• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 | Review Thread

ManaByte

It's so good. Can't stop playing.

Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

The second boss was a ton of fun. Just classic Nintendo.

Maxed out Salmon Run rewards.

Slowly leveling up in Turf Wars but also getting bodied by some ruthless players lol. Not sure how you get more Sheldon tickets. Seems kinda slow.

Im figuring out bow now. Its actually super good at Turf coverage.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion was too tough for me to really enjoy - does the campaign here feel more like an S2 level of difficulty? And yes I’m one of those strange people who really like single player Splatoon.

Quezacolt

Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion was too tough for me to really enjoy - does the campaign here feel more like an S2 level of difficulty? And yes I’m one of those strange people who really like single player Splatoon.
Im another one. i enjoy the MP, but im mostly interested in the SP

Mozza

Depends on your definition of sucked and bombed, below high profile games received bad-overwhelming critic reviews and bad user reviews:
-Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
-Star Fox Zero
-Metriod Other M
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star
-Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit-
-New Super Luigi U
Not really the best examples of high profile games to be honest. ;)

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Yes, for the most part it’s Octo Expansion-styled stages but with the lower difficulty of 2’s campaign. You normally get a choice of three weapons which act as difficulty levels.

Ulysses 31

So what are people's go to weapon(s) for turf wars and ranked?

For turf I use the N-Zap 85 and Splattershot.

For ranked I like the rapid blaster.

Salz01

So always wanted to get splatoon, but been iffy. Is 3 good? ( I’ve seen reviews saying yes) but is it better than 2? Or is 3 worth just jumping in there?

Seems kinda in the middle so far. On world 2 of 7 and I thought 2 levels of the 20 I played were a bit challenging. I bet later worlds increase a little bit

OuterLimits

I forgot this was releasing somehow. Good scores it seems. definitely will buy it at some point soonish.

I actually hooked up my Wii U the other day. Kind of curious if the original Splatoon still has any online activity. Last time I tried a few years ago it was mainly just Japanese players who were really fucking good.

TwiztidElf

Seems kinda in the middle so far. On world 2 of 7 and I thought 2 levels of the 20 I played were a bit challenging. I bet later worlds increase a little bit
I finished the SP campaign yesterday, and I only completed around half of the levels. Obviously you can go back and complete them at your leisure.
World 1 and 2 I pretty much cleaned out, then about half or less of the levels in worlds 3-6.
Like you, I only had to tap out on 2 of the levels that I had attempted.
I really enjoyed just wandering around the islands unlocking and discovering things.
I found this a lot easier than Octo Expansion.

Lasha

Has Nintendo made any mention of Splatoon 3 being an attempt at a live service game? The battlepass, locker/nameplate customization, and the random collectible card game all seem like hooks for long term support. I wonder if Nintendo changed it's mind after abandoning Animal Crossing after a year and walking away from such a massive user base.

Has Nintendo made any mention of Splatoon 3 being an attempt at a live service game? The battlepass, locker/nameplate customization, and the random collectible card game all seem like hooks for long term support. I wonder if Nintendo changed it's mind after abandoning Animal Crossing after a year and walking away from such a massive user base.
It will get regular updates for 2 years. Splatfests and Salmon Run mega battles. 1 paid expansion. Then a final splatfest

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I Have found great success with the Aerospray MG, its not quite as combat efficient as the N-Zap but it is far better for coverage, its ultimate I find so far more useful than the drink cabinet too.

You can still make it work by getting up close, its poor accuracy but high RoF means at close range you will naturally burn people down faster than the more accurate ones, shame its grenade type sucks but again great coverage if cooked to stage 3, but it is what it is, people still move out the way when you toss one.

Just managed to order in a stealth hoodie from the Nintendo app means that I will be invisible in inkling form (no splashes) I would advise anyone who hasent to download the Nintendo app for mobile load up splatoon and get a order up for it asap, got anouther 12 hours, and it's nice to have essentially anouther shop with unique gear to shop from.

IMG

Once ordered just get enough cash and head over to Murch

splatoon-3-splatnet2.jpg

Normally apps for games suck, but for splatoon 3 it feels almost mandatory, they have a QR code scanner for unique rewards and also a kind of event where you earn currency with the turf you splat in turfwar to unlock some unique items too, overall I would recommend using it.

Last edited:
I've never lost this much in my life. Either the lag is significantly worse than part2, I suck, everyone on my team always sucks, or all of the above.

Sojiro

For turf it's what I feel like leveling up at that moment. So far for ranked I have been hitting the regular blaster fairly hard, once I get sloshing machine I will be using that too as that is one I used to play with 2 a lot. For more backline, I like the heavy splatling and have been trying bow here and there.

The_hunter

Some tips for the crab tank:
  • It moves fast from side to side and slowly when going forwards and backwards
  • Shooting the alternate fire, the bombs from a high spot is effective
  • If you press the squid form button, you can go into ball mode to protect yourself from people trying to get behind you.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I have to say that the new casters are a step down from Splatoon 2 which were already a step down from Splatoon 1, same with the music.

Making news casts skippable makes the new characters even more forgettable. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Tams

Gold Member
I Have found great success with the Aerospray MG, its not quite as combat efficient as the N-Zap but it is far better for coverage, its ultimate I find so far more useful than the drink cabinet too.

You can still make it work by getting up close, its poor accuracy but high RoF means at close range you will naturally burn people down faster than the more accurate ones, shame its grenade type sucks but again great coverage if cooked to stage 3, but it is what it is, people still move out the way when you toss one.

Just managed to order in a stealth hoodie from the Nintendo app means that I will be invisible in inkling form (no splashes) I would advise anyone who hasent to download the Nintendo app for mobile load up splatoon and get a order up for it asap, got anouther 12 hours, and it's nice to have essentially anouther shop with unique gear to shop from.

IMG

Once ordered just get enough cash and head over to Murch

splatoon-3-splatnet2.jpg

Normally apps for games suck, but for splatoon 3 it feels almost mandatory, they have a QR code scanner for unique rewards and also a kind of event where you earn currency with the turf you splat in turfwar to unlock some unique items too, overall I would recommend using it.

It'll demend on how the meta plays out, but Ninja Squid became not worth it in comparison to over abilities.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It'll demend on how the meta plays out, but Ninja Squid became not worth it in comparison to over abilities.

I have to ask, what's normally considered meta? I find getting the drop on people normally ending in me winning so anything to reduce that chance of seeing me is a winner for me.

I can see reduced primary ink usage being stupidly useful.

Tams

Gold Member
I have to ask, what's normally considered meta? I find getting the drop on people normally ending in me winning so anything to reduce that chance of seeing me is a winner for me.

I can see reduced primary ink usage being stupidly useful.
For 3, it's too soon, and of course they will do some balancing.

In 2, Ninja Squid was great but the swim speed penalty was pretty harsh and quite hard to negate, so you'd lose a main and three subs getting it back up, plus the main it itself takes. Whe you consider what could go there, that's a pretty big disadvantage.

In the original, ink saving abilities were the favourites.

In 2, main weapon damage up was probably the favourite, followed by main weapon ink saver.

There's not much worse than running out of ink.

I've never lost this much in my life. Either the lag is significantly worse than part2, I suck, everyone on my team always sucks, or all of the above.

I'm winning at my normal rate, but have noticed that I'll get on teams once in a while that just immediately rush to the enemy with very little effort to cover the map. They spend all their effort fighting for 10% of the map while the enemy sneaks behind the line unimpeded and takes 30% of the map.

To compensate I've been hanging back from the action a bit more in this one to help contain things better and give the rest of the team a safer respawn point. I mostly use Bloblobber so I can still get a few kills or cause some chaos from a little distance. When I am on a team that respects the entirety of the map, I play more loose in the enemy's turf.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
For 3, it's too soon, and of course they will do some balancing.

In 2, Ninja Squid was great but the swim speed penalty was pretty harsh and quite hard to negate, so you'd lose a main and three subs getting it back up, plus the main it itself takes. Whe you consider what could go there, that's a pretty big disadvantage.

In the original, ink saving abilities were the favourites.

In 2, main weapon damage up was probably the favourite, followed by main weapon ink saver.

There's not much worse than running out of ink.

I think the diffrence is that yeah when I played... no penalty to movement to the ink form, but your 100% right that is a pretty big penalty you need to try and offset elsewhere.

I'm winning at my normal rate, but have noticed that I'll get on teams once in a while that just immediately rush to the enemy with very little effort to cover the map. They spend all their effort fighting for 10% of the map while the enemy sneaks behind the line unimpeded and takes 30% of the map.

To compensate I've been hanging back from the action a bit more in this one to help contain things better and give the rest of the team a safer respawn point. I mostly use Bloblobber so I can still get a few kills or cause some chaos from a little distance. When I am on a team that respects the entirety of the map, I play more loose in the enemy's turf.
Seriously, its ridiculous. I wish people with zero interest in turf control would just play ranked and not turf wars. I can hardly even pick an offensive powerhouse weapon because every time I spend half the game inking half the map entirely by myself while they fail at offense as well. Just better to pick something focused on inking efficiency since that's 60% of what I'm stuck doing.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OK so I have finished the single player, all kettles done including the secret one (was easier than octo's)

I really enjoyed my time in the single player, a good mix of stages, also... doing every stage with every available weapon rewards absolutely nothing, so don't waste your time just clear every kettle once to unlock the secret one, that's where the real rewards are locked behind, the headband you get is great.

Me being autistic needed all those green ticks, can't say I didn't get my moneys worth out this title, next up is getting to rank 30 on the table top turf wars and 15 in multiplayer for a bigger locker.

Last edited:

The_hunter

My favourite weapon so far is the rapid blaster, so fun to shoot people behind cover and around corners.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Seriously, its ridiculous. I wish people with zero interest in turf control would just play ranked and not turf wars. I can hardly even pick an offensive powerhouse weapon because every time I spend half the game inking half the map entirely by myself while they fail at offense as well. Just better to pick something focused on inking efficiency since that's 60% of what I'm stuck doing.
The game needs a TDM mode to kick out the usual k/d fetishists from turf wars

Honesrly its the same issue i had with overwatch, no one focused the objective because “hurr derr gun go brrr”

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Update: figured out the bow lol. Got 8-1 two games in a row.

Tried it a fair bit in the splatfest and could never get over how bad it was for inking.

I feel its one weapon that certainly requires specific maps to be at its most effective as having the highground takes priority.

this salmon run map currently on is pretty bland tbh

I bet you think it's better now, the current map/weapon rotation is god awful, why is the slosher so bad? It feels like it does no damage.

I hate the fact the map has so many grates meaning you need to run across the walkways while under constant bombardment, having to drop to escape is a gamble too because half the time there's an entire swarm of samanoids below.

Last edited:
Tried it a fair bit in the splatfest and could never get over how bad it was for inking.

I feel its one weapon that certainly requires specific maps to be at its most effective as having the highground takes priority.
It dominates on inking but it took me a while to get it. Try in the training room. Two effective methods. Rapid shot ink has a good short range spread. Or charge shots as fast as you can and slowly moving a couple steps forward each shot.

Lasha

That's turf war. You always take ink weapons for turf war since splatting is kind of irrelevant. Turf war is really just to practice/grind.

Kabelly

I bet you think it's better now, the current map/weapon rotation is god awful, why is the slosher so bad? It feels like it does no damage.

I hate the fact the map has so many grates meaning you need to run across the walkways while under constant bombardment, having to drop to escape is a gamble too because half the time there's an entire swarm of samanoids below.
unfortunetly it's just a splatoon 2 map. so imagine my disappointment. the grates are meh but use the little patches of inkable land to swim and jump. use that momentum. and if you're on the greats shoot through them to kill the enemies below before you feed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom