• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Spoilers) Elden Ring - Why are these guys so tough to beat

Alphagear

I'm talking about the Crucible knights which become Angels after losing half their health.

Still haven't managed to kill a single one of them.

Haven't had any issues so far against any mandatory or optional bosses so far. Just beat Godskin Duo and Maliketh yet the Crucible knight between the 2 managed to kick my ass.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a Melee build so maybe it's more difficult.

Update: Just finished the game and still couldn’t beat a Crucible knight. Finished at lvl 150.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I also have pure melee build and yeah these guys are tough, so far I fought him twice, first time I fought him by himself and another one dual fight with him and Misbegotten.

My basic tactic against him is whiff punish him, blocking is not good option since his attack are heavy and just destroys your stamina, so you better off dodging.

Last edited:

Alphagear

I've only beat the one you go into the circle thing to fight, there's more of those assholes?

Yep they are everywhere.

There's many which look similar to them but to tell the difference these guys don't stagger when you hit them. They become Angels after losing a certain amount of health.

Saber

Gold Member
That fight you have with both Crucible and Misbogen is pure cancer. My battle mage is doing well so far, Night Mist is a good tatic against no hyper mobile enemies like him. Shielded enemies are supposed to make melee builds a nightmare, the best chance you have is hit-n-run tatics.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That fight you have with both Crucible and Misbogen are pure cancer.
i-feel-your-pain-floyd-jackson.gif

That fight broke something inside me and still haven't recovered.

Alphagear Alphagear Also one warning when his health is low and after he does his flying charge attack STAY AWAY from him because he suddenly bring out his giant ass tail and try to hit you and it has ridiculous range.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm talking about the Crucible knights which become Angels after losing half their health.

Still haven't managed to kill a single one of them.

Haven't had any issues so far against any mandatory or optional bosses so far. Just beat Godskin Duo and Maliketh yet the Crucible knight between the 2 managed to kick my ass.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a Melee build so maybe it's more difficult.
I killed one in a Evergaol in Limgrave at about lvl 45. Think i killed him on my 8th go. Took about 10 minutes.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I beat my first one a few hours ago. I found a second, died, got my runes back and ran.

They are hard because they are fast and have high poise. Most enemies are easily broken, not the Knight, he just keeps on swinging.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'd just recommend just putting a marker down on the map where they are and come back later with better stats and equipment instead of smashing your face against it again and again. That, or spend enough time where you know their move set inside and out and get practiced at parrying. The fact that they can pretty much poise through anything you throw at them, you need to be comfortable with getting one attack in and getting away quickly.

They show up again a number of times during regular map traversal as well as put two of them as a boss in at least one dungeon that I found.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That fight you have with both Crucible and Misbogen are pure cancer. My battle mage is doing well so far, Night Mist is a good tatic against no hyper mobile enemies like him. Shielded enemies are supposed to make melee builds a nightmare, the best chance you have is hit-n-run tatics.
They just disappeared for me for the festival.
After the festival, I wanted ot go and talk to the guy (some levels later) and OH FUCK THEY ARE BACK and I got em first try :p
Bleed does the job on the lion. Mimic on the other guy

iHaunter

I gave up on one I was fighting. Just not enough damage. I managed to get 7-8 parry's off though. Just going to level and get a better weapon.

These assholes are very hard with 2H colossal sword. They have infinite poise, are hard to get away from (a lot of range and fast movement) and at least with slow 2H leave you no time to get away after you hit them, so you basically have to trade blows with them. Took me literally 20 tries to kill the one in Limgrave.

Kuranghi

I haven't played but those black smoke teleporting horned guys seem pretty intense for a "trash mob", they remind me so much of the black smoke guys from Ico.

Alphagear

Update.

Just finished the game.

Didn’t beat a Crucible Knight throughout cause I couldn’t no matter what I tried.

They are the True Elden Lords.

Alphagear

How did you get past the Godskin Duo? Playing that as melee is fucking awful.

Lvl 135

Mimic Tear +10, bloodhound fang +10

strength 60
Dex 50
Vigor 50

Make sure to get Mimic tear ashes and get all the ghost gloveworts to level it up to +10

Will make the godskin duo battle look like child’s play.

I finished the game at lvl 150.

Last edited:

Plantoid

People tend to say "just parry" but i can never pull it off consistently, so i just strife and keep a good distance, don't try do break their posture or trade hits, play it safe, don't try to block em unless you have a good greatshield, either parry or play safe

fart town usa

Gold Member
I was fighting one last night. One of those 1v1 battles you get transported to.

I was doing good damage but yea, dude was wrecking me. I noticed that parrying was effective, instantly stuns him. Just gotta get the timing down.

lillars

That fight you have with both Crucible and Misbogen are pure cancer. My battle mage is doing well so far, Night Mist is a good tatic against no hyper mobile enemies like him. Shielded enemies are supposed to make melee builds a nightmare, the best chance you have is hit-n-run tatics.
They are just as annoying with sorcery. Their shield makes magic utterly useless too. I had to run around that fight and cheese him on the platform with my offhand weapon hitting him twice every time he jumped up then I ran away hoping not to get backstabbed. Fortunately that strategy worked once.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm lvl 135 and still haven't beaten one.:messenger_persevering:
Go kill the one in Limgrave. I thought it was hard but didn't get the impression I was under leveled and I killed it after I killed Godrick. I had at the time something like 31str,14dex,22stam,22vit and base everything else with a +5or6 Guts ultra great sword.

Top Bottom