• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - Spoiler Thread

NahaNago

Pretty great movie. Had lots of nostalgic feels. I think I need to rewatch it cause I just straight up don't remember any music in the movie. I enjoyed seeing the three spidermen. I'd give this movie an 8/10. Although I did enjoy the movie quite a bit I kind of felt the acting and banter weren't as good as I would have liked. With the acting criticism I just felt like Tom Holland was not that great in his emotional dramatic scenes. He does the hectic emotional acting really well but I also find it annoying rather than amusing. The banter between the 3 spidermans were kinda weak in my opinion. Now I did like Tobey and Andrew's talks but Tom was kinda missing. I also would have liked more of the quips spiderman would say while fighting folks but used effectively by the group of spiderman while battling.

The fight scenes were great and the emotional nostalgia from seeing the other spidermen was great as well.

Like I said in the trailer thread , Aunt May being in the apartment with the super villains was stupid. Like really, your going to invite your enemies from other universes to where you live and not have your aunt stay somewhere else. Sandman was just stupid as well. Like why he keeps on working with the villains who want to stay in this universe.

I still think that spiderman 2 is still the best spiderman movie. The train scene and that death of doc oc.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I agree with comment about the music, it was way underplayed and lacked impact. I kept waiting for the 2000 spider-man theme to kick in, but if it did it was super subtle.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I agree with comment about the music, it was way underplayed and lacked impact. I kept waiting for the 2000 spider-man theme to kick in, but if it did it was super subtle.
Totally. It kicked in once or twice, but part of a new mix. I know they used it when Tobey cured Sandman. It just felt quickly shoved in. In my mind, they were going to use it while Tobey Spider-Man entered the scene or while he was doing some "save the day" stuff.

My shred of hope is that they are saving that for Raimi...but its starting to sound like Spider-Man isn't in Dr Strange 2.

Although, rumor is that Tobey not dying from being stabbed, was the product of a reshoot so they could use Tobey later, possibly for Secret Wars. That almost makes sense to me, because that fake out was awkward.

Also, they flipped the this movie and Dr Strange 2, schedule wise, and there are rumors that Tobey was going to be introduced in Dr Strange 2, which would make sense. I hope they found a new spot for him.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I want to start off with the negatives because I thought it was overall an awesome film.

Negatives:

- Green Goblin's first appearance ended very abruptly. I think many people were surprised by how quickly it ended.

- Tobey's acting seemed a bit off.

- I think the pacing before the final act was a bit too slow.

- The cobweb on the ceiling joke was just very corny.

Small Gripes:
- I wish the bridge scene with the Green Goblin lasted a bit longer or that he fought in his original costume for a bit longer.

- I wish the scene where Andrew Garfield saved MJ was extended just a bit to give it more of a dramatic feel to it.

Positives:
- Even though Matt Murdock made a small cameo, it was great.

- The fight scene between Doc Ock was great

- Love the mirror dimension scene with Dr. Strange and Spider-Man.

- Andrew and Tobey having their moments near the end with the villains in their universe was great.

- Tom is the less experienced Spider-Man, but it was mentioned during the film that he was able to organize the team because he was with the Avengers.

- Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe's performances were awesome.

- Tobey and Andrew being mentors to Tom was a nice touch.

Wishes:
- I wish we got a small glimpse of Andrew and Tobey in their universe. Maybe Andrew standing over Gwen's grave smiling and Tobey with MJ.

Overall, it was a great film and one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. Having enjoyed Spider-Man films since 2002, this just put everything full circle.

Ionian

I want to start off with the negatives because I thought it was overall an awesome film.

Negatives:

- Green Goblin's first appearance ended very abruptly. I think many people were surprised by how quickly it ended.

- Tobey's acting seemed a bit off.

- I think the pacing before the final act was a bit too slow.

- The cobweb on the ceiling joke was just very corny.

Small Gripes:
- I wish the bridge scene with the Green Goblin lasted a bit longer or that he fought in his original costume for a bit longer.

- I wish the scene where Andrew Garfield saved MJ was extended just a bit to give it more of a dramatic feel to it.

Positives:
- Even though Matt Murdock made a small cameo, it was great.

- The fight scene between Doc Ock was great

- Love the mirror dimension scene with Dr. Strange and Spider-Man.

- Andrew and Tobey having their moments near the end with the villains in their universe was great.

- Tom is the less experienced Spider-Man, but it was mentioned during the film that he was able to organize the team because he was with the Avengers.

- Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe's performances were awesome.

- Tobey and Andrew being mentors to Tom was a nice touch.

Wishes:
- I wish we got a small glimpse of Andrew and Tobey in their universe. Maybe Andrew standing over Gwen's grave smiling and Tobey with MJ.

Overall, it was a great film and one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. Having enjoyed Spider-Man films since 2002, this just put everything full circle.

That has me pretty hyped being honest. Do they really off the Green Goblin quickly? That sucks if true as he's easily one of the best next to Dr. Ock. Sandman was always bleugh for me. Same with Electro. Was never a fan of them in the comics, just bored me.

Still awesome they're all in it though. Nobody would have believed such a film could happen years ago, you'd be considered crazy for thinking it might.

Looking forward to this.

Any reference to Venom at all?

Last edited:

NickFire

That has me pretty hyped being honest. Do they really off the Green Goblin quickly? That sucks if true as he's easily one of the best next to Dr. Ock. Sandman was always bleugh for me. Same with Electro. Was never a fan of them in the comics, just bored me.

Still awesome they're all in it though. Nobody would have believed such a film could happen years ago, you'd be considered crazy for thinking it might.

Looking forward to this.

Any reference to Venom at all?
Since you asked, they did not off GG quickly at all. And stick around for mid credits if you want your Venom reference / scene.

Also 10/10. Best movie I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Ionian

No. He's the main villain.

Since you asked, they did not off GG quickly at all. And stick around for mid credits if you want your Venom reference / scene.

Also 10/10. Best movie I have seen in a long time.

Nah, he gets the most screen time out of all of the villains. You just barely see him in his 2002 Green Goblin mask.

Green Goblin gets the most screen time out of all the villains, followed by Doc Ock and Electro.

Yes, in the mid credit scene.

Dafoe killed it. Even my girlfriend, who had never seen the Raimi movies, turned to me in the cinema and said "wow, he's an amazing actor".

GOAT pre-MCU villain stays winning as GOAT MCU villain.

Ah I misread, I'm only just awake so whoops, apologies. Had a late night so still coming together.

Even more excited now! :D

Wasn't even a massive Green Goblin fan in the comics, he was fine and iconic but re-hashed so many times (like most characters really) but De Foe as him however was legendary. Such perfect casting.

Ionian

Yes but the Venom 2 credit scene was misleading. It made most people think that it was leading to a Hardy/Holland face-off. Andy Serkis even hinted at that with interviews at the time of Venom 2's release. But this credit scene removes Hardy from the MCU as fast as he arrived.
I'm still yet to watch that and I loved the first film for it's goofiness and I was a fan of Carnage growing up.

Even a brief appearance would have me seriously delighted.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yes but the Venom 2 credit scene was misleading. It made most people think that it was leading to a Hardy/Holland face-off. Andy Serkis even hinted at that with interviews at the time of Venom 2's release. But this credit scene removes Hardy from the MCU as fast as he arrived.
The more I think about it, the more I like it. Venom just kicking it and drinking at a bar is rather in charecter for that universe and is funny to me. He was there, so it was the Sinister Six... but he just like "F this, I'm going to drink and be merry" lol.

ManaByte

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Venom just kicking it and drinking at a bar is rather in charecter for that universe and is funny to me. He was there, so it was the Sinister Six... but he just like "F this, I'm going to drink and be merry" lol.

Well he was on vacation in Mexico when he jumped universes, so he was pretty far from NYC.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think I enjoyed Andrew Garfields scenes the most out of this. Him becoming bitter and rageful after Gwen's death is fitting and I'm sad we never got to see that in a third film from him.
I liked ASM2, didnt think it was great, but liked it, and was always sad didnt get more of him. It would be really nice if we see more of it him somehow... maybe in a future End Game like Avengers teamup film to save the multiverse?

ManaByte

I liked ASM2, didnt think it was great, but liked it, and was always sad didnt get more of him. It would be really nice if we see more of it him somehow... maybe in a future End Game like Avengers teamup film to save the multiverse?
Secret Wars. But it'll take 10 years or so to get there because you need Doom established to make it work.

Vestal

Gold Member
William Dafoe was absolutely BRILLIANT. Some structural issues from a movie perspective, but honestly I don't give a shit. It was everything that I had hoped for and more. The chatter back and forth between Parkers, the banter between all the villains, the fight scenes, everything was just so well done.. So many little nuggets from pretty much all of the Spider-man films coming together..

Bravo

PS... DAFOE WAS JUST TOO DAMN GOOD

Hoppa

Movie was great, Into the Spiderverse still tops it for me but it’s pretty close. Willem and Alfred were fantastic, Jamie was surprisingly bad and the other two might as well have been cut altogether - Sandman at least adds to the spectacle I guess.
Really love whenever they do those Dr.Strange ‘inception’ sequences, super trippy.
Good to see Daredevil - of the defenders I think he’s the only character I’d be interested to see more of. Tobey and Andrew were really good additions too they had a bigger part than I expected.

Emotional bits were lost on me to be honest. My problem with it is the reason for the spell fucking up is Peter talking. He’s young and naive but he’s not brash or impolite so the disruption of the magic felt a bit cheap. I feel like Strange would’ve had the thing clarified before casting too, especially since he knew how bad it could end up if it went wrong..

Couldn’t be bothered hanging around for the post credits stuff so I’ll just Google it

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great acting by both heroes and villains, looking back it’s such a rare movie where both heroes and villains left their souls on the big screen.

G-Bus

Banned
First movie since endgame where the audience cheered, multiple times.

I think Murdock showing up randomly like that was my favourite part in the whole movie. So badass.

Was good although a lot of it felt kind of forced. Expect better with then setting up plot points and what not . Like, strange or Peter aren't that dumb with the spell stuff. Nor would Peter be dumb enough to have may in the apartment with all those guys.

Not sure what to make of the end credits with Brock. They just acknowledging this a "shared" multiverse?

Miles Morales incoming?

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ned learning magic so easily while Strange took months to just assimilate the concept and make little sparks with his hands is, I think, the greatest scriptwriting shortcoming of any recent Marvel movie.

Other than that the suit at the end is really good, but I gave up for this Spider-Man, mostly because of John Watts.
Now I hope they give a chance to Miles Morales, with someone like Caleb McLaughlin or Miles Brown maybe?

Dafoe was the best part of this movie and felt like an actual villian
the halfway point of this movie when he fucks up spiderman and kills off mae is when it starts to drag a little bit but it picks up for the final fight

I was confused about the end credit scene....was he in Hollands spider man verse and got zapped out or is it something else?

Great Hair

Banned
A spiderman movie can be good? Last one was a boring turd. If we use the Thor trilogy as a barometer for entertainment, is the movie on the same level as Thor 1, 2 or 3?
I Dont Believe You Dr Strangelove GIF
Lying Cbs GIF by Paramount+

carl sagan head GIF
0wrOiWg.png

NahaNago

In Spider-Man 2 he loses his powers because he's sad. This was better. Time to throw away those nostalgia glasses.
eh , the train scene and the doc oct I'm not a monster scene was just too great and nothing in this movie came close to those moments for me. The best things in this No way home movie was seeing the Peter Parkers interact for the most part. The fights with most of the bad guys were simply alright. Even the last major one was just them swinging around half the time. I can't remember any interesting moves or trick plays in the battle. Like if all it took to subdue the lizard was some webbing then why didn't you do that in the beginning.

Did Lizard beat down dr. strange since his face was busted up when we see him in that basement?

Last edited:
This movie just highlighted how iconic the first trilogy's villains truly were. The Green Goblin and Doc Ock were by far the best ones in here and they knew about it. That scene when Tom's Spider Man is punching him in the hallway and he just smiles more and more suddenly felt like a different movie. That was amazing and felt like I was watching the first movie all over again.

That said, oddly it was Andrew that stole the show for me and Tobey felt a bit lost...even if almost cried when he showed up lmao.

When May said that sentence, I knew she was a goner tbh. Everyone screamed and cheered when she said that, plus when both Spider-Mans showed up and some other scenes.

I don't know what to think about that Venom scene though? Are they hinting someone else will play Venom in Tom Holland's movies?

Decent movie. The best tom Holland Spiderman.

So does the Venom teaser mean we will have Venom in the next Spiderman but not Tom Holland?

I never watched Andrew Garfields second Spiderman as the rating is abysmal BUT he is the best Spriderman in this movie by far.

Last edited:
I watched the movie yesterday night and I loved it. The theater was jam packed, people were cheering and applauding. My cousin's wife always falls asleep in movie theater's and for once she didn't, that's an accomplishment in and out of itself. My girl cried 3 times and my cousin and I had the biggest smile when it was all over. Amazing film.

Btw the Doctor Strange sequel looks sick, what a way to send everyone home.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I never watched Andrew Garfields second Spiderman as the rating is abysmal BUT he is the best Spriderman in this movie by far.
you missed the great payoff for Garfield after his tragic end in ASM2

honestly other than the poor villains, ASM2 is still a fun movie because of garfield. it’s worth a watch.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The movie was a snow-cone without the ice. Delicious but definitely imbalanced.

I didn’t like how much characters repeated dialogue from previous films. It takes you out of the world you’re trying to believe in. I did love the audacity of the concept and there were more highlights than I can shake a stick at.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
(Repost from the trailer thread)

Andrew Garfield is sweetest Spider-Man :messenger_relieved:❤️
I adore him.

andrew garfield flowers GIF

I loved the film and its fan service. I'm a sucker for stories with redemption arcs, and this one had MANY. One of my favorite scenes is where Garfield Spidey managed to save falling MJ because he was DAMN well never gonna mess that maneuver up ever again. :lollipop_crying:💙

I was happy to see Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock, too. :messenger_relieved:

ManaByte

you missed the great payoff for Garfield after his tragic end in ASM2

honestly other than the poor villains, ASM2 is still a fun movie because of garfield. it’s worth a watch.
ASM2 is saved by Garfield and Stone. They tell what is arguably the greatest Spider-Man story and they follow through with it.

A friend of mine always disliked how MJ survived the bridge in Raimi’s movie because if you’re gonna toss Peter’s girlfriend off a bridge, you better kill her. That’s where he learns what With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility means. In the comics he was getting cocky with his power. It wasn’t until his web killed Gwen that he really understood.

Top Bottom