• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatterhouse; the "perfect" game for Halloween...and other legit horror games for October

VGEsoterica

Curiosity about Splatterhouse remake;

Due the mess of Splatterhouse production, there's two different games. One completed beta by (ex) Bottlerocket, and one from Namco team.

Namco rejected the Bottlerocket version (what makes the company closes its door for good). So they cancelled the game, and a week later said the game "will be release as planned".

With no time, Namco got 80% of Bottlerocket assets, made some changes and released the game.

A friend of mine from bottlerocket tried to sell the full Bottlerocket beta, and and got issued. I didn't know he was from bottlerocket until 4 years ago. I tried contact with a friend lmao, because i wanted that version so bad. As i said here, im a huge fan.

https://worthplaying.com/article/20...ies-of-splatterhouse-all-hit-the-net-for-675/

All i can say is: It's two completed different games, and Namco are assholes. One day in the morning, without warning, they simple put the trucks in front of Bottlerocket office and took all pcs/xbox kits.

I like more the Bottlerocket version, much more gore, Rick is a badass monster, more enemies, monsters, bosses, more "realistic" graphics, and I'd love to share more info, but i can't.

It plays like an evolution of Rise of the Kasai, but with more freedom to do the fatalities and moves. The game has more bosses, more enemies, Rick is GIANT, a true monster, and the story keeps the same as the final product.

I did some videos long time ago, with exclusive contents from the beta version, animation process, what moves was cut from the final game and more. In this version u can also summon dead demons to fight on your side.

Well, i liked the Namco version, framerate is better, but 50% of the entire game was cut, from moves to enemies, bosses, and unnecessary redesign of Rick and some monsters. (Now u know why on the final game, Rick and some monsters in cutscenes are different...)

Bottlerocket version;

Namco Version (final retail version);

Some videos i uploaded with some exclusive alpha footage and moves that was cut from the final game..(God knows why Namco did that...);

Yes it’s a bummer what seemed like a better version was axed

hlm666

It took me months to get a go of this as a kid, go to the arcade and was always queued up to next year. It was even a hassle to watch it played because it was also surrounded by the mob. The only other game I can remember being this hard to get a go of was a triple screen game called ninja warriors. I spent the money I would have put into splatterhouse on alien syndrome and xain selena.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Oh man, it absolutely was cool as hell.

I still wish I had my Turbografx. It really was awesome.

I ended up getting on ebay a few years ago a big TG16 collection - the main system and CD were always a little dodgy but the Portable TG16 with TV receiver/antenna still works flawlessly. It's the best thing I own.

kunonabi

I'd love to be able the play this gem without resorting to emulation.

It's crazy how we've never had any kind of successor to this. I had hopes for evil dead when they showed the crate trap with the severed hand and the mini-ashes but that's really the only one in the game.

spookyfish

Castlevania and Darkstalkers fit the Halloween mood best for me.

If I were to do a big curated month slate I'd probably do:

Clock Tower 1, 2
Haunting starring Polterguy
Nosferatu
Resident Evil 1, Outbreak
Fatal Frame 2, 4
Friday the 13th the Game
Castlevania 1, 64
Silent Hill
Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior
Illbleed
I never got Illbleed. So mad at myself.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's crazy how we've never had any kind of successor to this. I had hopes for evil dead when they showed the crate trap with the severed hand and the mini-ashes but that's really the only one in the game.
It's a brilliant concept. I'm surprised too that we never got anything more. Not even a spiritual successor.

Krathoon

I have a copy of Illbleed. It had some red goo on it. God knows how long that was on there. Mystery goo. Got it off eBay.

kunonabi

I never got Illbleed. So mad at myself.
I missed it during my initial dreamcast ownership but bought it once I started rebuilding my collection. I think I had skipped it because of reviews. Even back then reviewers were mostly useless, lol.

Last edited:
Playing RE2make right now. I replay RE4 basically every year, except maybe this one because the remake is just around the corner.

Until Dawn is great, and all of the Castlevania metroidvanias are pretty excellent. SOTN and Dawn of Sorrow are my favorites of those.

skeebs

Friday-the-13th-NES-outfit.png

gp02.png

Siren_Blood_Curse.jpg

VGEsoterica

Curiosity about Splatterhouse remake;

Due the mess of Splatterhouse production, there's two different games. One completed beta by (ex) Bottlerocket, and one from Namco team.

Namco rejected the Bottlerocket version (what makes the company closes its door for good). So they cancelled the game, and a week later said the game "will be release as planned".

With no time, Namco got 80% of Bottlerocket assets, made some changes and released the game.

A friend of mine from bottlerocket tried to sell the full Bottlerocket beta, and and got issued. I didn't know he was from bottlerocket until 4 years ago. I tried contact with a friend lmao, because i wanted that version so bad. As i said here, im a huge fan.

https://worthplaying.com/article/20...ies-of-splatterhouse-all-hit-the-net-for-675/

All i can say is: It's two completed different games, and Namco are assholes. One day in the morning, without warning, they simple put the trucks in front of Bottlerocket office and took all pcs/xbox kits.

I like more the Bottlerocket version, much more gore, Rick is a badass monster, more enemies, monsters, bosses, more "realistic" graphics, and I'd love to share more info, but i can't.

It plays like an evolution of Rise of the Kasai, but with more freedom to do the fatalities and moves. The game has more bosses, more enemies, Rick is GIANT, a true monster, and the story keeps the same as the final product.

I did some videos long time ago, with exclusive contents from the beta version, animation process, what moves was cut from the final game and more. In this version u can also summon dead demons to fight on your side.

Well, i liked the Namco version, framerate is better, but 50% of the entire game was cut, from moves to enemies, bosses, and unnecessary redesign of Rick and some monsters. (Now u know why on the final game, Rick and some monsters in cutscenes are different...)

Bottlerocket version;

Namco Version (final retail version);

Some videos i uploaded with some exclusive alpha footage and moves that was cut from the final game..(God knows why Namco did that...);

Namco really screwed it all up

amigastar

VGEsoterica VGEsoterica , hell yea dude. Before posting I went to see who made the thread. of course it was you. Quality every time dude. 10/10 thread.

Splatterhouse on the TG-16 was straight up terrifying back in the day. I had never seen anything like it, I was probably 6 when my neighbor got a TG-16 and that game.

Of course of I'm gonna say OG RE 1&2. Those games are so easy and quick if you know what you're doing. Can also be leisure about it and finish the game in 5 hours. Perfect way to spend a Friday night.

Costume Quest is a perfect October game.

Castlevania is another great one, especially Super Castlevania IV, it's really easy by Castlevania standards and hot damn the atmosphere is good in the game. Graphics and OST are absolute god-tier. One of the greatest intros of all time to really set the mood.

Ghouls & Ghosts/Ghosts & Goblins

Luigi's Mansion

Silent Hill 1/2/Homecoming

Absolute solid recommendations in this thread, well done everyone.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

I have Costume Quest 2 in my Steam Library, every October i want to play it but it has a MC Score of 68 so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

MiguelItUp

If you enjoyed that play Cannon Spike. Not horror but similar gameplay vibes and on DC too
Always wanted to play it because I know Arthur was in it and I was always a Ghosts and Goblins/Ghouls fan since I was a kid. You reminded me though, I should check it out. TY!

Krathoon

I once bought a Friday the 13th NES game to give to woman because she played it as a child, but it didn't get past the first date so I kept it. Tough nuggins.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have Costume Quest 2 in my Steam Library, every October i want to play it but it has a MC Score of 68 so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Play it dude. It's super fun and charming. You basically walk around your neighborhood/town and get into random battles.

It's like a cartoon special from the 90s turned into a basic but charming turn based RPG. I haven't played it in years but probably should this Halloween season. There's a sequel but I never checked it out, wasn't aware of it until a little while ago.

Top Bottom