on TV disabled I have the awesome surround sound in RDR2 (what a difference) but none at all when pass-through is enabled on TV. So I guess for this particular game I gotta go with Dolby Digital then. For all other games so far Atmos seems fine, albeit with a slight delay in audio compared to when set to stereo.

Also, shouldn't Xbox have more audio options available for me? For some reason I don't see DTSX, I don't see 5.1 uncompressed and so on. Even though it says DTSX on the box of my S95B TV.
To get uncompressed 5.1/7.1 PCM you'd need to hook up directly to the Xbox, not sure about DTSX(think you need to download the app)

Stafford

It's odd and unfortunate how Atmos is just no good in some games, while in others (even if these games don't support Atmos) are fine with it.

Hellblade, Yakuza 0 and RDR2 for example pretty much make no use of the rear channels at all when Xbox is set to Atmos. And the TV uses passthrough too. But when I use Dolby Digital it's a world of difference, I get the full experience, lots of sound coming from the rear channels.

But a game like Dead Island 2, Witcher 3, Psychonauts 2 for example are fine with Atmos, surround sound and everything. It sucks because I just want to stick with one format and be done with it. I do wonder if the sound is any different in non Atmos supported games while using Atmos compared to DD. Might as well stick with DD.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
To get uncompressed 5.1/7.1 PCM you'd need to hook up directly to the Xbox, not sure about DTSX(think you need to download the app)

It's pretty bad that you have to jump through so many hoops and work round so many limitations for surround. Who's to blame?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm using a sonos arc with sub and rear surrounds. Going to upgrade to 300s for the rears around Xmas this year, but I quite like my sonos arc...if that helps.

Top Bottom