• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix believes Outriders Xbox Game Pass launch has paid off

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It is one of the highest profile third-party games so far to arrive on the service on the day of its release, and Square Enix believes the boost to the online shooter’s player count means the decision was justified.

“In regards to the response to Outriders, while there were slight issues with bugs and the like on launch, we believe it has gotten off to a good start as a new IP,” Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said during the company’s full year financial results briefing on May 13 (the comments have only today been published in English).

“In addition, we have been pleasantly surprised as the digital sales ratio for the title have been very high, and the number of active users has also beaten our expectations.

“We believe that our decision to make Outriders available with Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass as soon as the title launched also worked in our favor. (to build an installed base for the game),” he added.

In an article published on VGC on Thursday, Ampere Analysis analyst Piers Harding-Rolls said certain games appear well suited to Xbox Game Pass – and Outriders ticked a lot of the boxes.

“Certain types of day one games are particularly suited to Game Pass – generally, those that benefit more from a ready-made audience compared to just competing with other premium releases in the Microsoft Store,” the analyst wrote.

“These include games based on new IP, smaller independent titles, those that are service-based and monetise in-game, online multiplayer titles, or those that might struggle to gain exposure versus the biggest AAA games.”

elliot5

Inb4 quarantined

Nice to see some word from Square on it. It was up on the charts on places like Steam and PS despite the GP addition for console. PCF should've had a better end game monetization plan to capitalize though.

south park GIF

This may hurt the narrative, but Gamepass is the best possible home for A and AA games. It just so happens I love swimming in 7s.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I wish they would share more details

From the article

"The game attracted over 3.5 million unique players between its April 1 release and May 1, according to internal data from its publisher, although it didn’t break down the figure at all or comment on Xbox Game Pass specifically at the time, so it remains unclear what percentage of the player base the service’s subscribers account for."

And then there is "

"83% Of Physical Outriders UK Sales Were On PlayStation Consoles"​

So what exactly was there expectations?

From the article

"The game attracted over 3.5 million unique players between its April 1 release and May 1, according to internal data from its publisher, although it didn’t break down the figure at all or comment on Xbox Game Pass specifically at the time, so it remains unclear what percentage of the player base the service’s subscribers account for."

And then there is "

Gamepass paid them up front. Good.

The exposure lead to more sales on PSN. Good.

Plantoid

It was a fun game, but the endgame didn't interest me, bugs didn't help either (no coop because of the fear of losing gear)
But overall I consider it a good game and it was worth my time, but glad I didn't pay $60 for it...

elliot5

From the article

And then there is "

Why come in with big bold letters on UK numbers for physical sales? It's weird seeing UK numbers always being used as some sort of gotcha. Of course physical sales will be higher for PS when PS is more popular and Xbox favors digital + it was on game pass.

Square doesn't owe any of us the discreet numbers and breakdown of goals and expectations. They say they were satisfied and especially commented on DIGITAL sale numbers which makes a physical sales from UK useless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this game would have struggled big time if not for gamepass.
i bought it anyway because i am a loot whore.
And this game so far is my surprise of the year,

I enjoyed it WAY more then i think i would.
the endgame is absolute sheit tho

Iced Arcade

From the article

And then there is "

I mean most Xbox gamers have gamepass sooooo it would be kinda weird if that percentage was any different lol

sale number comparisons for success is pointless now with both platforms focusing on different streams for content.

Stooky

I mean most Xbox gamers have gamepass sooooo it would be kinda weird if that percentage was any different lol

sale number comparisons for success is pointless now with both platforms focusing on different streams for content.
depends on the what microsoft payed Square for those downloads. Square could be getting money from a GPASS download that would have never been a sale and still collecting money on regular sales . At that point its just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
+another 1. 🤭 🤞

Releasing a new IP like Outriders on a service like Game Pass could be a risky gamble. Fortunately for Square Enix, the bet paid off. Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda says digital sales for Outriders have skyrocketed and player counts are beyond the publisher's expectations--Game Pass isn't the only factor, though, and the game's Steam playerbase was huge at launch. In short, Outriders is a success.

"While there were slight issues with bugs and the like on launch, we believe it has gotten off to a good start as a new IP. In addition, we have been pleasantly surprised as the digital sales ratio for the title have been very high, and the number of active users has also beaten our expectations. We believe that our decision to make Outriders available with Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass as soon as the title launched also worked in our favor to build an installed base for the game," Matsuda said in a Q&A session with investors.

Merkades

I'm more interested in whether Outriders 2 will be on GamePass day one. It does make sense to put things on there if you want to build an install/fan base. But if it already has that, then does it still make sense? Maybe, I certainly don't know. I still doubt I will go GamePass though (PC version that is, I don't have and won't buy an Xbox, because I have a nice PC).

Helghan

From the article

And then there is "

You are comparing 1 region with global figures... That doesn't make sense. You don't have a clue if the UK is representsable for the rest of the world.

anthony2690

Banned
Top 3 most played games at launch, it is currently in the top 30 most played now on xbox. (UK)

Also Yakuza:Like a dragon has cracked the top 50 (29 currently) (UK)

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
You are comparing 1 region with global figures... That doesn't make sense. You don't have a clue if the UK is representsable for the rest of the world.

The ps5 has sold thtough almost twice more globally than xbx ser and ps4 was at 112 plus million ..several months ago ....
And game pass subscribers are at 23 million

So it's pretty easy to conclude that there are 5 times more ps players to account for in the equation while comparing to "satisfied gamepass numbers" and even with recently released RE8 was 80% on PS consoles....

It's pretty easy to conclude majority of players are on PS..

If the numbers were flipped I am sure SE would have stated GP generated more players ... hiding numbers is just a thank MS for the cheque...

Helghan

The ps5 has sold thtough almost twice more globally than xbx ser and ps4 was at 112 plus million ..several months ago ....
And game pass subscribers are at 23 million

So it's pretty easy to conclude that there are 5 times more ps players to account for in the equation while comparing to "satisfied gamepass numbers" and even with recently released RE8 was 80% on PS consoles....

It's pretty easy to conclude majority of players are on PS..

If the numbers were flipped I am sure SE would have stated GP generated more players ... hiding numbers is just a thank MS for the cheque...
But your link of 80% was in retail, right? So if outriders was on game pass you already have a huge number of Xbox players that don't buy it physically, but just download it.

Besides all of that, I do think that most players are on PS. There are just more PS users than Xbox.

MagnesG

Banned

From the article

And then there is "

Try looking up the average numbers UK physical sales next time before tripping, spewing out percentage like that matters.

Three

Also UK retail sales are a really small amount of games. Outriders is lucky if it sold 20k copies that week. Compare that to 3.5mre players.
I'm sorry but what is wrong with 20k copies in a week? Aren't you the one going on about outriders on steam? You keep saying steam is where it sold most.
It had what 125k players on steam in a MONTH.
3.5 million unique players and most of them aren't on steam and the player base dwindled

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think for a game like Outriders (or Avengers or Gotham knights etc) having a sufficient user base at launch is so critical that it makes sense to go for GP / PS+ or equivalent. You guarantee that some people will try it and that you won’t be a bust at launch, which is almost impossible to recover from.

Another thing is that Outriders is a genuinely good shooter, I find it a lot more fun to play than Destiny for example. It rewards aggressive play, it’s fast, smooth, responsive. If a game is bad, you won’t get any traction even if you put it on GP/PS+.

Goalus

From the article

And then there is "

How many physical units would you guess were sold in the UK?
10k?
20k?

I'm sorry but what is wrong with 20k copies in a week?
Release week. In subsequent weeks, it sold way less.
Aren't you the one going on about outriders on steam? You keep saying steam is where it sold most.
It had what 125k players on steam in a MONTH.
You're reading it wrong. It had 125k concurrent players at its peak. That means players logged in and playing the game at the same time. It had many, many more buyers obviously.

Spidey Fan

Banned
According to neogaf, UK and Japan are what console hardware and game sales are for the world.

I am honestly sick of this UK shit. Like, I ain't living in UK, so those data are useless. Same for Japan.

assurdum

Banned
Well for such game, I guess they are right. Promote it "freely" than tempt the users to buy it when it's not more available.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
According to neogaf, UK and Japan are what console hardware and game sales are for the world.

I am honestly sick of this UK shit. Like, I ain't living in UK, so those data are useless. Same for Japan.
I used to feel the same about NPD in the 360/PS3 era and that really didn't mean jack

cireza

Banned

From the article

And then there is "

Who cares about the sales of a single country ?

The company who made the game is telling you they are happy with Gamepass, that's all you need to know.

Chukhopops

Who cares about the sales of a single country ?

The company who made the game is telling you they are happy with Gamepass, that's all you need to know.
And they tell that to their shareholders, the only ones they would not take any risk lying to.

Looking forward to more day 1 3rd party games on top of the already absurd selection of 1st party games :lollipop_grinning_sweat: .

Spidey Fan

Banned
I used to feel the same about NPD in the 360/PS3 era and that really didn't mean jack
We are in digital age now. People buy their games digitally. Physical games will due out soon. We can scream about it in the internet, but once those companies see no financial incentive, they will drop it soon. To them, Physical copies is a hassle, compared to digital sales.

Top Bottom