• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spooky games 👻

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
07-A32-EFD-8-D58-489-E-8-E2-B-B168-CB915-C17.jpg

I found myself playing Shadows of Rose after going out trick or treating with the kids. Considering the events of Village and what happened to Ethan’s family. It comes across as being a decent ghost story.

Last edited:

Krathoon

What was that Japanese game where the creepy thing follows the little girl?

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
You could say Night City is beautiful but god damn it’s corrupt as fuck, life feels cheap and have hard time believing anyone can raise proper family in world like that.
Honestly, playing this game makes me wonder why anyone would want to persue a criminal life as a merc for hire. Live by the Sword, Die by the sword and what profit is it to a man that he should gain the whole world and lose his soul bible verses comes to mind.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly, playing this game makes me wonder why anyone would want to persue a criminal life as a merc for hire. Live by the Sword, Die by the sword and what profit is it to a man that he should gain the whole world and lose his soul bible verses comes to mind.
In Night City you are either super rich and powerful or criminal, thats only way you survive and even that not guaranteed. In Edgerunners David's mom had to sell military chrome in black market in order get her son to proper school because her honest job just wasn't enough, but still end up dead because random shoot out in street and from there David had no other choice but pursue criminal life.

-Zelda-

Banned
In Night City you are either super rich and powerful or criminal, thats only way you survive and even that not guaranteed. In Edgerunners David's mom had to sell military chrome in black market in order get her son to proper school because her honest job just wasn't enough, but still end up dead because random shoot out in street and from there David had no other choice but pursue criminal life.
I am not up on my Cyberpunk lore to be honest, were Misty, Vic, and River, Goro criminals at any point before the games events, or even during? Judy, also? I really like these characters, but if I am being honest, most of the others kind of rub me the wrong way. The Types like Dexter, Saburo, ect. I still do not know what Alt was supposed to be, either professionally or romantically.

On topic, I have not played many spooky games this October, but for me, the Spooky season lasts until the middle of November, so I still have time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I am not up on my Cyberpunk lore to be honest, were Misty, Vic, and River, Goro criminals at any point before the games events, or even during? Judy, also? I really like these characters, but if I am being honest, most of the others kind of rub me the wrong way. The Types like Dexter, Saburo, ect. I still do not know what Alt was supposed to be, either professionally or romantically.

On topic, I have not played many spooky games this October, but for me, the Spooky season lasts until the middle of November, so I still have time.
Well for example River try be a good cop but he got kicked off because trying expose the truth about the case. Most cases law mostly there to protect corporation in night city more normal citizens.

Keihart

Tis the season of the witch so I'm playing Bayonetta 3.
I'm also playing Siren and hopefully Siren 2, but Bayo 3 is eating way more of my time than i expected, the game is huge, i'm like 32 hours in.

Kaachan

iu

Don't let the top-down perspective fool you, Darkwood is legit one of the scariest games ever made.
Interesting. I've seen this game circulating for the longest time, but I didn't know it was a top-down perspective game

Guilty_AI

Its not really about being a criminal or not, the whole idea is that the enviroment itself is one big boot pressing down on you regardless of who you are or what you do, even corpos live under constant pressure and stress and have violent ends. You either sell your soul so you can live, or die for nothing while trying to stand up for righteousness. Really spooky 😨

On topic, i haven't picked up anything for halloween, but i have a bunch of chillas art games waiting for me in my collection.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Spoilers thanks fam
There’s a lot to the plot, but sorry if that felt like a spoiler. What if I said that doesn’t tell you exactly what you think it does. What’s the ghost? I edited it. Maybe if you edited your quote, we can double down on covering up whatever you feel like it’s trying to imply. 🤷‍♂️

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Those cybepunk posts are so low-effort/boring. Can't even make your shitposts funny eh?

Moving on, about every 2 years or so I replay one of the best horror games, Alien Isolation. It's the definition of perfection in terms of atmosphere, tension, AI. And this game came out 8 years ago and still looks incredibly solid. I highly recommend watching the first movie Alien and then diving into this one so you can be in awe how incredibly accurate it is compared to the first movie in terms of atmosphere, from every object to every sound.

6E2520E05B98608F34FBED9FECE622C443C81CFA

B4C4CF767191763510708BDA0163271AF76791F7

5768EAE5E3FC6E2A40BA2AB049A313758D1614F8

Last edited:
Haven't replayed any resident this season. Fuck paying 20 bucks for the dlc of 8, I've always been disappointed with the dlcs.

Have watched streams of some Chilla games though.
Might play signalis, for the nostalgia feel

Mr.ODST

There’s a lot to the plot, but sorry if that felt like a spoiler. What if I said that doesn’t tell you exactly what you think it does. What’s the ghost? I edited it. Maybe if you edited your quote, we can double down on covering up whatever you feel like it’s trying to imply. 🤷‍♂️
No its ok, I just want to pluck the courage up to play Village some day, not completed VII as I was doing a VR runthrough on PSVR and that was bad enough.

Cyberpunk makes me scared for the future of humanity
people might think this is a joke but seriously playing cyberpunk depresses the fuck right out of me and no it's not because it's a "bad game".

cyberpunk or dystopias are often romanticized and you get people saying shit like "I'd love to live in a cyberpunk world". NO, you wouldn't. that shit is fucking miserable and horrific. if you want to live in a cyberpunk world after playing cyberpunk then you totally missed the entire point of the game.

the way the world is going looks like we're going right down the path set in the game. as much as i enjoyed the game for what it is it's not something i want to live through (nuclear war, corporations ruling over governments, totally fucked planet, rich = richer/poor = poorer, transhumanity [humans merging with technology], etc)

Last edited:

NickFire

Friday the 13th is still solid. Sucks that dedicated servers are gone (when host leaves) but it holds up well in visuals and intensity.

Probably never happens, but who knows. Maybe the two IP holders reach a deal and the dev decides to upgrade it to current gen and add content some day. Fans can dream at least.

Guilty_AI

cyberpunk or dystopias are often romanticized and you get people saying shit like "I'd love to live in a cyberpunk world". NO, you wouldn't.
I mean, if there's any cyberpunk themed story that makes you wanna live in it, then its doing cyberpunk wrong. I think theres just people don't understand what separates a cyberpunk story from one that is merely futuristic/sci-fi.

the way the world is going looks like we're going right down the path set in the game. as much as i enjoyed the game for what it is it's not something i want to live through (nuclear war, corporations ruling over governments, totally fucked planet, rich = richer/poor = poorer, transhumanity [humans merging with technology], etc)
We're heading towards a cyberpunk world without the cyber.

No cool transhumanistic tech for us. Only social disparity, crime and depression.

Last edited:

Keihart

people might think this is a joke but seriously playing cyberpunk depresses the fuck right out of me and no it's not because it's a "bad game".

cyberpunk or dystopias are often romanticized and you get people saying shit like "I'd love to live in a cyberpunk world". NO, you wouldn't. that shit is fucking miserable and horrific. if you want to live in a cyberpunk world after playing cyberpunk then you totally missed the entire point of the game.

let's be fair tho, the game is pretty tame compared to other "cyberpunk" worlds in fiction.
Bladerunner, Gunm and Akira are way worse shitholes.

I have been playing Outlast. I am not really enjoying it. Poorly done enemy AI, the entire game is just pitch black despite the building having electricity, the NPCs seem to be programmed to check next to you, but not for you, and if you get cornered and can't really move, you can't even push an enemy away. There are comical amounts of body parts that are just stored on shelves throughout the game. All of this makes it feel not very scary. I don't think it's worth me finishing!

Last edited:

Filben

Currently playing Alan Wake on PS5 and A Plague Tale Requiem on PC.

I've half past through with both of them, next game will be Signalis. Played the demo a few months ago and was so pleasently surprised I've bought it full price.

My country can't really develop anything but Anno and Landwirtschaftssimulator (and even janky RPG like Elex is going downhill) so I'm gladly spending money on an indie game like this.

Top Bottom