• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sounds like TLOU Online will have a co-op story mode

kyliethicc

Druckmann talked about The Last of Us Online multiplayer game
we know its a live game
we know its set in San Francisco with new characters

Neil began, "We've been pretty open that the next Last of Us game is going to be this multiplayer experience ... and a brand new story and cast of characters that live in another city that we haven't seen yet in the world of The Last of Us.

but the way he phrases it here sounds indicative of a co-op story mode. like 2 player PvE

... where you'll be able to enter the world of The Last of Us with your friend ...

notice how in the concept art they've released the people are shown in pairs. like 2 player PvE. would be a logical move for Naughty Dog since both Uncharted and The Last of Us often feature player + AI buddy. like imagine if The Last of Us was co-op with both Joel & Ellie playable together. of course it will (most likely) also have competitive PvP modes, but it seems like this game will be something akin to Destiny or The Division

concept art
2 player co-op story?
UWowcLH.jpg
wDcNKD0.jpg

thoughts?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I liked the co-op story missions in Uncharted 2 (or was it 3?), so a more ambitious version of that would definitely make me more interested in this than if it's purely PVP.

Assumed so, almost all games like this do. I wonder what level of quality/connection will it have to the originals. Regardless I'm there day one.

kyliethicc

I liked the co-op story missions in Uncharted 2 (or was it 3?), so a more ambitious version of that would definitely make me more interested in this than if it's purely PVP.
uncharted had co-op? where?

Looked it up, it was in both 2 and 3. Only the original PS3 versions though, not in the PS4 remasters.

It wasn't the full games or anything, just a bunch of pretty fun missions with some light story.
oh you're talking about the multiplayer. wasn't a real co-op story mode from what I recall

Last edited:

kyliethicc

And just the fact this thing has taken forever lol
wouldn't call like 3 years of development "forever"

Druckmann said last June that this game has been in development for about 2 years
and all 3 of the game's directors worked on TLOU2, which shipped less than 36 months ago

this game isn't the factions mode they were making for TLOU2 that got canned
that was just PvP in TLOU2 maps (we saw leaked footage)

Kokoloko85

Awesome. Literally was hoping for this otherwise not interested in online games. Pretty sure they hinted at this before. Bringing Naughty dogs story telling to an online world.

Im not a PVP kinda guy much. If this is like RDR, GTA, Destiny, set in TLOU world, sweet.

Naughty Dog bringing there story telling talent and combat to an online game will be great

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

wouldn't call like 3 years of development "forever"

Druckmann said last June that this game has been in development for about 2 years
and all 3 of the game's directors worked on TLOU2, which shipped less than 36 months ago

this game isn't the factions mode they were making for TLOU2 that got canned
that was just PvP in TLOU2 maps (we saw leaked footage)

Didnt Factions 2 just get extended into this through development. Didnt hear it get canned. I think this game has been development for longer than 2020, I hope so anyway

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm probably in the minority but I'm still hoping this has offline play with the AI

That's the only way I would buy this game

Last edited:

Lupin25

I thought this was guaranteed.

They couldn’t have just been working on the online portion for the past couple of years.

A free cinematic, narrative-driven co-op adventure w/friends on the same level of technical expertise as TLOU2 sounds fun as hell.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Looked it up, it was in both 2 and 3. Only the original PS3 versions though, not in the PS4 remasters.

It wasn't the full games or anything, just a bunch of pretty fun missions with some light story.
Uncharted 4 also has co-op, although only as Survival mode.

Loved the U2 and U3 implementations at the time, this should be an obviously improved version of those. Would prefer single player by a country mile, but better than nothing I guess.

kyliethicc

I thought this was guaranteed.

They couldn’t have just been working on the online portion for the past couple of years.

A free cinematic, narrative-driven co-op adventure w/friends on the same level of technical expertise as TLOU2 sounds fun as hell.
highly doubt it will be fully free to play

think like Destiny and CoD

yes they have free to play aspects, but to get the full thing you gotta pay

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you want as new etc? Theres only so much you can do. Story telling, good combat, a living world.
I need some ideas

A AAA version of this would be ideal...

I'd also be happy with a Tarkov or Battle Royale that pushed both of those genres forward. Higher stakes, more complex objectives, more complex PvP interactions etc...

Too many co op games get stale after you learn the AI patterns + weaknesses after 20 or 30 hours.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I figured it would. This is how they're going to introduce new characters and their own story's within the Last of us world. Even people who have already died in the main game like Abby's friend can have their own story in Factions.

Elios83

Makes sense, story telling is in their DNA, they're not going to make just a competitive shooter.
It would be great if it was a game that can be appreciated both by a multiplayer and a single player crowd.

Kupfer

A AAA version of this would be ideal...

I'd also be happy with a Tarkov or Battle Royale that pushed both of those genres forward. Higher stakes, more complex objectives, more complex PvP interactions etc...

Too many co op games get stale after you learn the AI patterns + weaknesses after 20 or 30 hours.

I hope for a hardcore experience like early (Mod) DayZ with a polishing like The Division.
No bullet sponge enemies, no numbers inicating damage, intense player interactions, realistic gunplay.
I remember times when some of us were out in DayZ and when we were looting, there was a clear distribution of roles. A marksman to keep an eye on the area, looters to collect all the stuff and someone who has the silenced and higher gear weapons to protect the looters.
Later even pilots for scouting and drivers for fast in and out.
You thought twice about firing a loud shot because you could never be sure if there wasn't another group of players one village away who would come and attack.

sainraja

uncharted had co-op? where?
Online Co-op — Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4.

oh you're talking about the multiplayer. wasn't a real co-op story mode from what I recall
It is still co-op.

Uncharted 4 (PS4) has co-op modes.

Last edited:
I can imagine the set-pieces (while you’re playing the game) like you’re n a hideout and a bomb goes off and you have your co-op partners have to fight your way out of the wreckage against another faction and infected swarming you.

I want stuff like that or the seraphites island battle, but in multiplayer

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I hope for a hardcore experience like early (Mod) DayZ with a polishing like The Division.
No bullet sponge enemies, no numbers inicating damage, intense player interactions, realistic gunplay.
I remember times when some of us were out in DayZ and when we were looting, there was a clear distribution of roles. A marksman to keep an eye on the area, looters to collect all the stuff and someone who has the silenced and higher gear weapons to protect the looters.
Later even pilots for scouting and drivers for fast in and out.
You thought twice about firing a loud shot because you could never be sure if there wasn't another group of players one village away who would come and attack.

Agreed 100%

One thing I can't stand about most modern multiplayer games these days (Warzone 2.0, The Division etc) is the sense of scale. Every time you see an enemy, they're either at close or mid ranges. DayZ does an awesome job at creating a more realistic battlefield where you can see people at extremely long distances and players aren't an immediate threat to one another.

I'm hoping that becomes the norm as we ditch those old CPUs on the XBO and PS4.

Kupfer

Agreed 100%

One thing I can't stand about most modern multiplayer games these days (Warzone 2.0, The Division etc) is the sense of scale. Every time you see an enemy, they're either at close or mid ranges. DayZ does an awesome job at creating a more realistic battlefield where you can see people at extremely long distances and players aren't an immediate threat to one another.

I'm hoping that becomes the norm as we ditch those old CPUs on the XBO and PS4.
The really best thing DayZ made (and I know it has many flaws, but this is something special, sadly) is, that there are no skills or perks you just click and activate.
Everything is there from the beginning, the only barrier there is the player and his knowledge about how to make things work.
This can also be applied to combat, how to take advantage of the environment, how to cover which directions where, communication between players, laying false trails, being patient, playing off the opponent on a tactical level.
Rarely can you achieve more with "gamesense" in other games than you can here. If you know how, you can take on any high gear player with an SKS for example.

This scale of skills the player has to learn is completely missing in modern "tactical" shooters due to "skills" you just activate and have no longer to think about it.

If tlou factions manages to offer a similar experience, where you as a player learn about the world and how things work, and not just the character is taught by a magic button press, then that would be really special.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The really best thing DayZ made (and I know it has many flaws, but this is something special, sadly) is, that there are no skills or perks you just click and activate.
Everything is there from the beginning, the only barrier there is the player and his knowledge about how to make things work.
This can also be applied to combat, how to take advantage of the environment, how to cover which directions where, communication between players, laying false trails, being patient, playing off the opponent on a tactical level.
Rarely can you achieve more with "gamesense" in other games than you can here. If you know how, you can take on any high gear player with an SKS for example.

This scale of skills the player has to learn is completely missing in modern "tactical" shooters due to "skills" you just activate and have no longer to think about it.

If tlou factions manages to offer a similar experience, where you as a player learn about the world and how things work, and not just the character is taught by a magic button press, then that would be really special.

Is there a NeoGAF marriage feature? I love you and I don't care who knows it.

kyliethicc

Online Co-op — Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4.

It is still co-op.

Uncharted 4 (PS4) has co-op modes.
co-op PvE but still just arena based. survival waves etc

Not an actual co-op story mode. There was no new story being told in the U2/3/4 multiplayer lol. The entire point of this thread is that TLOU Online has the potential to be Naughty Dog's first co-op story game. A full story with presentation comparble to the Ellie singleplayer games but meant to be played with a friend. It'd be like if a CoD campaign could be played by 2 players together. Instead of the usual CoD co-op spec ops / zombies.

Top Bottom