• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: PlayStation offered a better deal than Xbox for Final Fantasy 16 (windowscentral.com)

fermcr

"A recent interview exposed an industry practice that few are actively aware of, and that is the cost of content acquisition.
One of the most contentious issues facing Xbox as of late is its ability to attract interest from third-party publishers. The vast majority of AAA publishers and studios are actively launching games for Xbox platforms, but many independent developers have been arbitrarily skipping the platform in favor of PlayStation and Nintendo Switch. Few examples of this have been more prolific than Square Enix, whose support of Xbox has been historically iffy. Microsoft scored some support from Square Enix a few years back, with Dragon Quest 12 and Kingdom Hearts. More recently, however, Square Enix has been even more dismissive of Xbox than ever, with most-wanted JRPG Final Fantasy 7 Remake still absent from the platform despite an expired exclusivity agreement, and Final Fantasy 14 still nowhere to be found despite pledges by Xbox lead Phil Spencer at a previous event.
An interview in Game Informer (via TweakTown) recently shed light on why the hotly anticipated action RPG Final Fantasy 16 is skipping Xbox, and it's sadly unsurprising. According to Square Enix, PlayStation simply offered a better content acquisition deal than Xbox did..."

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-a-better-deal-than-xbox-for-final-fantasy-16

NBx7T5NEbu45KhEBhRmJwN-1920-80.jpg.webp

NickFire

From the article:

"Square Enix also noted that the deal also offers them high-level platform support with PlayStation engineers, to the implication that Xbox does not. Square Enix also emphasized the benefits of focusing optimization on a single platform."

and

"Square Enix would have to invest in a heavily optimized version for the Xbox Series S too, which requires its own version as part of Microsoft's licensing agreement. PlayStation has no such weaker hardware SKU to account for."

Lack of support (perhaps a byproduct of contractors and failing to hire best people????) and the pain of dealing with Series S. Shocking. Who would have thought?

Aenima

Nothing new, a few year ago there was also ppl saying MS made an offer to Bethesda to get Deadloop and Ghostwire, but Sony made a better offer.

Also why is the article saying FF16 is skipping Xbox? FF16 just have a 6 month exclusivity deal with Sony. Did Square mentioned no intetions to port the game to xbox after that?

LordCBH

Considering Microsoft would have wanted it on Gamepass, I don’t think they’d be willing to give square the money needed to offset both low platform sales on Xbox due to Gamepass + audience, and no sales on PlayStation due to exclusivity if that’s what it would have bee.

feynoob

Banned
How did you get that take from the actual article? A major company just explained two reasons stemming from MS choices / practices. Sony has nothing to do with those choices / practices.
I am speaking from consumer side. Blocking access of the game from one platform is not good in the eye of the consumer.
And I cant say MS is good either, as they bought bethesda too, which blocks the access of those games to PS.

These exclusives arent good for us consumers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MS had $80 billion to spend on Activision and Zenimax. There is no way they couldnt have offered a better deal. They just didnt want to.

I am not buying the engineers and series s arguments either. This all comes down to money. But Series S haters will find this funny no doubt.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People are thinking this is about money? Andrew house is on record saying instal base is the real leverage.
If install base was the real leverage then it wouldve been multiplatform. SE didnt care about sales, they just wanted cold hard cash up front. They are greedy fucks who have done this before with Ryse sending that game to die on a platform not known for action adventure games.

Woopah

Its definitely tricky for Xbox. Right now the publishers most likely to do a deal with a third party are Japanese, and then tend to do deals with Sony and Nintendo rather than Microsoft.

NickFire

I am speaking from consumer side. Blocking access of the game from one platform is not good in the eye of the consumer.
And I cant say MS is good either, as they bought bethesda too, which blocks the access of those games to PS.

It's a windows central article.

The tag line is "Increasingly, games seem to be skipping Xbox arbitrarily."

The article specifically claims SE gets better support from Sony, and that SE emphasized the benefits of a single SKU.

Windows central notes that MS will require them "to invest in a heavily optimized version for the Xbox Series S too, which requires its own version as part of Microsoft's licensing agreement."

Why would a consumer blame Sony on this?

Read articles, not headlines.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From the article:

"Square Enix also noted that the deal also offers them high-level platform support with PlayStation engineers, to the implication that Xbox does not. Square Enix also emphasized the benefits of focusing optimization on a single platform."

and

"Square Enix would have to invest in a heavily optimized version for the Xbox Series S too, which requires its own version as part of Microsoft's licensing agreement. PlayStation has no such weaker hardware SKU to account for."

Lack of support (perhaps a byproduct of contractors and failing to hire best people????) and the pain of dealing with Series S. Shocking. Who would have thought?
There it is. That shitbox is the bane/anchor of this gen.

near

Gold Member
Remember when Microsoft tried to moneyhat a shit-ton of Japanese studios between 2008-2010?

Infinite Undiscovery; Blue Dragon; Lost Odyssey; The Last Remnant; Star Ocean: The Last Hope; Tales of Vesperia.

That didn't turn out too great for them back then lolz

Raven117

Square would have shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about that, would not want to purchase FFXVI for the Xbox, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square would have alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, would have had to publicly apologize and cancel FFXVI for the Xbox or they would have had to kiss their business goodbye.

squarealex

Two console + PC to optimise

Vs

Just one console... I mean...

Just see how Soul Hackers 2 run like a shit because 7 consoles and the PC.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's a windows central article.

The tag line is "Increasingly, games seem to be skipping Xbox arbitrarily."

The article specifically claims SE gets better support from Sony, and that SE emphasized the benefits of a single SKU.

Windows central notes that MS will require them "to invest in a heavily optimized version for the Xbox Series S too, which requires its own version as part of Microsoft's licensing agreement."

Why would a consumer blame Sony on this?

Read articles, not headlines.
I dont care about the article. My point of view isnt from that info.

I general hate these tactics, nothing more nothing less.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
jimbo mentioned the importance of the japanese market in a recent interview so not surprising at all.

What is the strategy on Japanese territory? As Ryan explained: “It consists of releasing games that are highly compatible with the Japanese market. Elden Ring, Resident Evil 4, Monster Hunter Rise, Wild Hearts, and so on have already been released on PS5. These games are born in Japan and released in Japan.”
For the near future, the businessman highlights “Final Fantasy XVI” and “Street Fighter 6”. Both titles will generally be “big and important launches,” but the Japanese have a particular fondness for them.

z_6465d60700a44.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If install base was the real leverage then it wouldve been multiplatform. SE didnt care about sales, they just wanted cold hard cash up front. They are greedy fucks who have done this before with Ryse sending that game to die on a platform not known for action adventure games.
I don't doubt it at all with MS relying heavily on 18month contractors in their entire company makeup and why such issues crept into games such as Halo Infinite.

Griffon

Well no shit being on Playstation is a better deal for Square. Xbox gamers don't buy JRPGs, MS would have to write a really fucking huge exclusivity check to compensate for the millions of lost sales and brand damage.

Whereas it costs Sony almost nothing to compensate for the lost Xbox sales.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Square Enix also noted that the deal also offers them high-level platform support with PlayStation engineers, to the implication that Xbox does not.

This isn't just about money. Sony is providing the technical support that SquareEnix is missing to make a truly epic single-player game that would sell more than 10 million copies.

Xbox does not have that capability as of now as their own first-party AAA games do not sell more than 10 million copies. So how could they help SquareEnix sell their game at such scale?

Spitfire098

There are exclusive games dropping into game pass every month, though most of then tend to be indi.

feynoob

Banned
Nah - you just picked the wrong horse. As a consumer, I appreciate that a company is willing to invest in keeping me on their platform.
You wouldnt say this, if MS were to acquire your favourite publisher. MS, Sony or nintendo, I dont care which company does it, I just hate it.

I dont want to derail this topic any more.

how is thinking from a consumer point of view wrong?

People work hard to get these consoles. and they cant play them, because both companies are playing duck measurement competition and pettiness.
bruh. use your 🧠 for once.

you know what is actually fucked up?...when you involve consumer's money.

Paying full price for a broken/lesser quality product is actually the worse outcome.

Sony and SE have all the incentives to make this game the best quality product possible=

Better for the consumer.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Square Enix also noted that the deal also offers them high-level platform support with PlayStation engineers, to the implication that Xbox does not.

This isn't just about money. Sony is providing the technical support that SquareEnix is missing to make a truly epic single-player game that would sell more than 10 million copies.

Xbox does not have that capability as of now as their own first-party AAA games do not sell more than 10 million copies. So how could they help SquareEnix sell their game at such scale?
Sony the savior yes...

It's a money hat.

Thirty7ven

Banned
From the article:

and

*presses delete from memory button*

Mahavastu

Also why is the article saying FF16 is skipping Xbox? FF16 just have a 6 month exclusivity deal with Sony. Did Square mentioned no intetions to port the game to xbox after that?
Yeah, pretty much.
Even PC will take ages, despite only 6 month exclusivity. I would not expect it on XBox soon...

feynoob

Banned

These are just pr. But I am not the person to tell square what to do with their content. That is their business.
My view will be the same, if Xbox does this move too. I am already mad about zenimax acquision and current activision deal.

Ev1L AuRoN

TBH I don't think Sony need to match Microsoft offering, just giving something will do, Square knows, Microsoft Knows and we know that people who give an f*ck about FFXVI are on PS5. Not that the game don't have its fans on Xbox, but they are the minority. Money is great, but sales are important, because they keep the franchise in the mindset of gamers. If Microsoft will moneyhat some game, they better do it with franchises that appeal to their audience.

Top Bottom