• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Controversy: Gamers Are Stupid and Don't Know Sh*t About Development

Marvel14

Banned
People gave shit to CDPR but I think most of you all have been spoiled by Cyberpunks amazing graphics as well as Horizons. Anyway Spider-man 2 can look the same as the first for all I care. Gameplay and story is all that matters in a Spider-man game so I'm super hyped about it. It's gonna be awesome.
How dare you prioritise gameplay over visuals ! Who gave you the right? Who do you think you are? Don't you know that immersion requires impeccable visual fidelity? What soup are you swimming in you Philistine?

sarcasm

Last edited:

GymWolf

not_a_smart_man_forrest_gump.gif

but i have a slightly above average penis

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I never understood why people got upset that a clear downgrade was pointed out. They removed reflective puddles, likely to save on performance. Thats a fact. Their are other things in that scene, spideys suit looks more detailed compared to the final game, the texture quality all around is a little better, and it also had higher quality shadows. I dont understand why people were deemed “stupid” for calling that out? At the end of the day that game had to run on a ps4, so its understandable why those cuts may have been made, or why for instance the last of us part 2 did not have many of those advanced animations shown in the trailers
Dude, I thought I was going insane. There was a clear fucking downgrade in puddle reflections. It was so obvious to see if you had two eyes but people love to shield their favorite developers so flocked to insomniac's defense. Turns out it was an actual fucking downgrade after DF did a video showing how in order to have puddles like that they wouldve needed SSR reflections all over the open world which would be way too expensive on the GPU. Not to mention all the manpower they wouldve needed to properly align those reflections. Though I could be misremembering that detail.

So by definition, they downgraded the visuals knowing full well they couldnt have had those reflections in the open world. Of course, ray tracing was revealed a few months later and we all found out that they needed ray tracing to get puddles to reflect the way they did in the demo. Ray tracing. Something obviously the PS4 could never support.

I hate how some devs are shielded from criticism. Had they been checked back in 2018 where they simply came out and said, yes, we are sorry, we hand crafted those reflections to make the scene look better than it will in the final version then no one would have bat an eyelash. Critics would say, hey there is your downgrade, small all things considered and moved on. But nope, we all felt the need to shield the devs from criticism and emboldened them to do more shit like that next time. 4 years later, we are seeing what a real downgrade looks like.

spiderman2game-sony.gif
CraftyHideousBobolink-max-1mb.gif

marvel-spider-man-spider-man.gif
marvels-spider-man-2-spider-man-2.gif

HrJmrlf.gif
BSHUngL.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This my issue would be with why show that part of the game if it's not ready to be shown? They should have disrupted development and shown a 2 minute gameplay from a vertical slice that's more "ready".
Then you will never get to see the game until it's close to launch. In development they have points in time where there is the most recent and stable build, and that could have been a months old build before they added more rendering/animation/gameplay passes in the current one they are working on, that is far less stable.

Seen it first hand for years with MLB The Show.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I kind of want some gore/blood physics in this though. call me a psycho but it makes no sense how spiderman can swing someone around and into the ground and no blood/bones/whatever break or come out.

Robb

Gold Member
4 years later, we are seeing what a real downgrade looks like.
Doesn’t help that they went out of their way to say that the first trailer was in-engine and running in real time either just to hype it up..

I wish it’d look as nice as that first reveal, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Most countries voted for the public education system they got, so I think the premise stands...

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Spiderman 2 was underwhelming because they made everyone sit through an hour of trailers before they showed gameplay from a big never before seen exclusive. Just straight up fatigue in order to see something new or real gameplay for a major exclusive.

It is baffling these companies think it is a good idea to have a massive drought of game announcements and then just sandwich all of into 1 show making it all forgettable. There were some gems there, and it is unfortunate that it all got diluted based on this strategy. 4-5 state of plays a year would shine such a better light on all of these titles.

Last edited:

Synless

It’s part of the process, we’ve been here before multiple times. Then the game launches and the game looks great and it’s left for the few miserable ones to try and keep the narrative alive.
I agree with this. I have no doubts Spider-Man will look pretty good after all the polish is done and the game is out. However that trailer looked marginally better than Miles Morales. That’s why most of us are disappointed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree with this. I have no doubts Spider-Man will look pretty good after all the polish is done and the game is out. However that trailer looked marginally better than Miles Morales. That’s why most of us are disappointed.
And this is a fair take as well.

GymWolf

The topic on reeee looks like a cave of asslickers, some people must have their heads inside their ass to write some of the things i'm reading...

I'm surprised they are not banning everyone with a negative opinion...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The topic on reeee looks like a cave of asslickers, some people must have their heads inside their ass to write some of the things i'm reading...

Thats because they know jstevenson is there. They slag off Alex there every chance they get. Its celebrity worship.

They had no problem trashing suicide squad, forspoken and gotham knights just a few months ago, but those devs dont have accounts on era.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Im gonna have to push back on this alittle.

Its misleading to say that graphics is the last thing that is worked on.
Its true all the bells and whistles are not worked on or alot of the times turned off so you don't bog down your system during level building/gameplay development.

Usually for a game, gameplay and story-line is being developed seperately from the graphics, as you don't want graphics getting in the way of gameplay development.

So gameplay/story-line is usually done with box (lego like) levels.

However the actual graphic fidelity the game/development team is aiming for is determined in the first quarter of development (if we imagined development being 4 NBA Quarters).

This is when you have a vertical slice that is demoed, which is usually the first gameplay or in-engine demo.

But graphics, gameplay/story are being worked on at the same time. you just have different sub-teams working on it, with their own branches.

But we didn't see control footage before it was ready.... and she looks much better in the prototype lol
Spdier man 2 is pretty much done let's be honest.

GymWolf

Thats because they know jstevenson is there. They slag off Alex there every chance they get. Its celebrity worship.

They had no problem trashing suicide squad, forspoken and gotham knights just a few months ago, but those devs dont have accounts on era.
I knew that already.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Understandable. I think the opening shot with the helicopter looks way better than Miles Morales, and the speed at which it’s happening is incredible.

But I think games that are smaller scope will have an easier time providing the sort of leap that people want. And then some people will complain that said games aren’t 60fps.

Thirty7ven

Banned

So you think Spider-Man 2 is comparable to Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad, which genuinely looked lame to bad?

hlm666

My dad once told me never to believe praise from anyone with a brown tongue. Took me a few years to understand this but as I got older it was reasonable advice ;)

GymWolf

My dad once told me never to believe praise from anyone with a brown tongue. Took me a few years to understand this but as I got older it was reasonable advice ;)
What if they are just eating chocolate icecream while talking to you tho?

Last edited:

Lupin25

It’s the diminishing returns.

Improved graphics have always been a factor to help easily identify a game’s value to a casual gamer.

Plus, there was a good leap between gens from PS1 - PS4, so Sony kind of created these expectations for fans early on.

Everything I seen from SM2 gameplay-wise were good improvements across the board, though. I liked the animation where Miles used light poles to propel himself to webslinging and the variety of web/tendril attacks used in those encounters were also nice to see. Hopefully, the environment is much of an option during combat like from we’ve seen so far.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm sure this new game from the same dev who has in multiple occasions shown no major upgrades from demo to release is going to look 10 times better when it comes out!!!. Some slides from a presentation of areas that were never intended to be a part of a public demo told me so!!

People just need to lower their expectations, everyone bought into the hype of "dropping cross gen" as this magical moment that would instantly make games better in every way.
Spider Man 2 is just the reality check: Next gen is slight visual improvements over las gen but at higher resolutions and with a 60fps option

Wait till you see the amazing next gen gameplay and design
- "Spiderman! Shocker is trying to take over the entire power grid, I've identified multiple access points that he is using to do so"
- Map opens up and 12 shocker icons appear spread around the city
- You go to the 12 areas which are warehouses or construction sites and take down a bunch of random goons. Then you interact with the "access point" to disable it
- After you do that 12 times you have your showdown with Shocker where you dodge his slow and very telegraphed attacks and then take him down with a QTE
- "Thanks Spiderman. But we have another problem! We were taking balloons to the orphanage for the party but we accidentally let them go and now they are all over the city, can you help us get them back?"
- Map opens and 24 "balloon hunt" icons appear spread around the city...

Last edited:
Top Bottom