• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales is now the 3rd Biggest Game EVER published by Sony in the United States (By Revenue)

Neofire

I wonder if Sony will allow Spiderman on PC. According to the nvidia leaks its the only blockbuster not being made. They are even porting Ratchet and Clank. (2016)
People are still hanging onto that "so called leak" I see lol

Portugeezer

tumblr_m1rivrggZ01qchl8do1_250.gif

I’d say that Arkham Asylum narrowly beats Spider-Man due to its superior map design, combat and atmosphere. I’d say that AA is comfortably a better game than MM. But yeah, probably AA, Spider-Man and then Spider-Man 2 in that order for the top 3.

While I like AA as well (for different reasons), Spider-Man captures the big budget super hero vibe far better, the set pieces and production values are a leap beyond

AmuroChan

Would be cool if they continue to release these bite-sized interstitial games in between the main entries. Give me standalone games featuring Spidey Noir, Spider Gwen, Peni Parker, etc.

3liteDragon

One of the biggest IP in the world, suddenly made exclusive by the largest 1st party.

Why is no one up in arms about that
Pretty sure anyone can get a license from Marvel Games to make a game using the Spider-Man IP, even Xbox, same applies to Wolverine. Sony just published a PS4 console exclusive based off of a non-exclusive license they obtained from Marvel, don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Arachnid

And how were things going after that?
His post said no one cared about Spidey games until Sony. That's blatantly not true, unless you move goal posts to a single console gen. I can think of multiple Spidey games I loved prior to Insomiacs single Spidey game. Hell, prior to the two games I listed. Insomniac was made big by Spidey. Not the other way around. No way in hell any other IP of theirs could have made this kind of money. Especially since Spidey as a property is on a high note right now with just about everything.

Yoboman

His post said no one cared about Spidey games until Sony. That's blatantly not true, unless you move goal posts to a single console gen. I can think of multiple Spidey games I loved prior to Insomiacs single Spidey game. Hell, prior to the two games I listed. Insomniac was made big by Spidey. Not the other way around. No way in hell any other IP of theirs could have made this kind of money. Especially since Spidey as a property is on a high note right now with just about everything.
Spiderman 2 was the most successful and shipped a few million. This is a different level entirely

Spidey was small time for gaming before, Insomniac took its potential and made it huge. Same story as the Arkham games

And they could very well have made something new and seen huge success like Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch have done

What goal post? Spider-Man games wasn't some big seller before Sony released the new games now they selling 20 million units , I was replying to someone who asked why no one was upset about Spider-Man going exclusive.
Aw now it’s about sales, nah bruh, u exposed. The og post said “I'm pretty sure that no one cared about the Spider-man games until Sony made a good game”. That’s a flat out lie. Don’t bring sales into this, that’s irrelevant. I don’t play sales, we play games.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Damn MM is great and all but this rode the coat tails of Spider-Man. Good thing Insomniac are cooking up a new adventure as we speak. People are thirsty for SM.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Its because everyone had only 40 bucks left after spending 500$ on a PS5.

Sony has to consider a game a failure if it doesnt reach 10 million in sales at this point.

Not necessarily. I don't think they expect returnal to reach 10m and they're perfectly happy with the performance. I'm curious to see how far Return sales extend once it's released on PC. Should be a good market for that type of game.

onQ123

Aw now it’s about sales, nah bruh, u exposed. The og post said “I'm pretty sure that no one cared about the Spider-man games until Sony made a good game”. That’s a flat out lie. Don’t bring sales into this, that’s irrelevant. I don’t play sales, we play games.
Yes it's about sales this whole thread is about sales what the hell are you even talking about?

njean777

I really wish I could pay for the Spider-man remastered for 10$ and then decide if I want to play the Morales expansion (game). But nooooooo I have to pay 50-70$ for both when I really don't want to pay for Morales just yet.... I have the original Spiderman (never played it yet) but decided to wait to see if they would at least offer an upgrade for PS5 owners.... I guess I will just have to play the ps4 version after all. Before anybody says anything I bought it when it was 20$ on ps4 about a year before the ps5 even came out and just never had the time to play it, so no I didn't buy it after the fact.

yazenov

Spider-Man 2 is going to be huge, especially after how well the new Spider-Man movie had done in the box office.

It has become one of the biggest franchises ever. Sony has done a great job with both the movies and the games. Its easily the most valuable PS exclusive that will sell alot of consoles.

Neolombax

I liked it more than Spiderman. They trimmed out all the parts that I felt slowed down the pace of Spiderman, like that circuit mini game and the investigation missions. The combat was much more enjoyable too.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So what are the numbers? Cause Horizon was 20mill yesterday so this, GOW and the original SM must be what?

Robb

Gold Member
Insomniac really knocked it out of the park with both the original and Miles. Good to see it pay off!

I can only see these games gaining even more success alongside all of the movies. Spider-Man as a brand seems to be in a really great place right now.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
One of the biggest IP in the world, suddenly made exclusive by the largest 1st party.

Why is no one up in arms about that
you need a good developer to achieve that, a well known IP is not enough.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I am pretty sure the Spiderman games sold pretty well anyway, hence why Activision made so many over the years.

Prior to Sony taking over.
Nope Spider Man has only existed on the PS4, prior to that it was a figment of your imagination and not an IP that existed since 1964.

onQ123

I am pretty sure the Spiderman games sold pretty well anyway, hence why Activision made so many over the years.

Prior to Sony taking over.

This is how the last Spider-Man game before Sony took it over was received

Reception[edit]​

Reception
Aggregate score
AggregatorScore
MetacriticiOS: 58/100[6]
PC: 57/100[7]
PS3: 57/100[8]
PS4: 49/100[9]
WIIU: 58/100[10]
X360: 55/100[11]
XONE: 46/100[12]
Review scores
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 received generally unfavorable reviews upon release, with most of the criticism aimed at the graphics, story, and glitches. On Metacritic, the iOS version of the game has a weighted aggregate rating of 58/100 based on 14 reviews,[6] the PlayStation 3 version of the game has 57/100 based on 4 reviews,[8] and the PlayStation 4 version of the game has 49/100 based on 44 reviews.[9]

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions were reviewed as "inferior" to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions, primarily due to the fact that the older console versions suffered from poor lighting, frame rate drops, and poorly detailed textures. The PS4 version of the game received a 5.4/10 from IGN.[17] The Xbox One version of the game received a 5.5/10 from Digital-Tutors stating the biggest issue was "...it just isn't polished, and based on the many issues we found with the game it looks thrown together in a rush trying to get it out the door in time for the release of the movie".

Bajo and Hex from ABC's Good Game found the game disappointing and both scored it a 4/10, with Hex saying: "This feels like a poor copy-paste job of The Amazing Spider-Man, with most of the good bits removed".[23]

Eurogamer's Dan Whitehead scored the game a 2 out of 10, saying "it's like a part of me has died". Whitehead was very disappointed in the game because, as he is a big fan of Spider-Man, he felt that the game provided no significant fun for the player, whereas past Spider-Man games at least provided something. Whitehead stated: "Sullied by lacklustre gameplay and trampled by technical shoddiness, this time Spidey hasn't been done in by the Sinister Six, but reduced to a Terrible Two".[24]

Tom McShea from GameSpot scored the game a 5/10. McShea called the representation of Spider-Man "enjoyable", and liked the "satisfying" boss battles, but criticized the controls, side-missions, and combat. McShea summarized his review by saying: "The biggest failing of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is how familiar it feels. In fact, there have been other open-world games starring Spider-Man that walk a remarkably similar path. So there weren't many surprises, nothing that jumped out and made me take notice. Still, being able to spend time with Spider-Man was enough for me to stomach the various problems, just because he's a fun character to listen to. There's nothing majorly wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, after all. There's just not a lot right with it, either".[14]

Richard Grisham of GamesRadar was more positive of the game, giving it a 3 out of 5. He called the combat "shallow" but "enjoyable", praised the collectibles, and liked the "entertaining, fun" story. He did feel as though the game was a dated experience, and disliked the controls and mission variety.[15]

In his review for Polygon, Justin McElroy scored the game a 6/10 and wrote: "I've accepted that there's probably never going to be a truly great Spider-Man game. If the dispiriting The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is any indication, Activision and Beenox may have reached the same conclusion. There have been many worse Spider-Man games than this. But I can't recall one that's swung so conceptually close to greatness only to let poor execution drag it back to Earth".[21]

Thirty7ven

Banned
You know what's funny....

Not alot changed as far as gameplay goes from that game to Insomniac, but reception did.

🤔

None of them beat Ultimate Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 in my clouded recollection.

What’s funny is you’re actually trying to downplay the quality, success, and critically acclaim of Insomniac’s Spider-Man vs what came before. But I’m sure there are dozens that agree with you.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can’t imagine the bonuses insomniac staff are getting. I hope they are all rolling in maximum loot! They deserve it, truly one of the greatest devs in the industry!

it will soon be number 1!

Kagey K

Banned
What’s funny is you’re actually trying to downplay the quality, success, and critically acclaim of Insomniac’s Spider-Man vs what came before. But I’m sure there are dozens that agree with you.
I guess that's one way to see it.

Might be some bias showing through.

Let's not pretend Spider-Man wasn't good prior (or even critically acclaimed before Insomniac)

BTW nowhere did I say Imsomniacs version isn't good, or try to discredit them as a developer.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
This is how the last Spider-Man game before Sony took it over was received

Are you okay?
I never said anything about the quality or gameplay (even though the gameplay is still very similar imo) just much better cutscenes and graphics now.

I said the games sold well prior, hence why Activision kept putting Spiderman games out. (There is loads of them)

Top Bottom