• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source: Stadia turned down an exclusive Death Stranding follow-up from Kojima

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Before Google closed down the division in 2021, Stadia Games and Entertainment turned down the opportunity to have an exclusive follow-up to Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding.

A source has told 9to5Google that the game Kojima was working on was meant to be a Stadia-exclusive follow-up to Death Stranding, a game which initially launched as a PlayStation exclusive in 2019. Where the original Death Stranding was an asynchronous multiplayer game — where actions taken in your world can have an effect on other players, such as building signs to help others find their way — the proposed game would be strictly a single-player experience.

In fact, our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia’s collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences. Reportedly, the game had gotten initial approval from Google and had begun the early stages of development. However, shortly after the first mockups were shown in mid 2020, Google scrapped the project entirely.

Between this, and reportedly turning down the first version of the cloud/Overdose game .. Stadia REALLY didn't want to work with Kojima lol

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This Is Why You Fail Star Wars GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I find it more alarming that Kojima is willing to sell out to a garbage platform like Stadia with an abysmal userbase. I thought the guy had some standards.

Honestly, if you've seen the way he talks, he's always wanted to make a different kind of thing. Stadia and the cloud infra would probably allow him to make that.

That being said, we have no idea how good it would have turned out, but holy shit imagine a platform holder turning down a big name like Kojima lol.

Phil must have jumped on it as soon as he got wind that Kojima was looking to partner up with someone for his wacky project.

Sony doesn’t own the IP?

It could have been a spiritual follow up under a different name. Not necessarily a Death Stranding 2.

Last edited:
Weird, but wtf were Sony and MS doing letting Kojima shop DS around like that? Snatch that up asap. Didnt Herman go to award shows with kojima after DS? Why not greenlight DS2 right away? We wouldve gotten a sequel either by now or by next year.
Kojima probably thought he would get more money from Stadia since they were new in the space and probably desperate for a big exclusive game.

Nankatsu

The sequel was about Norman Redus trying to deliver multiple Stadias in order to built a solid gaming ecosystem for Google.

Death Stranding Thumbs Up GIF by PlayStationDE

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Maybe the people Google Stadia knew Stadia had impending doom and didnt want Kojima do all that work for nothing lol

Puscifer

Weird, but wtf were Sony and MS doing letting Kojima shop DS around like that? Snatch that up asap. Didnt Herman go to award shows with kojima after DS? Why not greenlight DS2 right away? We wouldve gotten a sequel either by now or by next year.
It's a third party company which by his own admission was to give him more creative freedom. I have zero clue why people think he's married to Sony, if that was the case KJP would've been a first party studio this shouldn't be shocking to anyone yet it constantly is.

VN1X

Banned
I mean to be fair... I doubt Death Stranding 2 would've moved units or increased subscriptions lol. It's an amazing game but not exactly one with mass appeal is it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He should have offered it to Amazon as virtual training for their employees. Could probably save money onboarding all their expendable slaves.

MiguelItUp

Maybe they knew it wouldn't be worth the advancement because of Stadia's "success" or lack thereof.

I saw a number of devs state that they had their game projected to release on Stadia within the next couple of months, and then this happened. They didn't get a heads up, or anything. That's insane to me, lol.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

How many times do these companies have to learn that the player base and enthusiasm is huge for single player games?

Its so insane. Not only does it not make intuitive sense but also business sense. It's been seen over and over again this and last gen since this ridiculous sentiment took hold. Gow, horizon, elden ring, zeldas, marios, ass greeds, forza, etc.

Years of evidence that they ignore

The whole situation with Kojima is weird

It’s been 3 years since DS

We should be getting a game from them in the next year or two

But all we have is radio silence

johnjohn

Don't you mean Sonys since its Death Stranding?
Sony owns the Death Stranding IP, this is talking about his game after Death Stranding.

The whole situation with Kojima is weird

It’s been 3 years since DS

We should be getting a game from them in the next year or two

But all we have is radio silence
I wouldn't call it radio silence, he just announced his partnership with Xbox.

Last edited:
Sony owns the Death Stranding IP, this is talking about his game after Death Stranding.

I wouldn't call it radio silence, he just announced his partnership with Xbox.

That’s pretty much radio silence

He should have a big AAA game well into production with something to show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom