• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man

The greatest Spider-Man movie is...

• Spider-Man

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Spider-Man 2

Votes: 85 55.6%
  • Spider-Man 3

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • The Amazing Spider-Man

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ok this is now a Kung Pow thread.

Kung Pow Asian GIF

Animated GIF

Reaction GIF

song beware GIF

UnNamed

Banned
Homecoming by far.

Holland is the perfect Peter Parker from the comics, not the just too old Mcguire, not the just too cool Garfield. Talky and a little bit annoying.

Homecoming is good because it's not an origin story, we already have Spiderman, his responsibility, the many things he lost for that. We have everything without having to retell the story again and again. Zendaya is terrific in that movie.

GymWolf

So many people voting for the most disappointing spider-man.

Spider-man 2 was so bad for so many reasons. Why does anyone think it was good? Doc Ock’s arms got you all in a trance too?
As opposed to what? The shitty modern ones with depressed mary jane and nerd flash thompson? or the garfields combo that no one gives a fuck about?!

Spider-verse is better than all the live action Marvel flicks put together.
Spider-Man 2 and Doc Ock easily take the number 2 spot.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Spider-Man 2 followed by Spider-Man.

2 iconic villains performed by iconic actors; Doc Oc and Green Goblin.

The rest are ok/fun flicks but none of the villains hold up for me. Big chasm between those 2 films and the rest.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Medical? Spiderman powers are space magic, nobody has any idea how they work even in the comics, the idea of his powers being tied to his will makes as much sense as the powers themselves.
Suspension of disbelief. I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story when it comes to him getting bitten with a general sci-fi explanation that’s at least in the ballpark. So, Spider-man’s powers are not space magic because they are rooted in science fiction not fantasy like Star Wars is.

But then they introduce something that has no roots in science fiction- basically introduce space magic- in Spider-Man 2, and then offer no explanation and expect you to trust them (the filmmakers).

It was when Peter went to see Dr Connors and Dr Connors didn’t question anything about his secret identity and instead gave him that bullshit moral speech that my suspension of disbelief snapped like a rubber band and I “noped the hell out”.

Apparently people like mixing science fiction with space magic and not being given an explanation as to why that major plot point exists because I mean, look at the poll results.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RIHCTjV.jpg

Followed by Spider-Man 2002, then TASM

and in defence of TASM I leave this here.
It truly is underrated

Last edited:

Keihart

Suspension of disbelief. I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story when it comes to him getting bitten with a general sci-fi explanation that’s at least in the ballpark. So, Spider-man’s powers are not space magic because they are rooted in science fiction not fantasy like Star Wars is.

But then they introduce something that has no roots in science fiction- basically introduce space magic- in Spider-Man 2, and then offer no explanation and expect you to trust them (the filmmakers).

It was when Peter went to see Dr Connors and Dr Connors didn’t question anything about his secret identity and instead gave him that bullshit moral speech that my suspension of disbelief snapped like a rubber band and I “noped the hell out”.

Apparently people like mixing science fiction with space magic and not being given an explanation as to why that major plot point exists because I mean, look at the poll results.
If you wanna get picky about it, Peter gaining super powers from a radioactive super soldier spider is a bigger jump in space magic than him suppressing some gene expression with his mood.
Gene expression is not completely understood but is know to be affected by behavior, not only that , but the way you live will even affect the genes that are passed on to your offspring.

Also, when i mentioned space magic i was making a reference to the actual full origin of spiderman powers at the times of the movies, which involved actual magic and destiny forces and shit like that.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
If you wanna get picky about it, Peter gaining super powers from a radioactive super soldier spider is a bigger jump in space magic than him suppressing some gene expression with his mood.
Gene expression is not completely understood but is know to be affected by behavior, not only that , but the way you live will even affect the genes that are passed on to your offspring.

Also, when i mentioned space magic i was making a reference to the actual full origin of spiderman powers at the times of the movies, which involved actual magic and destiny forces and shit like that.
You’re explanation for losing his powers was better than the one they gave in the movie (which was no explanation).

His origins weren’t space magic. There was a plausible scientific explanation given in the first movie when the scientist lady is talking to the students. The biggest leap of faith the audience had to make was accepting the fact that a spider can give you powers and not make you sick and kill you.

I don’t know where you are getting space magic from. What superhero movies were they prevelsnt in 15 years ago?

Last edited:

Keihart

You’re explanation for losing his powers was better than the one they gave in the movie (which was no explanation).

His origins weren’t space magic. There was a plausible scientific explanation given in the first movie when the scientist lady is talking to the students. The biggest leap of faith the audience had to make was accepting the fact that a spider can give you powers and not make you sick and kill you.

I don’t know where you are getting space magic from. What superhero movies were they prevelsnt in 15 years ago?
I meant the comics, it's been referenced that the real origin of Spiderman's powers are mystical or some shit like that so that it makes more sense since the spider dna angle is so far fetched to give him his abilities.
I think that getting hanged up on Peter's will affecting his powers is ridiculous if you can accept a spider bite made him able to climb buildings and resist the forces of a web swing.

Last edited:
SM1 vs. 2 is really tough. They nailed the origin and Willem Dafoe absolutely killed it as Green Goblin.

SM2 is arguably the best cape flick ever made, though. Just absolutely fantastic.

Into the Spider-Verse is easily 3.

Amory

I don't think any of them are particularly incredible movies. There are a lot of modern MCU films I'd rather watch.

But the first Maguire film set a new standard for what a superhero movie should be. Spider-Man 2 is arguably a better plot, but the first is more influential. Plus, Willem Dafoe.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I meant the comics, it's been referenced that the real origin of Spiderman's powers are mystical or some shit like that so that it makes more sense since the spider dna angle is so far fetched to give him his abilities.
I think that getting hanged up on Peter's will affecting his powers is ridiculous if you can accept a spider bite made him able to climb buildings and resist the forces of a web swing.
I didn’t actually know that and I read Marvel comics back then. Evolving origin stories are not uncommon in comics, but they’re usually a bad idea.

That being said if it was only that plot point that was my hang up, I wouldn’t mind. But, it’s one problem among many and it’s not even the main one.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
You have to hand it to Sam Raimi. Those first three Spider-Man movies are easily the greatest superhero films made to date

Almost every scene in the first Spider-Man is a classic

Cutty Flam

Banned
Still need to watch Tom Holland's work as Spider-Man. Interested to see how he compares, some have told me he's great

Although Raimi's first two Spider-man movies were better movies overall, ASM was elevated primarily because of Andrew Garfield (best Peter Parker by a country mile) and his incredible chemistry with Emma Stone.

In fact, despite the fact that ASM2 was an utter shit movie, Andrew and Emma's Chemistry is the only thing that makes the whole shallow episode watchable.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Suspension of disbelief is a fickle mistress.

I was thinking about Venom the other day, and one of my hang-ups with that film, is the way the symbiote so casually speaks the English language, slang and all, with no explanation. Even to the extent of metaphors like "turd in the wind".

I can handle Peter getting powers from a radioactive spider, but not that.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hey Cutty Flam Cutty Flam , you left some out:

Spider-Man

Spider-Man Strikes Back

Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge

Top Bottom