• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Maengun1

I'm always taken by surprise when Splatfests end on Sunday morning. I wish they would last the entire weekend.

Yeah I don't get why Splatfests aren't 48 hours/an entire weekend? As is they're so brief. And if you wanna get to king/queen max in one day you really have to just cancel all your other plans and camp in the game nonstop it feels like. An extra day would really take the pressure off while still being a rare event.

Either that or change it so a loss match isn't QUITE so punishing compared to a win.

Just had a really weird turf war game where all seven other people seemed to be friends because they were just hanging out in a corner of the map doing nothing? (From both teams). Most ended the game with under 300 points.

And made the mistake of staying in that lobby where they're doing the same thing again.

Wait there's no where to report players? The fuck is going on with this game

Also getting tons of AFK people. What's happening with multiplayer right now? Might stay away from this if it's all turning to shit

Just had a really weird turf war game where all seven other people seemed to be friends because they were just hanging out in a corner of the map doing nothing? (From both teams). Most ended the game with under 300 points.

And made the mistake of staying in that lobby where they're doing the same thing again.

Can you stay with the same people in the same lobby?

I noticed that in Splatoon 2 every time a match ends you get paired with different people. Are there any ways to change that? I remember in the first Splatoon once you were in a lobby you'd be there until you quit or you got disconnected, but in this game playing with the same people seemed almost impossible...

TCTF Agent

Neo Member
Can you stay with the same people in the same lobby?

I noticed that in Splatoon 2 every time a match ends you get paired with different people. Are there any ways to change that? I remember in the first Splatoon once you were in a lobby you'd be there until you quit or you got disconnected, but in this game playing with the same people seemed almost impossible...

Isn't it also because there's more reasons to pop out of a lobby now? Between seeing Murch for gear scrubbing, food carts, or even (still...) needing to switch gear there's more that can be done. Even someone being late to say continue might affect their lobby placement, particularly in regular turf wars. Still it would be nice to see more of the same faces in lobbies.

ChrisD

Yeah I don't get why Splatfests aren't 48 hours/an entire weekend? As is they're so brief. And if you wanna get to king/queen max in one day you really have to just cancel all your other plans and camp in the game nonstop it feels like. An extra day would really take the pressure off while still being a rare event.

Either that or change it so a loss match isn't QUITE so punishing compared to a win.

Two day Splatfests are too long -- Losses really do just need to be worth more. 4 at the very least. I was getting 9 points per win. Or in other words, two wins is equivalent to nine losses. Six minutes of game time compared to twenty-seven minutes. That's almost half an hour! Nine wins (81 points) would almost get me all the way through Fanboy (10), Fiend (25), and Defender (50)... whereas if you lose, that same amount of time won't even fill Fiend out.

It's ridiculous.

And I'm saying this as someone who only had three losses out of sixteen rounds (sadly couldn't Queen due to other obligations...). Nothing feels more like a waste of time than a Splatfest loss. You gain nothing.

Biggest stupidity is still that Splatfests can't be duo-queued. It's so difficult getting three friends together, but two of them are often available. If we could duo that'd be awesome, but alas.

Doorman

Two day Splatfests are too long -- Losses really do just need to be worth more. 4 at the very least. I was getting 9 points per win. Or in other words, two wins is equivalent to nine losses. Six minutes of game time compared to twenty-seven minutes. That's almost half an hour! Nine wins (81 points) would almost get me all the way through Fanboy (10), Fiend (25), and Defender (50)... whereas if you lose, that same amount of time won't even fill Fiend out.

It's ridiculous.

And I'm saying this as someone who only had three losses out of sixteen rounds (sadly couldn't Queen due to other obligations...). Nothing feels more like a waste of time than a Splatfest loss. You gain nothing.

I've railed on this about Splatfests since back in the first game, how different the time expenditure is between people who win and people who lose. Basically it means that if your goal is to reach max rank, the system is designed in such a way that the players who suck the most will typically be playing longer than people who are good, win their way to King/Queen, and cut bait. Increasing the points you gain from winning in the higher ranks was nice in the first game in speeding things up, but again...it's still only more convenient if you win much more than you lose. I've always found the general feeling of Splatfests to be more demoralizing than exhilarating because losing not only feels like you're hurting your team (and thus hurting the potential for you to get more snails), but also means you know you're going to have to play that much more now. Splatfest isn't fun.

Ah well, it's over again for now and the special Salmon shift is nearly over, so it'll be back to the usual. Time to get back on that solo ranked grind I guess.

I don't care how geeky this is, just got the email that this had been reprinted and I had to order it immediately:

12251235_567cb96a8d4da.jpg

Judd retro sweatshirt

ss-hikaru

Biggest stupidity is still that Splatfests can't be duo-queued. It's so difficult getting three friends together, but two of them are often available. If we could duo that'd be awesome, but alas.

Agreed. I don't even care if they chuck two duos against a quad team (don't they do this with league already anyway?). The participation barrier is too high and as a result there aren't enough groups in team mode. Tried with some friends for Vampire/Werewolf and we got managed to get 3 games in around 15 attempts, two which were against the same team. And they were all mirror matches. Thought it might be because we were AU trying to play at US bedtime but tried much later on and couldn't get a match at all. Resorted to the Splatoon 1 method of trying to join solo at the same time to try get in the same lobby :p At least this way we mostly managed to get with at least one other friend and managed to get all 4 in one lobby twice.

Koren

Also getting tons of AFK people. What's happening with multiplayer right now?
I'm almost 100% sure that most of the time, it's not players that don't play but netcode that split them. I've had a lot of "unstable connection" yesterday, I even suspect there was something with the last update (I never got a single unstable connection in SR before yesterday)

Don't be too quick to put it on players when Nintendo has its part on it.

Editmode makes cool stuff. I have 3 t-shirts from them (Zelda and Mario) and the quality is great!

Yep, I personally have the following from them:

2x Splatoon shirts (Logo & Anchor)
1 Mother 3 (Ultimate Chimera)
1 Legend of Zelda (25th Anniversary)
1 Legend of Zelda parka (20th Anniversary)

Well worth the premium you pay for them as the quality is amazing.

maouvin

Isn't it also because there's more reasons to pop out of a lobby now? Between seeing Murch for gear scrubbing, food carts, or even (still...) needing to switch gear there's more that can be done. Even someone being late to say continue might affect their lobby placement, particularly in regular turf wars.

Yup, that's pretty much it. Sometimes in turf wars I get 3 or 4 straight matches with the same seven other people (less than that is obviously way more frequent), but eventually someone will leave to change gear and stuff. Kinda like Overwatch's quick play.

Which is why I believe the (turf war) matchmaking just do it's matching thing to get 8 players in a lobby, and from there it just randomizes them into the teams every match. So play enough and those 4 ttek vs 4 roller matches will become a better balanced 2/2 vs 2/2.

I've railed on this about Splatfests since back in the first game, how different the time expenditure is between people who win and people who lose. Basically it means that if your goal is to reach max rank, the system is designed in such a way that the players who suck the most will typically be playing longer than people who are good, win their way to King/Queen, and cut bait. Increasing the points you gain from winning in the higher ranks was nice in the first game in speeding things up, but again...it's still only more convenient if you win much more than you lose. I've always found the general feeling of Splatfests to be more demoralizing than exhilarating because losing not only feels like you're hurting your team (and thus hurting the potential for you to get more snails), but also means you know you're going to have to play that much more now. Splatfest isn't fun.
Ah! That explains it!
I was always wondering why the more popular team seemed to lose more frequently, but the 'home' games are probably feeding the better players causing them to hit max rank and peace out without encountering the opposing team much.
I always stayed in and helped my side out in splatfests after hitting max, but I just enjoy playing splatoon in general anyhoo: the meta stuff is just extra to me :p

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I've transcended humanity yesterday with a 15 games winning streak in Ranked.

I'm a squid now.

Branduil

Holy crap that has to be one of the all-time comebacks I just experienced:

Literally everything in red in the middle did not exist until the last 20 seconds. They had us on the fucking ropes the whole game, I mean the kill count comparison almost tells the whole story by itself. They just made one critical mistake in the final minute, all 4 of them completely pushed into our spawn, I went above them on the left and took a couple out while my teammates took the rest for a total team wipe. From there it was a mad dash as all 4 of us rushed across the map in the last 30 seconds, I stopped to launch my tenta-missiles which fortunately took out 2 squids who had just respawned, and I killed one more outside of their spawn before the last one inked me in the last 5 seconds.

I guess the lesson, as always, is never get too greedy. They had the game completely won, if they just sit back in the open area past the chokepoints into spawn there's zero chance we come back.

Doorman

Remember when people said Pearl would never win a Fest because Marina is so hot?

good times
That was always a dumb take. But then again, the waifu wars aspect of the two pop duos has always been wonky to me.

Feels like it's gonna be a salty solos kind of evening. I haven't put the time into ranked yet and it leads to annoyingly low letter grades.

Koren

Ok, I take back what I said, sploosh o matic is another inking monster... I just have to train more, I'm noticeably down compared to Aerospray.

Still, your score is impressive

I guess the ideal setup is 3 vs 4 with good inkers in opponents but bad 1 vs 1, and bad inkers in your own team... Doesn't happens often.

Koren

Stupid question... Did the last update changed the netcode? Or matchmaking?

Because I get disconnected even more often, and I'm not alone. In my last 6 matches, I've yet to see a 4 vs 4 till the end...

Ok, that's stupid

10 games: 2 disconnection, 4 4vs3 wins, 3 3vs4 losses, 1 3vs4 win (!)

100% unreliable.

Congratulations, they managed to make it worse than S1, ranking up is a matter of ping (since you'll crack only on disconnection, because losses won't count)

Just started playing and I have to say I'm not feeling the controls. Coming off the Wii U game the right joycon stick placement feels as awkward as fuck to look around while aiming and moving.

Salmon Run guns are pretty bad IMO. They give the illusion of being good but they're all incredibly slow rate-of-firing so it takes forever to get good ink anywhere so you spend 65% of the game walking through enemy ink.

-shadow-

Remember when people said Pearl would never win a Fest because Marina is so hot?

good times
I remember when I said I'd never support Pearl because she's terrible, but then it turned out Marina has terrible taste...
I got close one time.
Kelp Dome and the Aerospray in the original was a terrific combination to easily reach 3000. Don't know if it still counts for this game, especially with the nerf.

boiled goose

good with gravy
In the grand scheme it's a somewhat small one, but there is an incentive system in place to try out different weapons in the form of the Turf War vibe meter. It's a bit like in the first game, where wins and losses would give and take away points, but unlike S1 where higher vibe gives you a small per-rotation cash bonus from Judd, hitting vibe milestones at +5, +10, and +15 with any weapon will give bonus experience. This is also how you build up the little colored flags that show up on every weapon, so you can keep track of how good of a winning streak you've had with every weapon in your catalog. Not earth-shattering, but it's something.

As for Salmon Run, the points that are doled out at the end are given based on how many power eggs and golden eggs you collect, so you are getting something for that stuff, with score x pay grade giving you points toward your bonuses, redeemed at the front counter. If you get lucky with your bonuses you can score some pretty nice stuff compared to spending that equivalent of time in the general multiplayer.

Ok that's something to aim for regarding flags.
Where do the colored flags appear on the weapons that track your best streak?

What's the max?

Edit: colored flags seems to be exactly along the lines of what i was looking for. Wish it also gave rewards for inking and splatting but it's something. Win streak is ultimate metric I guess

Oh the experience bonus is one time thing? This is great. Just not communicated well to the player. Awesome

So it goes green, red , gold, white?

For salmon run the issue is that the way to "win" is just play a bunch in a row. No tracking of actual skill over time. Well.. i guess the salmon run rank does that.

I think I finally love my setup

All three outfits have sub saver as main ability. Then my secondary abilities are - four ink recoveries, one sub power up, and four more sub savers.

I can throw two power bombs from a full charge without needing any recovery time, and it's only a few seconds before I can throw another. I get so many kills with them, I love it.

Kinokou

I think I finally love my setup

All three outfits have sub saver as main ability. Then my secondary abilities are - four ink recoveries, one sub power up, and four more sub savers.

I can throw two power bombs from a full charge without needing any recovery time, and it's only a few seconds before I can throw another. I get so many kills with them, I love it.

I'm running something similar but with Object shredder and three secondary ink recovery. I'm considering making that four as the change in recovery will be greater than the change from the saver, but I currently don't have the chunks to do it.

Koren

I'm running something similar but with Object shredder and three secondary ink recovery. I'm considering making that four as the change in recovery will be greater than the change from the saver, but I currently don't have the chunks to do it.
What do you use object shredder for?

Doorman

Ok that's something to aim for regarding flags.
Where do the colored flags appear on the weapons that track your best streak?

What's the max?

Edit: colored flags seems to be exactly along the lines of what i was looking for. Wish it also gave rewards for inking and splatting but it's something. Win streak is ultimate metric I guess

Oh the experience bonus is one time thing? This is great. Just not communicated well to the player. Awesome

So it goes green, red , gold, white?

For salmon run the issue is that the way to "win" is just play a bunch in a row. No tracking of actual skill over time. Well.. i guess the salmon run rank does that.
The flags go green at +5, red/bronze at +10, white/silver at +15, and lastly gold at +25 which IIRC doesn't give you an exp bonus but boy does it look nice. :p

The flags show up on your equip screen on each weapon's info card as you cursor over them, as well as the weapon listing in the Splatnet 2 app.

ChrisD

The flags go green at +5, red/bronze at +10, white/silver at +15, and lastly gold at +25 which IIRC doesn't give you an exp bonus but boy does it look nice. :p

The flags show up on your equip screen on each weapon's info card as you cursor over them, as well as the weapon listing in the Splatnet 2 app.

Gold is +50, unless they dropped the required number in an Update.

It's a pretty great bragging right, if nothing else.

phanphare

Banned
so the tournament had random seeding which probably affected how things played out

but team olive was playing a team in the grand finals with a clash blaster

team olive swept them (and everyone else in the tournament pretty sure) but hey, the meta gonna learn

Koren

I think I'm going crazy...

After some disconnections*/lack of luck, my SR payout go back to 160x... and it's nightmarish there.

When I usually do a 8-wins to 1200, I struggle to get to wave 3, let alone win. The number of players that don't have a clue on how to play (scattering in goldie rush, taking 40 seconds to find the beach in low tide, not understanding you can *charge* weapons, not using walls, not bringing back eggs, not attacking the UFO, the whole set) is impressive.

You die? well, you probably lose, even if the three others are still alive...

It's like very hard mode, when 240x payout is easy mode... Difficulty is welcome, but sometimes, you want to eat your pad.

* "best" one: start wave 1, we're two... Well, it'll be hard, but you can sometimes cope with this... Which wave? Griller, and I have a bucket. We killed the first two, but once we were both targeted by two grillers, we were as good as dead :/ Loosing 20 points and payout because of this is annoying.

Do you only get matched against players in your region in this game? Seems to take ages to get a full house for turf war and so many people quit or don't take part. Totally ruins it. Was better on bloody Wii U.

Koren

Do you only get matched against players in your region in this game? Seems to take ages to get a full house for turf war and so many people quit or don't take part. Totally ruins it. Was better on bloody Wii U.
Not sure you can only meet people of your region, but it's based on ping, so you won't usually be paired with people too far away.

Jims

my twitter now exists solely to document my splatoon shenanigans

Yeah! I love that they put out the update when Salmon Run was open. The breaks between rounds are perfect for recording.

It's weird watching one's own Salmon Run moments back. It always looks way more frantic than it seemed at the time.

Top Bottom