• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSD prices set to increase again and again

winjer

Gold Member

Industry analysts have released their latest projections for the NAND flash market, forecasting a significant price increase for Solid State Drives (SSDs) in the second quarter of 2024. According to the report, client SSD prices are expected to rise by up to 15% in Q2, following a substantial 23-28% increase in the first quarter. The report provides a comparative analysis of price trends for various NAND flash products, including mobile NAND (eMMC and UFS), client and server SSDs, and the raw NAND flash wafers. The first quarter of 2024 has already seen notable price increases, impacting consumers and potentially adding significant costs to PC builds or upgrades. Despite hopes for stabilization, the upward trend in SSD prices is likely to continue into Q2 2024, with an anticipated additional 10-15% increase.

And the reason is that companies have decided to constrain production and supply to ramp up prices.
So screw consumers, twice over.

They have been saying SSD prices are going up since last year and they have been already. If you think you might want an SSD you should buy one yesterday

Hugare

I finally decided to upgrade my SD card after years and noticed how expensive they are today

1 TB card costing 1/4 of a PS5 is kinda insane

My PC has a 1TB and a 2TB M.2. I think I'm good for a while.
I would like to eventually replace the 1TB with a 4TB and stick the 1TB somewhere else, perhaps a ps5pro.

CuNi

I got 2x 8TB SSDs and 1x 4TB SSD while prices were on an all-time low.
Kinda regret not getting 1 or 2 more 8TB SSDs but oh well.
Decked out for now. Gonna wait for new lows before spending money again.

Wondering if we're going to get new Hardware anytime soon, especially from Samsung in the SATA space.
The 870 QVO is 4 years old by now and the EVO nearly 3 years.
Would love to see a refresh of those series with bigger capacities since chips made some advancements since then surely.

I'm at a crossroade with storage devices. My 5TB HDD is coming up on 8 years old this November and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I really want a lot more space than that, but I'm not getting it for a reasonable price with solid state drives. At the same time, I am kind of ready to move on from HDDs and their slow ass access times, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I contemplated going with 2 x 4TB drives, but then I thought about how sketchy it would be backing up my photos and videos etc on SSDs, where if it fails then it's basically gone but at least with a HDD you can pull the magnetic disks and extract data from a "dead" drive. I dunno. All I know is eventually I'll be dead and the data I've been hoarding for the last 25 years will eventually become meaningless to any remaining living members of my family so does it even matter?

Fuck that got dark there at the end. Anyways sucks about these SSD prices eh

Kenpachii

Happy i upgraded in november last year, 2tb and 4tb ssd for my laptop. Costed a few bucks but hey atleast space enough.

Top Bottom