• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splitgate PlayStation version ‘is more popular’ after Halo Infinite release, dev claims

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to The Loadout, 1047 CEO Ian Proulx shared the statistic as perceived proof that another high-profile arena shooter in the market could help increase the popularity of its own genre entry, rather than cannibalising the userbase.

“I’m actually glad [Halo Infinite] is out,” he said. “I honestly think that, in the long run, Halo Infinite and Splitgate will help each other. I think that there’s just so much noise and so many battle royales right now, and [these two games] are bringing people over to the arena shooter genre.”

He added: “You know, there’s a lot of kids who have never played Halo, right? There’s a lot of kids who have never played Quake or Unreal Tournament. They’ve never played this kind of game. And getting them exposure to that I think is just a good thing for the genre as a whole.”

"It's a good thing for the genre as a whole."

Bud, it ain't a genre. It's a footnote in history.
giphy.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Article and thread title is really completely misleading, makes it read like he's saying splitgate is the more popular game overall when in fact all he's saying is thier usebase grew since halo launch. Super lame.

Ozriel

M$FT
Article and thread title is really completely misleading, makes it read like he's saying splitgate is the more popular game overall when in fact all he's saying is thier usebase grew since halo launch. Super lame.

just their user base on PlayStation where Halo isn’t available.
He carefully didn’t say anything about PC or Xbox.

THE DUCK

just their user base on PlayStation where Halo isn’t available.
He carefully didn’t say anything about PC or Xbox.

Except that the words are quoted as "is more popular" like its a direct quote in the article title, and yet it's knowhere to be found in the article. Made up clickbait.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Except that the words are quoted as "is more popular" like its a direct quote in the article title, and yet it's knowhere to be found in the article. Made up clickbait.
That’s not at all what the title reads like. It’s saying splitgate is more popular than it was thanks to halo. Is English your second language by any chance?

Portugeezer

The game was compared to Halo a lot, the bump makes sense since Halo isn't on PS.

I didn't read it like that at all.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Splitgate was a fun distraction when I played it, and it certainly leans heavily on Halo’s modes, gameplay and looks. My main beef with it was that all the maps looked/played the same with the portal mechanic, and cross play heavily favoured the precision of K&M.

For PlayStation fans wanting a decent arena shooter, and with Halo not being available to them, it’s a very good shout.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That wording. Lol. It’s not MORE anything .. it’s just less on Xbox because of halo.

Head line should be “ less people playing because of halo “

Roxkis_ii

I've don't think so I've ever heard of splitgate.

Halo really just made me want to play Destiny.
I know Destiny isn't a arena shooter, but for me, it scratches that same itch.

It's just too bad the Destiny season is currently in a lull.

Godot25

Banned
Halo Infinite isn't very huge in terms of content, BtB is broken for 3 weeks and people have huge issues with progression (or lack there of) and store prices and it still no. 1 on Xbox two months after release. This just shows how people craved something new in arena shooter genre or something that isn't constant Call of Duty headless chicken MP or Battle Royale

THE DUCK

That’s not at all what the title reads like. It’s saying splitgate is more popular than it was thanks to halo. Is English your second language by any chance?

Just because you fail at basic English doesn't mean it's someone else's issue. If you put something in quotation marks like that, it's supposed to be a direct quote. It's saying he said "is more popular" and yet the article does not quote him saying that at all. Did you even read the article?
Perhaps this is English at too high a level for you.

Here you go, do some reading, see #1.

ethomaz

Banned
Splitgate is a Halo clone that got relatively popular, everyone said how great it was, and it nose dived in popularity immediately after (because it was never great or even good).
So it is a game that tried to gain sales over the success of another game? Like it was used "clone of Halo" for the whole purpose of sell units? lol

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So it is a game that tried to gain sales over the success of another game? Like it was used "clone of Halo" for the whole purpose of sell units? lol

Well, it released a few years ago and the developers said they made it because they miss old school Halo gameplay. So in a sense, they used Halo to sell units.

554746-Splitgate-Arena-Warfare-Steam-game.jpg

It's rising in popularity on PlayStation right now (I suspect minimally) because PlayStation users want to scratch the Halo Infinite itch.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just because you fail at basic English doesn't mean it's someone else's issue. If you put something in quotation marks like that, it's supposed to be a direct quote. It's saying he said "is more popular" and yet the article does not quote him saying that at all. Did you even read the article?
Perhaps this is English at too high a level for you.

Here you go, do some reading, see #1.
Lol

The title is fine, you just misunderstood it. I didn’t say anything about any direct quotes, just that it said that the game is more popular now thanks to halo.

Dunno why you’re getting so aggressive.

THE DUCK

Lol

The title is fine, you just misunderstood it. I didn’t say anything about any direct quotes, just that it said that the game is more popular now thanks to halo.

Dunno why you’re getting so aggressive.

Might have something to do with challenging my ability to read. The use of direct quotes in this case is misleading at best as the way it's written it's stating Splitgate is more popular than Halo.
The article itself is fine, it's the title that's the issue.

93xfan

Banned
Splitgate is a Halo clone that got relatively popular, everyone said how great it was, and it nose dived in popularity immediately after (because it was never great or even good).
Wouldn’t call it a clone. It has a unique take on the genre, but doesn’t attempt to take much from halo’s sandbox. They really don’t seem to resemble each other.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wouldn’t call it a clone. It has a unique take on the genre, but doesn’t attempt to take much from halo’s sandbox. They really don’t seem to resemble each other.

Can you name a game that plays closer to Halo than Splitgate?

Can you name a game that resembles (art direction) Halo more than Splitgate?

Clone might be a bit harsh but the similarities are staggering.

93xfan

Banned
1. Can you name a game that plays closer to Halo than Splitgate?

2. Can you name a game that resembles (art direction) Halo more than Splitgate?

Clone might be a bit harsh but the similarities are staggering.

1. I can’t name 1 game that plays like Halo. Especially their BIg Team Battle with all the vehicles

2. i find this irrelevant. I’d never mistake the two. Also, Halo has changed their art style multiple times since 343 took over.

Knightime_X

Splitgate is like halo at home for ps users.
Still a cool game despite me losing interest in playing due to the maps not being fun and hectic.

Top Bottom