• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 | Review Thread

I'm picking mine up from Best Buy after work, so it'll be much later tonight. Supposedly coming with a sick keychain too.

But I'll probably get up early and play all day as well tomorrow. Pretty psyched.

You guys rocking motion controls or manual?
Motion all day. Definitely the best way to play. It's worth it to get comfortable with it.

Last edited:
I'm picking mine up from Best Buy after work, so it'll be much later tonight. Supposedly coming with a sick keychain too.

But I'll probably get up early and play all day as well tomorrow. Pretty psyched.

Motion all day. Definitely the best way to play. It's worth it to get comfortable with it.
Just can't get the handle of it, camera moves so spastically.

Just can't get the handle of it, camera moves so spastically.
Liberal use of the recenter button is required. You don't have to move your hands in large motions, just very subtle tilting. The training room is a good place to try.

I think I learned it more easily on Vita / Wii U because of the large flat surface, made me realize it's like tilting a tray.

Also use the sticks still and then the motion can just add to it for the small fine tuning at the end. Sticks are incredibly bad at those small micro adjustments at the very end of aiming, but they can get you in the general area.

Eventually after you're comfortable, it's a lot faster and you can aim while moving a lot more easily as well.

Last edited:

Sojiro

You guys rocking motion controls or manual?
Motion all the way, these games were designed with gyro in mind, and are one of the best uses of it in any game I have ever played. IMO you are playing at a pretty significant disadvantage not using them. I know it may feel uncomfortable at first, but definitely hit up the training area and play with the sensitivity to get accustomed to them. Once they click, you will never want to go back, it feels so damn good to use.

Sgt.Asher

I was getting blown the fuck out by chargers in the demo. Some cold blooded people out there.
I missed the demo, but i did unlock the bamboozler(also elitr and goo tuber) with a gold ticket, feels as good as splatoon 1. Plus without damage up i can actually specialize builds, i hated the 99.9 damage meta on the bamboozler.

John Bilbo

Motion all the way, these games were designed with gyro in mind, and are one of the best uses of it in any game I have ever played. IMO you are playing at a pretty significant disadvantage not using them. I know it may feel uncomfortable at first, but definitely hit up the training area and play with the sensitivity to get accustomed to them. Once they click, you will never want to go back, it feels so damn good to use.
One of the best ways to get a grip of the motion controls in the practice area is to ink the surface and swim in it while trying to keep your reticle on a target dummy.

Then you can practice popping out of the ink and taking a few shots and succumbing into the ink again.

Picture the top of the pro controller as a tray like a waiter. Keep your hands still. Tilt in smooth and minor movements for subtle fine tuning near the end of your shots. Reset your hands to your previous waiter position if it gets off and hit the reset button.

The more you get used to it, the more you start to see the limitations of stick only. Stick only has a lot of tiny movements that overshoot the target as you correct back and forth to try and hit it.

It's worth it to stick with it and practice. When I first played Mario 64 with a joystick, I couldn't run in a straight line. The planks where you have to walk slow were a challenge.

The_hunter

Played it all day. Level 8, so far the minigun is my favourite. Anyone figure out how the bow is supposed to be used?

Last edited:
Played it all day. Level 8, so far the minigun is my favourite. Anyone figure out how the bow is supposed to be used?
Bow is interesting. Charged shots are small bombs. Normal shot is horizontal spread. Jump is the vertical kill shot. Also doesn't use a ton of ink.

It seems weak to me too. Tried slowing people down with toxic mist and going for the jump shot but its a lot of work for little reward. Also exceptionally poor at turf painting.

Sojiro

I don't think the bow is that bad, although I think it really needs to allow at least the first charge to persist if you swim. I am curious how the next bow will be, maybe a stronger charge shot in exchange for only a dual shot? I think there will be a lot of growing pains with the weapon, I also think you need to have run speed up with it. Maybe I am having too much with it to really see it's flaws.

Last edited:

Kabelly

I don't think the bow is that bad, although I think it really needs to allow at least the first charge to persist if you swim. I am curious how the next bow will be, maybe a stronger charge shot in exchange for only a dual shot? I think there will be a lot of growing pains with the weapon, I also think you need to have run speed up with it. Maybe I am having too much with it to really see it's flaws.
I'm pretty sure the second bow has the mentioned swim charge shot but without the burst shots

I love how instead of crying in the media about not having Call of Duty or Final Fantasy, Nintendo goes and makes Splatoon and Xenoblade.
You can say what you want but Splatoon doesn't bring anywhere near the amount of money in that COD does. Sony makes billions on it every year.

ManaByte

You can skip the splat-casts.
Praise The Lord GIF by Soul Train

The_hunter

So this game has a catalogue, which would be the "season pass". I'm at catalogue level 10, so far it's only been cosmetics, titles, card backgrounds and clothing. Gear in this game has randomized perks, you have 4 slots and what perks they roll is random. The game only lets you see the next two items in the catalogue.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

TwiztidElf

This single player......man. This is a masterclass of game design. Sublime.
Classic Nintendo game that's been cooking in the oven to perfection.
This should be used as an example to teach people what video games should be like.
Edit: The_hunter - Great minds and all that eh. :D

Last edited:

Codes 208

Any benefits from completing the second game before file transferring or are the bonuses just the rank related stuff?

Sgt.Asher

Bow is interesting. Charged shots are small bombs. Normal shot is horizontal spread. Jump is the vertical kill shot. Also doesn't use a ton of ink.

It seems weak to me too. Tried slowing people down with toxic mist and going for the jump shot but its a lot of work for little reward. Also exceptionally poor at turf painting.
Chargers are an even worse match up against bows than splatlings I've noticed.

CS Lurker

I'm having fun with the single-player. Played for more than 5 hours straight; going to W5 now.

The gyro seems smoother than in Splatoon 2 (although the latency is still behind the original for wii u).

Rykan

I'm really on the fence about this one. I have a switch lite so i can only play handheld. I tried the trial/demo a little while ago and I was really struggling with the motion controls, though I sadly only had time to play one match.

Anyone else that that primarily plays handheld? Do the controls get better or feel more natural?

Tams

Gold Member
I'm really on the fence about this one. I have a switch lite so i can only play handheld. I tried the trial/demo a little while ago and I was really struggling with the motion controls, though I sadly only had time to play one match.

Anyone else that that primarily plays handheld? Do the controls get better or feel more natural?
Handheld doesn't really get much better as it's too unwieldy.

The WiiU gamepad worked great because the controller was a dedicated controller and by using modified Wi-Fi, it had lower latency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom