• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splitgate custom games are a must with friends who remember games like Halo 2, Black Ops 1, and GoldenEye

Maybe you've heard of Splitgate and just see it as another free to play competitive shooter. And it is that, but I've never played a game that includes so many classic game modes.

Oddball from Halo? Gun Game from COD? SWAT from Halo? One in the chamber from COD? Spawn with two random weapons? Capture the flag? King of the hill? VIP? Big head mode? Low gravity with fast movement? It's all there and more. The portal mechanics also introduce a fun twist to all of these classic modes.

And the game is just so good at encouraging you to play with friends. It's free, it's cross-play on every platform, it has bot support, and it has private lobbies. You can play with just one other friend, or as many as seven others. It's also the first game I've ever played where you can earn XP AND battle pass XP (if you care about that sort of thing) even when you're playing in a private lobby.

It's been a LONG time since I had this type of fun playing an FPS with friends. Anyone else make the discovery that is Splitgate custom games?

Erebus

I've tried the game and is actually a lot of fun and a refreshing departure from the battle-roayale crap that flooded the market the last couple of years.

I've tried the game and is actually a lot of fun and a refreshing departure from the battle-roayale crap that flooded the market the last couple of years.
Full agreement there. I just think too many people are hearing about this game and thinking it's outdated halo with a gimmick, or worse a COD clone. In reality, it's the best arena shooter in probably well over a decade.

There were already so many ways to play this crazy game, and they just added even more. This is honestly the most fun I've had playing a shooter with friends since GoldenEye.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope the improve the visuals and presentation. I know it's a small team and budget may be an issue, so I've spent money on cosmetics where they don't cause my eyes to bleed.

Gameplay is top notch though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Isn't BR just this + context?

I've been having fun with Splitgate but it really feels one note to me. Can't bore the player. Always feed them action every 4.22 seconds. Every engagement feels the same. There's very little experimentation and almost zero strategy. Voice chat is borderline useless. Just run around and try to click on heads. Winning ~50 percent of your matches illicits zero emotion.

It feels like the cotton candy of PvP.

Last edited:
A good buddy of mine whose a long time Halo player and pretty good at it put me onto it a couple weeks ago and we been running matches daily. He always mentions how 'feel' wise this is the closest to a nice mix of Halo 2 and 3.

It's a really dope game and it's got me back into shooters after taking damn near a decade off them

Top Bottom