• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Controversy: Gamers Are Stupid and Don't Know Sh*t About Development

simpatico

Gamers are stupid is the death knell of the industry. Look at BF2042 vs BattleBit. Publishers think when a game bombs, it's because gamers didn't enjoy it correctly. Given the amount of structural cleaning that this requires, I'm not sure if it can fixed without a bigger crash. Entire executive floors need to be cleared out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Gamers are stupid is the death knell of the industry. Look at BF2042 vs BattleBit. Publishers think when a game bombs, it's because gamers didn't enjoy it correctly. Given the amount of structural cleaning that this requires, I'm not sure if it can fixed without a bigger crash. Entire executive floors need to be cleared out.

But sometimes gamers are stupid. So what should the industry do when gamers show "collectively" we are dumb about game development?

Three

Here's a good example. Suicide Squad + Gotham Knights OR a big, well polished Batman Arkham game. Boggles the mind that billion dollar companies can't figure out which side of that equation is going to be more successful.
I mean sure people didn't like Suicide Squad or Gotham Knights (30fps hate didn't do it any favours) compared to a possible big, well polished Batman Arkham game but i don't see the relevance. Spiderman 2 is exactly that isn't it? A big well polished Spiderman game. They didn't go online multiplayer or anything like that.

The OP calls gamers stupid for not knowing that a lot of polish goes into a game late in development. It was when people went into complaining mode after the gameplay showcase a couple of months ago. Some controversies tend to just disproportionately spiral out of control.

Take your example of BattleBit vs Battlefield. You think if EA released Battlefield looking like that they wouldn't be ridiculed and laughed at?

Last edited:

simpatico

I mean sure people didn't like Suicide Squad or Gotham Knights (30fps hate didn't do it any favours) compared to a possible big, well polished Batman Arkham game but i don't see the relevance. Spiderman 2 is exactly that isn't it? A big well polished Spiderman game. They didn't go online multiplayer or anything like that.

The OP calls gamers stupid for not knowing that a lot of polish goes into a game late in development. It was when people went into complaining mode after the gameplay showcase a couple of months ago. Some controversies tend to just disproportionately spiral out of control.

Take your example of BattleBit vs Battlefield. You think if EA released Battlefield looking like that they wouldn't be ridiculed and laughed at?
My comments are aimed at the meta idea that gamers are stupid more so than anything to do with Spider-Man 2 specifically.

Last edited:

Pelta88

One month later... I can't work out what the "controversy" was/is.

Every time I open the thread I land on the last page, not the first. So I legitimately am at a loss as to what was controversial. Trailer is creating a buzz and the marketing campaign hasn't started yet, beyond a Story trailer. Which has obviously gone viral at 9 million views (from one upload) in 4 days.

I'm pointing that out to remind us that our conversations rarely, if ever, coincide with the much larger broader gaming market.

simpatico

What do you want. Explain.
Well for BF2042 I would have liked BF4 with a shiny coat of paint. Take out the operators, bring back classes and spend the resources just making the netcode good. Oh and some BFBC2 destructible environments too. Nothing beats blowing open a sniper nest with a noob toob. Same goes for Halo Infinite. Just spruce up Halo 3 and call it a day.

Also would have preferred just a regular Batman game to Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights.

No one needed Redfall or a half baked Deathloop. Either see out the Deathloop concept to it's full potential or make Dishonored 3.

And for fuck's sake, why did it fall on Trepang Studios to make a legit sequel to F.E.A.R.?

All of these things are paths of lesser resistance then the ones the publishers chose, and I believe they all would have made them more money and inspired good faith in their customers. Don't they see all the money CDPR and From are bringing in?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Apparently the game has been delayed in the Middle East ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is a follow up as the game was pulled from PSN recently

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
5SGZf3O.gif

SABRE220

Fair enough they improved decently from the terrible original trailer, albeit in the image its more the effect of light placement, decals, and color grading. That being said the game is about to be released so can you finally admit the graphics are clearly inferior to the reveal and not even close to your original expectations aka close to the movie visuals that you were hyping?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Fair enough they improved decently from the terrible original trailer, albeit in the image its more the effect of light placement, decals, and color grading. That being said the game is about to be released so can you finally admit the graphics are clearly inferior to the reveal and not even close to your original expectations aka close to the movie visuals that you were hyping?
Got any comparisons?
I’m curious to see the difference.

Unknown?

We don't care about your sour grapes.

Lol there is LITERALLY no difference between these two pics except the contrast is tuned way up to the point where it actually crushes some of the detail from the original pic

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That being said the game is about to be released so can you finally admit the graphics are clearly inferior to the reveal

How so? This looks to be identical quality to me. Additional points for launch trailer gif with additional assets/geometry.

and not even close to your original expectations aka close to the movie visuals that you were hyping?

Sorry, I can't. At least one cutscene looked to be straight out of a movie. Hopefully a couple others (preferably setpieces) reach that level as well.

Stooky

Lol there is LITERALLY no difference between these two pics except the contrast is tuned way up to the point where it actually crushes some of the detail from the original pic
Get your eyes checked .Looks like they adjusted shader materials spec how it reacts to light. definitely more texture detail in jacket and her face.

Last edited:

Stooky

How so? This looks to be identical quality to me. Additional points for launch trailer gif with additional assets/geometry.

Sorry, I can't. At least one cutscene looked to be straight out of a movie. Hopefully a couple others (preferably setpieces) reach that level as well.

You are possibly looking at lighting in a cinematic vs open world lighting. Cinematic lighting will always look superior.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Ah ok I was making a comparison to the movie trailer that Chief initially hyped as the achievable visual goal that spiderman 2 will match and he is still adamant about, these were the original expectations that chief had for the graphics...which apparently insomniac has matched in his eyes in the trailer.

Thought you had something in mind with the OG trailer and the launch trailer?

and also with the first reveal trailer.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Often times (many people don't understand this), changes are purely artistical. Because moods change depending on lighting and composition. What may be deemed a "downgrade" is sometimes just a rearranging of features to give a different feel, even if the overall makeup contains the same geometry/textures/shaders, etc.

Exhibit A (scene I put together using 3D assets from Unreal, rendered in Octane using my rig)...

fog and DoF used + vignette

a-DoF.png

Same scene - No Fog/DoF/particles reduced/vignette removed

b-No-Do-F.png

Amazing what a few small changes can do, even if none of the materials have changed. This is often a matter of just adding some "pop" to a cinematic, or, in-game cutscene (of which, Spider-Man 2 will have plenty). Based on this phenomenon, the new trailer and reveal trailers are very closely matched, despite a different time of day. Had the new trailer been at night, I'd be willing to bet it would be a 1:1 situation.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Ah ok I was making a comparison to the movie trailer that Chief initially hyped as the achievable visual goal that spiderman 2 will match and he is still adamant about, these were the original expectations that chief had for the graphics...which apparently insomniac has matched in his eyes in the trailer.

and also with the first reveal trailer.

Difficult to find any comparative scenes, but here's one with the suits and background.

Reveal Trailer:
sm1o2i01.png

Launch Trailer:

sm2c2fju.png

Top Bottom