• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Channel 5 And Comix Zone are being turned into movies

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a statement published on Friday, the Japanese games giant confirmed it’s partnered with production company Picturestart to develop film adaptations of the two 1990s games.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Space Channel 5 “takes a comedy/dance view” of the 1999 game, and will tell the story of “a hapless fast-food worker who is recruited by a freedom reporter from the future to save the world from aliens using the one thing that unites all people on the planet: our love of silly viral dances.”

Meanwhile, Comix Zone “follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color who, when sucked into the final issue of his popular series, must put aside their differences to stop a dangerous supervillain from sowing complete destruction.”

Zone will reportedly be written by Mae Catt, whose credits include animated DC series Young Justice, and Dragons: The Nine Realm.

Space Channel 5 is being written by Barry Battles and Nir Paniry. Battles wrote and directed 2012 Billy Bob Thornton crime comedy The Baytown Outlaws, and Paniry wrote and directed Extracted, a sci-fi drama.

Sega’s Toru Nakahara, producer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, will reportedly produce the two adaptations.

Takumi Yoshinaga, the writer and game design director for the Space Channel 5 games, will reportedly be involved in the movie adaptation. Sega producer Kagasei Shimomura will join the team for Zone.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

"Comix Zone “follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color"

Why do they have to add these silly political elements? Why does it require a character who is of colour and is gay? Just follow the source material if you're going to do it or just leave it alone. It wasn't there originally and it doesn't need it now. Sketch and Roadkill get sucked into a comic book. They fight the bad guys and save the girl at the end (I forget her name). Another video game adaptation ruined. Well done dumbies.

Comic Zone should be good, it has a good writer. Space channel 5 will probably suck.

I really hope Sega makes a Panzer Dragoon series or movie. It would be epic.

And just like with the 2 Sonic movies, they are not going to create any new related games because... SEGAAAAA!

So, what's next? Nights? Out Run? Quashot? Astal? Burning Rangers? Ristal? Shinobi? Golden Axe? Virtua Fighter? 🤡🙃😤

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Comix Zone needs to be a hard R.

Edit:
Comix Zone “follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color who, when sucked into the final issue of his popular series, must put aside their differences to stop a dangerous supervillain from sowing complete destruction.”

This is a fake movie from Back to the Future about how fucked up the future movies will get.

Last edited:

Soltype

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Space Channel 5 “takes a comedy/dance view” of the 1999 game, and will tell the story of “a hapless fast-food worker who is recruited by a freedom reporter from the future to save the world from aliens using the one thing that unites all people on the planet: our love of silly viral dances.”
They should have Morolians behind TikTok in movie.

Last edited:

Deerock71

She's 59 (not sure what her age has to do with anything) and yeah it is
I'm 51, and I doubt I'd touch her with a 100 foot pole at this point.[/SHRUGS]*

*I know you mentioned suing Sega like she did in the past, but Ulala wasn't an AARP member.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Little know fact, there was already a TV show version of The Ooze for years on CNN, that just ended its run today.

Love Space Channel 5. Just wish the games were more widely available on current consoles.

A movie could be fun I suppose. Make it like a giant budget Speed Racer style movie, but a musical.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I love Space Channel 5, but part of its appeal is that it's gloriously dumb. I don't know that it will translate.

Last edited:
"Comix Zone “follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color"

Why do they have to add these silly political elements? Why does it require a character who is of colour and is gay? Just follow the source material if you're going to do it or just leave it alone. It wasn't there originally and it doesn't need it now. Sketch and Roadkill get sucked into a comic book. They fight the bad guys and save the girl at the end (I forget her name). Another video game adaptation ruined. Well done dumbies.
To be fair it's not a bad thing if it doesn't affect the story and just having a minority in it isn't going to ruin the script or change the overall storyline (unless the writers end up focusing too much on it just to pander) when we haven't even got a trailer (though I do think it's definetely a marketing choice to win brownie points from woke news sites)

Top Bottom