• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix FY24 Q2 Earnings - Net sales up, operating income down | Franchise sales update - Final Fantasy at 185M units & Dragon Quest at 88M units

HvmlmTB.png

EdojJU6.png

fQVBNLH.png

Sources used:

Go_Ly_Dow

Will be interesting to see where the new CEO takes things. He wants to rekindle a few older dormant IPs.

yazenov

Square-Enix should release Star Ocean 2 remake, Final Fantasy 16, and Final Fantasy 7 remake 2 on Xbox and Gamepass to double their sales if not triple their engagement—such a waste of opportunity cost.

One could say that Square Enix shot themselves in the foot with this decision to pass on Xbox instead of Gamepassing their game on it as far as I am concerned since I'm an expert in this subject.

Mr.Phoenix

Square-Enix should release Star Ocean 2 remake, Final Fantasy 16, and Final Fantasy 7 remake 2 on Xbox and Gamepass to double their sales if not triple their engagement—such a waste of opportunity cost.

One could say that Square Enix shot themselves in the foot with this decision to pass on Xbox instead of Gamepassing their game on it as far as I am concerned since I'm an expert in this subject.
Release on Xbox I get, but how does releasing on gamepass help them?

Likely in the range of 4-5mil.

FF franchise sales have increased by 5mil from 180mil to over 185mil from the previous quarter and the game sold 3mil week one but like most FF games is frontloaded. So 4-5mil is a safe bet.
I am not sure if FF remasters are not included in these numbers though. If FF16 had 5m, they would have told during the call.

Go_Ly_Dow

I am not sure if FF remasters are not included in these numbers though. If FF16 had 5m, they would have told during the call.
They will be included in the numbers. It probably not at 5mil yet, but somewhere between 4-5mil. My guess is we get a sales update with the announcement of the PC release which may be at TGA. Hopefully a sneak peak of the 2 DLC's as well.

Unknown?

Lol they couldn't double their sells before gamepass, it's dead now if they do.

Edit* You got me! :D

Last edited:

lyan

Not surprised but guess Paranormasight didn't move the needle at all for any mention of it, great niche game if anyone wonders.

Go_Ly_Dow

Square probably won't get much revenue on Xbox from game sales, but there's probably good money to be made cutting deals with MS for some of the more popular games which are console exclusive to PS, like FF7R, FF16 etc... In terms of cutting deals for bringing these to the platform in the first place (GP or in general).

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
So what are FF16 current REAL numbers?
Whatever they are, they're awful, otherwise they'd be trumpeting it around to investors. Another console exclusive miss by SE. Maybe they'll start releasing games everywhere if they want to move units.

Net sales up, operating income down.

This will ALWAYS happen for a company that doesn't make modern games. And when I say modern, y'all know what I'm talking about.
FFXV remains one of my favorite games of the last 10 years. I just adore that game, warts and all. I'd buy the shit out of a Switch 2 port that looked & ran as well as on PS4 Pro.

It's not that their games aren't modern, it's that they tend to have a hard time breaking out with those mega blockbusters that can do 10+ million sales at full price. Even with XV they struggled to get past 10 million, and that was with discounting.

XVI has no chance of that, given the reception and how it turned out, especially being not every platform. I think the next Dragon Quest will help, as well as the DQ 3 remake, and they just need to hit it out of the park with KH 4 and make it a giant blockbuster.

Last edited:
Release on Xbox I get, but how does releasing on gamepass help them?
I don't understand your question. Releasing a game on Game Pass means Xbox pays you millions of dollars without needing to sell individual copies. That's the transaction. I think with some agreements there's also recurring revenue built in as well, under certain agreements. You would also get a slice of any copy sold on your game through Xbox, since Game Pass subscribers get a discount for buying a game, which also benefits the publisher selling the game.

Last edited:
Square probably won't get much revenue on Xbox from game sales, but there's probably good money to be made cutting deals with MS for some of the more popular games which are console exclusive to PS, like FF7R, FF16 etc... In terms of cutting deals for bringing these to the platform in the first place (GP or in general).
I can think of a handful of excellent games that would greatly benefit from a port to Xbox Series. Harvestella, Octopath II (already confirmed early 2024), and Bravely Default II. SE can make millions just launching them into Game Pass, and also sell individual copies via Xbox as well.

TheCed

Single Player games are doig fine... not great but Fine.
Dawntrails will fix the MMO part of their earnings, also FFXIV on XBox could give it a boost too.
Mobile ? I don't think Ever Crisis is in a good enough Shape to be the savior they're looking for.

In general, Square is doing alright, nothing catastrophic here.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Single Player games are doig fine... not great but Fine.
Dawntrails will fix the MMO part of their earnings, also FFXIV on XBox could give it a boost too.
Mobile ? I don't think Ever Crisis is in a good enough Shape to be the avior they're looking for.

In general, Square is doing alright, nothing catastrophic here.
Ever Crisis is doing pretty solid in its past 2 months that the developers openly mentioned it and they announced a PC version in development. So, at the very least, it locked a few more years of service. It's not enough to offset the 5-6 other underperforming or end service titles, but it certainly has life.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't understand your question. Releasing a game on Game Pass means Xbox pays you millions of dollars without needing to sell individual copies. That's the transaction. I think with some agreements there's also recurring revenue built in as well, under certain agreements. You would also get a slice of any copy sold on your game through Xbox, since Game Pass subscribers get a discount for buying a game, which also benefits the publisher selling the game.
Do you really want this to be addressed?

Ah well, I guess there was bound to be one person who would have taken what he said seriously.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Square needs to remake some of my favorite niche titles from 25+ years ago, that will really turn their finances around.

Mr.Phoenix

🤷‍♂️. I try to keep it simple and straight to the point, and as factual as possible.
factual? even MS themselves and their partners alluded to gamepass canalizing sales. And then you expect a publisher to take their single biggest release of the year and put it on gamepass? how much do you think MS pays publishers for a game on gamepass? Say there are 5 million downloads, would MS pay them $250M?

they have sold around 5M copies of the game on PS5, so say that comes in at $300M in revenue, would MS match that?

And pls, why are you pretending that people would go out and buy the game for $70 if they can play it for $15 on gamepass? Are we still in 2020? Isn there enough evidence now?

ssringo

Used to be that seeing Square and even SquareEnix was enough to make me at least give a game a chance regardless of anything else. These days the name is likely to make me disregard a game I otherwise might've given a chance.

I always feel jipped when I buy one of their games.

Top Bottom