• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Lore Update: Squid Sister Stories (Look What You Did Marie Fans!)

atr0cious

I don't know what this means but Marie fans have been in denial since before undertale was released.
What's there to be in denial about, she won the popular vote and win total, Callie fans just didn't like us saying what we know now to be true. That Marie is the best

DKL

I'm not saying anything, but I'm waiting for the day for Callie fans to rise up.

It's gonna happen.

Madao

I should probably point out that most of Marie's snark comes from the localization; in Japanese she's mostly just a less energetic version of Callie from what I've seen. She does play the straight man to Callie's antics sometimes though which is probably where the idea to give her more sass in English came from.

can't wait for people to be let down by the sequel's story thanks to the localization.

didn't the Paper Mario series go through this? the original JP scripts were pretty dry and that's why Miyamoto was ok with ditching story for the later games but since the localization was a lot better, it ended up hurting them in the west once they ditched the story.

RedFyn

Callie won the most splatfests 27-21.

can't wait for people to be let down by the sequel's story thanks to the localization.

didn't the Paper Mario series go through this? the original JP scripts were pretty dry and that's why Miyamoto was ok with ditching story for the later games but since the localization was a lot better, it ended up hurting them in the west once they ditched the story.
The story is a big part of the game. It's not going away.

atr0cious

Callie won the most splatfests 27-21.
Don't act like you don't know that this wasn't because of the choices given. You could usually tell who the casual audience was gonna vote for, so it was always better to go against it. And Marie won the one that mattered the most.

Nanashrew

Banned
Don't act like you don't know that this wasn't because of the choices given. You could usually tell who the casual audience was gonna vote for, so it was always better to go against it. And Marie won the one that mattered the most.

Decepticons winning splatfest was among the best.

atr0cious

Decepticons winning splatfest was among the best.
36prJrM.gif

RedFyn

So Marie is the casuals champion. Ok. So from that we can deride that it's Marie's fans fault for moray towers being selected for the final splatfest. I don't know about you but that's not something I'd be proud of.

60% of Callie fans were fair weather fans and were only in it to win Splatfest, they were never in it for Callie herself or what she likes.
So Marie is the casuals champion, Callie is the best, and there's a bunch of people that will pick Callie over Marie in order to win.

60% of Callie fans were fair weather fans and were only in it to win Splatfest, they were never in it for Callie herself or what she likes.

J@hranimo

Banned
So Marie is the casuals champion. Ok. So from that we can deride that it's Marie's fans fault for moray towers being selected for the final splatfest. I don't know about you but that's not something I'd be proud of.

Don't lump me in with the rest of the playerbase with garbage map preference!

Crayolan

Moray Towers is a good map if you play stealthy and sneak into the enemy base. You can mindgame the fuck out of people near the enemy spawn.

atr0cious

Lot of alternate facts in this post. Also, turf Moray is cool and good, not it's fault people don't leave the ramps.

Kaban

I really enjoyed the verticality of Moray Towers initially, but after playing it several times, it felt too linear.

Walleye Warehouse and Museum D'Alfonsino are my faves.

Bluefin Depot is least favourite but eh, I still enjoy it.

For me, even if wall climbing is one of the neater things about Splatoon, dealing with high and wide walls isn't fun. There's not a lot one can do while climbing, one is also extremely vulnerable while climbing, and if the wall gets high enough such that very few weapons can reach above the wall, then that's really bad. And as a rapid blaster main, I tend to cover walls very slowly compared to shooters, so high and wide vertical surfaces are doubly bad for me.

(But as a means of ambushing an enemy or an alternative means of maneuvering, wall climbing is awesome. Even if Kraken isn't coming back for Splatoon 2, I'm hoping there'll be another special that lets one paint and move along walls the same way.)

High drop downs are also a nasty penalty to work around. Even if one technically has high ground, dropping down with no way back up and few ways to maneuver is incredibly risky. The higher the drop down, the more time enemies have to watch you fall and either snipe you out of the air or leave a bomb under you. Basically the problems of having a predictable jump arc, except now with bonus time for enemies.

Most of the maps mentioned earlier have these kinds of traits:

Moray Towers has a lot of wall climbing but also features very high drop downs. Thankfully the new side areas give more room to maneuver, such that the most immediate way into mid isn't by dropping down into open view. Although the high drop down is most useful for snipers in mid, the high drop downs on the rest of the map are actually quite awkward for them.

Flounder Heights has really high and really wide structures, such that a majority of weapons in the game have trouble contesting the high areas from the street. There are other ways into mid besides the wall and ramp, but only the right side of your base (which also happens to be a drop down) is a realistic way out if the enemy controls the mid strip and the wall directly in front of your base.

Bluefin Depot has mandatory wall climbing and very few obstacles in mid. The fact that the walls are the only way out of the pits makes it easy to lock down a lot of movement.

Saltspray Rig has high drop downs as the only ways out of spawn, and most of the fighting after that takes place on narrow walkways going up hill.

Top Bottom