• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix wants to show Final Fantasy 16 at TGS ‘but probably can’t make the deadline’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking as part of a special Japanese Final Fantasy 14 live stream on Friday (translated by Aitai Kimochi), Naoki Yoshida – who is known for his directing work on 14, but is a producer for the upcoming 16 – said Square Enix would ideally like to show the new game at Tokyo Game Show, which runs September 30 – October 3.

However, Yoshida suggested that the game’s development team might not make the deadline, and indicated that he’d like to next show FF16 when it’s closer to release.

“We really want to show something for Tokyo Game Show 2021, but we probably can’t make that deadline… we definitely want to show it, but isn’t it better if when we do, you’re able to play it right after?

He added: “I personally don’t like it when small bits of info is release to string people along. I talked about this with the team and director Takai-san. We want to reveal something where people will say, ‘I want to play it now! Release it now!’ And we can reply, ‘sure, here you go!’

“I know as a company they want us to show it at TGS at the very least.”

Elsewhere in the live streamed event, Yoshida said that work on Final Fantasy 16’s scenario was now complete, and that its audio voice recording was also nearly finished.

“Development is going well,” he said. “It’s quite difficult to make sure the quality is amazing. We want the next announcement to be something where everyone says, ‘I’m going to buy this game!’ This, we are putting a lot of effort to make sure the quality is great.”

Sounds like it needs 6-12 months for final polish.

Avengers Endgame GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Myths

Just showing something, doesn’t take much to put together something if it’s that far ahead anyway.

Yeah, they probably don’t want to overshadow upcoming titles but they did that to themselves.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Naoki Yoshida: “I’ve been working on FFXIV for 8 years now, but I actually never went to any of its recordings. I’m a scenarist myself, so I know that if I go, I’ll step into the writers’ shoes. I don’t wanna do that out of respect for them. And I’m both the director and producer of the game. It’ll be confusing if I was there and gave the seiyuu some instructions on top of the writers.”

“What about Final Fantasy 16?”

Naoki Yoshida:
“I’m not attending the recordings either. Because I’m not the game’s scenarist. During the scenario-focused meetings we’ve had, we already had a lot of discussions like “this line would be better that way, to show protagonist Clive’s psychology” and those remarks are taken into account during recordings.”

Naoki Yoshida: “We’ve been prioritizing English voice recording. And we’re specifically doing it in British English. We’re using facial capture, so later on, we won’t have to adjust by hand each of the faces during cutscenes. And it’s full capture, as in, the motion capture actors are also doing the voice acting simultaneously. Well, we’re not doing it for every single cutscene though. But anyway, that’s why English dubbing has progressed the most. The Japanese dubbing will start soon.”

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I edited my post.

Making a good mmorpg has nothing to do with making a good action rpg, especially when it comes to combat.
I disagree, watch the video series and/or read up on it. It was not his single handed efforts and MMO expertise , but his project and people management skills and the team of experts he assembled and the way he directed them.

GymWolf

YoshiP hired the combat designer for Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon’s Dogma. Watch the trailer again.

We’re in for a treat.
I disagree, watch the video series and/or read up on it. It was not his single handed efforts and MMO expertise , but his project and people management skills and the team of experts he assembled and the way he directed them.
Until the game is out i keep my expectations extremely low, i have zero trust in modern square after the last 2 games i played from them.

Better be surprised than expecting greatness and getting ass fucked.

P.s. just for the record, Avengers game had the same guy who made the combat in gow2018 but the difference in quality between the 2 combat systems was starking.

Last edited:

Thabass

If there's anyone I trust, its the CBU3 team. Hiroshi Takai is going to show why he was one of the driving forces in the rebirth of Final Fantasy XIV.

I have full confidence in XVI's development and I know Takai and Yoshi-P are taking their time with this one.

Yoboman

Until the game is out i keep my expectations extremely low, i have zero trust in modern square after the last 2 games i played from them.

Better be surprised than expecting greatness and getting ass fucked.

P.s. just for the record, Avengers game had the same guy who made the combat in gow2018 but the difference in quality between the 2 combat systems was starking.
I think you're only proving his point that its all about the director and project management. If Yoshi P is a guy proven to be able to do that across FFXVI then he is worth the trust

GametimeUK

I really struggle to be excited for anything Final Fantasy related pre launch since Final Fantasy 13. I used to trust the games would be great, but now it's more of a "believe it when I see it" relationship.

Kokoloko85

Who? The guy behind ff14?!

Yeah i'm sure that making a great mmorpg combat system perfectly translate in making the best combat system ever for an action rpg...

I don’t think they will be using the FF14 combat system.
Isn’t the combat being designed and programmed by someone from the DMC series?

Thats what got me excited for FF16. Combat done by someone thats actually good and the game design done by Yoshi in a medievil like setting

Thabass

The person who led the rebirth of FF XIV and is leading the XVI efforts: Episode 1 of a series dedicated to FF XIV 2.0.

Should have typed Yoshi-P.

Whew, need to bring corrections to this:
1) Yoshi P is not the lead on the XVI project. He is the producer. Hiroshi Takai is the Director and lead on the XVI project. He was the Associate Director of both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward.

idgaf

If they miss TGS, then show a teaser trailer and move on. I don't want the project delayed or held back just to show some build at TGS
Highly unlikely. If the team can't make TGS, they won't make it. It sounds like they'll miss the deadline for it.

Lol wasnt it meant to come out this year?
No. Jason Scrierer posted that the game was more far along than we all thought it would be. Many people thought the game may hit 2021, but that was a reach. The game screamed 2022 when it was announced.

Markio128

I can’t wait for this game. I loved FF15 enough to get the platinum and there is always room in my life for a new FF. I haven’t really disliked any of them, just prefer some over the others.

Javthusiast

Banned
Holy shit it just dawned on me that the last FF game I actually finished was FFX when I got a ps2 as a kid.

Was deep into FF12 when it came out, but for some reason stopped and never finished it. Recently started over on game pass.

FF 13 saga dropped 2 hours into the first game. Will try again when that finally comes to game pass.

Never played 15, bought royal edition for ps4, still sealed.

Super hyped for 16. But yeah holy shit.

Oh no, wait a minute. How could I forget, I beat and loved FF7 remake last year, duh. xD

Kumomeme

actually it is not first time Yoshi-P and Hiroshi Takai made action game. they already did with cancelled UE3 action game before. but nobody know how it actually play out. but they certainly has certain degree of experience.

also all experience in designing boss fight, battle phase, battle cinematic in FF14 could translate nicely in action nature game like FFXVI and like others people here pointing out, based on the team particularly Yoshi-P track record, we can expect great quality product instead of half assed like FFXV. he even not shy to look for other game as references. on top of that they got developers from Capcom who has experience with DMC game. FFVII Remake benefit alot from another combat designer from Capcom too, so we can expect something positive here.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think you're only proving his point that its all about the director and project management. If Yoshi P is a guy proven to be able to do that across FFXVI then he is worth the trust

I don’t think they will be using the FF14 combat system.
Isn’t the combat being designed and programmed by someone from the DMC series?

Thats what got me excited for FF16. Combat done by someone thats actually good and the game design done by Yoshi in a medievil like setting
We can only hope guys, i'm ALWAYS in for a good open world action rpg, it's just that i hate modern square :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Kokoloko85

Whew, need to bring corrections to this:
1) Yoshi P is not the lead on the XVI project. He is the producer. Hiroshi Takai is the Director and lead on the XVI project. He was the Associate Director of both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward.

Highly unlikely. If the team can't make TGS, they won't make it. It sounds like they'll miss the deadline for it.

No. Jason Scrierer posted that the game was more far along than we all thought it would be. Many people thought the game may hit 2021, but that was a reach. The game screamed 2022 when it was announced.

I think the initial trailer said 2021?
And Yes I meant Takai but was reading Yoshi lol

I think I need to go back to sleep I was just reading the title thinking how Awesome it will be seeing square show final fantasy 16 on Turbo Grapx 16

Metnut

I think FF7 Remake was the game of the year last year. Hoping FF16 can do it again in 2022 but competition will be a lot stiffer.

Top Bottom