• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

NickFire

*Also why are some people so obsessed with a "Woke" angle? It's weird to me.
Too many people going to extremes on pretty much anything these days. I understand and sometimes agree with people who think something was ruined with woke politics, no doubt. But the label (or whatever) seems to be getting applied to way more than I am comfortable with. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would think MM was used for political reasons. To me it seems obviously designed to mix things up and use a very popular alternative version of Spidey. He is very popular with the young crowd from my vantage point, my youngest included, and for one simple reason having nothing to do with politics. Its his age. Kids love kid superheroes. Its that simple.

Last edited:

smbu2000

High priced “expansion“ combined with a lesser known character probably had that effect.

MM may be well known in comic circles, but to casual fans or lapsed comic book fans they probably have no idea who MM is. Peter Parker is much more well known just because he’s been around much longer and is the main character in all of the live action movies from 2002 to the present day.

I read spiderman comics myself from the late 80s (started with Amazing Spiderman #300, symbiote/venom) through the 90s, but stopped reading comics and just watched the movies after that. I’d never heard of MM at all because I don’t follow comics anymore.
MM may be relatively popular (I’m guessing), but compared to PP he is a niche character.

mckmas8808

Banned
Too many people going to extremes on pretty much anything these days. I understand and sometimes agree with people who think something was ruined with woke politics, no doubt. But the label (or whatever) seems to be getting applied to way more than I am comfortable with. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would think MM was used for political reasons. To me it seems obviously designed to mix things up and use a very popular alternative version of Spidey. He is very popular with the young crowd from my vantage point, my youngest included, and for one simple reason having nothing to do with politics. Its his age. Kids love kid superheroes. Its that simple.

Plus he looks cool. His outfits match what kids in school where today. From Tim boots and bubble jackets, to Jordans; MM just fits today (as far as his look is concerned). The thing that confuses me the most about the "woke" complaints are that so far no one has tried to get rid of Peter Parker in order to pull MM off.

In the movie they introduce multiple dimensions to introduce MM. And in this game and the 1st one he's like a loose friend of Peters. MM looks up to him. He's kinda like Robin to Peter Parker's Batman. They even live in different parts of NYC.

Just to be clear here. I am saying that the game is NOT "woke", in my opinion, and that criticisms that the game is "woke" are misguided.

Yeah, that was clear to me also.

Last edited:

NickFire

Plus he looks cool. His outfits match what kids in school where today. From Tim boots and bubble jackets, to Jordans; MM just fits today (as far as his look is concerned). The thing that confuses me the most about the "woke" complaints are that so far no one has tried to get rid of Peter Parker in order to pull MM off.

In the movie they introduce multiple dimensions to introduce MM. And in this game and the 1st one he's like a loose friend of Peters. MM looks up to him. He's kinda like Robin to Peter Parker's Batman. They even live in different parts of NYC.

Yeah, that was clear to me also.
Maybe if they incorporate him into a live action movie people will better understand who he is and that he is not replacing PP at all. On a different but maybe related note, I just learned who Morbius is from reading an IGN article. I'm actually excited for that movie now. Before I actually knew who he was, all I knew was that I had no idea who he was, and that I had no interest in the movie because he wasn't part of the Avengers universe I knew about. I can see that being the same thing some people are hung up on with MM. They just don't know anything about him and assume the worst.

Yoda

As someone who doesn’t own the original but does own a ps5, the price vs. how long the game is was the main factor. I’ll get it when it’s at a discount because it’s obviously DLC Sony tried to package as another game.

Saruhashi

Banned
Maybe if they incorporate him into a live action movie people will better understand who he is and that he is not replacing PP at all. On a different but maybe related note, I just learned who Morbius is from reading an IGN article. I'm actually excited for that movie now. Before I actually knew who he was, all I knew was that I had no idea who he was, and that I had no interest in the movie because he wasn't part of the Avengers universe I knew about. I can see that being the same thing some people are hung up on with MM. They just don't know anything about him and assume the worst.

I thought it was interesting that Miles is known as the "other" Spider-man and that he is insecure about his abilities and his role etc.
The game has him starting off making a bit of a mess of the first scene but PP still believes in him.

Compare to most modern stuff where MM would be introduced as a Mary Sue who is somehow just better than PP in every way and this would be backed by a weird media campaign with articles moaning that anyone who doesn't like the new direction is just a hater or troll.

Plus the idea of heroes needing help or even retiring and needing a replacement is kind of an interesting angle on these kind of franchises that go on for so long.

If you look at the utter shambles of the Batwoman TV show and then compare to the Miles Morales game you can see that they are handling it well in the game.

I like the character and I think it's a shame that others don't but everyone has their own opinions so whatever.

Dthomp

I thought it was interesting that Miles is known as the "other" Spider-man and that he is insecure about his abilities and his role etc.
The game has him starting off making a bit of a mess of the first scene but PP still believes in him.

Compare to most modern stuff where MM would be introduced as a Mary Sue who is somehow just better than PP in every way and this would be backed by a weird media campaign with articles moaning that anyone who doesn't like the new direction is just a hater or troll.

Plus the idea of heroes needing help or even retiring and needing a replacement is kind of an interesting angle on these kind of franchises that go on for so long.

If you look at the utter shambles of the Batwoman TV show and then compare to the Miles Morales game you can see that they are handling it well in the game.

I like the character and I think it's a shame that others don't but everyone has their own opinions so whatever.

You're right about his introduction, but as he begins to kind of "get" his powers he seems way more OP then Spiderman could be. I'm not familiar with the comic series for him at all, so I don't know if the bio powers are true to the character or were added into this game just to be different.

He seems like an ok character, but as an older gamer, I'm sorry but PP will always be the true Spiderman to me, and is the one I'm most interested in thanks to having some great villians and side characters like Venom, Doc Oc, Mary Jane, etc. I was really disappointed by the "villians" in MM, they were pretty lame, ignoring that they decided to completely change the Tinkerer character from what he's always been, I guess that could be seen as more of this woke crap I guess. IDK.

Shmunter

You're right about his introduction, but as he begins to kind of "get" his powers he seems way more OP then Spiderman could be. I'm not familiar with the comic series for him at all, so I don't know if the bio powers are true to the character or were added into this game just to be different.

He seems like an ok character, but as an older gamer, I'm sorry but PP will always be the true Spiderman to me, and is the one I'm most interested in thanks to having some great villians and side characters like Venom, Doc Oc, Mary Jane, etc. I was really disappointed by the "villians" in MM, they were pretty lame, ignoring that they decided to completely change the Tinkerer character from what he's always been, I guess that could be seen as more of this woke crap I guess. IDK.
The whole added superpowers and gadgets bit is just way to out there for me, that includes the Peter Parker game. In MM you also get holograms that battle for you - common man! At least pretend like physics matter in the universe.

I like superhero’s and any sci fi stuff - but I needs it to be grounded in some way. Works in Batman, but not for Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I got my money’s worth out of Spider-Man Remastered from the Ultimate Edition. Been playing the hell out of it and got the platinum.

Finally get to boot up MM and I play a couple missions before realizing that I’m completely burnt out from this game.

I kinda wonder if people are excited for an elaborate expansion of the first game or did they get enough with the first game and it’s more famous cast?

leo-j

I’m waiting for an unlikely price cut. I assume they expect the game to sell with every ps5 they sell also. I want to get the complete edition but at a lower price than $69.

Kerotan

I’m waiting for an unlikely price cut. I assume they expect the game to sell with every ps5 they sell also. I want to get the complete edition but at a lower price than $69.
Same here. I don't want to pay extra for the remaster so I'm waiting for a price cut. Lots to play while I wait.

I bought it with the remaster. I would not have bought it separately, but together it was worth it since I bought the PS4 version for only $20. I ended up getting the MM with remaster for $40 new from someone on OfferUp after selling the one I got in a bundle.

yurinka

Sony said the original Spiderman sold 3.3 million units on launch weekend and said Morales sold 4.1M in a month and a half. According to Sony, the % of digital sales have been increasing over time during the recent years, specially now with the pandemic.

I think these Superdata numbers are total bullshit. Obviously the original game must have better sales than the spinoff, but not in that difference. And specially on digital sales.

TheMan

As a minority I really liked the idea of a minority spiderman and I came really close to buying this. But, I already owned the first spiderman, so I redownloaded it, played it for like 30 mins, and discovered that I wasn't really enthused to play a slightly better version of the same game. I figure it'll go on sale for 20 within a year. i'll be patient and go back to the first spiderman if the itch comes back in the meantime.

ethomaz

Banned
It was too expensive for what felt like an expansion.
I believe the reason is due the PS5 stock issues... people don’t want to play this game on PS4... just that.

You can see that the best selling version of the game is the PS5 one by a huge margin.

Said that the game probably sold 70% of what Spider-Man did in the same period and not 70% less.

It sold 4.1 million... original Spider-Man had to sell a bit less than 14 million in the same 1.5 months to OP be true lol

Last edited:
I believe the reason is due the PS5 stock issues... people don’t want to play this game on PS4... just that.

You can see that the best selling version of the game is the PS5 one by a huge margin.

Said that the game probably sold 70% of what Spider-Man did in the same period and not 70% less.

It sold 4.1 million... original Spider-Man had to sell a bit less than 14 million in the same 1.5 months to OP be true lol
I did my hot take before I got the facts... I Should work for CNN.

As a minority I really liked the idea of a minority spiderman and I came really close to buying this. But, I already owned the first spiderman, so I redownloaded it, played it for like 30 mins, and discovered that I wasn't really enthused to play a slightly better version of the same game. I figure it'll go on sale for 20 within a year. i'll be patient and go back to the first spiderman if the itch comes back in the meantime.
The minority report on Spiderman m.m.

MagnesG

Banned
Are the 4.5m number strictly for the remastered edition (original + mm) for $50 basic or with $20 DLC add on too?

Will revisit this thread in the future.

4.1 million in a month and change sold.

Talk about hot takes on sketchy data. It's alright, we all know there is a brigade crew always ready to pounce on PS exclusives not doing well sales wise.You gonna have to hold the L tho for this one (again).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Shame they wasted Miles on a DLC expansion.

It is a standalone expansion, not DLC. And it is hardly a waste. I'm about 3/4 the way through the game and it is a blast. These new spidey powers are awesome. The story is good, not great. But the game play....just incredible.

How much have you played?

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

No, it is about half the size of the original overall. The story a little under half.

How Long To Beat: Spider-Man
How Long To Beat: Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Thank you for clearing that up, in that case, alot of people have probably waited off because they perceive this as a PS5 title and don't want to pay full price for half of the original game.

I'll be probably playing this when i get my PS5 sometime this year when the first internal revision is available, I won't be paying more then 30 euro. I was thinking, I will try to start this gen by lacking behind and not buying games on the launch day anymore, if i play my games right, ill never have to pay full price again and hopefully have a better gaming experience at the same time.

Topher

Gold Member
Thank you for clearing that up, in that case, alot of people have probably waited off because they perceive this as a PS5 title and don't want to pay full price for half of the original game.

I'll be probably playing this when i get my PS5 sometime this year when the first internal revision is available, I won't be paying more then 30 euro. I was thinking, I will try to start this gen by lacking behind and not buying games on the launch day anymore, if i play my games right, ill never have to pay full price again and hopefully have a better gaming experience at the same time.

Well, it isn't full price at $50, but the fact it isn't a full sequel with Peter Parker as Spider-Man is definitely a factor. It is definitely worth waiting to play it on PS5 though so don't blame you there.

lefty1117

Gold Member
He doesn't seem a threat to Peter in my mind, he's really like Spiderman Junior and is sort of treated that way in both the way he messes up often and the scope of what he's involved in is not as grand or far reaching as what the 2018 game was. It's a good game, I enjoyed it, and I do like the character but moreso because they've managed to carve a niche for him to operate as a friendly neighborhood Spiderman in the Harlem area. I guess he can claim Brooklyn too. Definitely targeted towards the younger crowd, and you know what, that's just fine. If they would have tried to kill Peter off and replace him with a new version, that would have annoyed me. But I do like the character, he's pretty goofy.

K' Dash

It is a standalone expansion, not DLC. And it is hardly a waste. I'm about 3/4 the way through the game and it is a blast. These new spidey powers are awesome. The story is good, not great. But the game play....just incredible.

I agree the game is a blast, it's just that we won't get a full game with Miles now that we got this.

I hope I'm wrong

RGB'D

The length was a problem. I thought MM was a fantastic game, but it felt like there was way more meat on the bone and I won't lie and say I wasn't dissapointed that it ended as soon as it did. I think SONY needs to take a long hard look at pricing as if this should have been cheaper for the game length. Still a phenomenal game and makes me sad that spiderman 2 is likely far away. If the game was 15$ cheaper, I bet it would have moved a bunch more.

yeah my son played the hell out of Spiderman, this one he beat in just a couple days.

he likes the cat in the backpack though lol

yurinka

Are the 4.5m number strictly for the remastered edition (original + mm) for $50 basic or with $20 DLC add on too?
When they announce sales of a game it's full game sales on its different versions. DLC sales aren't included here.
In this case the number is 4.1M units sold for Spider-Man Miles Morales in around a month and a half (vs 3.3M of the original Spider-Man sold i the first weekend), so it includes both its standard (only MM) and ultimate (MM+dlc+remaster) editions and not its DLC (the $20 one/remaster).

Shame they wasted Miles on a DLC expansion.

Spider-Man Miles Morales isn't a DLC. It isn't an expansion. It's a standalone full game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The length was a problem. I thought MM was a fantastic game, but it felt like there was way more meat on the bone and I won't lie and say I wasn't dissapointed that it ended as soon as it did. I think SONY needs to take a long hard look at pricing as if this should have been cheaper for the game length. Still a phenomenal game and makes me sad that spiderman 2 is likely far away. If the game was 15$ cheaper, I bet it would have moved a bunch more.

Disagree. I just finished the game and the length is not a problem. If you leave a ton of content in the game untouched and stick only to the main campaign then I guess it would feel short. Why would anyone do that though? The gameplay is so good especially with the stealth elements that have been added. There is a ton of value in this $50 game.

Sales of this game are going to rise along with sales of PS5. I could have bought this game on PS4, but I waited until I got a PS5. That is going to be the case for the vast majority. 71% of the sales in the UK were on PS5. So most are obviously not willing to settle on the PS4 version. Even if that were not the case, as stated before, a standalone expansion isn't going to reach the hype of the first Spider-Man.

ethomaz

Banned
Is people still falling with the OP title even after it was proved bullshit with actual sales data?

Last edited:
Top Bottom