• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is the first publisher that raises its PC prices to 80 euros

Pagusas

Elden Member
Good, about time
The cost of everything has gone up and will go up. Yesterdays price is Not todays price? Why people dont understand this? Noone likes a price hike but its the natural progression of consumer products and services.

The only thing you can count on not going up is working class wages.
These younglings have spent their life with Cheap games and in a more or less flat bubble of inflation. Compared to years of old, they haven't experienced it at all (other than in housing). Times are changing.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Maybe if average income goes up for humanity across the board, I can tolerate businesses inflating their prices up to 50%. Until then, they can stuff it.

Filben

I haven't paid 60 EUR for a game for years now so I won't pay 80 neither. They can keep raising prices all they want, it'll only make me waiting longer until the price is right. It's not like they aren't any games to play until then...

If a games doesn't hit my isthereanydeal waitlist notification settings, I won't buy it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
gg.deals is my friend

This is just shameless. I mean, they're DIGITAL games - they don't even get to use the 'more expenses due to printing' bullshit.

And PC version more expensive than the console versions? Never thought I'd see the day ...

Spacefish

The cost of everything has gone up and will go up. Yesterdays price is Not todays price? Why people dont understand this? Noone likes a price hike but its the natural progression of consumer products and services.

Quality has stagnated and in many cases is decreasing while competition has exploded, modern AAA are not only competing with contemporary releases but also discounted games from multiple years prior that play and look just as good. Digital games are struggling to even hold onto their current market value.

kyoji

Quality has stagnated and in many cases is decreasing while competition has exploded, modern AAA are not only competing with contemporary releases but also discounted games from multiple years prior that play and look just as good. Digital games are struggling to even hold onto their current market value.
This is all fine and dandy but still has nothing to do with how much it even costs to get a product to market and everything that entails. Those costs are then passed on to the consumer either appropriately or not.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Why do people keep saying stuff like this when most publishers are breaking their own revenue records every year?
It's not like they are bleeding money and need to increase these prices...

Also...you mention you'd rather games being supported by sales and not add-ons or microtransations but games were never this expensive or releasing this unfinished. Also microtransitions didn't go anywhere in the meantime so...
It's because people are retarded. That's it and that's all. Never seen a group of people so willing to part with their money for unfinished garbage and then apologize for the unfinished garbage. We really do live in the stupidest of times. 😆

Akuji

a call of duty on pc released for 72€ years ago in germany. people still bought it. with inflation and everything that was way more expensive then ff vii now.

i dont think people will care enough for square to actually care because they sell less copies.

Portugeezer

Good, about time

These younglings have spent their life with Cheap games and in a more or less flat bubble of inflation. Compared to years of old, they haven't experienced it at all (other than in housing). Times are changing.
Pretty soon we'll have to pick between a house or couple vidya games.

It's because people are retarded. That's it and that's all. Never seen a group of people so willing to part with their money for unfinished garbage and then apologize for the unfinished garbage. We really do live in the stupidest of times. 😆
Prices already went up with "gold editions" and "ultimate editions" a lot of the time they're just some skins and shit.

Smokken

Banned
I don't get the hate. 30 years ago when I was a kid, in 1990ish......a NES game cost around $50 at release. so $80-90 today seems fair considering the inflation rate ($103 as of 2021). The production costs are atronomical compared to the 90's as well. Beeing a port, I kinda see the problem.. but still. A dinner for 2 at a normal restaurant is more expensive than this yo.

Spacefish

This is all fine and dandy but still has nothing to do with how much it even costs to get a product to market and everything that entails. Those costs are then passed on to the consumer either appropriately or not.
The costs to get a game to market have risen in development and plummeted in distribution while profit margins have gone through the roof and sub streams of revenue have taken root. It is not clear that any costs need to be passed on to the consumer relative to brick and mortar game sales. This isn't as cut and dry as inflation + bigger teams = higher prices, there are more important variables at play.

Kenpachii

Doesn't work that way, 2 decades ago they had the same idea and they all died off on PC and cheaper games took over.

PC doesn't work like consoles. U offer something they want to buy and they will simple not buy it.

What square enix does wrong.

1) releases the product on a shop lots of pc gamers do not want to deal with = extremely limited market
2) high price = limit your market even further
3) 2 year old game, that should be cheaper just because of that, but its dated = limit market
4) A non PC game that already doesn't appeal to most pc gamers is = limited market.
5) they probably put invasive DRM in it too = even less people.

At this point. there are so many hurdels for people on PC to jump through they will probably either ignore it or get it in other ways from services that people are more interested in. As newell would say.

“We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem,” he said. “If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate’s service is more valuable.”

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. “Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam’s] largest market in Europe,” Newell said.

In short this game is much like kingdom hearts going to bomb hard simple because of those reasons.

Now about why should the price not go up because inflation is happening? and prices go up everywhere?

Because PC has a gigantic user base that grows year after year, so there are more consumers that can buy your product.

The reason why sony had to up the price is because there userbase isn't growing, the reason they went multiplatform on there own consoles PS4 + PS5 for horizon / god of war is because they need more buyers, the reason why they move to PC with there games = because they need more buyers. Releasing there titles for 15 million people or whatever amount it is and 10% only buying those titles = simple not doable.

So yea, u either work with your consumers or u get left in the cold.

Last edited:

kyoji

Doesn't work that way, 2 decades ago they had the same idea and they all died off on PC and cheaper games took over.

PC doesn't work like consoles. U offer something they want to buy and they will simple not buy it.

What square enix does wrong.

1) releases the product on a shop lots of pc gamers do not want to deal with = extremely limited market
2) high price = limit your market even further
3) 2 year old game, that should be cheaper just because of that, but its dated = limit market
4) A non PC game that already doesn't appeal to most pc gamers is = limited market.
5) they probably put invasive DRM in it too = even less people.

At this point. there are so many hurdels for people on PC to jump through they will probably either ignore it or get it in other ways from services that people are more interested in. As newell would say.

In short this game is much like kingdom hearts going to bomb hard simple because of those reasons.

Now about why should the price not go up because inflation is happening? and prices go up everywhere?

Because PC has a gigantic user base that grows year after year, so there are more consumers that can buy your product.

The reason why sony had to up the price is because there userbase isn't growing, the reason they went multiplatform on there own consoles PS4 + PS5 for horizon / god of war is because they need more buyers, the reason why they move to PC with there games = because they need more buyers. Releasing there titles for 15 million people or whatever amount it is and 10% only buying those titles = simple not doable.

So again, you either serve your product on PC as people want it, or u basically get ditched the next day.
…..

kyoji

Glad some of you guys dont own a business. Sheesh, no clue whats going on, what are they teaching in school these days?

kyoji

probably something more complicated than "if A go up, B go up" that they taught you in the stone age.
Nahh i just wish we had some actual devs willing to post here who are in the industry or arent to far removed from it that could shed some light on costs it takes to develop a game and why a publisher might increase price. Sadly none would probably give input here because half of you wouldnt listen anyway.

Pejo

Well, what is it, Tim?

516.png

Guilty_AI

You know what other costs they're passing on to consumers? Shitty management and waste of resources.
Its no coincidence SE is the one doing it, with one of the products being one that has seen a lot of money going down the drain over the years.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It’s a great game that cost a lot to make. I personally support higher prices for AAA games. Given inflation, it makes sense. I prefer games to be supported by sales rather than add-ons and micro transactions.
Corporations must love you It's mind boggling you support paying more for something. You should want to pay less.

Consumerism at its peak right here.

giphy.gif

I can wait until it's off EGS and under $10, more likely though I'll just buy one of the hundreds of great games on the market I haven't played yet and likely wouldn't have the time to play in my remaining lifetime.

RafterXL

These idiotic prices have backfired, at least for me. Not only do I not buy $70 games at release, I don't buy them until they're significantly (half off) cheaper, even games I would have bought, day 1, for $60. Square is now another bargain basement only company as far as I'm concerned. I always have other stuff to play anyway, so I'm not really worried about missing out.

Fuck them.

kingfey

Banned
It’s a great game that cost a lot to make. I personally support higher prices for AAA games. Given inflation, it makes sense. I prefer games to be supported by sales rather than add-ons and micro transactions.
the fuck you smoking my man? Game is 2 years old. Was given on ps+. Not even full game. And they expect us to pay 70$.

I will say this to them.
utkarsh ambudkar suck it GIF by Showtime

kingfey

Banned
Will wait for a 75% off for FFVII, i'm in not any hurry at all. It's what i've been doing for the last couple of years.
I ain't paying that sum of money.

That is hzd. We can get it cheap once it hits on steam. I am gonna buy it now.

bought it. It was very cheap.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Do people really buy direct from Steam still?

So many reputable cd key sites that often offer games for half or more off that you activate on Steam/Origin etc

Larxia

I'll get it on Steam in a year for half the price.
Honestly, seeing how greedy Square Enix seem to be right now, I wouldn't be surprise if it still launches at 80€ when it comes to Steam a year from now. There's still cd keys and future sales sure, but the base price could still be this crazy thing we're seeing right now, just because it's "another launch" and square enix seems to consider every new launch like a brand new game.

DrAspirino

Banned
So... it seems that the black sails will be hoisted again by PC players (me included), because I, for one, don't intend for even a nanosecond to pay the outrageous price squeenix set for this game (and I don't even want to talk about the shit that is Denuvo). They can go f*ck themselves for all I care.

Last edited:

Robochobo

Well everybody didn't want loot boxes and microtransactions. :messenger_neutral:

higher priced games>>>>>>loot boxes and microtransactions
Problem is you still have loot boxes and microtransactions... and season passes... and expansions... plus in game currency... and now a higher price for games that have already been making more money than ever before. Not to mention the fact that it's easier than ever to port games from PC to console or vice versa. Or the fact that digital sales have increased and the percentage third party storefronts take are lower so publishers end up getting more. How about the fact that many publishers now have their own storefront where you can buy the game directly from their website. Or the fact they can make even more money by placing their game on subscription services like PSnow/Gamepass/PS+. Or how about...
FsxSKoY.jpg

Top Bottom