• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Plans to Create “Story-Focused” NFTs

"Square Enix has shared information about future plans for the company, which includes the creation of “story-focused” NFTs. This information appeared during the Square Enix Shareholders’ 2022 Meeting Report. The report also revealed the extent of the financial success of Final Fantasy XIV. Beyond that, it included a look at how the company’s mobile market is fairing. [Thanks, michsuzuki!]

Final Fantasy XIV is up 56% from the previous year. Previous reports concerning the continued success of Final Fantasy XIV have mentioned the Endwalker expansion, which released in December 2021. And while Square Enix has continued to expand its mobile division, there was no report of any significant change or success among its recent releases.

However, Square Enix further revealed its intentions to incorporate NFTs into its business model in some tangible way. This includes the development of “blockchain games and entertainment,” and, most notably, the production of NFTs that will focus on stories. This goal is included in Square Enix’s medium-term strategy.

sloth no GIF

I still haven't found one simple explanation as to how NFT benefits me as a gamer...I am not particularly against it as long as it is useful or enjoyable but so far nada.
The only way it benefits you, is IF you do buy a digital "item" it is backed up by a blockchain therefore it's ownership can be tracked to you. Also, if you ever wish to sell that item it can be verified that you are the owner and have the right to sell it.

I personally think most of these companies are just grabbing at the new buzzword thing, it's kinda dumb. They really are utilizing blockchain technology in the wrong way, right now... but I'm hoping they use it properly in the future.

MiguelItUp

Man, Square Enix continues to make some really questionable calls. Please don't let anything NFT related touch anything good or great.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The only way it benefits you, is IF you do buy a digital "item" it is backed up by a blockchain therefore it's ownership can be tracked to you. Also, if you ever wish to sell that item it can be verified that you are the owner and have the right to sell it.

I personally think most of these companies are just grabbing at the new buzzword thing, it's kinda dumb. They really are utilizing blockchain technology in the wrong way, right now... but I'm hoping they use it properly in the future.
I think you made the right choice by putting the IF in caps...At most I bought dlc for games, never lost them and can't sell them.In this case maybe Gacha games with an emphase on trading would benefit but otherwise the added value is non existant to me.
It does feel like a buzzword chase right now , or maybe a good way to make money for almost no extra work.

I think you made the right choice by putting the IF in caps...At most I bought dlc for games, never lost them and can't sell them.In this case maybe Gacha games with an emphase on trading would benefit but otherwise the added value is non existant to me.
It does feel like a buzzword chase right now , or maybe a good way to make money for almost no extra work.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: exactly why I made it caps!

Their endgame for blockchain + video games SHOULD be digital rights. Hoping one day I'll be able to sell my digital copy of a game to someone for $2 cause it's old as shit or just give it to a friend who has never played it before.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
:messenger_tears_of_joy: exactly why I made it caps!

Their endgame for blockchain + video games SHOULD be digital rights. Hoping one day I'll be able to sell my digital copy of a game to someone for $2 cause it's old as shit or just give it to a friend who has never played it before.
Amen digital reselling should be a right, just like second hand market.If one day NFT lead to the possibility of reselling games then a huge yes but so far it seems gimmicky at best and generaly more shady than anything.

Pejo

Square-Enix behind the curve again. Chinese goldsellers have been doing "play to earn" since like the early 2000s.
529234.jpg

I hate NFTs and S-E's management so much.

Reactions: Fuz

RCU005

I wish Sony bought them. They have great IPs and they already went to hell with past CEO making stupid decisions (based on fortune tellers). It's too bad Sony is 100% against having Japanese developers. The last thing they need is another CEO making stupid decisions. They're already getting rid of their western studios.

The biggest problem Square Enix has is themselves!

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Kataploom

Gold Member

I still can't see how a simple centralized account system can't do the same... That so-called "advantage" is something that's been done since the beginning of server-based computing, I don't know what's different or "better" apart from doing it using a then-called anti-copy protection system with a fancy marketing name

TonyK

I always had problems to understand what a NFT is, but a "story focused" NFT sets a new high on nonsense terms I don't have time and stomach to digest. Make a fucking good game, for Christ sake, that's all!

I still can't see how a simple centralized account system can't do the same... That so-called "advantage" is something that's been done since the beginning of server-based computing, I don't know what's different or "better" apart from doing it using a then-called anti-copy protection system with a fancy marketing name
Simple answer, which it is not, probably security as that data is not centralized and ease of use. I'm not an expert on Blockchain, but by their very name, information entered into a BC are compiled into "blocks" once a block is filled it is closed, leaving that information locked and immutable. A new block is started where information is stored. Because the past blocks are still there it becomes a running record of everything that has happened previously. So you should be able to track the entire history of a piece of information.

Myths

Honestly don’t know what any of this means. Just make games like you were before blockchain and crypto were a thing.

To be fair, they're telling this stuff to their shareholders, so I have to assume they're trying to bamboozle them with the promise of more revenue. There's no way anybody who isn't completely disconnected from the real world thinks that the concept of buying a link to a picture has any purchase whatsoever, and every explanation of how they work for a game has just been "uh... you get stuff in the game for owning them" which is just a microtransaction except you're also pretending it's an investment (???) as if Square Enix issued monopoly money has real value

Goalus

At first sight I read that as "Sony-focused NFTs".

NFTs will become relevant eventually, but I don't think now or within the next two years is the time.

Last edited:
What the heck does this even mean? Is it like you get a piece of a game's story in an NFT? How the heck would getting a COMPLETE story in NFT form even work? Do you have to buy it from a hoarding NFT collector who just happened to have the part you're looking for?
"I'll charge you 30,000 USD for the NFT of the last 500 words of this game's story." Like, how ridiculous does that sound?

Ozzie666

I would love someone to pull a Seth Green on Square and make them re-consider NFTs. Is there anything I can buy for a $1, they might want in the future??

Top Bottom