• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is the first publisher that raises its PC prices to 80 euros

Three

Problem is you still have loot boxes and microtransactions... and season passes... and expansions... plus in game currency... and now a higher price for games that have already been making more money than ever before. Not to mention the fact that it's easier than ever to port games from PC to console or vice versa. Or the fact that digital sales have increased and the percentage third party storefronts take are lower so publishers end up getting more. How about the fact that many publishers now have their own storefront where you can buy the game directly from their website. Or the fact they can make even more money by placing their game on subscription services like PSnow/Gamepass/PS+. Or how about...
FsxSKoY.jpg
I could be wrong and I've completely missed it but this game doesn't have any microtransactions/loot boxes. If we're talking about FF7 Remake here.

NeoLed

Thousands? Probably a small amount of PC gamers spend THOUSANDS on gaming PCs.
As a PC gamer i'm used to pay 50 bucks whereas console gamer spend 60-70 bucks.
I actually find this interesting. Why the PC gamer have some expectation that they should get games cheaper than their console counterpart, but with better quality(graphic usually)?

sofakng

Neo Member
This is insulting. Maybe if they released the game the same day (or within reason) as the console versions they could justify a higher price, but releasing it years after the console, on a game store nobody likes, with DRM that nobody likes, is just stupid.

Rykan

I actually find this interesting. Why the PC gamer have some expectation that they should get games cheaper than their console counterpart, but with better quality(graphic usually)?
Because the reason that console gaming is more expensive is due to the fact that every single game has to pay license fees to the platform holder. That is how the console manufacturer makes money. This is also the reason why console hardware is comparatively cheaper than PC hardware.

Since there are no platform licensing fees on PC, the games tend to be cheaper.

Sophist

Greed is the only motivation behind this price, I don't see any other. Salaries are raising as years pass by and there are social moves for less working hours in the industry which could lead to more development time or the need of more staff, both resulting in even more salary to pay. So, expecting the general price of video games to raise time to time is logic. But, for the case of this game specifically, it already made a profit on consoles with the good sales and the exclusive contract with Sony. The costs of porting the game to PC are already covered by the exclusive contract with Epic. Epic takes less fees per sale than other stores. This price is not justified at all.

Kagey K

Banned
I an shocked that they are the ones that need more money.

All these publishing deals aren't enough for them?

Just one more thing on top of the pike of fucked up things that make me wonder how they can stay in business.

It's like they work ass backwards from the top down.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
80 euro for each videogame is just too much .....no matter the quality
probably is better they start to insert advertising objects in video games as happened in films in the 60s / 90s

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
80 euro for each videogame is just too much .....no matter the quality
probably is better they start to insert advertising objects in video games as happened in films in the 60s / 90s
They insert advertising and they are going to charge 10.00 more on top of the already extended pricing.

Kagey K

Banned
And morons who pay this will ensure other companies follow suit. When it is that easy. Don't fucking buy it. Then they will have no choice but to lower the price and abandon the experiment.
Lord knows peopke will pay it to support the devs, because they haven't been paid from a million other sources so far.

Poor kids crying out thier bed made out of 10.00 bills instead of 100 dollar bills.

Last edited:

Soodanim

EGS exclusive means I won’t even touch it anyway, the just £80 seals the deal and lets me know that they definitely don’t want my money.

The cartoon greedy villain with dollar signs in their eyes is probably far too accurate, it’s horrendous business. I hope they sell fuck all copies and don’t try it again. That won’t happen, but it’s what should happen.

Raising prices on the back of a global pandemic, that resulted in a severe disruption of production chains and sharp increase of general living expenses, is exactly the kind of consumer friendly pricing policy I'd expect from Square Enix.

Last edited:

Griffon

People saying gamepass is a solution are making me sick...

This is the whole corporate gambit right here: making buying so expensive that poorer people are forced to agree to rents and removal of choice (while the rent itself becomes more expensive than old buy prices).

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its been the case for many years. Games on PC are usually on par/cheaper than console but with better fidelity

Kenpachii

Dam steam forums are ripping this game a new one.

People saying gamepass is a solution are making me sick...

This is the whole corporate gambit right here: making buying so expensive that poorer people are forced to agree to rents and removal of choice (while the rent itself becomes more expensive than old buy prices).

This is what makes it even more hilarious idiotic to up the price in EU 10 euro's more then the US on top of it. These clowns have no idea that EU somebody on the west earns a fuck ton more then somebody on the east.

Absolute delusional.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

forspoken has financial disaster written all over it. no final fantasy brand bonus, 80€ for a new IP even on pc, too western looking for weebs, too japanese looking for westerners. add to that SE‘s crazy sales expectations lol

dDoc

Eur 50 for GOW from Sony to pc players.

SE are just greeding at this point.

It's also not that great of a game. Still haven't finished it on PS5 got side tracked by better (and cheaper) games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't get the hate. 30 years ago when I was a kid, in 1990ish......a NES game cost around $50 at release. so $80-90 today seems fair considering the inflation rate ($103 as of 2021). The production costs are atronomical compared to the 90's as well. Beeing a port, I kinda see the problem.. but still. A dinner for 2 at a normal restaurant is more expensive than this yo.
When nes came out new games were $32. I remember buying Metroid, Zelda, and kid icarus for $32. At a local hardware store lol.
this was before Walmart.

in the 90s snes, genesis, and n64 games got pretty high. $60 - $80

Smokken

Banned
Always funny how some boomers in these type of threads are quick to defend shitty practices by multimillion dollar corporations while getting their wallets diddled.

In muh times games were more expensive!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
I don't feel diddled, not even close. In purchasing power, games are cheaper now than 30 years ago. It's not like they can't keep the price at the same level forever. I have the ability to zoom out and see the price history, even by own experience. 10-20$ increase won't make a dent in my economy, not even noticable. If such a small amount of money is causing you issues, I'd start looking for a better job.

It also depends on your view of the game itself. I'm a huge FF fan, so I would by it at 150$ hands down. All about relative value for money.

Kev Kev

I don't feel diddled, not even close. In purchasing power, games are cheaper now than 30 years ago. It's not like they can't keep the price at the same level forever. I have the ability to zoom out and see the price history, even by own experience. 10-20$ increase won't make a dent in my economy, not even noticable. If such a small amount of money is causing you issues, I'd start looking for a better job.

It also depends on your view of the game itself. I'm a huge FF fan, so I would by it at 150$ hands down. All about relative value for money.
welcome to gaf but uh... hoo boy, that take...
off-size-off.gif

Megatron

Because the reason that console gaming is more expensive is due to the fact that every single game has to pay license fees to the platform holder. That is how the console manufacturer makes money. This is also the reason why console hardware is comparatively cheaper than PC hardware.

Since there are no platform licensing fees on PC, the games tend to be cheaper.

Simple, on consoles you have licensing fees, which you don't have on PC so the games are cheaper.
Steam charges the same 30% that platform holders charge though, right? So he’s right, PC games should cost the same as console versions.
There are storefronts that charge less like Epic, but Steam is by far the platforms where games sell the best. And the publishers tend to want to hold the price the same across storefronts for consistency (and it doesn’t hurt that they get to pocket the difference)

kingfey

Banned
I could be wrong and I've completely missed it but this game doesn't have any microtransactions/loot boxes. If we're talking about FF7 Remake here.
That doesnt give them excuse to charge this amount of money. MS games day1 on pc charges 60$, so why are charging this amount of money for a 2 years old game?

What is worst, is that this game is digital on pc. They dont have to do disc version, and they pay 12% cut to epic, so they keep 88% of the sales. They are getting 61.6$ for every copy they sell.

This pure greed from them.

Top Bottom