• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 | Review Thread

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Question, does this game actually make it easy to play with friends? In 2 i could only join splatzones with friends on a current game, in ranked we all needed a specific level, and i believe it only let 2 or 4, couldnt have just 3 friends. Is this easy and painless? Like can i make a room, and do salmon, splat, or ranked relatively easy with my friends? This is whats currently holding me back

Ps: is there no official OT thread for it?

Sgt.Asher

Question, does this game actually make it easy to play with friends? In 2 i could only join splatzones with friends on a current game, in ranked we all needed a specific level, and i believe it only let 2 or 4, couldnt have just 3 friends. Is this easy and painless? Like can i make a room, and do salmon, splat, or ranked relatively easy with my friends? This is whats currently holding me back

Ps: is there no official OT thread for it?
Yea it's easier with friends, you can create a room(in the lobby no joining
midgame) and it will keep you together on the same team. The lobby system is still obtuse compared to other multiplayer shooters, but it's a vast improvement over the previous splatoons. As for ranked, there is a no friend side(the actual ranked mode) and a friend side( closer to a for fun mode with ranked rules).

Yea no OT u suppose no splatoon fan cared enough to make one, I sure as didn't want to spend the time.

Edit:you can join a friend midgame but i don't think it keeps you on the same team.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
i6y4Ezo.jpg

Found out if you fully explore each island (no grey and black stripped blocks left) by either walking over the area directly or shooting it with ink you get a map piece when you return to Marie on the first story island.

If you do all the islands you can put all the map pieces together to form a coherent map on your locker, so if your after additional locker swag might be worth doing.

The in app bonuses are just wallpapers for your phone.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I don't like the tacticooler, it's a neat idea but way too strong. Especially since it's indestructible.
Yeah it is pretty damn strong, I think changing the duration of the unit, or giving it around the same health as the wave breaker would be a good change. I don't think its quite on Splat 1's bubbler or Splat 2's Stingray level of bullshittery, but it is damn strong, so long as your teammates realize its worth getting their buff from it.

Sojiro

Really? What does the buff do exactly? Kind of surprised.
Straight from the Wiki:

The Tacticooler is used by placing a short, cylindrical object on the ground, which then expands into a standing beverage cooler. Four soda cans are taken out of the cooler and held by short metal attachments. The Tacticooler will also play a jingle when it is ready to use. The player and their allies can grab one of the soda cans each and drink it, granting 57 AP[1][2], or 3 mains and 9 subs of each of these abilities for its duration or until the recipient is splatted:[3]

The cooler can also be used as a wall to block enemy ink.

The other big thing, since its indestructible, is you can sit behind it for cover without worrying about it getting destroyed (like the Big Bubbler). Like I said in my previous post, I don't think its as bad as some specials in the past, but its pretty strong, I think making it destructible would be a solid change for it.

The cooler can also be used as a wall to block enemy ink.

The other big thing, since its indestructible, is you can sit behind it for cover without worrying about it getting destroyed (like the Big Bubbler). Like I said in my previous post, I don't think its as bad as some specials in the past, but its pretty strong, I think making it destructible would be a solid change for it.
That's pretty devious lol.

Anyone else finding that there is a very loud, vocal minority trying desperatley to ruin this game? I am constantly seeing nametags and artwork depicting a lot of disgusting subject matter that really shouldn’t be in a kids game. Almost all of it seems to be coming from the subreddit community.

Sgt.Asher

Anyone else finding that there is a very loud, vocal minority trying desperatley to ruin this game? I am constantly seeing nametags and artwork depicting a lot of disgusting subject matter that really shouldn’t be in a kids game. Almost all of it seems to be coming from the subreddit community.
Yea, i report all that for sexual content.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Yeah the chat bubble thing is a sesspool with a few winners mixed in.

CS Lurker

God, I love gyro aiming. Thank you, Nintendo, for making a shooter in a console be as fun (in its own way) as it is on PC with M&K (at least for me).

The last level is so f*ing good. That was a real challenge.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm having fun. I did struggle tonight. I had 5 disconnects in a row. I then got a couple complete matches and said f it.

I wish I was better at the game. I preform best if I really lean on gyro. I play sitting in my bed though and it's hard to hold controller right. I might move the switch to my pc so I can sit in my gaming chair. My kids own the living room tv so I'm not playing out there.

Mohonky

Anyone else find they constantly lose out when in a 1v1 confrontation? Seems like no matter what weapon I have if I get caught in a 1v1 Situation, I'll die. Even in confrontations where I land the first few hits, I die in 1 or 2 hits, but I seem to sink loads of hits in and they just destroy me.

I'm finding looking at the stats, right now I'm on the losing team probably 8 out of 10 matches.

Anyone else find they constantly lose out when in a 1v1 confrontation? Seems like no matter what weapon I have if I get caught in a 1v1 Situation, I'll die. Even in confrontations where I land the first few hits, I die in 1 or 2 hits, but I seem to sink loads of hits in and they just destroy me.

I'm finding looking at the stats, right now I'm on the losing team probably 8 out of 10 matches.

What weapon are you using? how many hits do you get on them/ How often are you missing? What abilities are on your gear? Do you end up standing in enemy ink? Do they?

All of these are important to understanding why you would lose in a 1v1 confrontation. Also if they have a buff from the vendor special.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Prior to the patch I’d only get random disconnections outside of games.

Post patch it’s literally unplayable for me. Won’t stay connected for longer than 5 seconds.

WTF is going on?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So apparently Nintendo has baked exclusive banners and titles into this season with a 0.1% drop chance from the gatcha machine in the lobby, apparently according to the game files these are linked as season exclusives so potentially could go away.

Apparently the titles are Super Duper Lucky - Lucky Duck and the banner looks like this.

IO8Q5sK.jpg

So abuse those shells for leveling your catalog while you can.

Last edited:
I'm guessing "Team Fun" must be the popular option. A timed out a few times today while waiting for other players.

Haven't had any of the connection issues that some others are experiencing.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Never had a match with the orange team, so strange.

Also, what happened to shifty station? We're never getting them?

My conspiracy theory- they started developing this for Switch2, and had to change course because of COVID. So they reduced some stuff. I have thousands of hours in Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3 is more buggy with less content, it feels like they mainly focused on adding fluff cosmetics. I do love Salmon Run with the Chukozuna, but even there, you don't get anything extra for beating it.

Sojiro

Rocking team gear, have only had a few communication errors right at the start, been smooth sailing since. Feels like I am winning most my games, then a big choke on the fucking 10x ones 😡

Camreezie

My conspiracy theory- they started developing this for Switch2, and had to change course because of COVID. So they reduced some stuff. I have thousands of hours in Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3 is more buggy with less content, it feels like they mainly focused on adding fluff cosmetics. I do love Salmon Run with the Chukozuna, but even there, you don't get anything extra for beating it.
Ive also not played the orange team all day I also thought they would be doing 3 team turf wars?

There is literally more content in this game than Splatoon 2. What are you on about?

Rocking team gear, have only had a few communication errors right at the start, been smooth sailing since. Feels like I am winning most my games, then a big choke on the fucking 10x ones 😡
I'm team gear. Rank gear ruler +1. Nearly at +2. I've definitely had many matches against orange, but I wasn't really paying too much attention. Getting a pretty good amount of wins, which leads me to believe gear was a less popular choice.

I'm team gear. Rank gear ruler +1. Nearly at +2. I've definitely had many matches against orange, but I wasn't really paying too much attention. Getting a pretty good amount of wins, which leads me to believe gear was a less popular choice.

Meanwhile in my 8 hour splaying since Splatfest, I have lost the vast majority of my games. So many retarded as fuck teammates sitting in spawn inking every inch of it instead of pushing forward.

Meanwhile in my 8 hour splaying since Splatfest, I have lost the vast majority of my games. So many retarded as fuck teammates sitting in spawn inking every inch of it instead of pushing forward.
Man, I'm always happy when I get teammates like that. The worst is when everyone just rushes forward and seems to actively try to not ink anything.

If everyone just puts a little effort into inking, then everyone can wrap it up quickly and push forward. That's how most of my teams have been all day, which has been AMAZING. Most of the time my Turf War runs have been pretty rough, so today was much better. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Man, I'm always happy when I get teammates like that. The worst is when everyone just rushes forward and seems to actively try to not ink anything.

If everyone just puts a little effort into inking, then everyone can wrap it up quickly and push forward. That's how most of my teams have been all day, which has been AMAZING. Most of the time my Turf War runs have been pretty rough, so today was much better. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Nah, if you stay back and ink the base, you actively let the enemies get a better stranglehold on mid. Push forward, hold mid, and then you can go back and ink your own base without losing ground.

Staying in the back actively hurts your chances of winning.

Nah, if you stay back and ink the base, you actively let the enemies get a better stranglehold on mid. Push forward, hold mid, and then you can go back and ink your own base without losing ground.

Staying in the back actively hurts your chances of winning.
I'm aware of the plan. I just don't agree that everyone should be pushing forward instantly, because you just rush to ink stuff that is going to get covered anyway. You want a good balance between inking terrain between everyone so that you can push forward fast. The more terrain you have inked, the more opportunities you have for fast movement and stealth.

Most of the people I play with that rush forward instantly just die immediately and so they don't hold the middle, or ink the back and we just do far worse. Some people are skilled enough to pull it off, but not everyone. If you can't consistently kill the other player and not get killed, then rushing forward is not going to help anything that much. It only works if you're good enough to win the fight you're rushing into most of the time. For most people it's 50/50 really, and kind of a risky strategy. Maybe if you're playing with a set team who knows what they're doing you can work out the roles better, but for just games with randoms I find that it falls apart a lot.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
There is literally more content in this game than Splatoon 2. What are you on about?
Maybe better way to phrase it, is less new content. The modes are the same (I know they added Clam Blitz later), Salmon run, and single player. It just feels, to me, there should be more after 5+ years. And I love the game with all the flaws, I think the gameplay is genius, it's just a bit disappointing.

Maybe better way to phrase it, is less new content. The modes are the same (I know they added Clam Blitz later), Salmon run, and single player. It just feels, to me, there should be more after 5+ years. And I love the game with all the flaws, I think the gameplay is genius, it's just a bit disappointing.

That I can understand to a degree, but there is still plenty new here. From locker and banner customization (which *is* pretty big and people do spend hours doing this sort of content - just look at Black Ops with its icon system). Table Turf War is a completely brand new mode that offers its own MP, strategy, and presumably constantly updated cards with the seasons system), triple turf war battles also offer a new way to play the most popular mode with its own strategies.

Couple this with the changes to the story mode, new weapons, new gear, catalog system - there is plenty new here - just as much that was new in Splatoon 2.

Lasha

The maps roughly follow a simple rule: even numbers are required to take mid but mid can be held at a disadvantage by blocking the other team in. Staying back and inking base at the start is the worst possible thing for two reasons. You're leaving your team at a disadvantage in the mid fight which is going to result in your team being stuck in spawn. You also don't provide much use as a respawn point if you are right next to the base. Having either a player or a beacon up near the front is essential to maintaining pressure.

I carry by taking a mid-range weapon to splatfest like the explosure. I follow the team up but I stay on my sides safe platforms. I usually get to cover two specials worth of space while acting as a forward beacon. I only move up to a closer vantage once we push up when I can almost single handedly lock the other team in. Then one player can go back and safely fill in our half.

Lasha

That sucks ass for that one player though. If everyone chips in, then you're at the midpoint in literally no time.

A team following my method is going to be at mid with 4 primed specials by the time you reach with everybody covering home. The one player can alternate. You just have somebody spawn back in and cover a bit or have the back line person go cover a bit as they see it. All that matters is that it gets covered by the end of the match while your team holds mid.

A team following my method is going to be at mid with 4 primed specials by the time you reach with everybody covering home. The one player can alternate. You just have somebody spawn back in and cover a bit or have the back line person go cover a bit as they see it. All that matters is that it gets covered by the end of the match while your team holds mid.
In a game of randoms no one coordinates this or alternates anything.

Lasha

In a game of randoms no one coordinates this or alternates anything.

Yet some groups of randoms always seem to win and some always seem to lose. Staying back and giving up mid is a good way to lose. Try playing the anchor and being the carry. Part of winning turf war is working around your team until you land a group that clicks.

Top Bottom