• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

YuLY

Bitch ass people like you can't see a black Spider-man for a second without throwing a fit and feeling like the world is caving in around you. You're weak. I have no sympathy for you.
Dont cry dude, things will be fine, this Morales guy can still be your favorite spider-man, even if most of the planet doesnt give a fuck about him.

You're so desperate to make people accept the agenda being pushed in their face that you try to disguise not bending over for all the trash coming our way in the name of diversity that you paint it as weakness lol. No dude, weakness would be to just accept it. Tough words making someone half the globe away "bitch ass people and weak", you're probably the type that gets 1 tapped, sit down kid.

So this dude gets introduced apparently in 2011 and me as a grown man not reading comics anymore and non-american should accept that suddenly this black guy is spider-man cause reasons. Literally had no idea he existed until this glorified DLC was announced, and I'm supposed to accept that suddenly ? fuck off lol

I want to play as Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne, not these alternative obscure dudes. You can do whatever the hell you want, but I can also vote with my wallet.

I'm still waiting for an unbundled Spiderman remastered for PS5, even if I bought MM Ultimate it would mainly have been to play the former.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
tenor.gif

That’s the opposite of what I said but whatever. If you aren’t able to relate to a character that doesn’t look like you then I’m sure reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit of yours either.

Yikes. Because I'm black you're accusing me of having poor reading comprehension? That is like a total racial stereotype you just hurled at me and I just can't even rn.

Just you wait ExpanseKong, cos imma round up my 3 followers on Twitter and my legion of head mates and once I'm done, you're gonna be so cancelled people will be calling you Firefly for the rest of your life.

ExpandKong

Banned
Yikes. Because I'm black you're accusing me of having poor reading comprehension? That is like a total racial stereotype you just hurled at me and I just can't even rn.

Just you wait ExpanseKong, cos imma round up my 3 followers on Twitter and my legion of head mates and once I'm done, you're gonna be so cancelled people will be calling you Firefly for the rest of your life.

oh wait you’re doing a bit right now. Sorry it’s early and I’m still sleepy.

Most people actually think it’s a PS5 exclusive.

Anecdotal but I have plenty of friends who wants to play Miles Morales but tells me they don’t have a PS5 yet so they haven’t bought the game yet.
I think this is the answer.

Heck, until now even I didn’t realise it’s also available on PS4... regardless though, i’m buying it on PS5... when I get one... whenever Canada has stock again.

I think the game will have much much longer legs than SM.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Because it's not a full sequel therefore wasn't marketed as bigly as 2018.

I'm also under the impression people want to wait till ps5 to play it, or they don't know it's on ps4.
I don't have a PS5 but I looked on Amazon a couple weeks before Xmas and didn't even see a PS4 listing.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Because Mile Morales isn't Spiderman, Peter Parker is. I hate it when they shoehorn characters into established heroes role. Especially to check those boxes. Create NEW heroes. I don't care that he is black but would there be uproar if a white actor became the new Black Panther (or even as the character in a new BP comic)?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You’re...kind of making my case. “If you don’t like switching the main hero you know and love for diversity then fuck you.” That’s why almost every woke movie has bombed when theaters were still a thing and spider mans sales cratered 70 percent. Because if you don’t like it then fuck you, what a sales pitch.

What movies do you consider "WOKE"?

On Demand

Banned
It’s a side story, not a direct sequel. Sales are normal. It will still sell a couple million over the next several months.

The article answers it’s own article at the last paragraph.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

wow at some of these comments in here..since its a black character its a bandwagon driven agenda or woke?? if people only think Spider man is Peter then how come Into the Spider-Verse banked almost half a billion? smh ignorance at its finest with some of you in here

It's not ignorance. It's pure racism. Lets call it what is it.

mckmas8808

Yes, let's call everyone racists. Worked wonders for that other forum.

it's ma'am GIF's ma'am GIF

People acting as if there's a problem with a black Spiderman have issues. Mainly since he's not "THE" Spiderman. He has his own origin story. There's nothing so-called "woke" about it. The character was created 10 years ago. And it wasn't to get rid of the "white" Spiderman that we all know and love.

So yes, comments like the one below are due to some form of racist intent\thinking.

Peter Parker is spider-man for me. I dont care what 90s comics or stuff you point out, I didnt even know those exist. Not everyone is american on this planet to have access to those comics, and not all PS players are american. I repeat, Peter Parker is Spider-man for me and everyone else looks like a poser or woke agenda driven.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this black guy being spider-man in the reveal trailer, was : who the f**k is this guy ?
I'm tired of these alternative characters pushed in front for the woke agenda
. I dont care how long back it goes,

Last edited:
personally I'm waiting til I can get my hands on a PS5 to get it. I'm fine with there being more Spiderman, especially after watching Spiderverse. I imagine most people don't really mind we have a black Spiderman since there's enough story on Miles already. I feel the lower number mainly is due to people thinking it's a PS5 exclusive or waiting to get a PS5 before getting the game.

chinoXL

Because Mile Morales isn't Spiderman, Peter Parker is. I hate it when they shoehorn characters into established heroes role. Especially to check those boxes. Create NEW heroes. I don't care that he is black but would there be uproar if a white actor became the new Black Panther (or even as the character in a new BP comic)?
you do realize Miles isn't a new character..his comic started in 2011, with a full origin story..lets have facts before typing nonsense...regardless the game is great and it will sell fine just like others have said once the ps5 inventory catches up

Woman7

Banned
People acting as if there's a problem with a black Spiderman have issues. Mainly since he's not "THE" Spiderman. He has his own origin story. There's nothing so-called "woke" about it. The character was created 10 years ago. And it wasn't to get rid of the "white" Spiderman that we all know and love.

So yes, comments like the one below are due to some form of racist intent\thinking.

Nothing racist there.

200.gif

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Not surprised, Sony spent tons of money on marketing Spider-Man 2018. Just the Be Greater tv spot with Francis Mageewas almost 10 million dollar, i bet they spent >100 million worldwide. My town was littered with Spiderman billboards, but i can't remember any MM advertisement and advertisement sells games.

karasu

why the fuck do you types always invoke Black Panther? Do you realize that he is the king of a strict isolationist African country that has absolutely 0 white people in it? You have to literally be of his bloodline to get powers from the heart-shaped herb. A white Back Panther wouldn't make sense at all. But even still, it's been done! A white baby survived a planed crash outside the borders of Wakanda, was adopted by the king, and grew up to be:

EB0Ek7E.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I picked up a used copy on ebay because I absolutely want to play a PS5 game on my PS5, but why would I pay 50 bucks for a short DLC? My PS5 is going to be a used game machine unless I can find stuff on sale or the big releases come out with no competition for my time on PC or Switch.

FritzJ92

The game is mainly marketed as a PS5 game, rarely every see it next to the PS4 logo.
The PS5 has roughly 3million consoles sold
The game sold ~700,000
The game is an expanded DLC (Don't get emotional with me here, it is what it is) at 49.99 or bundled for 69.99 with original Spiderman that most people that want the game already has
The originally Spiderman game came out only 2 years ago...
Minority character as the lead, and people who don't want to try another character will refuse...
Also has BLM references (which is sensitive to a lot of people for whatever reasons)
The game was not set for success... No matter how you put it, it was not set for success... it will eventually sell more and I'm pretty sure it'll be bundled with the next Spiderman but I'm not shocked or surprised of those numbers....

Dabaus

Banned
What movies do you consider "WOKE"?
I guess a better way to phrase what i meant was, replacing established characters with new ones for the sake of diversity. Movies that have done this and flopped have been Ghost busters, the most recent terminator, Star wars sequel trilogy.

Lister

Banned
I guess a better way to phrase what i meant was, replacing established characters with new ones for the sake of diversity. Movies that have done this and flopped have been Ghost busters, the most recent terminator, Star wars sequel trilogy.

Those movies flopped because of horrendous writing, pacing, and just being bad films. Not because they featured women or people of color.

VulcanRaven

It could be because it wasn't a full sequel. It looked more like a stand alone DLC. I haven't played it yet so I don't know. How much did The Lost Legacy sell compared to Uncharted 4?

Last edited:
How are you guys on a gaming forum and not know a game is on a platform or not. Especially after the uproar that was involved with MM and it's remaster of the first game.

Shmunter

How many people are even familiar with Miles Morales? Spider-Man is Peter Parker to the majority, and always will. Probably left many confused, or worse left impression of woke tokenism after everything that’s been happening.

Ridaxan

I sold my PS4Pro and haven't been able to buy a PS5 yet, so that's the only reason why I haven't bought it yet. I'm very keen to play it though.

mckmas8808

Nothing racist there.

200.gif

It's the only thing some of these people don't like about the character. They all point to his race being the issue. As if comic book characters haven't had their powers transferred or duplicated over to other people. Sometimes those other people are of different ethnic\racial backgrounds or a different gender. It's not new at all.

She-Hulk has existed since the early 1980s. Think how people would view her character today if she was made after 2010. Everything is about something being woke with some of yall.

Shehulk1st.jpg

mckmas8808

why the fuck do you types always invoke Black Panther? Do you realize that he is the king of a strict isolationist African country that has absolutely 0 white people in it? You have to literally be of his bloodline to get powers from the heart-shaped herb. A white Back Panther wouldn't make sense at all. But even still, it's been done! A white baby survived a planed crash outside the borders of Wakanda, was adopted by the king, and grew up to be:

EB0Ek7E.jpg

You just blew my mind! WOW! Never knew there was a white Black Panther (sort of). The White Wolf lol. Was he sorta like Black Panther's, Robin?

VulcanRaven

How many people are even familiar with Miles Morales? Spider-Man is Peter Parker to the majority, and always will. Probably left many confused, or worse left impression of woke tokenism after everything that’s been happening.
He was the main character in Into the Spider-Verse so I'm sure people know him now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

The game released on PS4 and PS5, what's the reason behind this big decline in sales? for me i didn't buy it because i was already tired of Spider-Man after spending more than 30 hours on the original game, i think Sony made a mistake releasing it too close to the original game.
I think your reasoning applies to a lot of folks. It was too soon for more Spiderman.

Saruhashi

Banned
I think Sony could have done better by this game.

It really sucks because honestly I think the game is better (love the electric powers), is a really excellent showcase for the PS5 and has better story and characters than the original PS4 game. In my opinion.

This is also one of those times where I think the "woke" criticism is not valid and the fact that it comes out here just makes it seem like any game with a non-white or female lead is going to get grief based on that alone. Yes, I know they have a BLM sign in the game or something but I don't really see this as a big deal personally and others are free to think otherwise.

The marketing teams could do a better job with selling Miles to the audience. If they want the character to get over then they need to properly show how he's a different but still interesting alternative to Peter Parker. Not easy when you have Marvel movies with Tom Holland and your massive PS4 AAA blockbuster was not only centered around Peter Parker but the weakest parts by far were the MJ and Miles sections.

It's a shame because it's a really good game that doesn't deserve the "woke" skepticism and deserves a lot more love.

Last edited:

Shmunter

He was the main character in Into the Spider-Verse so I'm sure people know him now.
Great movie. But it was a cartoon with limited appeal simply due to that.

Super Hero’s are nothing but a brand, with certain expectations just like the coffee selection at Starbucks. Any derivative carries significantly less appeal.

Just like she-hulk will never reach the status of the actual The Hulk.

There's a couple reasons, it's basically just a 50 dollar expansion that's going to be cheap later down the line
People want to experience it on next gen and consoles are hard to come by
People didn't like that the games too short
He isn't a shoehorned spiderman though miles morales has a decent history in the run of spiderman lol. After the success of the movie I don't see why he can't get an expansion.
Comparing a white guy to becoming the black panther is different, the hero is rooted in his ancestry and king of an african city. That would be the equivalent of replacing captain america with a Japanese guy lol

Iced Arcade

You just blew my mind! WOW! Never knew there was a white Black Panther (sort of). The White Wolf lol. Was he sorta like Black Panther's, Robin?
he's the white wolf. long story short: plane crashed in in wakanda, baby was the only survivor and was adopted and raised by King T'Chaka.

in the Marvel movies they refer to bucky as "the white wolf"

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
you do realize Miles isn't a new character..his comic started in 2011, with a full origin story..lets have facts before typing nonsense...regardless the game is great and it will sell fine just like others have said once the ps5 inventory catches up
Wow, 9 whole years!! Peter Parker was the original Spider-man in 1962 so stuff it!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There's a couple reasons, it's basically just a 50 dollar expansion that's going to be cheap later down the line
People want to experience it on next gen and consoles are hard to come by
People didn't like that the games too short

He isn't a shoehorned spiderman though miles morales has a decent history in the run of spiderman lol. After the success of the movie I don't see why he can't get an expansion.
Comparing a white guy to becoming the black panther is different, the hero is rooted in his ancestry and king of an african city. That would be the equivalent of replacing captain america with a Japanese guy lol
Just trying to show the absurdity of it. Why can't Miles be a new hero? Why Spider-Man? That's why comics (mostly) have gone downhill. No creativity.

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
So I came from a base PS4. Never played the original and MM was pretty much the first PS5 game I played outside of Astro. I thought it was great. Took about a week to beat it on and off. Have some stuff to do in NG+

I don’t mind the price tag. It was done well, performs well, and I enjoyed playing it 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

YuLY

It's the only thing some of these people don't like about the character. They all point to his race being the issue.

Oh fuck right off lol. I pointed out that I said "who the hell is this black guy" in the vein that because he was black it was clear from the start he wasnt Peter Parker, as opposed to just having a different face like original release vs remaster. The problem wasnt the color of his skin, it just showed clearly that it wasnt Peter, the problem is that its a different character, one for which I dont care, and it appears a lot of people dont also, based on sales. Stop playing the victim.

The sad part in all of this, is how you and other people of color fall into corpo's trap so easily. So instead of them making new and interesting caracters that are black, hispanic etc, they rehash old chars and you all just embrace it, without seeing how easily they please you with their half-assed attempt at making something for other demographics?? Unbelievable.

Mister Wolf

Miles only works if Peter is dead like originally intended by Brian Michael Bendis. The Spiderverse movie runners understood this as well. This Peter isn't dead so Miles being around is pointless. As pointless as having Ben Reilly hanging around.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Great movie. But it was a cartoon with limited appeal simply due to that.

Super Hero’s are nothing but a brand, with certain expectations just like the coffee selection at Starbucks. Any derivative carries significantly less appeal.

Just like she-hulk will never reach the status of the actual The Hulk.

Does it have to? Not sure why some people want the side character of a super hero to be equal or better than the original.

he's the white wolf. long story short: plane crashed in in wakanda, baby was the only survivor and was adopted and raised by King T'Chaka.

in the Marvel movies they refer to bucky as "the white wolf"

The sure do! So that's how the MCU put the white wolf in their universe. That's interesting.

I think Sony could have done better by this game.

It really sucks because honestly I think the game is better (love the electric powers), is a really excellent showcase for the PS5 and has better story and characters than the original PS4 game. In my opinion.

This is also one of those times where I think the "woke" angle is not necessary and just makes it seem like any game with a non-white or female lead is going to get grief based on that alone. Yes, I know they have a BLM sign in the game or something but I don't really see this as a big deal personally and others are free to think otherwise.

The marketing teams could do a better job with selling Miles to the audience. If they want the character to get over then they need to properly show how he's a different but still interesting alternative to Peter Parker. Not easy when you have Marvel movies with Tom Holland and your massive PS4 AAA blockbuster was not only centered around Peter Parker but the weakest parts by far were the MJ and Miles sections.

It's a shame because it's a really good game that doesn't deserve the "woke" skepticism and deserves a lot more love.

Honestly I think the premise of this thread is wrong for many reasons. So to think Sony could have done better is based on a lie.

1. Side stories typcially don't sell as much as main story lines.
2. While it's NOT DLC, it is only 7-10 hours long. Meaning that some people will decide to rent it, instead of buying it.
3. We don't know how much the game has sold yet. These figures is from a no named website with limited data.
4. The OG Spiderman game for PS4 was bundled, so many of those sales are included in that. This game wasn't bundled with the PS4 or PS5.
5. And speaking of the PS4, many people didn't know the game was out on the PS4. And that goes for people on GAF that talk about games weekly with strangers. Imagine how the average person how there thinks. They still probably think it's a PS5 only game.

*Also why are some people so obsessed with a "Woke" angle? It's weird to me.

mckmas8808

Oh fuck right off lol. I pointed out that I said "who the hell is this black guy" in the vein that because he was black it was clear from the start he wasnt Peter Parker, as opposed to just having a different face like original release vs remaster. The problem wasnt the color of his skin, it just showed clearly that it wasnt Peter, the problem is that its a different character, one for which I dont care, and it appears a lot of people dont also, based on sales. Stop playing the victim.

The sad part in all of this, is how you and other people of color fall into corpo's trap so easily. So instead of them making new and interesting caracters that are black, hispanic etc, they rehash old chars and you all just embrace it, without seeing how easily they please you with their half-assed attempt at making something for other demographics?? Unbelievable.

Aren't you the one playing "the victim" by your complaining? Why would I be a victim or playing one when nothing happened to me? I bought this game and loved it; like most of the people that played it. Also this movie has existed for years and it made about $400 Million.

spider-man-into-the-spider-verse.jpg

d6905853-1282-4a18-b5a9-2dda414ecf8a.sized-1000x1000.jpg

SpiderVerse_cropped.jpg

Top Bottom