• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Announcement Possibly Teased for 2023

Not sure that is true after Jak 2 these games weren't really traditional platformers and Ratchet never was.

I think they should revisit putting resources into genres they haven't touched in a while especially after seeing Nintendo have a lot of success with it.

But couldn't you argue the same in reverse? Nintendo has good selling platformers because that is one of their stable genres. not to mention the console demographics and similar games. The libraries are different.

Also I know Ratchet isn't a traditional platformer, but you brought it up earlier. After that switch in tone by Insomniac (and they aren't going back) after the PS2, I don't think Ratchet can be grown as a series.

We have Rift Apart and it was a show case graphical title at the time for the PS5 early on and you would think that it would be a strong seller as more PS5's sold as a stable game, and then that report dropped of it only selling 1.1 million, and Sony's been quiet on its sales ever since.

Many of the PS5 buyers then were new according to Sony, so I just don't think platformers can be big on a Sony platform like a Nintendo one at retail.

After that Crash design reboot PLEASE no more changes on the character design.

They made him doofier for the upcoming rumble game.

Last edited:
But couldn't you argue the same in reverse? Nintendo has good selling platformers because that is one of their stable genres. not to mention the console demographics and similar games. The libraries are different.

Also I know Ratchet isn't a traditional platformer, but you brought it up earlier. After that switch in tone by Insomniac (and they aren't going back) after the PS2, I don't think Ratchet can be grown as a series.

We have Rift Apart and it was a show case graphical title at the time for the PS5 early on and you would think that it would be a strong seller as more PS5's sold as a stable game, and then that report dropped of it only selling 1.1 million, and Sony's been quiet on its sales ever since.

Many of the PS5 buyers then were new according to Sony, so I just don't think platformers can be big on a Sony platform like a Nintendo one at retail.

They made him doofier for the upcoming rumble game.

I specifically said Ratchet never fit the genre and no I don't think it can be grown. I think if Sony took transmedia more seriously when they did the Ratchet movie, maybe... but it seems like that time has come and gone.

That being said, I think the ps ecosystem could have any game be successful given the size of the userbase.

I bought rift apart, but it wasn't really a great game and it wasn't really a platformer.

I specifically said Ratchet never fit the genre and no I don't think it can be grown. I think if Sony took transmedia more seriously when they did the Ratchet movie, maybe... but it seems like that time has come and gone.

That being said, I think the ps ecosystem could have any game be successful given the size of the userbase.

I bought rift apart, but it wasn't really a great game and it wasn't really a platformer.

Userbase on a spreadsheet is how many companies make mistakes, that's why demographics are considered and the attempt to track trends in interest.

If the userbase doesn't want platformers it won't matter the size. We've seen big games from third parties get no where, and some of the biggest (relative) games were nostalgia pulls and still not at the numbers you are implying are possible.

If the userbase hasn't done anything after all these years gens later (and we are seeing based on Sony's output where the demographics interests are heading the last many years) in regards to gravitating toward platformers, than it may be as simple as at the moment, there isn't room for them to succeed in the current climate. On Playstation or Xbox.

Top Bottom