• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thats actually pretty surprising to me since it was on both PS4 and 5. Yet...I have a PS5 and havent bought it due to the price. I will definitely pick it up on sale.

Mr Hyde

Didn't pick it up due to me getting bored with the first one and Miles Morales looking to be a very similar experience. I also finished Spider-Man just recently so wasn't keen on jumping back in for a sequel. Will probably grab it a few years down the lane when it's cheap. Got so many games already, I'm booked for the whole of 2021 already.

Vick

Because it's not a full sequel therefore wasn't marketed as bigly as 2018.
I think it had enough exposure. I mean this SunhiLegend gif gathered 2.2 million views..

That never happened before.

Bought it today by the way, in physical Ultimate Edition despite only having a Digital PS5 at the moment. But i love the original game so for now even playing the Remastered with DualSense and RT is worth the price.

Last edited:

who_me

Should have been:

1. Should have just worked on ratchet and had it for a launch title and made this game a full sequel

2. Made it full blown sequel and delayed ratchet next holiday/ early 2022 (my choice)

I honestly wished this was a full blown sequel, as miles is an important character but this is probably setting this up for a character switch/ co-op game for the second main game

Last edited:

Arthimura

The game is really fun and a great early gen showcase for PS5 hardware and RT.

However spinoffs usually sells less than main games, and i suppose some people didn't bought a PS5 yet and decided to wait to play it in full glory with 4k/RT or RT/60 FPS.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Black lead characters are too woke

200w_d.gif

x@3f*oo_e!

I didn't buy it - Spiderman was top 5 games of my last gen.

Just had enough spiderman - nobody gave a reason why I should buy it so I assume it was just big expensive DLC. (and I much prefer Miles to Peter so that's not it)

Last edited:

taizuke

for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.

I too was a little fatigued after achieving the platinum and it's dlc in Spider-man. It's the main reason i don't care for the Remaster and i thought i wouldn't be excited for Miles Morales but everything I've seen from the game has certainly changed that.

It's my #1 game to get on PS5. But, first i have to get a PS5...

Last edited:

Roufianos

Don't forget that even on PS4 it's more expensive than other fall titles like Valhalla were.

At least here in the UK anyway.

ultrazilla

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.

iu

Calverz

Oh dear. Not good for what people said was an inmissable exclusive sjowing “real”
Ray tracing blah blah blah

Lot of folks act and think it's more of an expansion than an actual new game/sequel.

Also the character of Miles himself just probably isn't as popular especially with older casual fans who only know Peter Parker.

Spiderman was also a pack in game, lot of it's sales were included with pack in sales on reporting sites, Miles isn't a pack in.

And that site is using really a bullshit source for it's numbers, so this 70% number is likely overblown.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I think it released too soon. I felt like I had enough with the original not so long ago, and not eager to jump back into more of the same yet. That’s just my reasoning for not getting it yet. I also think it’s a little overrated. Good 8/10 game. Nothing I can’t wait on.

Banned
while Spider-Man was a good game (I platinumed it after all) it wasn't special.

it was a more polished rendition of the Spider-Man formula as it already existed in many older Spider-Man games like Amazing Spider-Man 2 or even older games.

and open world Spider-Man is always set in new york, it always has very similar mission structures and controls, no matter who makes the games.

I guess people aren't interested in yet another one. especially since it's not even a full in sequel but something in-between a sequel and a DLC.

add to that that the first game also had 2 full campaign DLCs and I get why people are not interested.

I also haven't played or bought it yet for exactly the reasons I mentioned

Superdata lol

While it is probably true the numbers are just big estimates... most numbers from Superdata are wrong.

I don't think the source would have mattered to the OP regardless:

yurinka

The thread and article titles are click bait fake news, this is only an estimation.

And of the digital sales only, not of the total sales.

The correct title should be "Superdata estimates that Spider-Man: Miles Morales sold 70% less digital copies at launch than 2018's Spider-Man".

Other than that, it's a spin-off with other main character, so obviously it will sell less. And the other game had the extra of a lot of people hyped to get the first great Spider-Man videogame in many decades.

And well, the original Spider-Man had INSANE sales so it's very difficult to repeat that specially in the middle of a very crowded moment with tons of huge releases like Cyberpunk, ACV, WDL, Demon's Souls etc plus 2 console releases. So many people interested on it maybe decided (like me) to get other stuff instead and wait to get this game later.

Last edited:

StormCell

As many others have pointed out, I'm just waiting till I have a PS5 to buy it. I'm among that target audience. I love me some Marvel video games. More of us are probably just in that bunch who are waiting post-launch to get a PS5, and when we do we'll be web slinging as Miles Morales. Won't mind if it's $10 by the time I get there!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man
feel like you answered your own question here.

the first game sold a bunch because it was the first modern HD Spider-Man game.

this is not even a full sequel. it is more a DLC or spinoff.

this is an extremely common sales dropoff from full game to spinoff. no idea why OP is having trouble understanding this.

Fbh

I don't think it's that surprising.
It's a 7 hours long DLC sold for nearly the same price as bigger and more heavily marketed games like Assassins Creed Valhalla and COD and with a lot of holiday/Black friday sales around the corner, not to mention launching near other big releases like Cyberpunk (before we knew how much the console version would suck).

I enjoyed the original game but if I'm going to spend $50 on games there's a bunch of other stuff I'd rather spend it on than this.

Fewer.

MM is really short for the price (in the UK you can get the Ubisoft PS5 games for £10-£20 cheaper and they are full blown games) so I can understand people waiting until it's much cheaper. If you never played Spider-Man PS4 the Ultimate Edition is a very good deal though.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Maybe people aren't as stupid as I thought....but this might have more to do with the general unavailability of the PS5 console

Yeah, I agree with most about it being too much like the first game. $50 is just too much for an addon of a game, and for that, it's too close to the original.

AC_Eivor

Neo Member
I think it is mostly that it isn't a full sequel, and Sony are treating it more as a side title. I personally really enjoyed it, but I'm sure that Spider-Man 2 will destroy it sales wise.

Top Bottom