• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Marine 2 Developer Saber Interactive Explains How World War Z Engine Helps Make The Game More Epic

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As Space Marine 2's recent gameplay trailers have shown, the game's battle sequences feature hundreds upon hundreds of active combatants running around all at once. According to Hollis-Leick's new PC Gamer interview, the game is supposed to be "bigger than its genre brethren, and bigger than its predecessor." The reason this is possible, specifically, lies in one of Saber Interactive's previous productions: World War Z. "We have our own proprietary engine at Saber which allowed us to do things in World War Z that you couldn't get from any other engine," explained Hollis-Leick. The software makes it possible for a game to simultaneously show hundreds of interactive enemies without an apparent reduction in visual fidelity, a crucial aspect of why Space Marine 2 looks as epic and grand as it does.

As Space Marine 2's recent gameplay trailers have shown, the game's battle sequences feature hundreds upon hundreds of active combatants running around all at once. According to Hollis-Leick's new PC Gamer interview, the game is supposed to be "bigger than its genre brethren, and bigger than its predecessor." The reason this is possible, specifically, lies in one of Saber Interactive's previous productions: World War Z. "We have our own proprietary engine at Saber which allowed us to do things in World War Z that you couldn't get from any other engine," explained Hollis-Leick. The software makes it possible for a game to simultaneously show hundreds of interactive enemies without an apparent reduction in visual fidelity, a crucial aspect of why Space Marine 2 looks as epic and grand as it does.
DF has been praising the technology used here. I think SM2 could turn out pretty damn good.

nemiroff

Gold Member
For some reason this is not mentioned in the article but they're using the Swarm engine which btw is also used in Snowrunner.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
spacemarine-spacemarine2.gif

Can't wait to purge Xenos scum. For the Emperor!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Really looking forward to this game. Looks fantastic of what little we've seen so far.

simpatico

Gold Member
I think it's best to keep it simple. Less is more with this title and developer combo. Just give me 20 hours of razor sharp set pieces are purging. Don't overthink it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom