• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - Spoiler Thread

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I really enjoyed it. Only real negative I had was with Sandman.

Was. Bit disappointed with the multiple universes thing not really getting much of a spotlight here, but I guess that is where Doc Strange 2 comes in? Who is the big eye ball? Will we see the “big bad” conquerer in this one or will it primarily be Wanda?

Kinda curious as Wanda and Loki both set up this creation of hte multiverse, so was Doc Strange just coincidentally doing everything at the same time as it was created? Or was it a combination of all 3 that ended up creating this massive multiversal creation?

Pagusas

Elden Member
How did Spider-Man easily whup Dr. Strange's ass? Can someone explain that one to me?
it’s rarely talked about but Spider-man is a young Tony Stark level of smarts, in the movie he out loud tells you he noticed doctor strangers mirror universe was using some geometric repeating pattern to work in the way it was, Peter used his fast math skills to surprise strange with an understanding of his orientation/direction and what strange was doing. strange thought he had Peter completely confused and trapping him, instead peter used that cockiness of Strange to surprise him and take advantage of his momentary confusion to steal his ring.

TLDR: he used his superior intelligence regarding math to out smart Strange once he knew how the mirror world was working.

also worth noting, strange obviously was using kitten gloves with him, neither wanted to hurt the other. pretty sure strange could have cut off his head had he really wanted to kill him. just like how Tony could have killed Cap easily in Civil War at the end, but didn’t because he didn’t want to.

Last edited:
I just have a hard time seeing one of the most OP characters in the Marvel Universe being beaten by someone that's much weaker, but I guess the surprise angle works given how cocky Strange is all the time.

(Repost from the trailer thread)

Andrew Garfield is sweetest Spider-Man :messenger_relieved:❤️
I adore him.

andrew garfield flowers GIF

I loved the film and its fan service. I'm a sucker for stories with redemption arcs, and this one had MANY. One of my favorite scenes is where Garfield Spidey managed to save falling MJ because he was DAMN well never gonna mess that maneuver up ever again. :lollipop_crying:💙

I was happy to see Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock, too. :messenger_relieved:
A redemption arc from a dead franchise no less. I almost cried. I used to say Tobey was the superior spider man but now I think it's Garfield. His Peter had so much heart I wish I could see more of him.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Tom Hardy no longer Venom?
It wouldn't really make sense, Tom Hardy's Eddie isn't really a Villain.
Even if Venom had a grudge, Eddie wouldn't allow it.
Maybe in Hollands universe Eddie is more prone to be a Villain.
Venom will be the same, but Eddie it maybe a different actor portraying him or it maybe Flash Thompson
Or it might just be Tom Hardy again but different because in from a different universe.
"People" are assuming too much.

VulcanRaven

Inevitable, if Tom Holland has 3 more movies, we won’t see a Miles live action Spidy film till 2028 at earliest
Also I'm not sure if they would do a live action movie with him right now because he is the main character in Into the Spider-Verse movies.

levyjl1988

Banned
Sony has to release The Amazing Spider-Man 3, it will continue off where Andrew Garfield's character returns to his universe and sets up that versions Sinister Six and hopefully this time he fights an Alien from Space.
Tobey Maguire fought Venom and Tom Holland fought Thanos and his army. Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man HAS to fight an alien in TAS3.

kunonabi

I never watched Andrew Garfields second Spiderman as the rating is abysmal BUT he is the best Spriderman in this movie by far.
Buy the blu-ray, chapter skip past the opening plane sequence, watch through the battle with Electro in Times Square, stop the movie.

There is some quality stuff with Gwen after that and one great scene with Aunt May but the rest is pure trash.

Sony has to release The Amazing Spider-Man 3, it will continue off where Andrew Garfield's character returns to his universe and sets up that versions Sinister Six and hopefully this time he fights an Alien from Space.
Tobey Maguire fought Venom and Tom Holland fought Thanos and his army. Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man HAS to fight an alien in TAS3.

Do you guys not get Spidered out? Lol

If anything have Andrew Garfield show up in Venom 3 and have the Venom Universe share the same universe as Amazing Spider-Man. Since Holland didn't leave Earth-199999 I don't see how he is going to go to another one, but this way Sony can have Spider-Man vs Venom in that universe.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Venom just kicking it and drinking at a bar is rather in charecter for that universe and is funny to me. He was there, so it was the Sinister Six... but he just like "F this, I'm going to drink and be merry" lol.

I don't recall venom ever having been in the sinister six, but if they're making their own them sure venom can be on the squad. As far as venom fighting Spidey, maybe there's a Eddie Brock in Hollands universe that the symbiote will bind with yet. Maybe it will even be Hardy 🤷

SafeOrAlone

Banned
In Spider-Man 2 he loses his powers because he's sad. This was better. Time to throw away those nostalgia glasses.
It's not nostalgia. There's just something special about Spider-Man 2. It feels human. It's the best at putting us down in the trenches with Peter Parker and feeling all the lows that come with that. The train scene is still one of the best action scenes in any comic adaption.

No Way Home is great but Spider-Man 2 is still the best imo.

Peter losing his powers because of his mental state is hardly offensive in a film like this. It works fine. You could poke plenty of holes in No Way Home, but it's still great as well.

How come Mary Jane didnt get pulled in....she knew peter parker was spiderman or green goblin jr for that matter. Anyway thought the movie was great...liked seeing lots of spidey villains in the sky. Movie made me like garfields spiderman. I hope now we get the terrifying bad guy venom weve never gotten on screen .

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Watched it earlier today. Really good film and probably the first time a Holland SM Movie felt like a Spiderman movie- at least the one I wanted to see. The others just felt off in various ways even if I liked them. Maybe the dude needed his Uncle Ben moment and Stark wasn't it for me.

I'm glad they realized most of their antagonists paled in comparison to Dafoe's Goblin and Osborne was once again the "main" in that regard when it came to tragedies and how they developed his character. Awesome way to handle it. I was worried Tobey and Garfield would only be in the movie for the last third but they ended up having the entire 2nd half to each other and some of the downtime conversations were great. It felt like closure for Garfield's Spiderman when he saved MJ, but not for Tobey's. I think we'll see them in Secret Wars but either way they clearly had fun doing this and was so happy to see those Peter's hug. The ending is not what I'm so sure on though. It felt a bit rushed and I think it focused on the wrong things.

SM2 is still unbeaten.

On an unrelated note, this movie did redeem Strange's character for me. I still think he's a prick for what he did in Endgame, but at least he does have a bit of a heart.

alife

How did Spider-Man easily whup Dr. Strange's ass? Can someone explain that one to me?
it’s rarely talked about but Spider-man is a young Tony Stark level of smarts, in the movie he out loud tells you he noticed doctor strangers mirror universe was using some geometric repeating pattern to work in the way it was, Peter used his fast math skills to surprise strange with an understanding of his orientation/direction and what strange was doing. strange thought he had Peter completely confused and trapping him, instead peter used that cockiness of Strange to surprise him and take advantage of his momentary confusion to steal his ring.

TLDR: he used his superior intelligence regarding math to out smart Strange once he knew how the mirror world was working.

also worth noting, strange obviously was using kitten gloves with him, neither wanted to hurt the other. pretty sure strange could have cut off his head had he really wanted to kill him. just like how Tony could have killed Cap easily in Civil War at the end, but didn’t because he didn’t want to.
In case anyone else was wondering, Peter was able to identify an Archimedean spiral within the mirror world that Dr. Strange had created.
wFZBZzW.png

sol_bad

Man, what an astounding film. It is easily the best Spidey film made, it tops Tobey Spidey 2 and Into the Spider-Verse.

Everything was great, everyone's acting was on point and the action scenes were great. Holland Spidey in this was brutal with his punches against Green Goblin.

I teared up at least 3 times, when May died, the conversation between the 3 Spidey's about great power and great responsibility and at the end when Holland Spidey was saying bye to Ned and MJ.

ManaByte ManaByte Now we can say 100% that Matt Murdock shows up. I cheered when he caught the brick. LOL

Chemistry between Holland and MJ was next level. Easily the best relationship in the Spidey movies now. The ending makes it heartbreaking.

People asking about how multiverse works between this and Loki. IMO the Loki show didn't create the multiverse, it was always there. In Endgame they are traveling to other realities when "time travelling". It's just that in Loki we learn the TVA has been controlling the different realities.

I also note that people have said that this movie proves that the Raimi films have the superior villains. IMO this movie just knows how to use these villains and make them even better than they are in the Raimi films. In No Way Home they feel like layered characters where as in the Raimi films they feel like one note villains.

Finally I loved all of the banter between the Spidey's. I fucking hated Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 but this movie redeems Andrew Garfield as Spidey.

God damn, Aunt May's delivery of "great power, great responsibility" is the best delivery of all the movies.

Fuuuuck, excited for Doctor Strange 2 and Shuma Gorath.

*EDIT*
oh yeah
I'm really happy that the MCU will get it's own version of Venom. I thought we were going to be stuck with Tom Hardy version which is blergh.

Love his new suit at the end, that he made himself. HAH!

Last edited:

SegaShack

Theres way too much comedy in this movie. Every serious moment was interrupted by a dumb joke with pause for audience laughter. Good set up and the old Spidermans returning had so much potential but it's done just for them to joke around 90% of the time.

NahaNago

I kind of want to continue both Tobey and Andrew's spiderman's now. Like what if we continued Tobey's but with dealing with his daughter who has super powers.

I'm still wondering who is Tom Hardy's spiderman?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Started to listen to the break down of this movie and wow, they made Dr. Strange an idiot who's also going to erase his own memory. Also why would he put the universe at stake for a few criminals? Also his power level really gets messed up with his universe changing spells. An interesting point gets brought if he can't just erase the memory of his enemies to turn them inerd.

Dr. Strange says the spell pulled people into this dimension because they know Spidey's identity but the movie contradicts that with Electro. 🤷‍♀️

Wong being the protector of the universe knows the spell is dangerous but lets Dr. Strange cast it anyway is also bad writing.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Tom Hardy goes back to which universe? I through he existed in the MCU? His movies reference Tom Holland Spider-Man….

I know Venom is another studio but the acknowledgment of Tom Holland Spider-Man in the Venom films makes the part of the same universe right?

sol_bad

Tom Hardy goes back to which universe? I through he existed in the MCU? His movies reference Tom Holland Spider-Man….

I know Venom is another studio but the acknowledgment of Tom Holland Spider-Man in the Venom films makes the part of the same universe right?

At the end of Venom 2 he is teleported to the MCU reality.
At the end of No Way Home he is teleported back to his original reality but leaves a bit of symbiot behind.

ManaByte

Started to listen to the break down of this movie and wow, they made Dr. Strange an idiot who's also going to erase his own memory. Also why would he put the universe at stake for a few criminals? Also his power level really gets messed up with his universe changing spells. An interesting point gets brought if he can't just erase the memory of his enemies to turn them inerd.

Dr. Strange says the spell pulled people into this dimension because they know Spidey's identity but the movie contradicts that with Electro. 🤷‍♀️

Wong being the protector of the universe knows the spell is dangerous but lets Dr. Strange cast it anyway is also bad writing.

Maybe it's time to stop letting YouTube form your movie opinions and actually watch a movie.

BaneIsPain

I loved it especially it seems soft restart for mcu spider-man. This time I'm sold on Tom Holland as Parker. I always think he is an average spidey and parker.
The nostalgia factor definitely gave in 9/10 but without it, I'll give it 8.5/10.
The only thing I don't like is the typical mcu quip and maybe too much MJ and Ned unnecessary scene.

ahh, what I would give to see the Amazing Spider-Man 3.

Ulysses 31

Maybe it's time to stop letting YouTube form your movie opinions and actually watch a movie.
I have no opinion if the movie is good or bad since I haven't watched it yet, I'm usually interested how well movies are written and if it puts characters on the altar.

A not so well written movie can still be enjoyable.

I loved it especially it seems soft restart for mcu spider-man. This time I'm sold on Tom Holland as Parker. I always think he is an average spidey and parker.
The nostalgia factor definitely gave in 9/10 but without it, I'll give it 8.5/10.
The only thing I don't like is the typical mcu quip and maybe too much MJ and Ned unnecessary scene.

ahh, what I would give to see the Amazing Spider-Man 3.

From the start I've been so disappointed in "stark tech Spidey." I fully expected the "training wheels" to come off by the end of homecoming but he just got a better set. Finally he at least looks like he may have found his way to classic spidey. And with no one knowing who he is we don't have to worry about him getting more stark tech.

trikster40

Can we just sit back and appreciate that we live in a time where a movie like this can even exist? Imagine the obstacles and lengths that Sony/Marvel went through to make this happen.

Seeing all 3 Spider-Men on screen, teaming up, talking about their respective unversed and adventures, this is the stuff we could only begin to dream about.

They could have easily done the movie, just recast the villains, made up other Spideys, and called it a day. Bravo, Sony Pictures.

Ithink my only complaint is that they seemed to just skip right over the legal troubles. It went from “Spidey is in major trouble” to “Nah, you’re good!”

Last edited:

Sybrix

Can we just sit back and appreciate that we live in a time where a movie like this can even exist? Imagine the obstacles and lengths that Sony/Marvel went through to make this happen.

Seeing all 3 Spider-Men on screen, teaming up, talking about their respective unversed and adventures, this is the stuff we could only begin to dream about.

I agree, i used to love the Spiderman TV series that ran from 1994 to 1998, to me that was the peak of superhero cartoons.

Spider-Man No Way Home was the live action version of that show.

The array of villains, crossing universes, the action scenes, the different characters interacting with each other is something i thought only existed in drawings rather than live action movies.

No Way Home is the best Spiderman movie since Spiderman 2, no doubt.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

have you seen the movie or are you just listening to click bait youtubers?

Ulysses 31

have you seen the movie or are you just listening to click bait youtubers?
How is a breakdown of the movie clickbait and me having watched the movie or not relevant to hear their takes?

They're full of praise of the movie except that Dr. Strange sticks out like a sore thumb.
He admits a few posts above that he hasn’t seen it. He did the same thing with Shang-Chi with the same YouTube account.
They brought up plenty of usual MCU failings which aren't so much present in this movie.

ManaByte

How is a breakdown of the movie clickbait and me having watched the movie or not relevant to hear their takes?

Just like their Shang-Chi video you kept referencing in the Shang-Chi thread, they deliberately misrepresent things so people who didn't see the movie get the wrong idea about it.

Ulysses 31

Just like their Shang-Chi video you kept referencing in the Shang-Chi thread, they deliberately misrepresent things so people who didn't see the movie get the wrong idea about it.
You seem to forget that they did it live and they would've been called out by chat and superchats if they did that. Especially a movie as popular as this one.

Cocksman

so do we have any insider knowledge what is planned for Daredevil? He’s obviously going to appear in Echo but is he being set up for his own movie or is he Disney plus bound?

And kinda disappointed we won’t get Tom Hardy in the MCU . Those movies are largely trash but Hardy is kinda fun to watch. Would have liked to see him and Holland work together .

Last edited:

Cocksman

And how did Eddie Brock get transported back to his universe? I thought the spell only effected people who know Peter Parker ?

Ulysses 31

And how did Eddie Brock get transported back to his universe? I thought the spell only effected people who know Peter Parker ?
Venom 2 drops a hint that the symbiont has knowledge of other universes. Only reason I can come up with unless Dr. Strange is straight up wrong.

Shouldn't you be asking this from Electro too btw? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
this movie is great. loved the support for Garfield. i don't care what people say Garfield movies had the best webswing, just now got dethroned by this movie.

Cocksman

Did Peter’s new “homemade” suit at the end still have expressive eyes? I hope they don’t go back on those at least

Top Bottom