• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces SINoALICE for mobile (Creative Director: Yoko Taro) [Up: Okabe]

20cent

Banned
Oh wow, so fucking in, so good, we need more quality game like this on mobile

yeah the gameplay videos and screenshot look fantastic and the game mechanics are crayyyyyzy, sooo goooooood can't wait to IAP~~~~ Christ.

Ubernube

that's what i'm saying, i don't play on handheld or mobile devices, so atleast we got one last core experience out of him

I don't think being the creative director (which in this case likely entails writing the story and maybe giving the dev team ideas to fuck with players) for a mobile game would impair him from being a creative director or writer for other games. The dude's writing a manga that last I checked is still ongoing, so I think he appears more than capable of handling multiple projects at once. Hell, he probably worked on the mobile game's story while still working on Nier, what with the mobile game coming out so soon and all.

Now let's hope Nier actually does well, cause otherwise he's probably gonna be stuck on mobile games for a while.

Deft Beck

For those wondering about Demons' Score, it was a rhythm action game by iNiS (the Ouendan people) with a Yoko Taro story and music by all sorts of famous JP game composers.

Unfortunately, the game cost upwards of $40+ after all IAPs on iOS in the West, as opposed to $20 in Japan.

Awful.

Byvar

Looks like a stealth NieR universe game. I'm 99% sure that's Keiichi Okabe music and that trailer is full of the NieR script. The books all look like Grimoire Weiss without the face. (And NieR 1 had two libraries in it)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The plot teaser reminds me a bit of the first NieR concept of being trapped in a library in which the fairy tale stories come to life.

That was my first thought too; be nice if Yoko got a chance to revisit that as it seemed like a really interesting concept. Particularly the stuff described in Grimoire Nier about everyone being doomed because they were trapped into their roles "as written".

Squire

Banned
It'd be especially interesting if something in Automata pointed at this game.

Sort of like the line you can draw from
Accord to Automata.

JillSandwich

Neo Member
Maybe the game is related to the Drakengard/Nier universe? It uses the angelic script as well, at least.

The original concept for Nier was a ps2 game with a heavier fairy tale theme than the final game, you can see remnants of it in the boss names and the lost woods area.

There was originally supposed to be 13 total grimoires to collect, each bestowing a different type of power. I'm thinking that this is the "unfinished story" that the narrator refers to in the trailer.

Byvar

Seeing the Angelic script pop up again in this trailer made me wonder it it can be translated, and apparently it's just romanized Japanese text written in Angelic script. So I gave it a go and I was able to confirm the Angelic script in this trailer is also just romanized Japanese, but it's very exhausting and pretty much a waste of time, so I didn't bother to continue. Some of it contains weird stuff, like this (@0:26 in the video):
RFQt0ln.png

Basically, the word "maio" is repeated 10x here right after mentioning "soul", though none of the other pages have any repeated words (and every page has different text!), so I reckon it must be special somehow, but I couldn't figure out what that word actually means. Possibly "魔世" (evil spirit, or something like that)? Looks like it's going to be one of those typical Yoko Taro stories.

Anyway, it's cool that they bothered to make all that text different and fitting with the context of the story. A lot of developers would probably just type some gibberish to fill up one page, and then copy that to all other pages, but Yoko Taro's team filled up many different pages with Japanese text that hints at the themes of the game, even though (almost) no one would bother to read it. Very nice!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is it me or do those characters look like younger versions of the sisters in Drakengard 3?

Yeah... it kinda feels like D3.

This subtitled promo compilation gives a better sense of it's overall... flavour :D

Make sure you watch til the end, some of the character cameos are... well, you'll see!

Mailbox

Lol, I better backup my phones data... I know Yokos ways....

delete all your phones memory. All your contacts, all your pictures, everything.

fuck, the fact this has Choas/ Angelic makes me think this might fit somewhere in the DrakenNier verse... >.<

Looks pretty cool. Seems to be some sort of battle royale or something, involving killing all of the other characters in order to revive one's author.

There were scenario draft things posted as well. I translated the first half into English, might get to the rest later.

Chapter 1

&#9632;
Scenario, first verse
----------------------------------------
Alice awakens.
In the middle of the <dark void>. There is a <faint noise>. The scent of <blood>.
She doesn't know where this world is.
But she knows what she must do.
The man who created her...
Louis Carrol, must be <revived>.

Alice knew this as well:

In order to fulfill that <wish>
The other characters
Must [all die by her hand].

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, second verse
I feel no pain.
For I know that this wish... is cursed.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, third verse
Hesitation will not be tolerated.
Because if I don't destroy them...
I will be destroyed.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, fourth verse
Even if I lose my right arm.
Even if I lose my left...
I will not give up.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, fifth verse
It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.

It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.
I react to the screams.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, sixth verse
I will not hold onto selfish hopes...
Such as the hope for forgiveness.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, seventh verse
I'm afraid.
If this continues, I won't meet them.
If this continues, I'll learn the truth...

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, eighth verse
Me, endlessly fighting,
My enemy, endlessly falling before me.
I wonder which of us is the lucky one.

&#9632;
Mini-scenario, ninth verse
That person...
I want to meet them.
I want to meet them.
I want to meet them.

&#9632;
Scenario, tenth verse
I understood.
If I hope to <save> someone,
I must <sacrifice> someone.
But is that truly acceptable?
Taking this many <lives>,
Gathering up this much <suffering>,
And at the end of it all, <salvation>...
Even though I ought to be <beyond forgiveness>.

&#9632;
Scenario, final verse
Thick, <black blood> flows
From the blade thrust into the nightmare.
The <death throes> ring out.
She shivers as <the soul withers>.
But I have steeled myself for this.
Because this horror is <just the first step>
to revive ”him."

[ Restraint ].
This is the chain of fate by which Alice is bound.

Top Bottom