• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
iKswCknJB2AmC.jpg

Spartacus: War Of The Damned is back for a final season to conclude the story on Starz. The ten episode season will air on Friday nights starting January 25th. Note that there are a few off weeks on the schedule for holidays.
Starz said:
Gaius Claudius Glaber is dead. Many months have passed since his defeat, and the rebel army, led by Spartacus and his generals Crixus, Gannicus and Agron, continue to amass victories over Rome. With the rebel numbers swelling to thousands of freed slaves, it has become a force that has started to challenge even the mighty armies of Rome.

Spartacus is more determined than ever to bring down the entire Roman Republic. Following the death of Ashur, Naevia and Crixus fight as one with newfound strength and determination. And Gannicus, always seeking to embrace life to the fullest, shares his bed with the beautiful and dangerous Saxa.

Together, the rebels engage in one bloody skirmish after another and prepare for the inevitable: a full out war with Rome.

The Roman Senate turns to its wealthiest citizen, Marcus Crassus, for aid. A powerful, strategic politician, he respects his opponent and refuses to make the same mistakes Glaber and his predecessors have. With a young and fiercely competitive Julius Caesar as an ally, Crassus is determined to crush Spartacus and his rebellion.

The epic conclusion of a legendary journey, Spartacus: War of the Damned will unleash a battle unlike anything ever seen before.

Links:

Cast: (click to enlarge)
SPARTACUS played by Liam McIntyre; CRIXUS played by Manu Bennett; GANNICUS played by Dustin Clare; AGRON played by Dan Feuerriegel

CRASSUS played by Simon Merrells; CAESAR played by Todd Lasance; TIBERIUS played by Christian Antidormi; NAEVIA played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson

NASIR played by Pana Hema-Taylor; SAXA played by Ellen Hollman; SIBYL played by Gwendoline Taylor; KORE played by Jenna Lind

LAETA played by Anna Hutchison; NEMETES played by Ditch Davey; LUGO played by Barry Duffield

Videos: (youtube unless otherwise noted)

Promotional Photos: (click to enlarge)

Schedule:
  • Ep 301 - Enemies of Rome - Jan 25th
  • Ep 302 - Wolves at the Gate - Feb 1st
  • Ep 303 - Men of Honor - Feb 8th
  • Ep 304 - Decimation - Feb 22nd
  • Ep 305 - Blood Brothers - Mar 1st
  • Ep 306 - Spoils of War - Mar 8th
  • Ep 307 - Mors Indecepta - Mar 15th
  • Ep 308 - Separate Paths - Mar 22nd
  • Ep 309 - The Dead and the Dying - Apr 5th
  • Ep 310 - Victory - Apr 12th
Season Premiere
Ep 301 - Enemies Of Rome

'Enemies Of Rome' Spartacus continues to assemble a formidable army and outwit Romes best commanders. Desperate, the powers of the Empire are forced to turn to wealthy, ambitious Marcus Crassus to aid the campaign.
jbcKmLS2qVYtlo.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
I loved season one and the prequel.

Watched 1.5 episodes of season two but couldn't get past Andy being replaced by a dude so scrawny I wouldn't trust him to carry groceries let alone lead men into battle.

Maybe ill bite the bullet and cringe my way through his season 2 scenes to get to the new season.

Scarecrow

Oh, hey! They're wearing clothes and armor this time instead of rags.

This is going to be good. Glad it's getting an ending.

Watevaman

Not sure if I'll watch this. Loved season one, pretty much skipped the prequel and watched all of season two. I don't know if it was the buildup in the first season or Andy's presence, but I really didn't like any particular parts of season two.

-Mikey-

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. I'm glad they decided to give it a planned ending instead of dragging it out.

aku:jiki

Mein bodi is roddy. I'm still not over Andy and new Naevia sucks too, but at least I have Crixus, Agron and Gannicus.

Andy was awesome : (

The new actor is ok I guess. Took a few episodes to warm up to him.

No Ashur and Doctore : (

Still will watch. One of my fav series

Sulla1980

I'm ready!

I had abandoned season 1 after a rocky start, but I am glad that the show back up.

It took awhile to adjust to Liam McIntyre as Spartacus, but I think that I am ready to enjoy the show now, and not just complain that I miss Andy Whitfield, who did such a good job.

Cant wait to see if they can top the "face slice", cant wait to watch it, the previous seasons have been a blast, some of the best TV in the last 5 years.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Fell in love with Season 1 (most epic finale of any television show I have ever seen). Enjoyed the prequel series. And enjoyed Season 2. I was hurt by what happened to Andy and missed him dearly in Season 2 but unlike most of the people on this board I thought Season 2 was a decent season. It didn't quite hit the heights of Season 1 but the Season 2 finale was awesome. I can't wait for the final season. It's kind of a gift and a curse they're ending it so early. A gift because it compresses the story down and we'll likely see zero filler. A curse because I honestly would have gladly watched another two or three seasons of this.

Then again the Spartacus story is finite. I knew from the Season 2 finale that there wouldn't be many episodes left. All you have to do is read about the Spartacus story (warning: major spoilers) to see there's not much more historical record left for them to derive from. Still though; some of the best television I have ever watched. I'm really pumped for the new season. I have a feeling there's going to be this void when it ends. Here's hoping Starz produces some kind of spin-off again. They managed an entire prequel series without Spartacus as a character and there are rumours that they have something involving Julius Ceasar planned so perhaps this season isn't truly the end.

Even so can't wait for the premiere. Four more days.

Monocle

I genuinely forgot this was coming out this month. Season 2 sort of killed my enthusiasm for Spartacus with Andy's absence, the deaths of my favorite characters, and a number of other issues. Despite a couple of promising episodes and several standout moments, the show lost a lot of momentum and most of its soul.

I'll still watch War of the Damned to see what the newcomers are like, but this season has some serious challenges. For one thing, there's a massive talent vacuum to fill considering the departures of so many strong cast members. Another issue is the increased scale. Generally, the more intimate this series is, the better. It's a brilliant character drama that has become encumbered by a listless historical narrative.

Not sure if I'll watch this. Loved season one, pretty much skipped the prequel and watched all of season two. I don't know if it was the buildup in the first season or Andy's presence, but I really didn't like any particular parts of season two.
Watch the prequel, it's outstanding.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Still cant believe
Fucking Naevia killed the greatness that was Ashur!

When that happened I thought "good, eff that guy." Then it sank in that he wouldn't be on the show anymore and I was more than a little upset. What a well written character.

Monocle

Still cant believe
Fucking Naevia killed the greatness that was Ashur!
That whole scene just left me feeling empty. I probably could have come to terms with what happened if it had been handled differently.

I think the replacement cast members really damaged the show for me. I couldn't feel much of anything for them. I couldn't connect them to the original actors at all. That was a real problem in episodes that referenced or resolved plot points from earlier seasons.

Another issue is the increased scale. Generally, the more intimate this series is, the better. It's a brilliant character drama that has become encumbered by a listless historical narrative.
That's a good, succinct way of putting it. I do hope they don't have a lot of scale issues this season both with the narrative and the effects. I really don't know how the process that they've developed for shooting Spartacus will hold up when they start introducing some much larger scale battles.

Here's hoping Starz produces some kind of spin-off again. They managed an entire prequel series without Spartacus as a character and there are rumours that they have something involving Julius Ceasar planned so perhaps this season isn't truly the end.
It sounds like DeKnight is pushing forward with Incursion for Starz, so my guess would be that they might look to one of his subordinates to spin off the Julius Caesar stuff if that ends up happening. Presumably they'll take a look at the numbers for this season and start thinking more about a spinoff if it's still picking up a larger audience this year.

aku:jiki

It sounds like DeKnight is pushing forward with Incursion for Starz, so my guess would be that they might look to one of his subordinates to spin off the Julius Caesar stuff if that ends up happening. Presumably they'll take a look at the numbers for this season and start thinking more about a spinoff if it's still picking up a larger audience this year.
Is Incursion his space show? That's actually happening?

I don't know if anything could possibly make me love my TV more than Spartacus in Space.

I got the boxsets at Christmas to catch up in time for this, looking forward to how they end it, especially with the last episode being called Victory. Hopefully the ridiculous dialogue and sword throwing continues.

Also very nice OT.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just hope they have something more interesting to do with Spartacus as a character beyond giving "stirring" speeches 8 times an episode.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Senator Soufflé;46707031 said:
I got the boxsets at Christmas to catch up in time for this, looking forward to how they end it, especially with the last episode being called Victory. Hopefully the ridiculous dialogue and sword throwing continues.

I'm really curious about that episode given (warning: major spoilers)
how the real Spartacus story ends. I don't see how they could possibly end the series on a high note if they're going to adhere to historical records. As far as I know Crixus's army is defeated. And Spartacus gets cornered before surrendering and then getting killed. How the hell they're going to portray that as a Victory is something I'm interested in seeing. Then again they're going to have to go for the crowd-pleasing "Spartacus destroys everyone" ending; but the question is how? The true ending of the story is that Spartacus loses.
It'll be interesting to watch. That's for sure.

Hope Starz puts the first episode online like last time, otherwise I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray

Go out with a bang, Spartacus

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 2 sort of left a bad taste in my mouth mainly due to the fact that NuSpartacus and NuNaevia didn't connect with me at all, but I'm still really looking forward to this final season. Hopefully the plotting isn't as loose and disconnected as last season's was.

And I'm still shocked that they killed off the three best characters in the Vengeance finale - Ashur, Illythia, and Lucretia. I really hope the new characters are able to pick up the slack.

Thought season 2 was okay, not great. Certainly the weakest of the three seasons so far. Recasts weren't very good.

Sucks they killed all the old villains, but the new guys look pretty interesting. Very curious how they're going to end the series.

Oh, Gannicus for life.

I'm so excited for this. Too bad we're still getting the episodes two days later in Canada. :/

I need copious amounts of Nagron please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom