• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX will try to launch most powerful rocket ever Monday

chromhound

Steve Carell Ugh GIF by Space Force

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So, just out of curiosity, is anyone keeping track of the CO2 this test blew into the atmosphere? Are there any rules of CO2 offset in place for stuff like this?

I dont get to have shopping bags anymore and have to drink cocktails from paper straws to save the planet - so this seems super counterproductive XD

Esca

So, just out of curiosity, is anyone keeping track of the CO2 this test blew into the atmosphere? Are there any rules of CO2 offset in place for stuff like this?

I dont get to have shopping bags anymore and have to drink cocktails from paper straws to save the planet - so this seems super counterproductive XD
It's actually very minimal. They use a a type of liquid methane ful that isn't much different from natural gas from my understanding and it burns more efficiently thus releasing a lot less emissions into the atmosphere than other types of fuels in use. I remember reading that even if we had like 5000 rocket launches a year that it would still be under 1% of the emissions release worldwide each year

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's actually very minimal. They use a a type of liquid methane ful that isn't much different from natural gas from my understanding and it burns more efficiently thus releasing a lot less emissions into the atmosphere than other types of fuels in use. I remember reading that even if we had like 5000 rocket launches a year that it would still be under 1% of the emissions release worldwide each year
Given the massive amount of ww CO2 output, only 5000 rockets a year being close to 1% is kind of a massive impact per rocket.

Bragr

Banned

But things like paper straws and shopping bags mean nothing. It's easily replaceable to reduce some plastic use. Trying to explore space gets some priority.

sono

Gold Member
The launch was awesome to see after all this time.

I thought the flip was supposed to be after separation not before though

It was frustrating it couldn't separate seems like that would be easy bit after the hard part of getting that monster into the air .

NickFire

But things like paper straws and shopping bags mean nothing. It's easily replaceable to reduce some plastic use. Trying to explore space gets some priority.
You are both right IMO, with one horrible exception on your side. 5000 of one thing casing 1% feels really high. But that's just an observation. I still think its worth the cost like you suggested.

As for the horrible exception on your side, I am kicking dirt at you in my head for suggesting plastic straws are easily replaceable. Paper straws are garbage. I hate everything about soggy ass paper straws. :messenger_poop:

Bragr

Banned
You are both right IMO, with one horrible exception on your side. 5000 of one thing casing 1% feels really high. But that's just an observation. I still think its worth the cost like you suggested.

As for the horrible exception on your side, I am kicking dirt at you in my head for suggesting plastic straws are easily replaceable. Paper straws are garbage. I hate everything about soggy ass paper straws. :messenger_poop:
True, fuck paper straws.

DKehoe

Pity it didn't go to plan but from what I've read they're ok with explosions because they learn from them? Still, must be a kick in the balls to see all that work go up in flames.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Pity it didn't go to plan but from what I've read they're ok with explosions because they learn from them? Still, must be a kick in the balls to see all that work go up in flames.

I remember when SpaceX was first getting started their various test launches played like a blooper reel. Then about a year and a half passed and they were consistent experts at putting people and satellites into orbit. Their engineers and designers learn quickly.

Amazing - this is the type of stuff to witness that give me hope for humanity. We’re still explorers, problem solvers after all. Hopefully I’m still alive to witness these space trips become commercial

MrMephistoX

Amazing - this is the type of stuff to witness that give me hope for humanity. We’re still explorers, problem solvers after all. Hopefully I’m still alive to witness these space trips become commercial
Now that I’m almost 40 I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we’re not getting out of the solar system in my lifetime but it would be awesome if regular inter planetary travel becomes a thing in the next 50 years or so that I’ve got left :)

Irobot82

It actually did go to plan. Did you even watch the live stream, their stated goal of this test was lift off. Everything else was a bonus.

Now that I’m almost 40 I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we’re not getting out of the solar system in my lifetime but it would be awesome if regular inter planetary travel becomes a thing in the next 50 years or so that I’ve got left :)
Biological immortality has a pretty decent chance of being solved within our expected natural lifetimes. It's still a long shot but we might still see interstellar travel if we can manage to survive long enough for them to literally cure death.

DKehoe

It actually did go to plan. Did you even watch the live stream, their stated goal of this test was lift off. Everything else was a bonus.

No, I didn’t watch it live since I was busy at the time. I get that the takeoff was the main thing. I just meant “to plan” as in everything going perfectly. I can’t imagine the rocket blowing up was part of the plan.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
My toddler son and I were watching this marvel of modern engineering launch, and when the Falcon started to tumble, he looked at me and said 'uh oh'.

No doubt they got some super valuable data out of it, and the original objective was just to launch and clear the tower - everything past that was pure gravy, including, as coined by one of the SpaceX staff, the spontaneous unplanned disassembly

And people think Musk will get people safely to Mars.
If not Musk/SpaceX then who else? NASA yeah probably at some point but they go so slow. It's not a bad thing. SLS didn't blow up and got to the moon.

Musk might be an idiot but I have respect for him and SpaceX for what they are doing. A lot of things went wrong with Starship but they'll learn from it and try again.

It wasn't that long ago they were blowing up Falcons, flying hopper, and couldn't land Starship (not with the booster). The progress they've made is insane and nobody can compete with them except NASA.

"rapid unscheduled disassembly" is my new favorite phrase for explosion
It's from Kerbal Space Program. This launch was like something right out of it I've had rockets go out of control like this in game but mostly because I suck at it.

Last edited:
This test was a success the moment it passed the launch tower, that's all they were really having as goals. The narrator from SpaceX even stated as much, anything past that point was icing on the test cake. They weren't expecting a 100% launch and return test, iterations and all.

Love most of what he does. The electric semi truck is eh, hyperloop will never happen. cybertruck I have my doubts
cybertruck is being produced right now and the semi truck is pretty awesome for a pre-release testing vehicle. Hyperloop don't give a fuck about but the vegas loop for CES has been incredible so far.

E-Cat

cybertruck is being produced right now and the semi truck is pretty awesome for a pre-release testing vehicle. Hyperloop don't give a fuck about but the vegas loop for CES has been incredible so far.
Semi is not pre-release, either. It is already in production at the Nevada Gigafactory.

Alebrije

Does SpaceX gets goverment funds to operate? Or is juts Elon's money?
Just wonder how each fail cost...yep its a long road and you learn from every fail like Edison, Tesla, etc..but just wonder if Elon's pockets can hold this "adventure"

sono

Gold Member
It was spectacular
This test was a success the moment it passed the launch tower, that's all they were really having as goals. The narrator from SpaceX even stated as much, anything past that point was icing on the test cake.
Yes but.. if that was the goal why have a fully functional top stage that amazing piece of engineering with its 6 engines and systems heat shield etc never got tested in any way at all. Just blown up.manually

sono

Gold Member
I am concerned for them they lost at least 6 engines in 30 second flight. They have 33 those things need to be ultra reliable. They obviously do not get anywhere near the reliability requirements

Ironbunny

The replys to this test fly are weird. It was a test fly. Their main goal was to have it lift of. Anything beyond that was a plus.

TheCed

I am concerned for them they lost at least 6 engines in 30 second flight. They have 33 those things need to be ultra reliable. They obviously do not get anywhere near the reliability requirements
If you look at the Crater that was left at the base, it's safe to assume that debris hit the rocket before lift off.

They need to figure this out. I don't think the Rocket is at fault but the base is.

If you look at the Crater that was left at the base, it's safe to assume that debris hit the rocket before lift off.

They need to figure this out. I don't think the Rocket is at fault but the base is.
This was also a test of the launch pad as well. They weren't sure if they needed to build flame channels and other stuff under the rocket to move 33 engines worth of fire away from the pad, now we're all pretty sure they will.

It was spectacular

Yes but.. if that was the goal why have a fully functional top stage that amazing piece of engineering with its 6 engines and systems heat shield etc never got tested in any way at all. Just blown up.manually

Sure they'd like to reuse and get a full run, they have to practice and iterate the whole process. It wasn't the goal here though and previous tests do have partial tests only or purposefully missing hardware etc.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The engine outs explain why they’re so asymmetrically lit up in those shots below. I didn’t know if that was by design or not. Sounds like the whole pad situation needs a big update.

Top Bottom