• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake ] Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
kyqOXekU.jpg

Game Information:

Game Title: SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake

Platforms:

• Xbox One (Jan 31, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jan 31, 2023)
  • PC (Jan 31, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jan 31, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Purple Lamp

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 69 average - 48% recommended - 25 reviews

NX8G4Kh.jpg

Critic Reviews

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 68 / 100
SpongeBob SquarePants The Cosmic Shake is a decent platformer, but no more than that. Occasional brilliant moments of pure acting excellence and acceptable comedy are simply insufficient to distinguish this game from the genre's not-so-strong competition. Make no mistake, this game can be fun, but it lacks that certain something that would make it an easy recommendation to fans of platformers.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 75 / 100
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is a decent platformer, it's not great, but it's not the biggest disaster ever either. It comes at a time when platformers are a bit scarce, or at least if we talk about medium or large productions in the industry.

But Why Tho? - Jason Flatt - 6.5 / 10
Spongebob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake does a lot of things really right and well to make this feel like a Spongebob game for the current generation. But its lackluster objectives and its sometimes repetitive platforming and combat hold it back from being great. Instead, we’re left with a decent game that’s well worthwhile for a casual Spongebob or action-platforming fan, but a bit short of expectations for anybody who hoped this would take over as their new favorite Spongebob game.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.8 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake does a lot right. Lots of references, more varied gameplay and a more intense story. Not everything is new, but for fans of the yellow sponge there is simply no way around this title. Only occasional annoying stutters and the collectible items tarnish the overall impression.

Checkpoint Gaming - Sonii Winters - 6 / 10
Amusing lines and colourful costumes can only do so much to shore up an ultimately "okay" game, one which does everything it sets out to do surprisingly well, but isn't really doing enough to be as great as it could be. With all that being said, your kids may end up loving this game to bits, and if that's who the game is for, then who's to say they're wrong?

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 7.5 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is exactly the type of licensed game we need more of. It's loyal in tone to the show, while also being a good platformer that tells a worthwhile story within its universe.

Cultured Vultures - Jimmy Donnellan - 5.5 / 10
The Cosmic Shake can be a fun collectathon with some charming moments, but the lack of original ideas and finesse make it feel more like an expansion than a brand new game.

GGRecon - Daniel Hollis - 3 / 5
Despite reservations about the levels and combat in particular, there’s still a lot of fun to be had here. The platforming feels great and every frame of the game is gorgeous to look at. We just hope the next adventure takes a bigger leap in the gameplay department.

GameGrin - Nathan Lakritz - 7 / 10
While it doesn't do anything new for the platforming genre, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake offers innocent adventures with iconic characters across Bikini Bottom.

GameLuster - Nirav Gandhi - 7 / 10
Overall, if you’re looking for a solid 3D platformer with next gen graphics and great performance, you found it. The humor is similar to the humor found in the show in the last few years, which is to say not nearly as good as the first few seasons of the show, but there are some great jokes here and there. It’s always nice to see Spongebob and Patrick on another adventure, and I really had a blast with all that positive energy. While it didn’t recapture the magic of its predecessor, I think the $40 price tag is right, and if you’ve been looking forward to it I heartily recommend it!

GameSkinny - Bryn Gelbart - 6 / 10
Far from a cosmic shake-up, the latest SpongeBob game is a throwback faithful to a fault.

GameSpot - James Carr - 7 / 10
Classic SpongeBob humor combined with solid platforming makes for a fun nostalgia trip through the multiverse in The Cosmic Shake.

Gamer Escape - Justin Mercer - 7 / 10
Its adherence to the cartoon is also its saving grace, as excising the IP from this title leaves you with little more than a simplistic, passable platformer. If nautical nonsense be something you wish, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake will absolutely deliver enjoyment on par with the cartoon itself—just don’t expect there to be much of anything you haven’t seen before.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 65 / 100
SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake doesn't live up to its predecessor, but is still an enjoyable enough romp through the sea. There are a ton of delightful callbacks that can spice up the safe level design and it's fun to see alternate versions of beloved characters. If you're a fan it's worth playing through, but if not you may want to skip this one.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 8 / 10
SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake is a triumphant and varied 3D platformer that no fan of the series or the genre will want to miss. It's not the game that'll change your mind if 3D collectathon-style games aren't your thing, but it demonstrates at every step that it's not just some half-hearted cash-in. Focused level design, lots of gameplay variety, tight controls, and a charming cast voiced by the original voice artists all combine to make this one of the best SpongeBob games yet. Though it's occasionally let down by performance issues, we'd still give this one a strong recommendation to anyone who likes a 3D platformer and a Krabby Patty.

NintendoWorldReport - John Rairdin - 7.5 / 10
While it may not often affect actual playability, it's hard to ignore when the image simply freezes for five seconds. Perhaps appropriately, this feels like a lost licensed platformer of the early 2000s. That comes with the good and the bad, but there is certainly a lot to like here, even if it's a bit rough around the edges.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Wait
Spongebob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake is a serviceable platformer that succeeds in offering a simple yet fun time for its target audience. While it is a surprisingly entertaining game, the fluctuating difficulty spikes can give experienced gamers something to enjoy but can be a bit frustrating for others, especially the children who are fans of the show.
The game does have enough extras and content to keep players busy, especially with the challenge of collecting every costume. Overall, if you’re looking for a relaxing and relatively stress-free affair with the cast of the show, Spongebob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake could be the game you’re looking for.

PSX Brasil - Victor Vitório - Portuguese - 80 / 100
Enjoyable, undemanding gameplay combines with absurdly humorous storytelling and excellent voice acting to make SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake a fun and charismatic campaign that will be enjoyed by kids, fans of the characters, and anyone who enjoys straightfoward 3D platformers. It can also be a great way to share the experience with the little ones, whether it's passing the controller to them or just having the kids watch you play.

PlayStation Universe - Neil Bolt - 7 / 10
SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake makes for an inconsistent start, but grows into the kind of fun-filled platformer its star deserves.

Press Start - Kieron Verbrugge - 7 / 10
The Cosmic Shake really does feel like a direct sequel to Battle for Bikini Bottom, taking advantage of nostalgia for both that era of 3D platformers and of course the source material of the show. A cavalcade of jokes and references delivered through inoffensive, if uninspired, game design, it's sure to land nicely with the right audience even if it doesn't seek to have its genre peers shaking like jelly.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 6 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is an earnest effort to produce another great game for the character, but it hasn't completely worked. The premise is good, the level design is imaginative, and there's a clear love for the IP with its countless references and costumes. However, some of the gameplay feels very dated, while a number of presentational shortcomings and a laundry list of bugs hold it back. If you're a big SpongeBob fan, there's absolutely a good time to be had here, but a general lack of polish and some played-out design mean it's not quite the sweet victory we were hoping for.

Rectify Gaming - Tyler Nienburg - 6 / 10
Despite some of the games issues, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake gives you a unique SpongeBob experience we have yet to see.

Shacknews - Morgan Shaver - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10
The Cosmic Shake houses a fantastic recreation of the adventures that SpongeBob SquarePants has gone on throughout the years, only let down by an inability to provide adequate context for its gameplay mechanics.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 6 / 10
SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake is a really bland affair! It’s disappointing and uninspired level design, that often feels like it drags on way too long, mixed with its really dated gameplay mechanics makes for quite a generic platforming adventure with stiff controls. Whilst the narrative is entertaining and does its absolute best to be a redeeming factor, it just isn’t enough to be a selling point for The Cosmic Shake. I am honestly saddened to say that SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is quite a dull experience and is not worth picking up.

TheSixthAxis - Steve C - 6 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is a decent 3D platformer filled with all the SpongeBob humour you'd expect, but it feels like a step back when compared to the far more imaginative Battle for Bikini Bottom: Reheydrated. The lack of alternate characters or costume abilities really hurt it, as does the very linear level design, so while there's still fun to be had but I was left with a general feeling of disappointment.

Try Hard Guides - Christian Harrison - 7.5 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is a tribute to over 20 years of the show’s history, banking on classic references and memes to impress players. While there is a lot to do in this new version of Bikini Bottom, it largely involves much of the same linear progression as past games. If you’ve followed and enjoyed the last two decades of the show, then this game will likely be perfect for you.

WayTooManyGames - Heidi Hawes - 9 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is an all around fantastic game. I was genuinely impressed by the sheer amount of variety in the level designs, gameplay mechanics, and minigames.

We Got This Covered - Tristyn Akbas - 3.5 / 5
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is a short and fun collectathon that feels like the original cartoon in all the best ways. Frequent bugs and a tad too much repetition weigh the game down, but it's not enough to make it anything less than a good time.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 7.5 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake is a solid game that will make series fans happy and surprise the more casual ones. The action in the levels meanders a bit, and the platforming can be a little rough, but the majority of the action is good. The multitude of secrets to uncover give the game some real legs after you complete the campaign. If future entries are handled by this developer, SpongeBob fans will have some good stuff to look forward to in the years to come.

cublikefoot - Claire Ferrin - 6.5 / 10
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake, while not quite as good as its predecessor, still manages to carve its own identity through its fun platforming and storyline.

Last edited:

nikos

I never watched the show but I'm having fun with the game. It's a fun, easy to play platformer that seems to slowly be introducing new mechanics. Here's some PC gameplay as well as all of the game's settings, which is pretty barebones but the game looks and runs great. Perhaps more settings will be added when it releases tomorrow.

Kuranghi

I never watched the show but I'm having fun with the game. It's a fun, easy to play platformer that seems to slowly be introducing new mechanics. Here's some PC gameplay as well as all of the game's settings, which is pretty barebones but the game looks and runs great. Perhaps more settings will be added when it releases tomorrow.

If its the same as Rehydrated you probably need to edit engine.ini and gameusersettings.ini to get better AA, turn off post processing, increase model LOD/shadow distance quality and supersample etc.

I'm getting this later on today and will boot the game once first to have a look at the post processing and AA quality then if need be apply my standard UE4 ini edits (maybe with a smadge extra sharpening given the art style).

PM me tomorrow and I'll give you my settings if you want.

nikos

If its the same as Rehydrated you probably need to edit engine.ini and gameusersettings.ini to get better AA, turn off post processing, increase model LOD/shadow distance quality and supersample etc.

I'm getting this later on today and will boot the game once first to have a look at the post processing and AA quality then if need be apply my standard UE4 ini edits (maybe with a smadge extra sharpening given the art style).

PM me tomorrow and I'll give you my settings if you want.

Completely forgot about that. Looks like it's GameUserSettings.ini in C:\Users\(yourname)\AppData\Local\CosmicShake\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

For anybody using ultrawide displays, it zooms to fill. You can use UUU to pull the FOV out via its console as a temporary fix.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really, really enjoyed BFBB (got all cheevos) and picked this game up for cheap. Well, I was pretty disappointed by it. It just didn't feel good to play, the level design was poor, and the entire thing was just kind of boring.

Top Bottom