• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Sales Fell Below 'Initial Expectations

Anime-Vix

Square Enix in its latest earnings report announced the initial sales for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy fell below expectations. However, the publisher is working to increase sales to make up for the slow start.

"The HD Games sub-segment launched Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy in Q3," reads the report. "Despite strong reviews, the game’s sales on launch undershot our initial expectations.

anthony2690

Banned
I enjoyed avengers a lot more personally. (Granted I didn't play day one, I played after the series x update, didn't care for the end game content though)

& GOTG, I thought was pretty boring and had to really force myself to finish the game (awful combat that never really changes or improves sadly) excellent 80s ost and star lord band/songs made specially for the game.

I'm genuinely surprised at how over hyped gotg is. (& I say this as someone who doesn't like super heroes but loves the gotg films)

Last edited:
Honestly the way Square Enix always throws their western studios under the bus like this is odd.
Remember when Tomb Raider surpassed 10M copies and it was seen as a disappointment?

Anyway, where was the marketing for Guardians? I only bought it for one reason: GAF opinions.

Anyway I hope to see this same energy when Forspoken flops in a few months.

anthony2690

Banned
Honestly the way Square Enix always throws their western studios under the bus like this is odd.
Remember when Tomb Raider surpassed 10M copies and it was seen as a disappointment?

Anyway, where was the marketing for Guardians? I only bought it for one reason: GAF opinions.

Anyway I hope to see this same energy when Forspoken flops in a few months.
Tomb raider did 3.4 million units intially when it was considered a disappointment....

Last edited:
Square Enix needs to find a way to "reintroduce" the game to a larger audience somehow. This game is too good to be dragged like this. This game was fantastic and I wish we had some kind of DLC to expand on the experience.

Lokaum D+

1080p sub60fps no RT on nextgen console, and they wonder why the game sell poorly, everyone is waiting for a Sale to buy ur awful opitimizade game.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
As expected. Square is all in on final fantasy, after Avengers. They didnt give a shit about this title. Deus Ex will die because of their greed now.

Someone please fucking deliver Eidos from Square Enix..
svfkX29.jpg

"...and deliver us from Enix, amen." -Eidos probably

Bridges

Seemed obvious with how often it went on sale so quickly after launch. The game is miles better than Avengers, nothing revolutionary but it deserves the praise it's been getting. Hopefully if there is a sequel they market it better. A property as big as GOTG that isn't some GaaS nightmare should've been a slam dunk for them, maybe it would've been had they not just burnt up their goodwill with Avengers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Square Enix needs to find a way to "reintroduce" the game to a larger audience somehow. This game is too good to be dragged like this. This game was fantastic and I wish we had some kind of DLC to expand on the expexperience
Some kind of pass that let's a larger audience experience the game maybe. 🤔

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah im still pissed that Deus Ex had to die so that they can make these generic Marvel super heroes games
Deus Ex 2 mega bombed. Like nuclear bombed. Its on sale for like $5 every other day. I think I got it for $10 2 months after release.

SQEX salvaged them and put them on something that seemed like a surefire sales winner.

Deus Ex 2 mega bombed. Like nuclear bombed. Its on sale for like $5 every other day. I think I got it for $10 2 months after release.

SQEX salvaged them and put them on something that seemed like a surefire sales winner.
& Avengers and Guardians did not bombed? They bombed just as bad probably worst considering the higher budget might as well try to make a intresting original game wile your at it instead of these generic heroes games

Punished Miku

Gold Member
& Avengers and Guardians did not bombed? They bombed just as bad probably worst considering the higher budget might as well try to make a intresting original game wile your at it instead of these generic heroes games
They may have bombed but from a management / decision perspective, putting them on Marvel IP seemed like a safe bet for these studios to get work while rebounding.

They may have bombed but from a management / decision perspective, putting them on Marvel IP seemed like a safe bet for these studios to get work while rebounding.
Nope nothing is a safe bet the game has to be good the only studio i trust with Marvel games right now is Insomniac games anyone else trying to chase popular culture with heroes games will probably bombed hard

To be fair Deus Ex 2 was only half a story, with serious micro transaction fuckery worse than what EA tried to pull in Dead Space 3.

Count me in with the 'sell your Western devs' crowd, Squeenix has no idea what the hell they're doing with them.

RafterXL

I enjoyed avengers a lot more personally. (Granted I didn't play day one, I played after the series x update, didn't care for the end game content though)

& GOTG, I thought was pretty boring and had to really force myself to finish the game (awful combat that never really changes or improves sadly) excellent 80s ost and star lord band/songs made specially for the game.

I'm genuinely surprised at how over hyped gotg is. (& I say this as someone who doesn't like super heroes but loves the gotg films)
That's just what happens with games with decent stories, they get hyped to death because, oddly enough, a lot of people don't care about gameplay. That's why GotG is universally praised with only mediocre gameplay.

anthony2690

Banned
That's just what happens with games with decent stories, they get hyped to death because, oddly enough, a lot of people don't care about gameplay. That's why GotG is universally praised with only mediocre gameplay.

I'll never understand why people love games with good stories so much, if the gameplay is just boring/bad.

If I'm going to spend nearly 20 hours of my time with a game, the gameplay desperately needs to be good to make them 20 hours enjoyable.

The gameplay should be the most important aspect in my opinion.

zeorhymer

I wonder what the "expected" sales those bean counters were expecting. I bet they wanted like a beeelion dollars or something.

trikster40

Shouldn’t have made such a shitty Avengers game before this. I almost didn’t get it because I thought it was a GAAS game.

Kuranghi

No more Lady Thiccbender (credits to GymWolf GymWolf for that one), is a sad state of affairs :lollipop_sad_relieved: jokes aside I really really liked her voice acting, design and the face capture was amazing. Like every face in the game pretty much.

I really really enjoyed this one, if someone bounced off combat I suggest going back to it and trying again with damage output set to highest, Guardian ability cooldown on minimum, slowdown for deciding on ability on slowest (not paused though) and elemental shot cost at minimum. This way the enemies aren't damage sponges (even with this a few still are), you can generally do the coolest thing at the most opportune moment and you can get the huddle more often (just to hear the music selections and huddle dialogue really, the buff doesn't matter much in this case).

If you aren't one for exploring then use a guide to check where the items that give you the extra character development are, as some of those conversations are the best in the game (a couple of the first few are okay/duds so don't let that put you off) in terms of character building. I even suggest using WeMod to increase XP gain by 2x so abilities unlock a bit earlier through normal play and that makes it have way more variety sooner, again if you hate exploration but want to see the character stuff/all the story then use WeMod to give yourself like 30k of the scrap and then just buy all the workbench stuff immediately, still go to the benchs when you see them though as it will often trigger new dialogue even if you don't make anything.

I basically treated combat as a cool moment simulator instead of anything of challenge and then focused on exploring the environments thoroughly so I could see and hear as much of the character development (back on the ship too through finding the collectibles, they were really meaningful!) as possible in levels, the "challenge" of the gameplay to me was exploration for the things above and the combat was like a cinematic interlude.

Me and flatmate played it and he would call out which skills to combine at what time in fights and we made some absolutely beautiful ultra slow motion tableaus some of which genuinely rivalled anything in the films, enemies arcing overhead as Peter slides on his knees while shooting electicity at the enemies.

Its a really great game for many reasons and it having challenging combat is not one of them, just enjoy the ride.

Ev1L AuRoN

I wanted to buy this game, but the lack of localized prices keep me from pulling the trigger. I'll wait until the price is right. It's not like I don't have anything to play really.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I wanted to buy this game, but the lack of localized prices keep me from pulling the trigger. I'll wait until the price is right. It's not like I don't have anything to play really.

On steam?
Cause for sure there was localized pricing on epic. I bought it, at launch, on epic for INR2249 (~32USD) after a coupon. So original price was INR2999 (~42USD).
Also I think it's on sale currently there.

Amazing game and I wish more people bought it. On one hand we like to bitch about lack of good AAA games in gaas/multi-player world, but on the other hand we don't buy good single player games :(

Shitty marketing and avengers disasters are also huge reasons for lower sales though.

Last edited:
Avengers had no impact on miles morales and most people don’t know who makes games. They will have just seen marvel.

It was poorly marketed and the fact that you only play as Star lord limited its appeal.

Wolverine will do far better. Will be interesting to see if that leads to X-men.

Jennings

It took months for me to pick it up (and by then it was steeply discounted) because I expected another Avengers-level fiasco and I didn't want to waste money on another shoddy cash grab. The only reason I bought it was because of the constant positive word of mouth after its release. Now I'm just waiting to get a Series X so I can get back to playing it since it only runs at 30fps on the Xbox One X and I'd rather not blow through it like that.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

On steam?
Cause for sure there was localized pricing on epic. I bought it, at launch, on epic for INR2249 (~32USD) after a coupon. So original price was INR2999 (~42USD).
Also I think it's on sale currently there.

Amazing game and I wish more people bought it. On one hand we like to bitch about lack of good AAA games in gaas/multi-player world, but on the other hand we don't buy good single player games :(

Shitty marketing and avengers disasters are also huge reasons for lower sales though.
Localized prices here in Brazil are around 199 (us$:39) Guardians on Epic cost 299 (us$:59) our average wage is about us$:390,00 so that price is quite expensive for most of us. I bought some games at 59us$ but just the ones I'm very hyped about. Guardians are in the type of games that I don't mind wait for the price to come down.

CuNi

I was hyped when I heard about it (text only) but once I saw that they completely swapped out the cast (probably due to licencing etc) and used new models instead of the actual actors, I lost all interest in the game.
I am most likely in the minority and this is just my opinion, but I actually watch Superhero movies for the actors. IMHO they make or break the character they portray and Chriss Pratt became the embodiment of Star Lord for me.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Localized prices here in Brazil are around 199 (us$:39) Guardians on Epic cost 299 (us$:59) our average wage is about us$:390,00 so that price is quite expensive for most of us. I bought some games at 59us$ but just the ones I'm very hyped about. Guardians are in the type of games that I don't mind wait for the price to come down.

Oh. Weird that some countries got localized pricing and some didn't.
Anyway. Buy it whenever you think the price is decent. It's a great game.

Top Bottom