• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina veteran uses butt of his shotgun to kill home intruder who attacked his wife

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Vietnam vet Herbert Parrish, 82, pummeled home invader who had slashed his wife with a knife

A South Carolina armed home invader who attacked a 79-year-old woman near her back door is dead after the victim’s 82-year-old Vietnam War veteran husband beat him down with the butt end of a shotgun earlier this week, according to local authorities.

Herbert Parrish snatched the firearm off a wall mount after the suspect, identified as 61-year-old Harold Runnels, broke into the home with a knife, knocked his wife to the ground and slashed her forehead Monday afternoon, Columbia, S.C.-based FOX 57 reported.

He lived in a nearby mobile home community, according to WJBF-TV, and approached by knocking on the back door and asking if the couple had seen a missing dog.

COUPLE-cropped-1152p.jpg

A South Carolina armed home invader who attacked a 79-year-old woman near her back door is dead after the victim’s 82-year-old Vietnam War veteran husband beat him down with the butt end of a shotgun earlier this week. (WACH-TV)

Runnels later died at a hospital due to injuries suffered in the scuffle, according to authorities.

Aiken County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Eric Abdullah, a department spokesman, said residents should call 911 immediately if they suspect their home is being broken into.

"Of course, folks have the right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger, but the best thing to do is to call for help," he told the Aiken Standard newspaper. "Every situation is going to be different. It may be a similar crime in nature, but every situation is going to be different. There’s no way to accurately predict exactly what actions that any person should take if somebody is trying to invade their home. The best recourse is to think smartly and get help on the way."

The Parrishes were not being charged. They were both treated for minor injuries but were expected to be OK.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"died at a hospital due to injuries suffered in the scuffle"
I feel like an incident where someone gets slashed with a knife and then the knife wielding attacker gets beaten to death with a shotgun butt deserves more than a description of a 'scuffle'.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I love how the sheriff says the best thing to do is call for help. How long would it have taken for a deputy to arrive at their home? Ten minutes? Maybe more. Good on this guy thinking on his feet and taking down the home invader.
That sheriff sounds like an idiot. On one hand he says the best thing to do is call for help, then in the next breath he says every situation is different.

....so you're telling me no matter how different every situation is, the best thing to do is still to call for help? FOH with that nonsense. The man slashed his wife with a knife. Call for help?? They'd be dead.

I mean, if you go into a guy's home uninvited with a knife, getting the butt end of a shotgun is the least you should expect. seems like it's some issue that's because he lost his dog or something? it sucks that the situation turns to this since I suspect it's probably something small that got escalated, but it is what it is. and I hope the vet and his wife won't get any problems from the dead man's relatives or something.

fuck yes! glad they are both safe. you know that dudes gonna get a gummer tonight :messenger_tears_of_joy:

took me a second to realize what a "gummer" is, and I'm probably going to hell for laughing at this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ownage

That sheriff sounds like an idiot. On one hand he says the best thing to do is call for help, then in the next breath he says every situation is different.

....so you're telling me no matter how different every situation is, the best thing to do is still to call for help? FOH with that nonsense. The man slashed his wife with a knife. Call for help?? They'd be dead.
Sheriff self promo but then says he can't condone it but he understands. Behind closed doors that Sheriff's Department is buying the old vet some Zaxby's as a thank you.

Mistake

"Of course, folks have the right to defend themselves if their lives are in danger, but the best thing to do is to call for help," he told the Aiken Standard newspaper.

"Hello, 911, what's your emergency?"
-Yeah, my wife is being slashed in the head with a knife
"Can you describe the assailant?" (HELP! HELP!)
-Honey! I'm on the phone! Sorry, could you repeat that?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

The police HAVE to say that publicly.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The police HAVE to say that publicly.
“Best thing to do is call for help” translates from PR to real life as “It’s my job to not encourage people to fight knife wielding people, some idiot will get himself stabbed and that’s more work for everyone.”

“But every situation is different” actually means “But this was not one of those times! Dude fucked him up quicker than picking up the phone and dialling 3 digits, muhfucka picked the wrong house and I need to shake his hand.”

Vestal

Gold Member
Hopefully he doesn’t get charged with any bullshit. This is a clear case of self-defense/severe emotional distress.

epicnemesis

I guess it’s slightly better than being beaten to death with the dick of a shotgun.

Personally I think it would be less painful to get a shotgun facial.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Much respect. Someone needs to get this man this shirt ASAP:

jnxeRYB.jpg
Practice that spiritual fitness, folks.
Are shotgun's butts deadlier than a regular stick? How do you exactly kill/knock out someone with it?
Yes, most modern shotguns weigh anywhere from 6-8lbs, some older ones even heavier. Steel and wood/composite bludgeoning someone would do some serious damage.

Last edited:
Are shotgun's butts deadlier than a regular stick? How do you exactly kill/knock out someone with it?
Heavy and very solid as well as leverage from both arms and body weight. You are getting a broken something with even a mild swing of a shotgun butt. You're not getting back up, this isn't the movies where they just walk it off and especially if you're hit in the temple or lower mid back of your head.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I love how the sheriff says the best thing to do is call for help. How long would it have taken for a deputy to arrive at their home? Ten minutes? Maybe more. Good on this guy thinking on his feet and taking down the home invader.
Obligatory mention that the vast majority of the world has no problem calling the police without constantly thinking about beating another person to death.

GymWolf

Obligatory mention that the vast majority of the world has no problem calling the police without constantly thinking about beating another person to death.
Vast majority of the world who call the police doesn't have the thief already in their home slashing their wives.

Top Bottom